police response to crime from a victim's point of view.

KC topics that don't fit anywhere else.
tat2kc
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

police response to crime from a victim's point of view.

Post by tat2kc »

I was the victim of an aggravated assault today, in westport. I work one day a week at a store in Westport called "out There". Its owned by a friend of mine.  I was in the store alone, about 3:30, when someone walked in who seemed a bit out of place in a gay giftshop. I said hello, and proceded back to the counter ( i was stocking shelves). As I approached the side of the counter, this dude ran up behind me hit me in the head, then spun me around and punched me a couple of times, and when I fell, he started kicking me. Till I gave him a full force kick to the balls. Then he ran out.  No money taken or demanded, was just a good ole gay bashing ( i assume that was most likely what it was). 

When he ran out, I called  911 and reported it. I thought initially an attempted robbery, so thats what I called in. The operator asked me if I needed an ambulance. I said no, then the b*tch asked me for a number i could be reached at and said someone would call me!!! WTF???  :shock:  I was too freaked out, so I gave her my number, then called my partner. After 20 minutes and no call, I called the store owner and told him. He had to call the police to get them to come to the store!! The two cops that came, did dust the counter for fingerprints. They did tell me they couldn't list it as a robbery because he didn't ask for money or take anything. They felt it may have been a random assault.  They took my information and left.  That was it. 

who the hell calls 911 to report an assault and an attempted robbery and gets told that someone would call back?  Maybe I hit my head too hard on the counter, but this seems a bit f*cked up to me.
Are you sure we're talking about the same God here, because yours sounds kind of like a dick.
schugg
Hotel President
Hotel President

Re: police response to crime from a victim's point of view.

Post by schugg »

well, I hope he has a serious case of the blue balls.  can you give a description? and what he said if anything?
ComandanteCero
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by ComandanteCero »

wow! that's crazy.  Did you get a good look at him?  That really seems bizarre, that the operator would just say they'd call you back (and never do so)..... or maybe tv/movie police enforcement is different from reality.  I figure if someone was assaulted or robbed, the cops would be on the scene and looking around to maybe catch the perp (do a line up, the works). 
KC Region is all part of the same animal regardless of state and county lines.
Think on the Regional scale.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

Sounds like the media would love this story.....any cameras in the store or description?
http://downtownkcmo.blogspot.com

Tweeting live from Big 12 tournament @downtownkc
JBinKC
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by JBinKC »

I had a small incident last week (individual on the street shining a laser light in the windows of my house then walking off) and we called the police just to report it.  Same thing...they asked for a number and called us back.  Only thing i can imagine is that emergencies get pushed to the top and everything else is a call back, which they did within 2 minutes.
Tosspot
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by Tosspot »

two words:

Hate Crime?

Sick the news media hounds all over this. And the dipshitterously incompetent police response.

photoblog. 

until further notice i will routinely point out spelling errors committed by any here whom i frequently do battle wit
tat2kc
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by tat2kc »

I am thinking hate crime also.  He didn't demand money or anything, ran right by the cash register and out the door without even taking a package of mints.  I don't believe he said anything, but when I hit the ground, I started yelling and screaming at the top of my lungs, and at that point everything was kind of a blur. 

And yea, gave the police a description of the man.  Unfortunately, since it was raining, he was pretty well covered up, so not much to tell, He was wearing a dark blue hooded sweatshirt, with the hood pulled up, dark sunglasses, and a scruffy beard.  Couldn't see much else.  And before the cops finally came, I did see him walk by the windows again! luckily, there were several people in the store at the time.  I told the cops that I has seen him after the attack walking outside. So they gave me the case number and said that if he comes back in, call them and give them the case number so that they can follow up.  Yea, right.  :roll: 

We do have a couple of spray bottles of video head cleaner, and I'll have one with me next time he comes in.  I'll spray his face and then whack him upside his head with the chrome model of a man's "private parts" we have.  Let him explain to his buddies why he has a penis shaped dent in the side of his head!

The attack really did freak me out though.  Never been in a fight, not even in school.  Other than verbal harrassment and having things thrown at me from passing cars (the typical minor gay bashing/harrassment), this is the first time since I was 20 that I've been physically attacked. (that one was getting shot in the chest by a pellet gun by some passing rednecks in Dallas).  We do teach our students some basic self defense as visually impaired kids, and I'm glad I at least remembered some of it.  I'll be surprised if I hear anything else from the police.  They tend to not follow up on attacks on gay and lesbian folks. So I am contacting the KCAVP (Kansas City anti violence project).  They'll do more followup than the police will.
Are you sure we're talking about the same God here, because yours sounds kind of like a dick.
nota
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by nota »

tat2kc wrote:
who the hell calls 911 to report an assault and an attempted robbery and gets told that someone would call back?  Maybe I hit my head too hard on the counter, but this seems a bit f*cked up to me.
I hope that you are OK. Good thing that you fought back.

FYI-the two times I've called 911 here in KC, both times I was put on hold. Both were medical emergencies, not crime things, but "on hold???"

You definitely should notify a reporter.

I wonder, just to be the devil's advocate if the "call back" thing is to avoid false alarms. Just a thought. Not a good way to handle it IMHO, but a thought just the same.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

Hopefully we have enough reporters, etc. that read this site regularly that can pick up on this story.

Tat, glad you are ok...what a horrible incident....if there is anything the site can do to help, let me know.

chrizow
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by chrizow »

that is really terrible.  i'm sorry that happened to you. 

i wonder if it was a gay-bashing, a random attack by an insane person, or both...
Maitre D
The Quiet Chair
The Quiet Chair

Post by Maitre D »

About 5 years ago, I was hit in the Crown Center parking lot by some lady in a hurry to get out.  I got her license plate, and she looked back at me and tore off.  I had damage to the car so I couldn't give chase.

When I called the KCMO p.d., they said: "did you suffer physical injury?"  I said, no.  They said, "Sorry, we don't handle any cases unless of injury.  Sorry, call insurance"

That's the price of living in a high crime area.  Tat, that's why you don't get the response you seek.
[img width=472 height=40]http://media.kansascity.com/images/champions_blue.gif[/img]

"For 15 years...KU won every time. There was no rivalry" - Frank Martin
Sparty
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by Sparty »

As a former employee of the police department, I'll try to shed some light.

PA...the police don't handle non-injury accidents on private property.  City traffic ordinances don't apply in private parking lots (no offense to investigate or ticket to write), so the only thing the police could do is the insurance companies job of declaring fault.  That is an insurance issue.

In regard to the initial assault in this thread.  The police don't just call back on an assault call.  Somewhere there was a misunderstanding.  Maybe the dispatcher didn't retain what you said or is stupid, or you made it sound like more of a suspicious person rather than an assault.  The police use the call back for low priority calls.  For things like a suspicious person or burglary with no suspect, they will dispatch an officer who should call you very soon.  The officer will get the information on the call, and attempt to handle it between other calls that take a higher priority.  Otherwise these calls used to be held for up to 4 hours before an officer was dispatched.  There is simply too many people that call 911 to be able to handle everything immediately.
DiggityDawg
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by DiggityDawg »

Jeezus, tat...glad to hear you came outta that ( fairly ) unscathed. And nice job with the crotch kick.  :P

I've had issues with the 911 people before, too...I know what you're talking about.
Boo Radley
Parking Garage
Parking Garage

Post by Boo Radley »

My sister witnessed a car jacking in River Market last weekend.  The two guys who had broken the windows out of the car ran when she drove by.  My sis called the local police to let them know about the break in.  The person she talked with asked, "Do you have a description of the two men?"  My sister told her she couldn't get a description and the lady replied with, "Well that doesn't do me any good now, does it?"  I couldn't believe it when she told me that.
Sparty
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by Sparty »

Boo Radley wrote: My sister witnessed a car jacking in River Market last weekend.  The two guys who had broken the windows out of the car ran when she drove by.  My sis called the local police to let them know about the break in.  The person she talked with asked, "Do you have a description of the two men?"  My sister told her she couldn't get a description and the lady replied with, "Well that doesn't do me any good now, does it?"  I couldn't believe it when she told me that.
This is a pet peeve.  The media screws this up all of the time to make something sound better (much of the reason downtown has a bad perception).  There is a HUGE difference between a "carjacking" and a "break in".  A carjacking is stealing someone's car while they are in it, and using force to get them out of the car(usually a gun).  If they just got there car broken into, well that's like calling the police and saying that there is a car parked in a handicapped space. 
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

There was a story on some news about this woman being mad the cops didn't come out when she reported her car stolen.....and the police spokeman said something to the effect of there is no evidence there to collect, no reason to come out...time is better spent entering information and doing the leg work.....which I agree with...just because the police don't come visit (in some cases) doesn't mean they aren't working....they aren't there to calm you down because your car was stolen.

Sparty
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by Sparty »

KCPowercat wrote: There was a story on some news about this woman being mad the cops didn't come out when she reported her car stolen.....and the police spokeman said something to the effect of there is no evidence there to collect, no reason to come out...time is better spent entering information and doing the leg work.....which I agree with...just because the police don't come visit (in some cases) doesn't mean they aren't working....they aren't there to calm you down because your car was stolen.
Exactly...it makes no sense to go out to this lady's house, when it can all be done over the phone by a police employee.  Now if the bad guy left a screw driver or some type of evidence, an officer would have to come out.  There are a rediculous amount of cars stolen in this city every day.  By sending an officer to each of those calls, it would make people wait even longer for an officer to show up on more important calls.  The best scenario would be for the city to pony up and hire a lot more cops.  Of course, that won't happen.
Thaine
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by Thaine »

My understanding 911 at this point in time determines if there is someone hostile present with a weapon and if not you get mothballed.

Tat-  I'm guessing that unless the guy said something to you or someone else that was derogatory based on your orientation or ethnicity its not a hate crime.  When and if it comes down to it he'll just say he thought he saw you flip him off or mean mug him or something.

I hope this doesn't change your world view much Tat.
Joemoney
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by Joemoney »

edit:  nothing to do with the topic.  kcpowercat

edit:  the one time i'm not trolling and feel sorry for the guy my post gets edited, ironic.  -joemoney
Last edited by Joemoney on Mon Jun 26, 2006 5:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
RON PAUL FOR PRESIDENT IN 2008
http://www.ronpaul2008.com/
tat2kc
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by tat2kc »

KCPD is not exactly known for investigating bias crimes. I wouldn't expect them to do anything, even with an exact physical desription and a picture.  Thats why I called KCAVP. They are an agency that tracks violence against the LGBT community, including domestic violence. The mainstream anti-violence agencies in town were notorious in not assisting victims if they were a sexual minority. 
Sparty-
I told the 911 operator that I was working in a store, in westport, and that the guy assaulted me in the store, behind the counter, and that it may have been an attempted robbery. If thats not enough to warrant more than: "I'll take a message and have someone call you.", then its no wonder KC is as violent as it is. 

But what really pisses me off is that now, everytime I see someone who fits the description, I can feel my pulse start to race.  And I hate that feeling. The bastard.

But, thanks for all the nice support! Makes it not so bad.  All I can say is Thank God for Boulevard Pale Ale!! I felt much better after a beer or 4.