Please No More Vulgar Language and Swearing on This Site

Announcements about the forum as well as comments, questions, ideas for the forum or the website in general.
Karin
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by Karin »

Every time I visit this site, I am astounded by the amount of offensive language that is used.

Oftentimes forum users intersperse their comments on development with unnecessary vulgarities and swear words that do not contribute in the least bit to the discussion. Can't members express themselves without resorting to such "in the gutter" type language? Or is this just too much to ask?

This site should implement some standards and a "code of conduct" for participants.

Many new people might be interested in KC Development and joining the forum but would be offended by the filthy and crude language that is so common on here.

Thank you.
K. Valentine
KCDevin

Post by KCDevin »

I've refrained from cursing since 2002, but now I'm just fed up with the way I'm being treated by others just because I am different than they are.

I have already stopped cursing and I would love it if other forum members did the same thing... And I'd love it if everyone would quit being so aggressive. I post an opinion, I don't expect people to come back and tear the crud out of me.

I've tried and tried and tried to return to the way I was, but every time someone opens their mouth and spews out any insult or makes me mad, I go back to the way I was...

I would love to become the old Devin again, but people just need to trust me, and people need to put up with my opinions and just remain quiet even if they don't like the opinion.

The forum now, compared with in 2002 is alot different and it's alot worse... Alot more negativity and alot more bashing and flaming.

I will stop my flaming and bashing if everyone else would do the same to each other...

NO MORE CURSING, NO MORE FLAMING, NO MORE BASHING, NO MORE INSULTS, NO MORE OPINION BASHING...

I want it the way it used to be...
staubio
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by staubio »

KCDevin wrote:I've refrained from cursing since 2002, but now I'm just fed up with the way I'm being treated by others just because I am different than they are.

I have already stopped cursing and I would love it if other forum members did the same thing... And I'd love it if everyone would quit being so aggressive. I post an opinion, I don't expect people to come back and tear the crud out of me.

I've tried and tried and tried to return to the way I was, but every time someone opens their mouth and spews out any insult or makes me mad, I go back to the way I was...

I would love to become the old Devin again, but people just need to trust me, and people need to put up with my opinions and just remain quiet even if they don't like the opinion.

The forum now, compared with in 2002 is alot different and it's alot worse... Alot more negativity and alot more bashing and flaming.

I will stop my flaming and bashing if everyone else would do the same to each other...

NO MORE CURSING, NO MORE FLAMING, NO MORE BASHING, NO MORE INSULTS, NO MORE OPINION BASHING...

I want it the way it used to be...
With the exception of a few trouble members, the forum hasn't been worse at all. The trouble folks have been dealt with.

I don't think anybody attacks you personally, Devin. You come out with stubborn opinions and treat them like fact -- and then you aren't willing to subject them to debate. If what you are saying comes off as disagreeable to someone, you better believe that they are going to respond. If you continue to be irrational about it, it isn't going to get you anywhere.

What is the deal with this old Devin/new Devin stuff anyway? You are young and your opinions are developing. Guess what? If I still believed everything I believed when I was your age, I'd be a very different person. There are a lot of people on here that know a lot about things and have a lot more experience than you. Look at disagreement as an opportunity to gain perspective. If you can't understand why people who disagree with you feel the way that they do, your opinion is worthless.

Contribute, but realize that your opinion is just that -- an opinion. Many people have had a lot more time and experience to form theirs. People want and need different things. Saying that somebody's hometown "plainly sucks" is intolerant, rude and counterproductive. I'd much rather have swearing than you alienating people whose prospectives are valuable. We want people from Kearney to be engaged into the process as well. It is great to see them excited about the city -- no need to bash them, they are on our side.

I hate sprawl as much as anybody, but don't pretend you know why someone makes the choices they make. You can help them see consequences, but you can't decide what is best for them. Besides, if you want to flaunt those lofty census numbers, you need all of those outliers. KCMO alone doesn't make us 2 million.

So chill out and listen as much as you talk. You'll learn a lot. I've read a ton about urban development and I've really kept up on KC and I learn things everyday and get new perspectives. If you think that is below you, you'll never, ever grow.

As far as the language is concerned, I think that is up to KCP. I don't think it is pandemic by any means. I think KCP works hard to make this an open forum with little censorship and that is the path he has taken. We all defer to him because this is his party. Still, I don't think it is unreasonable to ask people to try to limit their swearing through self-policing, particularly in higher-profile threads. The bar and dumpster have a place for all that stuff.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

I try to monitor the language to a degree....I have probably been guilty as well.

You shouldn't have to drop a 4 letter word to get your point across. I will try and do a better job of getting rid of just blatent vulgar language....if you see something that bothers you, my email and PM are always on.
http://downtownkcmo.blogspot.com

Tweeting live from Big 12 tournament @downtownkc
dangerboy
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by dangerboy »

I don't think the language is any worse than regular casual conversation. The standard of what is "profane" is relaxing across the whole society, this board is just a reflection of that.
Beltonhawk
New York Life
New York Life

Post by Beltonhawk »

people just need to trust me, and people need to put up with my opinions and just remain quiet even if they don't like the opinion
Are you serious? Get over yourself Devin. Opinions are just that, opinions. Not fact. I'm glad you trust and defend your opinions, but you're so close-minded that nobody will ever take you seriously.
trailerkid
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by trailerkid »

I like to throw in an f-bomb every once in a while just for impact. In certain discussions I don't see anything wrong with it. Everyone on the board is over 13.
Anonymous

Post by Anonymous »

Beltonhawk wrote:
people just need to trust me, and people need to put up with my opinions and just remain quiet even if they don't like the opinion
Are you serious? Get over yourself Devin. Opinions are just that, opinions. Not fact. I'm glad you trust and defend your opinions, but you're so close-minded that nobody will ever take you seriously.
I agree with BeltonHawk, Devin sometimes think that his opinions are fact and if someone disagress with him he gets upset. But if you can't have an opposing opinion, how can you have a thought provoking discussion?

I learned in debate class that you have to research both sides of an arguement, for and against, and we had to defend each side as well. This is how I try to approach things, look at the all of the facts, and then make an opinion. Not the other way around....
nota
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by nota »

There aren't too many of us females here. I guess we are the ones who should be offended by language if anyone is.

Being sworn at offends me, but just reading it once or twice in a thread doesn't too often.

But I just tell whoever swears at me to knock it off. If they don't, I just ignore them.

Being someone who uses many many online forums, I can truthfully say this forum is quite tame compared to the rest.

I appreciate the way KC and gang keep it in line and the discussions going in a productive direction.
KCDevin

Post by KCDevin »

My opinions are fact to me.. Maybe not to anyone else, but I don't care frankly. Anything beyond my own opinion doesn't matter.

Other people's opinions are their own opinions, and I really don't care about their opinions since well, I don't believe in their opinions. I make up my own opinions. I don't listen to other's opinions and base mine on theirs, that to me is just stupid.

I HATE debating. If I could stop every debate class in the world I would... Debating brings nothing good. Politics suck, especially modern politics. What is the point of debating when people don't even listen to themselves when making decisions?

My opinions may be twisted, weird or wrong to you guys, but your opinions are just the same to me. Wrong.

I don't like it when ANYONE confronts me or talks bad about me. If you do so I will be on you about it... I don't like bad things said to me or about me. The only reason I bash other people and their opinions is because I feel I have been insulted or I feel they are bashing my opinion.
No one has the right to tell me my opinions are messed up. And I don't have the right to do the same to them.

EDIT:

I loved this forum when we had nothing but positive opinions. Then it got screwed up when people with negative opinions came on.

My whole internet life was freaking screwed up last year, just because of one incident. I wish people would forget EVERYTHING I have ever said that was bad... I would be much much much happier if people focused only on my good traits and never say anything negative about me. If I accidentally insult some1, don't set off on me, that'll just make things worse... If I insult someone, just tell me, but don't be aggressive or anything else.

Lastly, I don't understand how it'd be boring to have nothing but a positive enviornment with postive opinons. This forum was sooo awsome before August of last year.
After that, the people at SSP screwed up my life and then I got an even worse reputation... Now look at me.

Ever since I opened myself up to forming my own opinions instead of using my religion and parental advice I've screwed up my entire internet reputation...

Some1 said I'm growing up and forming my own opinions. And they didn't understand the whole old Devin new Devin thing... Before August 2003, my internet life was great, I was always positive, nice, happy, caring, having fun, and basically being what everyone should always be, a little innocent child (even though I was 15). Then, the day I was banned from SSP and was constantly bashed and bigoted against, I was snatched by satan and now look at me, head deep in a terrible reputation and going by my human instincts.

The old Devin was a much much better Christian than the new one. The old one was full of God's grace and love. Then, I made one mistake, and the new Devin emerged, held by satan and drug into a pit of misery. Constantly being challenged and fought against...

I want to go back to the way I used to be. Full of God's love and grace, welcoming to everyone, "loved" (not literally) by everyone. With no negatives being brought up against me and having the best time anyone could have on the internet.

Instead of being "the Jive of KC" or the "scourge of SSP" or "GuyedGuy" I want to be the nice, kind, calm, loved christian of KC.

Some of you just don't know how much it hurts to have people talk about you badly. Or having your parent's telling you that "that's not what we tought you" because you internet life has molded into offline life. Or having people at Church still think your the innocent, kind kid that was a very good Christian.

Now it is very hard to resist satan's temptations and being led closer and closer to spiritual death. And it's hard to return to your old ways with constant steriotypes and negative obstacles around you.
Maitre D
The Quiet Chair
The Quiet Chair

Post by Maitre D »

KCDevin wrote:The old Devin was a much much better Christian than the new one. The old one was full of God's grace and love. Then, I made one mistake, and the new Devin emerged, held by satan and drug into a pit of misery. Constantly being challenged and fought against...

Now it is very hard to resist satan's temptations and being led closer and closer to spiritual death. And it's hard to return to your old ways with constant steriotypes and negative obstacles around you.
This has to be one of the most interesting things I've read on a chat room in a while. Devin, I enjoy your posts, even when you tell me that I "shouldn't challenge" you on facts.
[img width=472 height=40]http://media.kansascity.com/images/champions_blue.gif[/img]

"For 15 years...KU won every time. There was no rivalry" - Frank Martin
KCDevin

Post by KCDevin »

enjoy as in making fun of and finding them funny? I'm being serious on this stuff man...
WoodDraw
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by WoodDraw »

I'd like to point out that the only person I remember ever seeing bring up this "SSP Devin event" here on this website since I've been here is Devin.
KCDevin

Post by KCDevin »

that is since you've joined though... And I know people at SSP talk about it. And I know people at SSC talk about it.
trailerkid
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by trailerkid »

I'm still waiting for forum member KCDervin to emerge... :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

KCDevin is the most infamous poster in skyscraper/development history.
QueSi2Opie
Bryant Building
Bryant Building
Location: Hangin' with the cons, crazies, and crackheads on 11th & Grand.

Post by QueSi2Opie »

I'll try to leave my foul language in The Bar and The Dumpster, but asking anything more would be too much. [-X

I'm all about Free Speech...even from some of our former "banned" members.
The Pendergast Poltergeist Project!

I finally divorced beer and proposed to whiskey, but I occassionally cheat with fine wine.
staubio
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by staubio »

KCDevin wrote:My opinions are fact to me.. Maybe not to anyone else, but I don't care frankly. Anything beyond my own opinion doesn't matter.

Other people's opinions are their own opinions, and I really don't care about their opinions since well, I don't believe in their opinions. I make up my own opinions. I don't listen to other's opinions and base mine on theirs, that to me is just stupid.

I HATE debating. If I could stop every debate class in the world I would... Debating brings nothing good. Politics suck, especially modern politics. What is the point of debating when people don't even listen to themselves when making decisions?

My opinions may be twisted, weird or wrong to you guys, but your opinions are just the same to me. Wrong.

I don't like it when ANYONE confronts me or talks bad about me. If you do so I will be on you about it... I don't like bad things said to me or about me. The only reason I bash other people and their opinions is because I feel I have been insulted or I feel they are bashing my opinion.
No one has the right to tell me my opinions are messed up. And I don't have the right to do the same to them.
If you know your opinions and you won't change them, you don't want them open to scrutiny and you feel that other people's opinions are useless to you, why do you bother posting here?
KCDevin

Post by KCDevin »

I post here because I love KC and I want to keep up with it's projects and development.

Anyone who posts here only for companionship or socializing is here for the wrong reason.

Staubio, like I said, I'm different today than I was a little over a year ago. I've tried countless times to change, but I just haven't been able to because of stubborn comments like this:

"If you know your opinions and you won't change them, you don't want them open to scrutiny and you feel that other people's opinions are useless to you, why do you bother posting here?"

Also, I post my opinions just so others can see what I believe. I don't post them just so they can be critisized and challenged. Anyone who does post their opinions just so they can be challenged is doing it for the wrong reason.

What I expect from you all is support, encouraging me to change, being nice to me, etc... Like it used to be...

I just want to be treated better, we all used to be treated equally, and now, I'm treated like some screwed up freak.
nota
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by nota »

KCDevin wrote:
What I expect from you all is support, encouraging me to change, being nice to me, etc... Like it used to be...

I just want to be treated better, we all used to be treated equally, and now, I'm treated like some screwed up freak.
Devin-have you ever heard of the Golden Rule? "Do unto others as you would have them do unto you."

What you don't or won't try to understand is that everyone has an opinion. And that yours aren't always the right ones.

Discussion of multiple facets of an issue often brings change and certainly bring the sides closer together. And most often, it brings a better end result than one side or another.

It is my understanding that you were banned from another forum for cause. You need to grow up, accept that you were the problem and move on. It isn't their fault, it is yours. And it is your job to change it if you choose-no one else can change you.

Have you ever talked to your pastor about this stuff?
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

devin, I think you've built up in your head this opinion of you more than anybody else has ever thought about.

There aren't topics on ssp talking about you either. I don't even know what the "incident" is. People on here couldn't care less.

Listening to other opinions can do nothing but expand your point of view and get you to think about things another way.
http://downtownkcmo.blogspot.com

Tweeting live from Big 12 tournament @downtownkc