What happened to the forum Time-Out? (The temp. forum suspension)

Announcements about the forum as well as comments, questions, ideas for the forum or the website in general.
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: What happened to the forum Time-Out? (The temp. forum suspension)

Post by KCMax »

kcdcchef wrote: or the fact that is when this place was created. did anyone expect it to start and have 2,000 members with 2-300 of them damned active from day one? max did i guess.
I'm not sure how you are coming to that conclusion. The point is, they could have not returned at all if they found the site to be boring. But many people stayed. Why?
SAVE THE PLAZA - FROM ZOMBIES! Find out how at:

http://twitter.com/TheKCRag
im2kull
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by im2kull »

You know, all else aside...the solution to the problem isn't simply to AX the "General Discussion" and "KC Sports" boards.  The main point I'm trying to make here is that EVERYONE has the ability to control what they type on this board...and its up to us, the members, to post according to the rules and not trash this place.  Most members do exactly that, they post meaningful, well thought out, information.  There is no excuse for the sports board to have turned into a complete MU-KU Slander-fest.  We should have threads like "how are the royals doing this year?" "will pioli bring the chiefs back to dominance" and what not.  Just because its the sports board doesn't mean it should be a complete flame war in there.  Sure...some things can be allowed...hell...I'm all for freedom of speech...but you've got to realize that there's a time and a place, and KC Rag is neither the time, nor the place, for ripping every person who doesn't wear a KU hat and have a KU tagline.

Most of our everyday members choose to restrain themselves, and stay away from the sports boards and the constant flamewars.  Some people however can't restrain themselves, and those are the people that need a "timeout".

KC Metro = you are also quite bad at stirring up BS in the sports area...you should really take a step back and think about what you want to contribute to this forum as a whole, and if its nothing but lame-duck sports opinions, then please...do yourself a favor and create a user account at CBSsports.com.  You may not agree, but in my book the majority of your posts rank right up there with Maitre's.

Maitre D - Please, don't feel the need to search "Im2kull" and post in every thread that I post in, if that's not the deffinition for harrasment and creating personal attacks then I don't know what is.  Why do you have me on "ignore" if all you're going to do is read my posts?
What's graciously given to KC, is strong for the region as a whole.  Passion and benevolence will one day exeem towards all whom know true adoration.  We shall triumph to better the community as One within
THINK (ONE) KC.
im2kull
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by im2kull »

KCMax wrote: The point is, they could have not returned at all if they found the site to be boring. But many people stayed. Why?
Because for many, its there ONLY source of good KC development information, and the best place to get answers to questions about those developments.
What's graciously given to KC, is strong for the region as a whole.  Passion and benevolence will one day exeem towards all whom know true adoration.  We shall triumph to better the community as One within
THINK (ONE) KC.
kcmetro
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by kcmetro »

im2kull wrote: You know, all else aside...the solution to the problem isn't simply to AX the "General Discussion" and "KC Sports" boards.  The main point I'm trying to make here is that EVERYONE has the ability to control what they type on this board...and its up to us, the members, to post according to the rules and not trash this place.  Most members do exactly that, they post meaningful, well thought out, information.  There is no excuse for the sports board to have turned into a complete MU-KU Slander-fest.  We should have threads like "how are the royals doing this year?" "will pioli bring the chiefs back to dominance" and what not.  Just because its the sports board doesn't mean it should be a complete flame war in there.  Sure...some things can be allowed...hell...I'm all for freedom of speech...but you've got to realize that there's a time and a place, and KC Rag is neither the time, nor the place, for ripping every person who doesn't wear a KU hat and have a KU tagline.

Most of our everyday members choose to restrain themselves, and stay away from the sports boards and the constant flamewars.  Some people however can't restrain themselves, and those are the people that need a "timeout".

KC Metro = you are also quite bad at stirring up BS in the sports area...you should really take a step back and think about what you want to contribute to this forum as a whole, and if its nothing but lame-duck sports opinions, then please...do yourself a favor and create a user account at CBSsports.com.  You may not agree, but in my book the majority of your posts rank right up there with Maitre's.

Maitre D - Please, don't feel the need to search "Im2kull" and post in every thread that I post in, if that's not the deffinition for harrasment and creating personal attacks then I don't know what is.  Why do you have me on "ignore" if all you're going to do is read my posts?
You're the worst poster on the sports board now.  I don't even know what sent you into this rage during the past week, but I think it's obvious you've stopped taking your medication.  MD doesn't post anything outrageous...just his opinions like the rest of us.  Most of the time it's pretty civil...then you show up and start getting offended at what's been said by other posters...stuff that has nothing to do with you.

I'd suggest to the mods to ban you until you stop acting like a baby and calling people out just because you don't like that they're a fan of a team you hate.  It's pathetic how you're acting.  Get a job or something, and stop complaining about senseless bullshit.
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

im2kull wrote: Because for many, its there ONLY source of good KC development information, and the best place to get answers to questions about those developments.
Right. And now that is getting diluted a bit by corrosive comments and tangents.
SAVE THE PLAZA - FROM ZOMBIES! Find out how at:

http://twitter.com/TheKCRag
ComandanteCero
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by ComandanteCero »

KCMax wrote: I kinda feel like as this site has grown with more members, more people like to talk about non-KC, non-development related news. This, however, leads us to lose focus a bit, and ends up diverting to heated tangents about unrelated things.

I can't help but wonder if this forum would be better off if we snipped a few "rooms" like Sports and "General Discussion". OTOH, this forum has become a community which is larger than just KC Development and you could argue that it requires these things to have a forum that encourages participation.

I guess there is a tension as to what we want this forum to be - a message board simply for downtown Kansas City development discussion - or a larger Kansas City-based community discussion board?
staubio wrote: Today, it is the same 25 people talking about nothing of substance, drowning out others that actually have meaningful things to post. Look how many people from those days are gone.

This might come as a surprise but not all of us want to spend every moment posting on some hot thread on this forum. Quality over quantity is a reasonable goal.
great points from both KCMax and Staubio.

Considering the forum isn't exactly depending on advertising impressions or membership numbers to continue functioning (thanks to Bahua, and KCP before him), I don't see any problem with eliminating the sports sub-forum (and by default the folks who love trolling it).  The reason i joined this forum was because i'm interested in the city and city issues (not only development in itself, but urban design, community, urban culture, happenings).  I think even though the amount of non-sports/politics discussion has decreased with the economic downturn, there are still interesting conversations happening that i enjoy being a part of, and there are plenty of conversations to be had even when development has slowed to a crawl.

I would personally miss the General Discussion subforum if it were eliminated (where will i post my robot threads??  :lol: ), I would just get rid of the political threads, but if completely eliminating that room means strengthening the development/city oriented portion of the forum I'd gladly sacrifice it.  
KC Region is all part of the same animal regardless of state and county lines.
Think on the Regional scale.
im2kull
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by im2kull »

kcmetro wrote: You're the worst poster on the sports board now.  I don't even know what sent you into this rage during the past week, but I think it's obvious you've stopped taking your medication.  MD doesn't post anything outrageous...just his opinions like the rest of us.   Most of the time it's pretty civil...then you show up and start getting offended at what's been said by other posters...stuff that has nothing to do with you.
You make it all sound like you're so innocent and civil mannered...untill we delve into you're past...
kcmetro wrote: Looking through the bracket this morning, I don't remember a year where there were so few teams I thought had gimme's in the 1st/2nd rounds.  Just jotting down winners in a few different brackets, I even saw MU going to Detroit.  Once I wrote it down though, I had to crumple it up and toss it in the trash.  Nearly made me puke that I picked them.  :lol:
P.S. - I'm sure maitre's 14,000+ posts aren't that clean either...considering 13,999 of them are in the sports board.
Last edited by im2kull on Mon Mar 16, 2009 3:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
THINK (ONE) KC.
kcmetro
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by kcmetro »

im2kull wrote: You make it all sound like you're so innocent...untill we delve into you're past...

P.S. - I'm sure maitre's 14,000+ posts aren't that clean either...considering 13,999 of them are in the sports board.
Uhhh, the quote of mine you posted....what exactly did you have a problem with???  :-s
staubio
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by staubio »

im2kull wrote: You make it all sound like you're so innocent...untill we delve into you're past...

Take it to PM, folks.

This is exactly what I'm talking about.
im2kull
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by im2kull »

kcmetro wrote: Uhhh, the quote of mine you posted....what exactly did you have a problem with???  :-s
Obviously the un-needed MU slander.  You talk about me trashing the sports board, when the fact is that I haven't posted there in a day..and you are already over there thumping your little KU chest and creating flamewars...or at least flame-bait...unless your whole "Seeing MU on my bracket made me nearly puke" doesn't count.
THINK (ONE) KC.
lock+load
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by lock+load »

I think this thread is doing a good job of demonstrating why the sports forum should go.  There are plenty of other places for that discussion. 
WSPanic
Supporter

Post by WSPanic »

im2kull wrote: Obviously the MU slander.  You talk about me trashing the sports board, when the fact is that I haven't posted there in a day..and you are already over there thumping your little KU chest and creating flamewars...or at least flame-bait...unless your whole "Seeing MU on my bracket made me nearly puke" doesn't count.
Yeah - but you've been calling people retards and numbnuts in KS Suburbs and elsewhere. We can keep deleting boards, or we could delete Im2Kull.
If it doesn't have street-level retail, it's an abortion.
im2kull
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by im2kull »

staubio wrote: Take it to PM, folks.

This is exactly what I'm talking about.
Staubio, what you need to realize is that there's something causing posts like that, and that's what we need to fix...the source of the issues.  Tell me how well you like it when Maitre and others put you on ignore, then start harrasing and bashing you post by post...when they shouldn't even be able to see what you've written...Due to them having you on ignore.  That's not right, and something needs to be done with those people.
THINK (ONE) KC.
kcmetro
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by kcmetro »

lock+load wrote: I think this thread is doing a good job of demonstrating why the sports forum should go.  There are plenty of other places for that discussion. 
I think this thread is doing a good job of demonstrating why im2kull should be banned for life from kcrag.  Absolutely ridiculous.
im2kull
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by im2kull »

WSPanic wrote: Yeah - but you've been calling people retards and numbnuts in KS Suburbs and elsewhere. We can keep deleting boards, or we could delete Im2Kull.
What do you expect when you post about the Bartle Hall loading dock artwork?

BTW, I'll admit...I did go a little crazy about 3 weeks ago, and incase you haven't noticed...after posting what I thought in the "This forum needs changes" thread...I've made changes and have been much more mild mannered, and posted some topics that I think need discussed.  Like this one, before KCmetro and Maitre had to chime in and ruin the discussion.  Blame this thread as flamebait on me if you'd like..but I'm trying my hardest to have an earnest conversation and find solutions here.
THINK (ONE) KC.
Highlander
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by Highlander »

KCMax wrote: I kinda feel like as this site has grown with more members, more people like to talk about non-KC, non-development related news. This, however, leads us to lose focus a bit, and ends up diverting to heated tangents about unrelated things.

I can't help but wonder if this forum would be better off if we snipped a few "rooms" like Sports and "General Discussion". OTOH, this forum has become a community which is larger than just KC Development and you could argue that it requires these things to have a forum that encourages participation.

I guess there is a tension as to what we want this forum to be - a message board simply for downtown Kansas City development discussion - or a larger Kansas City-based community discussion board?
I think that Sports and KC Development are inextricably intertwined.   The benefits of having the Big XII tourney in KC, for example, is an extremely pertinent discussion.  I like the sports room, it's worthwhile room when little is going on in the development arena.  I don't think it distracts from other, probably more relevant discussions, because it is afterall sequestered in its own room.  Nobody has to go there if they do not wish to.  What distracts from relevant discussions in other rooms is attention given to polarized viewpoints rather than a rational discussion of practical solutions to problems.  

Sports are fine and have a place here.  I think it's certainly a better sports room, even with its limited contributors, than the combined idiocy and immaturity of Tigerboard and Phognet (try discussing something sanely with an opposing fan on those boards).  Like you say, it's part of the overall community and a good way for us out of towners to catch up with what's going on with the royals and chiefs.  It's just the silly college sports smack that I find useless.  

This forum has discussed these issues time and time again and nothing changes and I am not sure it should.  It's still going strong after how many years?
staubio
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by staubio »

Perhaps sports just needs some heavy-handed moderation, then.
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

Come on guys.  Chill out.  The forum is fine.  I don’t see any need for massive changes.  Development is very slow.  Well, actually, it has stopped and that has been the biggest contributor to people getting way off topic.  I guess they are bored.

I think some of you spend way too much time on forums like this.  I would guess that for many of these posters, this is only one forum. I would guess that MD is all over the internet all the time.  This is his entertainment.  Logging onto to forums all day and night talking about KU.  I don’t get it.  Not in the least.  Seems like a waste of life ;).  But I don’t have any problems with him.  I just ignore it the best I can.  He doesn’t bother me in the least.  But he is not in 95% of the threads I care about.

For the most part, I just don’t post in the sports room.  Even the Royals and Chiefs threads on this forum are crap.  They get ruined by stadium talk, owner hating, ripping on fans that are from east jack etc.  There are a few really good posters in the sports room that post great updates on the Chiefs, Royals and stadium upgrades and they stay out of trouble.  I hope they continue to post.

But I tend to read sports forums elsewhere.  I would give that advice to anybody else.  There are some great forums out there on the Chiefs, Royals and even Wizards.

This is the time of year where I seriously reduce my posting, it’s warm, kids play in sports, I start traveling, MLB kicks into gear and KC transforms from a relatively dead, brown, cold, boring city into a vibrant, green city with lots to do and see.

I hope the economy turns around and I hope KC figures out how to get back the momentum it had in the early 2000’s.  But till then, I think this forum will be lost for a while.
Highlander
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by Highlander »

GRID wrote: For the most part, I just don’t post in the sports room.  Even the Royals and Chiefs threads on this forum are crap.  They get ruined by stadium talk, owner hating, ripping on fans that are from east jack etc.  There are a few really good posters in the sports room that post great updates on the Chiefs, Royals and stadium upgrades and they stay out of trouble.  I hope they continue to post.

But I tend to read sports forums elsewhere.  I would give that advice to anybody else.  There are some great forums out there on the Chiefs, Royals and even Wizards.
I find the college forums here, for all the smack that goes on, a relief from some of the local college sports forums.  Tigerboard and Phognet are vile places where very little of substance is ever gurgitated.    Discussing KU-MU sports here, even with MD, is at a higher level than I would ever expect on a college sports forum.  My interest in the forum have been down because KC, like everywhere else, has so little going on but I do like visiting the sports forum because I enjoy college sports.   
mean
Administrator
Administrator

Post by mean »

staubio wrote:Perhaps sports just needs some heavy-handed moderation, then.
I have long thought this, but who the hell has the time to deal with that mess?
"It is not to my good friend's heresy that I impute his honesty. On the contrary, 'tis his honesty that has brought upon him the character of heretic." -- Ben Franklin