New forum software

Announcements about the forum as well as comments, questions, ideas for the forum or the website in general.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Re: New forum software

Post by KCPowercat »

im2kull wrote: I honestly see no pros in the new forum. 
Soo far im very dissapointed...this whole layout and the features we lost totally suck.  The next time we need an upgrade, ill gladly donate a  quad core 1gz zeon with 2tb of hot swappable bays just to ghost over and avoid any disruptions like this....thats how much I am hating this site right now.  no offense..
I'm interested in the features that were lost too...by my check, there are more in this version.  This had nothing to do with hardware BTW....think I have a server farm in my condo?
http://downtownkcmo.blogspot.com

Tweeting live from Big 12 tournament @downtownkc
bahua
Administrator
Administrator

Post by bahua »

KCPowercat wrote: think I have a server farm in my condo?
Yes.
im2kull
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by im2kull »

Ohh I shoulda read more into this then, I thought you upgraded the forum because of some hardware failure or change...so you figured might as well upgrade during the downtime.  Well, Im just hoping this can get back to normal...but if you do need some extra hardware during changes, to make seamless transitions, then I'd be happy to help, unless you condo really is a server farm...thats impressive.
What's graciously given to KC, is strong for the region as a whole.  Passion and benevolence will one day exeem towards all whom know true adoration.  We shall triumph to better the community as One within
THINK (ONE) KC.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

this site isn't hosted anywhere in KC.  In my eyes it wouldn't be impressive to have a server farm in my home....but maybe I'm weird.

What you see now is "normal".  What features are you missing?

bbqboy
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by bbqboy »

Pictures, upon loading in Firefox on Mac, start degrading into white lines before they're finished loading. Is this me, or homeland security?
im2kull
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by im2kull »

Every once in awhile, abuot 40% of the time, the reply button seems to be gone from the bottom and I must revert to the top.  Theres no choice in layout theme...im not sayin there was before...but i kinda expected it with teh new software.  The layout is dinky, honestly, and its harder to navigate with the button that are now mini and non discript...they just kinda lurk aroudn.
What's graciously given to KC, is strong for the region as a whole.  Passion and benevolence will one day exeem towards all whom know true adoration.  We shall triumph to better the community as One within
THINK (ONE) KC.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

use the quick reply feature...I've never hit the reply button.  At the bottom of the thread expand "quick reply".

So there were no themes before and there are none now but you say there are less features?

Just give it some time.....I know new things make people confused at the beginning...you'll learn it quickly.

im2kull
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by im2kull »

See...Im not seein the quick reply, unless its just the button labeled "reply" I use the quick reply box on most other boards, tho I dont remember if I ever saw it on here, I never paid attention to that, but oh well.  The only big thing bothering me is the bland colors and the layout seems scrunched, along with the fact that the links are like one size too small...
THINK (ONE) KC.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

Go to your profile > look and layout >Use quick reply on topic diplay

change that to use quick reply.

A lot of things can be changed in the forum in your profile.....everybody might want to check that out to see how they could customize the site a little to make it work better for them...rather than just complaining.

kard
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by kard »

bbqboy wrote: Pictures, upon loading in Firefox on Mac, start degrading into white lines before they're finished loading. Is this me, or homeland security?
Works fine for me with Firefox on my iMac...
Haikus are easy
But sometimes they don't make sense
Refrigerator
bbqboy
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by bbqboy »

that narrows it down to Homeland Security....
Roanoker
Penntower
Penntower

Post by Roanoker »

KCPowercat wrote: I can't believe people actually want an email about PM anyways but that's beside the issue.
I suppose other, getting-to-know-the-site surface lots like me will need the email notifications for a while, sort of like a security blanket. (lips pressed together and twisted to the side--couldn't find relevant face icon)
“Give up money, give up fame, give up science, give the earth itself and all it contains rather than do an immoral act.” —Thomas Jefferson (1785)
MidWestSider
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by MidWestSider »

What do you do when you get to the bottom of the last page of a thread?  Click > go up > Show unread posts since last visit?  Scroll up >  Show unread posts since last visit?

Would there be anyway possible to put a "Show unread posts since last visit" link at the bottom of the page?
kard
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by kard »

What are the rules for the search feature?

When I'm in a thread and I enter text in to the search box and hit search, I think I'm only getting results for that category.

Example:  If I'm in the Downtown thread and I search for "bridge", I only get results from that category.  I wouldn't get results from New Stadiums Discussion, etc.

Is that how it is suposed to work?  That's the first time I've noticed it.

It's kind of a nice feature, actually, but a little note near the box could help avoid some confusion.
Haikus are easy
But sometimes they don't make sense
Refrigerator
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

not sure....I guess it just searches the area you are in.....that could be changed but yeah just a note telling people that would be good.