Changes?

Announcements about the forum as well as comments, questions, ideas for the forum or the website in general.
LenexatoKCMO
City Center Square
City Center Square

Re: Changes?

Post by LenexatoKCMO »

What I love is how if you look at these mod bitching threads over the years - some of the same people that occassionally bitch about undermoderation turn around and at other times bitch about overmoderation.  For Christ's sake, you can't expect that the forum is going to be moderated to exactly match your personal vision for how the place should look and feel. 
mean
Administrator
Administrator

Post by mean »

Generally speaking, undermoderation is when you don't edit, move or remove something I want you to edit, move or remove. Overmoderation is when you edit, move or remove my posts.
"It is not to my good friend's heresy that I impute his honesty. On the contrary, 'tis his honesty that has brought upon him the character of heretic." -- Ben Franklin
Maitre D
The Quiet Chair
The Quiet Chair

Post by Maitre D »

The best part of any board is its anonymity.  It allows people to say what they really think, rather than worrying about what others think.  You'll find more honest opinions here than you would in any office setting or large group. 
[img width=472 height=40]http://media.kansascity.com/images/champions_blue.gif[/img]

"For 15 years...KU won every time. There was no rivalry" - Frank Martin
LenexatoKCMO
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by LenexatoKCMO »

On a constructive note - one thing I think could improve the site is to have more posters regularly try to spur development converation.  As has been mentioned, the development news doesn't just pour forth on an hourly basis these days.  But there are still opportunities to spur these conversations.  I know KCMax is always good about aggressively linking any news stories that are out there.  It helps to spur conversation if people make posts along the lines of "what do you think about _________ aspect of ________ development, it seems like it could be good/bad because . . . ".  That sort of thing generates follow on development conversation rather than just posting a news item and leaving it for folks to look at and move on.  
KCFutbol
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by KCFutbol »

Maitre D wrote: The best part of any board is its anonymity.  It allows people to say what they really think, rather than worrying about what others think.  You'll find more honest opinions here than you would in any office setting or large group.
And people will say things in an anonymous setting that they wouldn't dare say to someones face because they know they might get punch in the nose.

If you want a board where there is more civility and an absence of vulgarity you need more strict moderation. I'm a mod on another board that has these policies and things are quite a bit more tame. More PG-13 if you will. 
cityscape
New York Life
New York Life

Post by cityscape »

mean wrote: You and everyone else. The problem is, nobody can agree on which instances, so no matter what happens someone usually bitches about it.
I'm sorry, but isn't that your job as a moderator to make the tough decisions?  Aren't you supposed to decide what is okay and what isn't regardless of what those in the forum think based on the set principles of the overall forum?  I mean ultimately this is a product that you manage and if you're fine with tangents that last two and three pages then so be it, but typically that's not how I've seen other forum topics run. 

IMO if we could just keep the threads more on topic everyone would be better off.  If you feel you have a good tangent or topic outside of the current thread, start your own! 

Just my two cents!
mean
Administrator
Administrator

Post by mean »

cityscape wrote:I'm sorry, but isn't that your job as a moderator to make the tough decisions?  Aren't you supposed to decide what is okay and what isn't regardless of what those in the forum think based on the set principles of the overall forum? 
That's exactly what we do. It's too much for some people, not enough for others.
"It is not to my good friend's heresy that I impute his honesty. On the contrary, 'tis his honesty that has brought upon him the character of heretic." -- Ben Franklin
kcdcchef
The Quiet Chair
The Quiet Chair

Post by kcdcchef »

i think the moderation as of late, the last several months, has been right on the money. shit talk in appropriate threads ( college sports ) is allowed to fester, yet, kept civil. and the locking of threads has went way down lately. from time to time i get pissed that threads get locked with no one but mods getting the last word in, but that hasnt even been going on lately. so let it be.
MU FINISHED THE YEAR RANKED HIGHER IN HOOPS AND FOOTBALL THAN THE KAY U JAYDORKS. UP YOURS KAY U JAYDORK FANS!!!! :D :D :D :D :D
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

Maitre D wrote: The best part of any board is its anonymity.  It allows people to say what they really think, rather than worrying about what others think.  You'll find more honest opinions here than you would in any office setting or large group.  
I guess I don't see this...things I say on here I would say to anyone...I don't think I hide my opinions to people and let them go because it's "anonymous".  Sure I might use more colorful/crass language here but in general my opinions don't change....I guess I just don't have some deep seeded, uncouth opinions that I think would be troubling in public????
http://downtownkcmo.blogspot.com

Tweeting live from Big 12 tournament @downtownkc
kcdcchef
The Quiet Chair
The Quiet Chair

Post by kcdcchef »

some people totally act differently here. for instance, some put on a total act/show, dont act like that in person. i myself do. there are several posters who have met me and can verify.
MU FINISHED THE YEAR RANKED HIGHER IN HOOPS AND FOOTBALL THAN THE KAY U JAYDORKS. UP YOURS KAY U JAYDORK FANS!!!! :D :D :D :D :D
AllThingsKC
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by AllThingsKC »

I think anyone who posts on an internet message board is stupid.

I think ANY moderation of ANY post is stupid.

I think ANY unmoderation of ANY post is stupid.

I think Kansas City is stupid.

I think this forum is stupid, and I demand a full refund!

I think the internet is stupid.

I like cheese.
KC is the way to be!
Roanoker
Penntower
Penntower

Post by Roanoker »

^^^
=D>
“Give up money, give up fame, give up science, give the earth itself and all it contains rather than do an immoral act.” —Thomas Jefferson (1785)
Maitre D
The Quiet Chair
The Quiet Chair

Post by Maitre D »

KCPowercat wrote: I guess I don't see this...things I say on here I would say to anyone...I don't think I hide my opinions to people and let them go because it's "anonymous".  Sure I might use more colorful/crass language here but in general my opinions don't change....I guess I just don't have some deep seeded, uncouth opinions that I think would be troubling in public????
http://forum.kcrag.com/http://www.kcrag ... 68#p388968
[img width=472 height=40]http://media.kansascity.com/images/champions_blue.gif[/img]

KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

That post proves my point. First off I wouldn't interact with someone in real life that is so bitter about everything but say a long time friend of mine turned bitter about life, I would easy call them out about it.

I absolutely knew md would try to discredit that post I just assumed he would find something better than that.  I am disappointed. 

Keep hiding behind some anonymous username to preach your true bitterness and hate feelings...I feel for you that you feel that way and need sites like this to release those feelings.

Maitre D
The Quiet Chair
The Quiet Chair

Post by Maitre D »

But you're not a long time friend of mine.   That's the whole point - what person goes off in a rage about someone (he doesn't even know!) with personal attacks....in public?    Nobody does that.  Most people would either laugh at you or punch you.   I'm kind of a huckster so I prefer the former.   

But that doesn't change the fact you attack people personally as much (if not more) than anyone else here.

AJoD
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by AJoD »

I don't think this is true.  This is the only place I post online without my real name as my handle (not that it's really concealed), and I did so only because it seemed so odd that no one posted here with their real name.  I get it for instances where you don't want to be identified with privileged info, or sometimes there are professional concerns that warrant anonymity.  But I think being held responsible for what you say, as yourself, taking some ownership of your opinions and how you express them, leads to better discourse, not worse.  "Honest" isn't always saying the first thing that comes to mind without respect to its consequence.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

One time. In response to you doing the same to someone else. it obviously affected you more than I assumed given your tough guy persona on here, so I apologize for that. I went too far. I assumed you would just roll with it considering how you attack others.

Doesn't change the fact that I don't post opinions on here that I wouldn't air in public...I don't see forums as an anonymous place to let my "true feelings" go, as those aren't hidden in everyday life like you were suggesting in the post I quoted...that was my only point.

staubio
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by staubio »

kcdcchef wrote: some people totally act differently here. for instance, some put on a total act/show, dont act like that in person. i myself do. there are several posters who have met me and can verify.
And what is the point of this? Is it fun for you personally to take on a persona that is less civil and constructive than your real one, even if you just "being yourself" could make you a greater asset to this board in general?

I don't really see a message board as an opportunity for everyone to "play out" their fantasy alter-egos. This is a place for constructive conversation about specific topics. I see little to no asset in anonymity. People have ideas and opinions that they can share because they are their own, not because they are the construct of their made-up personality.

Personally, I think the board would be best with real people that didn't felt compelled to be posting just because the forum is here. We'd talk when we had things to talk about. We'd share our personal experiences and perspectives as that is where the value in diverse participation is seen. It'd be civil and productive.

...but I guess that doesn't sound like any fun.
kcdcchef
The Quiet Chair
The Quiet Chair

Post by kcdcchef »

staubio wrote: And what is the point of this? Is it fun for you personally to take on a persona that is less civil and constructive than your real one, even if you just "being yourself" could make you a greater asset to this board in general?

I don't really see a message board as an opportunity for everyone to "play out" their fantasy alter-egos. This is a place for constructive conversation about specific topics. I see little to no asset in anonymity. People have ideas and opinions that they can share because they are their own, not because they are the construct of their made-up personality.

Personally, I think the board would be best with real people that didn't felt compelled to be posting just because the forum is here. We'd talk when we had things to talk about. We'd share our personal experiences and perspectives as that is where the value in diverse participation is seen. It'd be civil and productive.

...but I guess that doesn't sound like any fun.
what the fuck are you talking about????? i am totally myself on here. i said some do. i can think of one in this particular thread, who, is not this way in real life. i am the same in my musings as i am when you meet me. ask many, they will tell you.

to those who act tough or "cool" on here, i pity them, that they cannot just be themselves. but their true self is probably so boring it is just not possible.
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

kcdcchef wrote: what the fuck are you talking about????? i am totally myself on here.
I know chef, he's not putting on a show for the forum, what you see here is pretty much chef :).