Old KCPS HQ - 12th & McGee

Issues concerning Downtown as described by the Downtown Council. River to 31st Street, I-35 to Bruce R. Watkins.
Highlander
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Re: Old KCPS HQ - 12th & McGee

Post by Highlander »

Two full contiguous downtown blocks just north of the TMobile Center (or whatever it's called now) will be almost 100% occupied by surface lots. That's a bad look for the city. And the block just west of Grand is primarily a parking garage with little commercial activity at ground level. Seems like DT KC can never really fill up it's surface lots. Fill up some and others appear elsewhere. It's like trying to get air bubbles out of a water bed.

Why did the School Board move to 29th and Troost? That's a pretty hideous building they are in there.

Hopefully, the property values in these locations will at some point in the future demand something more dense than surface parking.

TheLastGentleman
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by TheLastGentleman »

I hate that there's no development planned for this site, but am I the only one who's a little bit glad this is getting torn down? It's not just that the building is ugly, but it really wrecks the surrounding urban fabric. Obviously, a big parking lot will be doing more damage in the interim, but any future development built there will almost certainly be light-years better in every respect than the BoE building ever was. Probably won't happen anytime soon though.....

I'll be turning in my "preservationist" pin I guess.

normalthings
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by normalthings »

Highlander wrote:
Sat Aug 01, 2020 5:18 pm
Two full contiguous downtown blocks just north of the TMobile Center (or whatever it's called now) will be almost 100% occupied by surface lots. That's a bad look for the city. And the block just west of Grand is primarily a parking garage with little commercial activity at ground level. Seems like DT KC can never really fill up it's surface lots. Fill up some and others appear elsewhere. It's like trying to get air bubbles out of a water bed.

Why did the School Board move to 29th and Troost? That's a pretty hideous building they are in there.

Hopefully, the property values in these locations will at some point in the future demand something more dense than surface parking.
Demand is there to start filling in these blocks. 13 Grand even has a TIF plan in place. Seems like Copaken just wants to wait until a mega tenant magically appears one day.

I will say, turning BOE into parking would allow The Grand parking to be moved freeing up 13 Grand for redevelopment.

DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

Highlander wrote:

Riverite
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by Riverite »

DaveKCMO wrote:
Sat Aug 01, 2020 9:21 pm
Highlander wrote:

Yikes, that looks terrible

Highlander
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by Highlander »

Riverite wrote:
Sat Aug 01, 2020 9:23 pm
DaveKCMO wrote:
Sat Aug 01, 2020 9:21 pm
Highlander wrote:

Yikes, that looks terrible
It does. But it's not really downtown. It's in a dense largely residential area about 20 city blocks west of Downtown Chicago.

FangKC
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by FangKC »

TheLastGentleman wrote:
Sat Aug 01, 2020 6:05 pm
I hate that there's no development planned for this site, but am I the only one who's a little bit glad this is getting torn down? It's not just that the building is ugly, but it really wrecks the surrounding urban fabric. Obviously, a big parking lot will be doing more damage in the interim, but any future development built there will almost certainly be light-years better in every respect than the BoE building ever was. Probably won't happen anytime soon though.....

I'll be turning in my "preservationist" pin I guess.
Ecologist pin as well. The greenest building is a building that is already built.

dukuboy1
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by dukuboy1 »

I thought there had been a new rendering for development in this area, beyond the twisty building. It does stink that there is that much blank/open parking rang lad in that area. It will kind of be a hole now with what is around it. However I do like the fact they tore down a building that was aging and in decay. Not sure what is worse a building that looks vacant, rundown, and a hazard, or an empty lot? Hoping something will come into that area sooner, rather than later

scooterj
Ambassador

Post by scooterj »

I heard a rumor that there were anywhere from 50-150 homeless found living on the upper floors of the building just before demolition began. Evidently since the elevators were not working, security sweeps i the building rarely went up high enough to flush them out.