I can't wait for the new smoking ban in Kansas City!

KC topics that don't fit anywhere else.
mean
Administrator
Administrator

Re: I can't wait for the new smoking ban in Kansas City!

Post by mean »

We're not talking about public places, we're talking about privately owned buildings and businesses.
"It is not to my good friend's heresy that I impute his honesty. On the contrary, 'tis his honesty that has brought upon him the character of heretic." -- Ben Franklin
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

Should businesses have to get health inspections?  business licenses?  ADA requirements?  Noise level restrictions?  Safe working conditions?  Age limits on workers? 
http://downtownkcmo.blogspot.com

Tweeting live from Big 12 tournament @downtownkc
aknowledgeableperson
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by aknowledgeableperson »

mean wrote: We're not talking about public places, we're talking about privately owned buildings and businesses (opened to the public).
Opened to the public means they become public places that in many instances are already regulated in some form by the government.
I may be right.  I may be wrong.  But there is a lot of gray area in-between.
LenexatoKCMO
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by LenexatoKCMO »

KCPowercat wrote: Should businesses have to get health inspections?  business licenses?  ADA requirements?  Noise level restrictions?  Safe working conditions?  Age limits on workers? 
No.
staubio
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by staubio »

LenexatoKCMO wrote: No.
Right. When 100 people die of food poisoning, nobody else will go to that restaurant! The market works!
phna
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by phna »

staubio wrote: Right. When 100 people die of food poisoning, nobody else will go to that restaurant! The market works!
Satire?
Man is condemned to be free; because once thrown into the world, he is responsible for everything he does.

Jean Paul Sartre
staubio
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by staubio »

phna wrote: Satire?
Clearly.
phna
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by phna »

LenexatoKCMO wrote: You honestly believe for one second that JS Mill would have bought into the notion that a person voluntarily positioning themselves in the presence of smoke, amounts to an infliction of harm on others?  Mill's philosophy was rooted in a tremendous importance on personal responsibility and your suggestion that he would buy in to your severely corrupted view of personal responsibilty is ludicrous.  The logic you are attempting to apply to Mill's words assumes that virtually any social or environmental harm a person subjects themselves to justifies government intervention.  If you are willing to twist Mill to that extent you could justify government intervention into damn near every facet of human existence - the exact antithesis of Mill's philosophy.  

Your misuse of Mill is akin to someone attempting to use the words of Mahatma Ghandi to justify warfare.  
"misused?" It was a direct quote from On Liberty. Perhaps you misread?

One can be objective about Mill's philosophy without any other assumption on the "slippery slope" you argue upon.  Certainly Mill would abhor a ban for "...His own good, either physical or moral, is not sufficient warrant..." a restriction of personal liberty. But surely you can't argue Mill didn't realize that personal liberty has limits?

"....The only part of the conduct of anyone, for which he is amenable to society, is that which concerns others."
Man is condemned to be free; because once thrown into the world, he is responsible for everything he does.

Jean Paul Sartre
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

Smoking ban, tax OK?d
By a margin of 2,684 yes votes to 1,127 no votes, Liberty voters Tuesday, Nov. 3, overwhelmingly approved a tougher smoking ban than one adopted by the City Council earlier this year. The ban takes effect in 60 days.

The measure approved prohibits smoking in most public places, including bars and restaurants. Smoking is allowed on outdoor patios, in 25 percent of hotel and motel rooms and in designated areas in city parks.
chrizow
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by chrizow »

http://www.stltoday.com/stltoday/news/s ... enDocument

St. Louis County approved a smoking ban as well.  STL City's is contingent on the County's passing.  the law exempts establishments where less than 25% of the revenue comes from food, which i think i support.
phna
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by phna »

Help for nicotine addicts:

"Quitters get a shot in the arm with smoking vaccine"

http://www.usatoday.com/news/health/200 ... titialskip

Jean Paul Sartre
butter_breath
New York Life
New York Life

Post by butter_breath »

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/chi- ... 1427.story

"The Tribune and WGN-TV found patrons smoking at several Chicagoland bars, defying the Smoke-free Illinois Act that has prohibited smoking inside public places since Jan. 1, 2008."

:cheers: =D> :D/ :-({|=
mean
Administrator
Administrator

Post by mean »

KCPowercat wrote:Should businesses have to get health inspections?  business licenses?  ADA requirements?  Noise level restrictions?  Safe working conditions?  Age limits on workers? 
I wrote a big ass response to all these individually, but I think I can sum it up in general with, "not really."
"It is not to my good friend's heresy that I impute his honesty. On the contrary, 'tis his honesty that has brought upon him the character of heretic." -- Ben Franklin
phna
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by phna »

mean wrote: I wrote a big ass response to all these individually, but I think I can sum it up in general with, "not really."
Oh, what a good read they must have been! &&&  And you didn't realize you were asking the wrong "big ass" question!

Jean Paul Sartre
mean
Administrator
Administrator

Post by mean »

I thought it was a good read, but I figured it would just lead to a bunch of half-witted sarcastic comments.
anniewarbucks
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by anniewarbucks »

First of all I haven't been on for a while so I am trying to play catch up. On the subject of smoking bans, here in Topeka we have a smoking ban going into effect on the 5th of December. This includes bars and restaurants. This is a tough ban with the fact that if a patron is caught smoking in one of these establishments the police will be called and the offender will be issued a ticket. They are not playing games with this ordinance.
No trees were destroyed in the sending of this contaminant- free message.
However, a significant number of electrons have been inconvenienced.
OPIchabod
New York Life
New York Life

Post by OPIchabod »

FANTASTIC, generally
Indecision is the root of evil.
anniewarbucks
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by anniewarbucks »

I also found out by reading the Topeka ordinance that the ban even includes the common areas in apartment buildings. This includes the hallways, stairwells and the club rooms of the complex. This also states that the area 10 feet outside of the front door of a publicly used building is also smoke free.
No trees were destroyed in the sending of this contaminant- free message.
However, a significant number of electrons have been inconvenienced.
phna
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by phna »

Ah, now this is the market at work. The end of the analog cigarette.

Somebody filling the void.

Economical too

It comes with a Dr's endorsement too! Just like the old days! 0 carcinogens

Dr. Anthony Panarello, a pulmonologist, on the e-cigarette: "Without all the carcinogens found in tobacco cigarettes, it is clearly a better alternative to people who smoke .. The smoke 51 absolutely does not cause cancer"  

Who's buying it?

http://www.ecigsadvisor.com/ecigs-revie ... word=ablw1
Last edited by phna on Tue Dec 29, 2009 11:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Jean Paul Sartre
PumpkinStalker
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by PumpkinStalker »

Saw an older lady using this at Accursos about two months ago. It was weird after being smoke free for a while. The tip lights up with a distractingly bright orange glow.