New StL development forum

Announcements about the forum as well as comments, questions, ideas for the forum or the website in general.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

Guys, there is a new forum brother in town...I have created a forum for StL residents to use similiar to this board for us KC users. They seemed like they needed one so I figured I'd try my hand at it. You can check it out here:

http://www.kcskyscrapers.com/stlforum/

here is the initial announcement I gave them:
Well there had been some discussion about St. Louis needing a development forum so I decided to give my brothers to the east a little present and give them their own forums. I hope this works out well and can be used for the many StL topics and their booming downtown area.

Please read these points below closely as this forum as of right now is still very much a work in progress.

- As of right now, this is a semi-permanent forum. What this means is for a number of reasons I could stop this board (I will give plenty of notice). Reasons would include but are not limited to: Inactivity, too MUCH activity and hence taking resources from kcskyscrapers.com, KC Forum, & kcdowntowndirectory.com, or abuse.

- I do intend to keep this forum going but it might be with more limited resources than the KC forum just because of space constrants. So if old topics are dropped faster that would be the only reason. I will post before I drop anything.

- I will be the one and only admin of this forum. All this allows is admin functionality such as server setups.

- In conjunction with above, I will be needing moderators for this board. I do not plan to moderate the STL board in any way and will need volunteers to do so. I can help get started in any way. KCGridlock & I will be the only ones with moderator power on this board from the KC forum board.

- As you can tell, this is the "standard" setup. I am willing to work with anybody on graphics changes (as in the top left graphic) as well as forum room additions/changes/deletions. There will be a "moderator" room for all moderators to talk about these things.

- The coolest thing is the KC Forum and StL forum share user databases. What does this mean? If you have a name in the KC Forum, you will log in with the same username/password on this forum the same as the KC forum. As long as you have cookies enabled, you should flow from board to board without having to log back in. Only thing that doesn't seem to work is Private Messages...if a PM is sent from this board, it has to be read on this board and same with the KC board...looking to fix that. So if you have a username on the KC Forum already, log into this board with that same name otherwise, you can register here or on the KC board....doesn't matter which. Let me know if you see issues with this.

That is about it....I hope this comes to great use to you STL forumers. I will monitor this forum closely for useage/content, especially until I get moderators to watch it for me. Enjoy yourself....if you've ever dealt with me on the KC forum or ssp.com, I am very laid back and a very hands off admin/moderator. I will allow about anything....with the obvious exceptions of slang, personal attacks, etc. but everybody is smart enough to know what to do......or will learn.

Hope you guys enjoy this and find it of good use.
So if you didn't read that last part, your usernames here will also work over there with no problems.....now that doesn't give you the automatic right to go flame them of course.....be kind to our MO brothers...we're giving them a home :)

Please let me know what you think of this.....it's obviously not set in stone.

There are no users over there yet, you guys are the first to know about it.
Last edited by KCPowercat on Mon Oct 06, 2003 9:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
http://downtownkcmo.blogspot.com

Tweeting live from Big 12 tournament @downtownkc
KCDevin

Post by KCDevin »

this will help, i've gotten tired of them posting so many threads (sometimes 10 at a time) at SSP and SSC about STL, (its not cause I dont like them) it just gets really annoying at times seeing a page full of STL threads and none about other things. GJ KC
mpls
Pad site
Pad site

Post by mpls »

yeah, its a strain to the eyes. :roll:
nota
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by nota »

I went to the new STL forum this AM and it has changed format. What happened?
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

A user, SonicBoi, registered a domain and is now running the stl forums

StL_Dan
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by StL_Dan »

Please post the new URL for the StL development forum.

Thanks.
One State. One Spirit. One Mizzou. 05.22.2011  RIP Rusty, Harli and Hayze
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

http://www.stlskyscrapers.com or just go to the link above and you will be forwarded.

StL_Dan
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by StL_Dan »

I liked the original site better. The new one is a little unsightly.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

post on there and talk to SonicBoi about it...he's invested time/money into the domain name, etc. for STL discussions.....I say give it a shot.

StL_Dan
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by StL_Dan »

KC wrote:post on there and talk to SonicBoi about it...he's invested time/money into the domain name, etc. for STL discussions.....I say give it a shot.
OK....sounds good.
nota
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by nota »

StL_Dan wrote:I liked the original site better. The new one is a little unsightly.
Me too. For sure. I liked the phbb forum type much better.
StL_Dan
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by StL_Dan »

nota wrote:
StL_Dan wrote:I liked the original site better. The new one is a little unsightly.
Me too. For sure. I liked the phbb forum type much better.
I like this site alot cuz it's the same thing used on stltoday.com.

ez on the eyes and ez to navigate.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

maybe sonic is willing to change.

StL_Dan
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by StL_Dan »

I wonder how much $$$ he's invested into the current site?
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

he already owns webspace, just bought a new domain I believe.

SonicBoi
New York Life
New York Life

Post by SonicBoi »

Total investment: $35 to netsol.com and 1hr setting up. Behold the power of e-Xoops! It is needless to say a work in progress. Any suggestions are appriciated. And NO i will not blow away the site and start from the ground up again. That is cpmpletlely impractable and will piss off a bunch of people.
SonicBoi
1 Samuel 18:3-4: And Jonathan made a covenant with David because he loved him as himself. Jonathan took off the robe he was wearing and gave it to David, along with his tunic, and even his sword, his bow and his belt.
StL_Dan
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by StL_Dan »

SonicBoi wrote:Total investment: $35 to netsol.com and 1hr setting up. Behold the power of e-Xoops! It is needless to say a work in progress. Any suggestions are appriciated. And NO i will not blow away the site and start from the ground up again. That is cpmpletlely impractable and will piss off a bunch of people.
Kudos for taking the initiative and making the modest investment to set the thing up, SonicBoi.
SonicBoi
New York Life
New York Life

Post by SonicBoi »

Hey, it's a start. I went with e-xoops (in spite of its quirks) because it was the only Content Management System that would run somewhat relaibly on Microsoft's IIS and I have 3 e-xoops platforms running right now in addition to this one. The forums, well, aren't that great, but I wanted to go with a full-blown CMS rather than a simple forum. Tha way modules could be added and dropped to add functionallity to the web site as needed or requested. (i.e. XP-Weather and the FAQ section and others.)
SonicBoi
1 Samuel 18:3-4: And Jonathan made a covenant with David because he loved him as himself. Jonathan took off the robe he was wearing and gave it to David, along with his tunic, and even his sword, his bow and his belt.
StL_Dan
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by StL_Dan »

SonicBoi wrote:Hey, it's a start. I went with e-xoops (in spite of its quirks) because it was the only Content Management System that would run somewhat relaibly on Microsoft's IIS and I have 3 e-xoops platforms running right now in addition to this one. The forums, well, aren't that great, but I wanted to go with a full-blown CMS rather than a simple forum. Tha way modules could be added and dropped to add functionallity to the web site as needed or requested. (i.e. XP-Weather and the FAQ section and others.)
SB...I'm not quite sure what the H - E - double hockey sticks you just said, but I trust that you are doing the right thing. :?

With that said, thanks again for investing your time and effort into the new site. 8)