More Anti-mod Angst

Announcements about the forum as well as comments, questions, ideas for the forum or the website in general.
nota
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Re: More Anti-mod Angst

Post by nota »

JMHO-
mean wrote: How is it acting unmoderatorly to tell the truth?
Why do you feel the necessity?

I don't think for a minute that you don't know, but here's my answer.

Because a moderator is an authority figure. Tell them the action being taken and don't revisit it again for any reason. Posts like the one below just add more fuel to the fire and give the offender a chance for more spewing. You see, you are a moderator, not just one of the posters in this instance, but posts like these sound like you are just another one arguing. And it just keeps the garbage going.
It had nothing to do with any "calling out" and everything to do with your inability to refrain from posting insults to mods in a thread that explicitly said do not post insults. At that point you're not being Johnny Rebel, you're being Dennis the Menace. Did you really think I wasn't going to quiet chair anybody who did what they were specifically asked not to do? And does it surprise you that you're the only person who did it anyway?
Believe what you want, I'm just telling you how it is.
The decision has been made, no need to add to it. You already get called all kinds of names and get no respect. Let them have a REAL reason to do that.

And what was the need for this one?
That is absolutely ridiculous. You're not going to bait me into sitting you in timeout just for having an opinion, even if it is insulting and abjectly false.
Do you not understand that it isn't another poster who "baits" you into doing something-it's you who allow it which you did in the above post. Just ignore them.

Not unlike Parenting 101 :wink:

Now, I'm out of this thread. It is boring.
bahua
Administrator
Administrator

Post by bahua »

Not fully comprehending what I had said to him, thrill instead incorrectly perceived it as a personal attack, decided it was go-time, and blew up in front of all of us for no good reason. Even now he continues to blindly and without factual basis, attack me and anyone else that disagrees with him about anything. I don't see why I should be embarrassed about that, except for feeling bad for thrill, which I did and still do. Thrill has said nothing that's even verged on the truth. Anyone with a properly functioning brain can see that he's just firing off empty insults because he thinks I "stepped to him." It was a senseless personal attack, with no factual basis whatsoever. I don't see why a long ranting flame that has nothing to do with reality should make me angry. It didn't.

I didn't censor anyone. I didn't lock the thread. I didn't delete anyone's posts. I didn't put anyone in the quiet chair. I didn't modify anything.
kcdcchef
The Quiet Chair
The Quiet Chair

Post by kcdcchef »

bahua wrote:

I didn't censor anyone. I didn't lock the thread. I didn't delete anyone's posts. I didn't put anyone in the quiet chair. I didn't modify anything.
fine. but by allowing those who help you administer this forum to do so, it is the same as doing it yourself.

love the new sig.
MU FINISHED THE YEAR RANKED HIGHER IN HOOPS AND FOOTBALL THAN THE KAY U JAYDORKS. UP YOURS KAY U JAYDORK FANS!!!! :D :D :D :D :D
Maitre D
The Quiet Chair
The Quiet Chair

Post by Maitre D »

I've been a little disappointed in the Mods actually.  They never ban or delete my posts really.  And if they're not deleting MINE, just who's are they deleting?

Try as I might, I can't get a time-out any longer.  Either I'm getting soft or they are.

I have to assume they modify less than 1 in a 1,000 posts.  Which is pretty amazing in these days of msg board power-trippers. 
[img width=472 height=40]http://media.kansascity.com/images/champions_blue.gif[/img]

"For 15 years...KU won every time. There was no rivalry" - Frank Martin
chrizow
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by chrizow »

Maitre D wrote: I've been a little disappointed in the Mods actually.  They never ban or delete my posts really.  And if they're not deleting MINE, just who's are they deleting?

Try as I might, I can't get a time-out any longer.  Either I'm getting soft or they are.

I have to assume they modify less than 1 in a 1,000 posts.  Which is pretty amazing in these days of msg board power-trippers. 
exactly.  you have to be pretty damn douchey to get yourself modded.

do you think a board that is overzealously moderated would allow multiple multi-page threads discussing what assholes the moderators are?  i mean seriously.
Maitre D
The Quiet Chair
The Quiet Chair

Post by Maitre D »

chrizow wrote: do you think a board that is overzealously moderated would allow multiple multi-page threads discussing what assholes the moderators are?  i mean seriously.

:lol: :lol:  Alright seriously, I am laughing in my office right now at that one! 
[img width=472 height=40]http://media.kansascity.com/images/champions_blue.gif[/img]

phna
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by phna »

bahua wrote: I did not. I said he was acting like one, talking about things he obviously didn't understand.
Let's split hairs shall we? .
Man is condemned to be free; because once thrown into the world, he is responsible for everything he does.

Jean Paul Sartre
mean
Administrator
Administrator

Post by mean »

nota wrote: JMHO-

Why do you feel the necessity?
To correct misperception. I get what you're saying, and I'm sure you're right when it comes down to it; but when someone makes a false, derogatory statement I feel compelled to correct them, for administrative transparency and the public record if nothing else.
nota wrote: I don't think for a minute that you don't know, but here's my answer.

Because a moderator is an authority figure. Tell them the action being taken and don't revisit it again for any reason. Posts like the one below just add more fuel to the fire and give the offender a chance for more spewing. You see, you are a moderator, not just one of the posters in this instance, but posts like these sound like you are just another one arguing. And it just keeps the garbage going.
Fair enough, perhaps it needs to be policy that we don't discuss moderation. However, that creates other issues that need to be dealt with. For example, what happens when someone pops up with slanderous accusations in existing threads (or even creates a new thread in an appropriate place)? Do we refrain from comment and simply not justify ourselves at all and let it go on, allowing people to draw whatever potentially flawed conclusions they like? Or do we just delete any post or thread calling mod action into question?

Personally, I don't like either of these options that much because I am and always have been a huge fan of transparency in authority. I want people to know why things are done, why posts disappeared, why they went to the QC, etc. I want them to be free to debate with the PTB whether it was the right thing to do, and to petition us for a redress of grievances.

But perhaps my idealism goes too far. So which would you prefer: let anti-mod discussion go on unabated and undefended, or just kill it when it pops up? Or something else? I really don't know what the best answer is.
nota wrote: Do you not understand that it isn't another poster who "baits" you into doing something-it's you who allow it which you did in the above post. Just ignore them.
You're right, but I wanted to make it clear (to chef and everyone else) that I would never put somebody in timeout just for being rude to me. People are rude to me on here all the time, I've been called all kinds of names and dealt with all kinds of unsavory and insulting implications; that's fine with me. I have enough unpopular opinions that if I were to QC everyone who said insulting things to me, this board would be awfully quiet! I think this board would be a better place if everyone understood the difference between calling people's personal judgment and opinions into question using snarky, potentially insulting language, and actual flaming.
Last edited by mean on Mon May 07, 2007 2:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"It is not to my good friend's heresy that I impute his honesty. On the contrary, 'tis his honesty that has brought upon him the character of heretic." -- Ben Franklin
Spartan65
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by Spartan65 »

What I'll never get used to is all of the mods on here that post with the grammar of an 8-yr old.

Some posts are almost as bad as the ones my foreign exchange moderator scribbles out.
I just love the smell of skyscrapers in the morning...
http://okmet.org / OkMet forums
Keep Tulsa Lame.
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

I agre with Sparty youre point is well made.
SAVE THE PLAZA - FROM ZOMBIES! Find out how at:

http://twitter.com/TheKCRag
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

Spartan65 wrote: What I'll never get used to is all of the mods on here that post with the grammar of an 8-yr old.

Some posts are almost as bad as the ones my foreign exchange moderator scribbles out.
why?
http://downtownkcmo.blogspot.com

Tweeting live from Big 12 tournament @downtownkc
Slappy the Wang
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by Slappy the Wang »

Frankly, I'm the only reason I read these forums. :&
Be green or go Broke Tryin'
anniewarbucks
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by anniewarbucks »

Why are there people on this furum that searches for typos misspellings and lapses on grammer? If we have to use proper grammer than it makes for a grammer school lesson. We go from Text messaging on our cell phones to having to write complete sentances on the forum. Come on guys do we have to start diagraming our sentances? 
No trees were destroyed in the sending of this contaminant- free message.
However, a significant number of electrons have been inconvenienced.
kcmetro
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by kcmetro »

anniewarbucks wrote: Why are there people on this furum forum that searches for typos, misspellings, and lapses on grammer grammar? If we have to use proper grammer grammar than then it makes for a grammer grammar school lesson. We go from Ttext messaging on our cell phones to having to write complete sentances sentences on the forum. Come on guys. do Do we have to start diagraming diagramming our sentances sentences
:lol:
anniewarbucks
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by anniewarbucks »

As I Said!!!
No trees were destroyed in the sending of this contaminant- free message.
However, a significant number of electrons have been inconvenienced.
Maitre D
The Quiet Chair
The Quiet Chair

Post by Maitre D »

I loved diagramming sentences.  Taught me a ton about the King's English. 

I guess kids today need computers to learn.  Phooey.  Computer or no, an idiot is still an idiot right?

LenexatoKCMO
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by LenexatoKCMO »

lloyd wrote: From George Washington all the way forward to Bush (including Clinton), the US has never, ever had a President that believed we evolved from monkeys, ever. Just shows how far gone you are... i mean wayyyyyyy out there.
You mean none that have ever publicly confirmed it. 
LenexatoKCMO
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by LenexatoKCMO »

lloyd wrote: Even to the point of censoring simple sentences like "evolution: the dark age religion of the left."
Michael - who knows if you were even censored - if you were paying attention you might have noticed that almost an entire day's worth of forum was lost in a database crash.  

Regardless - who cares if the banned "members" get censored?  Isn't that the whole point?

Side note - the tags for this thread are absolutely classic: "dumbfuckery", "vast mod-conspiracy", and "nincompoopery".
Last edited by LenexatoKCMO on Fri May 18, 2007 9:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
eclair
New York Life
New York Life

Post by eclair »

KCmetro- love your editing job!  It is hard to take anyone seriously when they cannot coherently form a sentence in the English language, nor can they spell simple words.  I say, use that "spell check" function once in a while if you want people to read and respond to your posts.
nota
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by nota »

LenexatoKCMO wrote:
Side note - the tags for this thread are absolutely classic: "dumbfuckery", "vast mod-conspiracy", and "nincompoopery".
FWIW-I neither wrote the title nor did I write the tags even though my name is attributed to them.