Ignore user feature

Announcements about the forum as well as comments, questions, ideas for the forum or the website in general.
cityscape
New York Life
New York Life

Ignore user feature

Post by cityscape »

Out of curiousity:

How many of you use the ignore user fearture in this forum? 

Do you find it useful in skipping posts by those that never post anything useful or, do you feel lost when reading a thread and it keeps skipping around because those you've ignored post frequently?

Any other pros/cons to using it?
cknab1
Ambassador

Re: Ignore user feature

Post by cknab1 »

never used it, I like to see what everyone says.  If I don't agree so be it.
I'll have what the gentleman on the floor is having.
kcmetro
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by kcmetro »

cknab1 wrote: never used it, I like to see what everyone says.  If I don't agree so be it.
Me too.
Maitre D
The Quiet Chair
The Quiet Chair

Post by Maitre D »

Rarely use it but just put someone on it today actually.  I think it's a great feature - no whining about other posters.  Just put them on ignore.  Problem solved, whining over.
[img width=472 height=40]http://media.kansascity.com/images/champions_blue.gif[/img]

"For 15 years...KU won every time. There was no rivalry" - Frank Martin
kcdcchef
The Quiet Chair
The Quiet Chair

Post by kcdcchef »

Maitre D wrote: Rarely use it but just put someone on it today actually.   I think it's a great feature - no whining about other posters.   Just put them on ignore.   Problem solved, whining over.
how will you fight with that person now?
just curious.
MU FINISHED THE YEAR RANKED HIGHER IN HOOPS AND FOOTBALL THAN THE KAY U JAYDORKS. UP YOURS KAY U JAYDORK FANS!!!! :D :D :D :D :D
WoodDraw
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by WoodDraw »

I've used it before, but always found myself pressing show post.  Eventually I took it off and like it better.
DiggityDawg
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by DiggityDawg »

I use it on a few people, just because I don't think they ever add anything to the board. There's a difference between those I disagree with, & trolls.

It works OK, but then they also get quoted a lot in responses, so...
KansasCityCraka
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by KansasCityCraka »

cknab1 wrote: never used it, I like to see what everyone says.  If I don't agree so be it.
AllThingsKC
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by AllThingsKC »

I do not ignore anyone because this is an anonymous, free board.  I can handle a post I disagree with and someone being a troll.  And sometimes, the trolls actually have something to bring to this board... sometimes.  And for most of the people I disagree with on one subject, I will agree with on another subject.  There's not a lot of people (if any) on this board that I disagree with 100% of the time nor agree with 100% of the time.  That's kind of the point of a message board - To share your views and learn about other views, even if they make you mad.

So, I don't see the point to ignoring anyone.
KC is the way to be!
Jess
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by Jess »

Never used it on here, but have used it on other forums where I'm more of a regular.
kcdcchef
The Quiet Chair
The Quiet Chair

Post by kcdcchef »

AllThingsKC wrote:

So, I don't see the point to ignoring anyone.
i generally ignore you for fun atkc.
MU FINISHED THE YEAR RANKED HIGHER IN HOOPS AND FOOTBALL THAN THE KAY U JAYDORKS. UP YOURS KAY U JAYDORK FANS!!!! :D :D :D :D :D
Roanoker
Penntower
Penntower

Post by Roanoker »

I don't use the feature, but it doesn't hurt to retain the option for those who do. Maybe it serves as a venting mechanism of sorts.
“Give up money, give up fame, give up science, give the earth itself and all it contains rather than do an immoral act.” —Thomas Jefferson (1785)
KC_Hams

Post by KC_Hams »

I use it to ignore a few people who regularly post junk I find offensive (they're free to post it; I'm free to ignore them).

Update: I was curious as to how many people are on my ignore list. I checked and it's a grand total of three.
Last edited by KC_Hams on Sat Mar 14, 2009 5:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
im2kull
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by im2kull »

Kinda odd how Maitre D mocks me, chef, and Michael (The former active member) as all being one person with multiple logons...when he/she is the one that put me on "Ignore" months ago...(The only member to put me on ignore) and yet continually manages to respond to my posts...word for word. 

Let me ask you this, who has the multiple user names here?  Last time I checked that's grounds for dismissal.
Last edited by im2kull on Sun Mar 15, 2009 12:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
What's graciously given to KC, is strong for the region as a whole.  Passion and benevolence will one day exeem towards all whom know true adoration.  We shall triumph to better the community as One within
THINK (ONE) KC.
Jess
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by Jess »

im2kull wrote: Let me ask you this, who has the multiple user names here?  Last time I checked that's grounds for dismissal.
What's the criteria for "multiple usernames" on here?  I'd imagine you can only register one ID per registration e-mail.  Is it just if posts are coming from more than one username from a given IP address?  If so, my bf and I both post from one computer, using diff. usernames, obv.

Actually, though, we both did get booted from the city-data forums a couple of years ago because me having a city-data account and him having a separate city-data account and both of us posting from the same IP address was considered by their powers that be to be "multiple usernames." Lame.
Highlander
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by Highlander »

I don't use the ignore button because it doesn't solve the biggest pet peeve I have with internet forums: the more outrageous the post, the more attention it gets.  Consequently, I can have someone on ignore but their outrageous posts will trump anything thoughtful that is being said and off the thread goes in a different direction and any hope of a meaningful discussion is lost.  It makes no difference if I have the offender on ignore, others don't so they can still screw up the entire thread. 
DiggityDawg
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by DiggityDawg »

Highlander wrote: I don't use the ignore button because it doesn't solve the biggest pet peeve I have with internet forums: the more outrageous the post, the more attention it gets.  Consequently, I can have someone on ignore but their outrageous posts will trump anything thoughtful that is being said and off the thread goes in a different direction and any hope of a meaningful discussion is lost.  It makes no difference if I have the offender on ignore, others don't so they can still screw up the entire thread.   
Good point.

My policy is that I don't open a thread if the last poster in it is on my ignore list.
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

im2kull wrote: Kinda odd how Maitre D mocks me, chef, and Michael (The former active member) as all being one person with multiple logons...when he/she is the one that put me on "Ignore" months ago...(The only member to put me on ignore) and yet continually manages to respond to my posts...word for word. 

Let me ask you this, who has the multiple user names here?  Last time I checked that's grounds for dismissal.
Who has multiple user names?
SAVE THE PLAZA - FROM ZOMBIES! Find out how at:

http://twitter.com/TheKCRag
im2kull
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by im2kull »

KCMax wrote: Who has multiple user names?
Take a guess:

A. Maitre D
B. Maitre D
C. 35% of this boards members

Clue: There is no wrong answer.
What's graciously given to KC, is strong for the region as a whole.  Passion and benevolence will one day exeem towards all whom know true adoration.  We shall triumph to better the community as One within
THINK (ONE) KC.
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

im2kull wrote: Take a guess:

A. Maitre D
B. Maitre D
C. 35% of this boards members

Clue: There is no wrong answer.
What are his other user names?