Explain why you have me on ignore or...

Announcements about the forum as well as comments, questions, ideas for the forum or the website in general.
KCDevin

Post by KCDevin »

I would like explanations as to why people have me on ignore or that simply don't like me. That way I can change the way I conduct myself on this forum. I am tired of being hated and mocked.
I don't understand why someone would create a new name mocking me, or why someone would take all they aggression out on me... Please Explain.
trailerkid
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by trailerkid »

Devin...be yourself. You cannot change yourself because someone doesn't like you. So what if someone has you on ignore? Just be aware of what you say and how others might see it when they read it.
chrizow
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by chrizow »

well....the people who have you on ignore won't see this thread, but....

i dont think anyone actually dislikes you. no one even knows you.

all we do know is that you piss people off by espousing a very narrow view of the world, which judges people. while you are firm in your beliefs and (most of us) can respect that, you should also realize that some people find your views to be VERY radical and extreme.

while you might think you're simply speaking "truth," many people think you are in fantasyland. that would be just fine, but sometimes you tend to get really preachy and judgmental.

whether you are right in your beliefs or not, people dont like to be told they are immoral, ignorant, going to hell, or vile because of their sexuality or lifestyle or religion. discussion and debate is fine. your views are fine. but you come across as VERY narrow-minded, VERY judgmental, and VERY closed-off in your own head.

open up a little bit. be a little more fun and a little less fire and brimstone. believe what you believe and talk about it, but leave the judgments in your head. leave that to god.
KCDevin

Post by KCDevin »

^ Hehe thanks you guys, that is something I will think about...

It is kinda hard to be myself after the bad reputation i have gotten over time. People expect me to be a certain way, and its a habit to be that way.

Another thing that caused me to create this is that I didn't see any reason for someone to create that alternate name "KCDervin" on SSC and here. It was either to mock me or just for fun. I just want to know which one it was and if it was mean't for harm or just fun.
chrizow
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by chrizow »

KCDervin?

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHA
trailerkid
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by trailerkid »

KCDevin wrote:^ Hehe thanks you guys, that is something I will think about...

It is kinda hard to be myself after the bad reputation i have gotten over time. People expect me to be a certain way, and its a habit to be that way.

Another thing that caused me to create this is that I didn't see any reason for someone to create that alternate name "KCDervin" on SSC and here. It was either to mock me or just for fun. I just want to know which one it was and if it was mean't for harm or just fun.
KCDervin...it's funny. Someone has a sense of humor about it...you should to. Take it as a compliment for someone to go through all that trouble to create a ID based on you.

I and many other forumers don't know about "reputation" because we don't visit SSP.com. I think there's only around 5-7 people on here that go use that forum.

BTW, it was probably Jive or Que or somebody just having fun.
Last edited by trailerkid on Thu Jul 15, 2004 10:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
KCDevin

Post by KCDevin »

I think it was just a joke, it was funny IMO.
chrizow
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by chrizow »

Devin is a SSP legend, even though he has been banned for a long time.

and i still dont know why.
trailerkid
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by trailerkid »

chrizow wrote:Devin is a SSP legend, even though he has been banned for a long time.

and i still dont know why.
Well...his persona is pretty unique. I've never really been around a teenage skyscraper enthusiast who's a fundamentalist Christian and can rattle off population estimates or info about the floor plates of 1KCPlace or how many feet the Landmark/BMA tower is.

A KC original, that's for sure :D
KCDevin

Post by KCDevin »

good or bad reputation? I think the only person i'm hated by is Fflint. Everyone else has seemed to have forgiven me.
chrizow
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by chrizow »

no bad reputation. it just seems like you come up in threads pretty often, often in good-natured jesting. it's amusing.
KCN
Penntower
Penntower

Post by KCN »

Yeah Devin don't look too much into it. A good sense of humor helps you get through anything, especially something as trivial as your reputation among a bunch of strangers online. You know you could bump into any of these people who butt heads w/ you on the streets and they'd have no idea it was you....they'd probably be very friendly to you and would like you as a person.

You've gotten a lot better in the past year. Keep trying to curb that tendency to go ape when someone disagrees with you. And realize when you're saying something that may sound bizarre to someone else.

It all boils down to respect...you get what you give.
tat2kc
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by tat2kc »

And another thing to remember, Devin, is that is an internet forum! Its really nothing to get too worked up about. Most people will say things on here they'd never say in person.

Some of the other members are right about one thing. When you tend to bring religion into the mix, it can come across as very judgemental and preachy. I can understand the point you are trying to make, but it does not always come across in a respectful way.

I've always been struck by what I see as two different types of Christians. The first type try to convert everyone to, not just Christianity, but to their specific brand of Christianity. They do so by quoting the bible, telling others what they are doing wrong, judging others, etc. Their religion is more vocal and finger pointing than anything else. The other kind of Christian seems to be the kind that professes their faith by their actions, and the way they treat others. They treat others with respect and kindess, and avoid at all costs telling others what their sins are and that they need to repent.

I'll give you an example, based on your comment referring to Mother Theresa. Here in the US, (and in other countries) her order of nuns run some shelters and hospices for persons with AIDS. I've seen a couple of these facilites. They don't preach to the people there, nor do they try to get them to repent. They treat these people with dignity and kindness, and try to make what time they have left comfortable. If and when the patients are ready to talk about religion, they are there to listen and sympathize and share their faith. Its the most amazing thing to see. That, to me, is what a good Christian should do. You minister to others by your example, and you're ready to share your faith with someone when they are ready, you don't preach at them.

Do that, buddy, and no one will be on your back again, guaranteed. Tell ya what. I'll start by removing the Leviticus quotes from my signature to show you i'll deal with you on a new level. But start flinging bible verses at me or others, and i'll fling some back at you!! :wink:
Are you sure we're talking about the same God here, because yours sounds kind of like a dick.
KCDevin

Post by KCDevin »

hehe ok, That was my original plan, but then I got the bad reputation and everything changed.
KCK
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by KCK »

I saw that KCDervin thing, it was pretty funny. Funniest part was that the post was an exact quote of something you said in the past. So if he was trying to make you look bad, he was using your words.
New Body, New Job, New SOUL!!!!

KCK IS BACK!!!!
KCDevin

Post by KCDevin »

yea, but who could it have been?
QueSi2Opie
Bryant Building
Bryant Building
Location: Hangin' with the cons, crazies, and crackheads on 11th & Grand.

Post by QueSi2Opie »

Devin, I wanna get one thing straight...I don't "hate" you, not even a tiny bit! Some of my greatest friends are people that I can have long heated debates (or arguements) with for hours/days. It allows both of us to learn something new or see the world in a different light. I think everyone tends to get under another person's skin every now and then, but there's never any long lasting hard feelings.

:twisted: + O:) = :cheers:
The Pendergast Poltergeist Project!

I finally divorced beer and proposed to whiskey, but I occassionally cheat with fine wine.