11th and Grand Northeast

Issues concerning Downtown as described by the Downtown Council. River to 31st Street, I-35 to Bruce R. Watkins.
Chris Stritzel
Penntower
Penntower

11th and Grand Northeast

Post by Chris Stritzel »

Per Kevin Collison...
A tentative proposal by Sunflower Development Group and the Alexander Co. to build a 115-unit apartment project on a parking lot where the Shoppers Parkade garage once stood at the northeast corner of 11th and Grand.

That $30.5 million proposal calls for an apartment building atop a podium that would have 115 parking spaces. The facade of the first level would include retail space.
Should be a nice addition that starts chipping away at that block sized parking lot. I included Google Street views (one form 2009 showing the garage and a view from 2019 as well as an overhead view).

Story Link: https://cityscenekc.com/downtown-apartm ... -deadline/
Highlander
City Center Square
City Center Square

Re: 11th and Grand Northeast

Post by Highlander »

What percentage of the current block will be occupied by the structure? I wish some of the larger proposals were on this block given its prominence and that the entire block is dedicated to surface parking. This is one of the smaller proposals.

So is the 10% affordable and 10% extremely affordable now requirements mandated for incentives?
Chris Stritzel
Penntower
Penntower

Post by Chris Stritzel »

Highlander wrote: Wed Apr 21, 2021 2:01 pm What percentage of the current block will be occupied by the structure? I wish some of the larger proposals were on this block given its prominence and that the entire block is dedicated to surface parking. This is one of the smaller proposals.

So is the 10% affordable and 10% extremely affordable now requirements mandated for incentives?
Looking at the parcel viewer, the site is an L shape and takes up maybe a little more than a third of the block. As far as the affordable requirements, that's why these projects were applied for before the deadline in early April. Now I think it is a requirement. So any new project that is proposed that didn't get in before the deadline, and wants incentives, will be mandated to include the 10% affordable and 10% extremely affordable units.
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

I'm glad to see development on this block. I was hoping the entire block would get developed at once, but anything is progress.
TheLastGentleman
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by TheLastGentleman »

FangKC wrote: Wed Apr 21, 2021 8:23 pm I'm glad to see development on this block. I was hoping the entire block would get developed at once, but anything is progress.
Hopefully it’s the start to a traditionally developed streetfront, with a number of different buildings and uses right next door to each other
Chris Stritzel
Penntower
Penntower

Post by Chris Stritzel »

The current parking lot has 98 parking spaces (according to an aerial view). The development plan calls for 115 spaces for the 115 apartments. With elevators, ramps, stairs and what not, it looks like the parking garage will be 2-stories on top of retail space and building/parking entrances.

Depending on the size of the apartments, it could be a 4 or 5-story building on top of that. So this building could be around 7-8 floors in height. Not tall, but not bad. It adds density. Hopefully the parking garage is concealed a bit so that it doesn't stick out much.
TheLastGentleman wrote: Wed Apr 21, 2021 8:43 pm Hopefully it’s the start to a traditionally developed streetfront, with a number of different buildings and uses right next door to each other
I agree, although I'd prefer no hotels be built on this block considering the AC Hotel and Embassy are planned right next door to this block. But if a hotel was proposed, that would just add to a mixed-use block. I'd prefer offices and housing here along with community/neighborhood amenities.