Hotel Bravo- 17th and Wyandotte

Issues concerning Downtown as described by the Downtown Council. River to 31st Street, I-35 to Bruce R. Watkins.
kcjak
Penntower
Penntower
Posts: 2144
Joined: Thu Nov 29, 2007 3:02 pm

Re: Hotel Bravo- 17th and Wyandotte

Post by kcjak » Thu Oct 10, 2019 7:49 am

beautyfromashes wrote:
Wed Oct 09, 2019 9:46 pm
If they finally reject this, does it get built anyway?
Days Inn *Select*

User avatar
beautyfromashes
Oak Tower
Oak Tower
Posts: 4781
Joined: Mon Mar 21, 2005 11:04 am

Re: Hotel Bravo- 17th and Wyandotte

Post by beautyfromashes » Thu Oct 10, 2019 12:35 pm

mister816 wrote:
Wed Oct 09, 2019 9:52 pm
beautyfromashes wrote:
Wed Oct 09, 2019 9:46 pm
If they finally reject this, does it get built anyway?
nope
So, if that’s the case, the council is risking losing $Ms in revenue for mostly political or optical reasons? How is that in our best interest as citizens?

mean
Administrator
Administrator
Posts: 10841
Joined: Wed Feb 05, 2003 9:00 am
Location: Historic Northeast

Re: Hotel Bravo- 17th and Wyandotte

Post by mean » Thu Oct 10, 2019 1:46 pm

I assume they think it's in their best interest for reelection: the reason literally any politician does anything ever.

User avatar
DaveKCMO
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Posts: 17622
Joined: Sun Nov 27, 2005 6:22 pm
Location: Crossroads
Contact:

Re: Hotel Bravo- 17th and Wyandotte

Post by DaveKCMO » Thu Oct 10, 2019 2:10 pm

beautyfromashes wrote:
Thu Oct 10, 2019 12:35 pm
mister816 wrote:
Wed Oct 09, 2019 9:52 pm
beautyfromashes wrote:
Wed Oct 09, 2019 9:46 pm
If they finally reject this, does it get built anyway?
nope
So, if that’s the case, the council is risking losing $Ms in revenue for mostly political or optical reasons? How is that in our best interest as citizens?
Same logic applies to Strata, and the streetcar for some on the council.

User avatar
beautyfromashes
Oak Tower
Oak Tower
Posts: 4781
Joined: Mon Mar 21, 2005 11:04 am

Re: Hotel Bravo- 17th and Wyandotte

Post by beautyfromashes » Thu Oct 10, 2019 2:31 pm

DaveKCMO wrote:
Thu Oct 10, 2019 2:10 pm
Same logic applies to Strata, and the streetcar for some on the council.
It feels different than Strata though. I feel like with Strata they like the project and want office buildings but are trying to negotiate out the city backing piece. It feels like with this they just don’t want it. If they actually are negotiating on this hotel to pay less in incentives, then great. If they negotiate away it’s construction at all, that’s a loss for the city for no reason.

User avatar
normalthings
Valencia Place
Valencia Place
Posts: 1949
Joined: Mon Mar 30, 2015 9:52 pm

Re: Hotel Bravo- 17th and Wyandotte

Post by normalthings » Thu Oct 10, 2019 4:32 pm

beautyfromashes wrote:
Thu Oct 10, 2019 2:31 pm
DaveKCMO wrote:
Thu Oct 10, 2019 2:10 pm
Same logic applies to Strata, and the streetcar for some on the council.
It feels different than Strata though. I feel like with Strata they like the project and want office buildings but are trying to negotiate out the city backing piece. It feels like with this they just don’t want it. If they actually are negotiating on this hotel to pay less in incentives, then great. If they negotiate away it’s construction at all, that’s a loss for the city for no reason.
The Strata team comes off as knowledgeable and well prepared. Copaken Brooks knows what they are doing which is already known and confirmed by how they have handled themselves through this. CB is active in the community and donates to charities and politicians. More jobs in a new office building isn’t a hard sell politically. Summary: Good Developer, Good Project, Will Probably Get Built

The Bravo team comes off as the exact opposite. They come unprepared for meetings and do not reach out to the relevant organizations on time or at all. Their project doesn’t seem fully fleshed out and I personally struggle to understand why they are including a performance center down the street. It adds little value to the project and just sucks up more funds. The developers aren’t well know and pretty much zero information can be found out about them online. An ultra luxury hotel is a hard sell politically. Summary: Bad Developer, Bad Project, No Build

User avatar
FangKC
City Center Square
City Center Square
Posts: 14119
Joined: Sat Jul 26, 2003 10:02 pm
Location: Old Northeast -- Indian Mound

Re: Hotel Bravo- 17th and Wyandotte

Post by FangKC » Thu Oct 10, 2019 10:04 pm

I think they are trying to lock in an incentives deal before the incentives dry up.

User avatar
beautyfromashes
Oak Tower
Oak Tower
Posts: 4781
Joined: Mon Mar 21, 2005 11:04 am

Re: Hotel Bravo- 17th and Wyandotte

Post by beautyfromashes » Thu Oct 10, 2019 11:11 pm

normalthings wrote: The Strata team comes off as knowledgeable and well prepared. Copaken Brooks knows what they are doing which is already known and confirmed by how they have handled themselves through this.
It’s interesting that you say this because the Strata meeting that I saw, I was really annoyed at the statements from one of the presenters. Older gentlemen, white hair, didn’t catch his name. He started talking about the need for parking DT and how it was going to become critical, that the city should double parking spaces... really arrogant too. It seemed like such a 1980s presentation. I do like the design of the building, it just makes me desirous of a fresh crop of developers in this city. The old guard needs to go.

kenrbnj
Parking Garage
Parking Garage
Posts: 42
Joined: Thu Apr 25, 2019 9:16 am

Re: Hotel Bravo- 17th and Wyandotte

Post by kenrbnj » Fri Oct 11, 2019 8:30 am

normalthings wrote:
Thu Oct 10, 2019 4:32 pm
beautyfromashes wrote:
Thu Oct 10, 2019 2:31 pm
DaveKCMO wrote:
Thu Oct 10, 2019 2:10 pm
Same logic applies to Strata, and the streetcar for some on the council.
It feels different than Strata though. I feel like with Strata they like the project and want office buildings but are trying to negotiate out the city backing piece. It feels like with this they just don’t want it. If they actually are negotiating on this hotel to pay less in incentives, then great. If they negotiate away it’s construction at all, that’s a loss for the city for no reason.
The Strata team comes off as knowledgeable and well prepared. Copaken Brooks knows what they are doing which is already known and confirmed by how they have handled themselves through this. CB is active in the community and donates to charities and politicians. More jobs in a new office building isn’t a hard sell politically. Summary: Good Developer, Good Project, Will Probably Get Built

The Bravo team comes off as the exact opposite. They come unprepared for meetings and do not reach out to the relevant organizations on time or at all. Their project doesn’t seem fully fleshed out and I personally struggle to understand why they are including a performance center down the street. It adds little value to the project and just sucks up more funds. The developers aren’t well know and pretty much zero information can be found out about them online. An ultra luxury hotel is a hard sell politically. Summary: Bad Developer, Bad Project, No Build
You nailed it. I am sitting in my office in NY, drinking pumpkin spice coffee* and I can hear those guys laughing.

Strata is delivering a product the CBD *needs*, but the City Council expressed reservations with heavy-handed incentives.

Bravo is adding to a market that is largely addressed AND seeking inordinate tax incentives? Day drinking.

Don't get me wrong; I had been and always will be a proponent of tax incentives - especially TIF. The developers in KC-land have managed to turn tax incentives into a land grab. Moreover, as the CBD has become desirable, in-part due to tax incentives. At what point does the city begin to reap benefit from the incentives of the past?


*Yes. I actually do like Pumpkin Spice coffee.

User avatar
FangKC
City Center Square
City Center Square
Posts: 14119
Joined: Sat Jul 26, 2003 10:02 pm
Location: Old Northeast -- Indian Mound

Re: Hotel Bravo- 17th and Wyandotte

Post by FangKC » Sat Oct 12, 2019 12:06 am

Yes, antibiotics are necessary, but they have to be used responsibly and not for all situations. TIF is the same. TIF was necessary to create the environment for private reinvestment to happen. Once the Loop is healthy, there will still be a need to apply TIF to solve problems in other areas.

User avatar
beautyfromashes
Oak Tower
Oak Tower
Posts: 4781
Joined: Mon Mar 21, 2005 11:04 am

Re: Hotel Bravo- 17th and Wyandotte

Post by beautyfromashes » Sat Oct 12, 2019 1:50 am

FangKC wrote:
Sat Oct 12, 2019 12:06 am
Yes, antibiotics are necessary, but they have to be used responsibly and not for all situations. TIF is the same. TIF was necessary to create the environment for private reinvestment to happen. Once the Loop is healthy, there will still be a need to apply TIF to solve problems in other areas.
It seems to me that whether this hotel is built without the incentives will be the test of if we have entered this new stage you talk about.

User avatar
DaveKCMO
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Posts: 17622
Joined: Sun Nov 27, 2005 6:22 pm
Location: Crossroads
Contact:

Re: Hotel Bravo- 17th and Wyandotte

Post by DaveKCMO » Sat Oct 12, 2019 7:06 am

Other downtown hotels have been built with no incentives. That test has concluded.

Post Reply