Johnson County Sun: Their official position on Bi-State II

KC topics that don't fit anywhere else.
Maitre D
The Quiet Chair
The Quiet Chair

Post by Maitre D »

They officially endorsed it. So perhaps the anti-Joco crowd here can simmer down a bit.

http://www.zwire.com/site/news.cfm?news ... 5728&rfi=6

So did Steve Rose:

http://www.zwire.com/site/news.cfm?news ... 5728&rfi=8
BISTATE: Although it will be a very uphill battle for Bistate II to prevail in Johnson County, it could squeak by in Jackson and Clay counties, and those who believe that we can continue to ask Jackson County to shoulder the entire burden for metropolitan assets in the future are shortsighted. Never mind this particular proposal. In the long run, Johnson County citizens cannot walk away from our responsibilities to support, through tax dollars, the amenities that make this region a desirable place to live. This is the only major metropolitan area in America with a state line down the middle. The affluent and educated population has moved to Kansas. If we tell Missouri to stick it, we are shooting ourselves in the foot. They cannot do it alone. And if the regional assets suffer, we all will suffer.
[img width=472 height=40]http://media.kansascity.com/images/champions_blue.gif[/img]

"For 15 years...KU won every time. There was no rivalry" - Frank Martin
staubio
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by staubio »

The affluent and educated population has moved to Kansas?

Wow. Isn't he a charmer? Der, I'm just an unedjumikated Missourian.

:roll:
WoodDraw
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by WoodDraw »

Yeah, :puke:
KCK
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by KCK »

the only metro with a state line down the middle???

New York NY, NJ

St. Louis MO, IL

Chicago IL, IN

Cincinnati OH, KY, IN
New Body, New Job, New SOUL!!!!

KCK IS BACK!!!!
ComandanteCero
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by ComandanteCero »

well i would say KC actually is the closest to having a state line right down the middle. All those other states have disproportionate amounts of the metro region in one state (MO for St. Louis, IL for Chicago, NY for New York, don't know enough about the others to comment....) Not to pick at the details, hehehe. But yeah, that editorial is kind of condescending in a backhanded way.
KC Region is all part of the same animal regardless of state and county lines.
Think on the Regional scale.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

DMW, I'm not sure I can find any other metro where the population is so balanced between two state lines....not any that you listed above.
http://downtownkcmo.blogspot.com

Tweeting live from Big 12 tournament @downtownkc
Tosspot
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by Tosspot »

Channel 9 just interviewed some jerk named Flaherty who headed up a group of Johnson Countians against BiState II.

This prick actually said the money would be better used within Johnson County.

TK is right, fucking Johnson County gits think they are independent of KCMO, when the fact is that little shithole they live in would be NOTHING if not for the fortunate fact it sits right next to KCMO.

One KC? It'll be a cold day in hell before JoCo ever realizes they utilize the benefits of KC as well.

I get so fed-up with this typical Johnson Countian attitude that their strip mall infested, parking lot dotted crudscape is some veritable utopia of hearth. Many of these people never bother to leave their cozy confines unless it's to get to the airport- and I'm related to some of these people.

Not to mention the fact that Johnson Countians wouldn't even have a national/international airport within hundreds of miles if it wasn't for, GUESS WHAT...Kansas City Missouri.

photoblog. 

until further notice i will routinely point out spelling errors committed by any here whom i frequently do battle wit
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

=D>
eliphar17
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by eliphar17 »

Man I am so f***ing tired of hearing this never-ending bashing on JoCo. So f***ing tired.

LOOK AT THE FACTS: Jackson County was the ONLY county to support the metro-wide tax to bail them out of a bad lease agreement. That means that FOUR counties voted against it. That means that THREE OTHER counties besides JoCo voted against it. That includes TWO counties with KCMO in their borders.

AHHH! How can you preach OneKC when you respond to the "typical Johnson Countian attitude" with what I will justifiably call your typical urban snob attitude? I just don't understand. Where is the love? When will all of you who hate JoCo (ahem TOSSPOT) decide to take a step toward OneKC by throwing away this stupid attitude of "they hate us, so we hate them back"? You're like a little girl. Grow up.
Tosspot
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by Tosspot »

eliphar17 wrote:Man I am so f***ing tired of hearing this never-ending bashing on JoCo. So f***ing tired.

LOOK AT THE FACTS: Jackson County was the ONLY county to support the metro-wide tax to bail them out of a bad lease agreement. That means that FOUR counties voted against it. That means that THREE OTHER counties besides JoCo voted against it. That includes TWO counties with KCMO in their borders.

AHHH! How can you preach OneKC when you respond to the "typical Johnson Countian attitude" with what I will justifiably call your typical urban snob attitude? I just don't understand. Where is the love? When will all of you who hate JoCo (ahem TOSSPOT) decide to take a step toward OneKC by throwing away this stupid attitude of "they hate us, so we hate them back"? You're like a little girl. Grow up.
This is a flawed argument. I sure as hell don't see any representatives on TV from Platte or Clay county decrying how the money should go to be spent in their own counties. No, everytime I hear anyone stand up and complain how money should stay in their own county...it's someone from JOHNSON COUNTY. Sorry if you can't handle it, but ridicule is often the fate of the ridiculous (JoCo).

photoblog. 

until further notice i will routinely point out spelling errors committed by any here whom i frequently do battle wit
Beltonhawk
New York Life
New York Life

Post by Beltonhawk »

That's total bullshit. People all over the metro bashed and voted down Bi State. Just because some jackass from JoCo gets on the news, don't assume that all of JoCo people think like him. Some of the biggest KC supporters I know live in JoCo.

One of biggest opponents fighting the arena was that idiot who owns all that land in the WBottoms...a KCMO resident. Nobody jumped on KCMO because of that guy.

The bashing of JoCo, and suburbs in general is ridiculous. Without the burbs of this metro, Kansas City (metro) would have long been forgotten as the core declined.

Even after the BS1 fiasco, and all the corruption that KCMO politics have had in the past, 45% of JoCo still voted for it....and I guarantee you a lower percentage of the KCMO residents on this board voted yes.

If you don't appreciate the fact that a strong suburban population is essential to the survival of this city, then you're blind.[/b]
trailerkid
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by trailerkid »

Beltonhawk wrote:Some of the biggest KC supporters I know live in JoCo.
Some people in NE Jo Co...PV, Fairway, N. Leawood are about as pro-KCMO as you can get. They basically live there.
KCghettoboi
Strip mall
Strip mall

?

Post by KCghettoboi »

Now that the Bi-State II has failed will the Metrop[olitan Preforming Arts Center still be built? Does it make it more probable by it failing that we will get new stadiums downtown? What does it all mean?
www.outlawstoughcrowd.com/phpbb

La región de la ciudad de Kansas crecerá y prosperará excedente los años que vienen, y se convertirá encendido del mejor del cercano oeste
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

little early to predict all of that. I believe the PAC still will be built. You don't raise 2/3's of the money and just quit.

downtown baseball stadium I wouldn't bet on right now but a lot of variables still to determine on that.

Tosspot
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by Tosspot »

Beltonhawk wrote:That's total bullshit. People all over the metro bashed and voted down Bi State. Just because some jackass from JoCo gets on the news, don't assume that all of JoCo people think like him. Some of the biggest KC supporters I know live in JoCo.

One of biggest opponents fighting the arena was that idiot who owns all that land in the WBottoms...a KCMO resident. Nobody jumped on KCMO because of that guy.

The bashing of JoCo, and suburbs in general is ridiculous. Without the burbs of this metro, Kansas City (metro) would have long been forgotten as the core declined.

Even after the BS1 fiasco, and all the corruption that KCMO politics have had in the past, 45% of JoCo still voted for it....and I guarantee you a lower percentage of the KCMO residents on this board voted yes.

If you don't appreciate the fact that a strong suburban population is essential to the survival of this city, then you're blind.[/b]
Again people are putting words in my mouth.

I did not say KCMO doesn't benefit from the multitudinous little suburbs that surround it like a festering boil. I implied that the suburbs derive GREATER benefit from KCMO than KCMO does from the suburbs. And that jerk's speech on Channel 9 sent me over the edge. And by the way, I know SEVERAL JoCo people, including some relatives, who honestly wouldn't give a damn if KCMO is wiped off the map. If you can't see this then YOU are blind.

photoblog. 

KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

well if KCMO was wiped off the earth, the burbs would die.....suburbs don't survive alone...cities need suburbs but not one specific suburb...if one is gone, the "burbs" just move to another area of the city.

Without a core, there is no city, there is Hays, KS.

Beltonhawk
New York Life
New York Life

Post by Beltonhawk »

I did not say KCMO doesn't benefit from the multitudinous little suburbs that surround it like a festering boil. I implied that the suburbs derive GREATER benefit from KCMO than KCMO does from the suburbs. And that jerk's speech on Channel 9 sent me over the edge. And by the way, I know SEVERAL JoCo people, including some relatives, who honestly wouldn't give a damn if KCMO is wiped off the map. If you can't see this then YOU are blind.
You let one guy who gets some face time on the TV and a few of your relatives dictate your feelings towards an entire county? Crazy. 45% of the people in JoCo voted yes. 110,000 people said yes. We can assume that most or all of them support the KCMO metro. Of the ones who voted no, who knows their reasons. But I doubt that they all hate KCMO with the passion that the idiot on the TV and your relatives do. Most of them probably voted it down because they saw the same flaws that the people of Clay, Platte, and JaxCo saw in it. And don't even talk about WyDot...it failed by a far worse percentage there than JoCo. Where's the anger towards them?

As far as who needs who more, suburbs or core...it's a pointless argument...JoCo is nationally revered as a great place to raise a family...but part of that is because of what KCMO has to offer (sports, zoo, arts, etc)

The fact is that both need each other. Suburbs (on both sides of the state line mind you)need KCMO because it gives the Metro a big city image. KCMO needs the suburbs because urban KCMO can't support itself on its own in the 21st century- just like 95% of the big cities in this country.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

belton...that's very true but no major city needs one specific burb. that's more my point. If say Lee Summitt didn't exist, KCMO would still be as big as it was, people would have just settled in Independence instead.

Tosspot
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by Tosspot »

For the record, I actually voted against BSII. I didn't intend to make this an issue of suburbanites voting it down, merely an issue of that guy on the news who seems to have the idea that JOCO can simply retreat upon itself and live independently of the rest of the city- an attitude that I revile.

I just hope a better plan comes along soon, I'm still for funding the PAC, but I just didn't want to approve the extra pork that came along with it. And if you ask me, BSII's marketing was totally inept...never once did I see a commercial featuring the renderings of the Truman. I think if they had many more people would have voted for it. Hopefully, if a new bi-state plan comes along, it will be marketed and managed better than this present BSII fiasco.

photoblog. 

Beltonhawk
New York Life
New York Life

Post by Beltonhawk »

Exactly my point KCP.

I just grow tired of the constant, irrational bashing of the burbs on this board, especially JoCo. I fully understand that this board is mostly perused by core-type people, and that's fine. I've lurked and been a member of this board for a couple of years...

But when you constantly bash everything that isn't what you're all about, even when it's a good thing, it becomes repetitive and predictable, and people will tend to take your points less and less seriously: see Devin.