KC in TV and Movies

KC topics that don't fit anywhere else.
scooterj
Ambassador

Re: KC in TV and Movies

Post by scooterj »

Since it's been on pay-per-view I finally got to see "Be Kind, Rewind" the other day.    Downtown Kansas City is portrayed in it by means of assorted cardboard boxes with windows drawn on by marker, while a toy train pulls into the "Kansas City Train Station" on a snowy (via the shaking of laundry soap from above) day.
phxcat
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by phxcat »

scooterj wrote: Since it's been on pay-per-view I finally got to see "Be Kind, Rewind" the other day.    Downtown Kansas City is portrayed in it by means of assorted cardboard boxes with windows drawn on by marker, while a toy train pulls into the "Kansas City Train Station" on a snowy (via the shaking of laundry soap from above) day.
What movie were they recreating?
AllThingsKC
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by AllThingsKC »

scooterj wrote: Since it's been on pay-per-view I finally got to see "Be Kind, Rewind" the other day.    Downtown Kansas City is portrayed in it by means of assorted cardboard boxes with windows drawn on by marker, while a toy train pulls into the "Kansas City Train Station" on a snowy (via the shaking of laundry soap from above) day.
Wow.  Talk about low budget film.    :lol:
KC is the way to be!
scooterj
Ambassador

Post by scooterj »

phxcat wrote: What movie were they recreating?
None, it's during a part where they are shooting their own original film.
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

I was watching some preview for the Olympics, and they talked about sprinter Muna Lee, from Central High in KCMO.
SAVE THE PLAZA - FROM ZOMBIES! Find out how at:

http://twitter.com/TheKCRag
justin8216
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by justin8216 »

AllThingsKC wrote: Yesterday, SciFi showed the movie, "Asteroid." - Which is a movie about an asteriod coming to Earth, set to hit Kansas City.  So, they evauate the KC area.  The asteroid hits The Freeman Reservoir in Downtown Kansas City, flooding the now ghost town of a city.  Only I-285 remains open in Kansas City.  After the Kansas City Military Base allows people back into the city, the citizens of KC are back and celebrating the 4th of July in their houses only to find out that thousands more asteroids are coming in 27 minutes and a "big" asteroid hits Dallas.  Once Dallas gets destroyed, the fire fighters in Kansas City go down to help.

While they mention real KC suburbs like Overland Park, Liberty, and Gladstone, they show shots of Dowtown Denver and call it Kansas City.  They also mention fake intersections like "5th & Jackson" and "3rd and Clover."  They also show fake radio stations.

Some info about the movie... http://www.scifi.com/sfw/issue39/screen.html

I've seen that Ateroid moive before. I thought I remember them using actual screen shots of the downtown KCMO skyline.

They show screen shots of downtown KCMO in that fake spiderman comedy spoof movie that was out recently.
Midtownkid
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by Midtownkid »

Anyone know when that movie, "Lie to me" might come out.  It did well at that film festival in April...I don't know how long these things take to make it to theaters.  I'm assuming it will be in theaters, right?

Also, what is the latest on 'mending our broken heart' TV special.  I saw the great add for it online, but haven't heard anything for a while.  Is that still gonna be in TV?

:-s
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

Midtownkid wrote: Anyone know when that movie, "Lie to me" might come out.  It did well at that film festival in April...I don't know how long these things take to make it to theaters.  I'm assuming it will be in theaters, right?

Also, what is the latest on 'mending our broken heart' TV special.  I saw the great add for it online, but haven't heard anything for a while.  Is that still gonna be in TV?

according to IMDB, it appears a single festival date is all that has happened so far. here's the film's website.
AllThingsKC
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by AllThingsKC »

Jay Leno mentioned the Kansas City Zoo tonight.

I guess a Golden Retriever was taking care of some new born tigers (I think it was tigers, anyway.  Maybe that's just an MU bias).

Anyway, his comment was something like, "How lame is the Kansas City Zoo when people go there to see a Golden Retriever in the first place?"
KC is the way to be!
Cyclops
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by Cyclops »

Midtownkid wrote: Anyone know when that movie, "Lie to me" might come out.  It did well at that film festival in April...I don't know how long these things take to make it to theaters.  I'm assuming it will be in theaters, right?

I can find out what's going on with it... My guess is they are still looking for a distributor. The route for an Indy like that is to work the festivals and hope that someone picks it up. They may or may not have had any offers yet but if it shows well at some of the bigger festivals it could do well.

Another KC made movie "All Roads Lead Home", which was filmed in south KC has been picked up by AMC and will be playing around the country on AMC screens. It will be premiering in KC in late September.

http://www.allroadsleadhomethemovie.com/
the only thing for sure is change.
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

Not KC, but Stephen Colbert does a hilarious slam of Canton, Kansas

http://www.comedycentral.com/colbertrep ... oId=177952
SAVE THE PLAZA - FROM ZOMBIES! Find out how at:

http://twitter.com/TheKCRag
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

AllThingsKC wrote: Jay Leno mentioned the Kansas City Zoo tonight.

I guess a Golden Retriever was taking care of some new born tigers (I think it was tigers, anyway.  Maybe that's just an MU bias).

Anyway, his comment was something like, "How lame is the Kansas City Zoo when people go there to see a Golden Retriever in the first place?"
that's funny... because it actually happened in chanute, kansas.
moderne
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by moderne »

that's funnier, because it was Caney, Kansas
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

moderne wrote: that's funnier, because it was Caney, Kansas
busted! and i'm from the area! there's also a "safari" in chanute...
NDTeve
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by NDTeve »

Also mention of playing a concert in Kansas City on Generation Kill on HBO.
Much better than Cruiser on Stripes...

"My name's Howard J. Turkstra.
I'm from Kansas City.

My hobbies are fast cars
and fast women.

Because... That's why guys in
my car club call me "The Cruiser."

Should call him "The Dork."
"Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first."
- Mark Twain
Midtownkid
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by Midtownkid »

DaveKCMO wrote: there's a contestant from olathe on this season of HGTV's design star. she'll be voted off soon because she's annoying.
Well, she actually just won the whole thing and her show is premiering this January.  Wow, 2 Kansas City area winners of (pretty big) reality show contests this year...
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

the design star contestant from olathe won last night. her new HGTV show will start in january.
NDTeve
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by NDTeve »

I got about six emails from people telling me to vote for her. Better grassroots campaign than McCain's put together.
"Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first."
- Mark Twain
CrimsonInKC
Pad site
Pad site

Post by CrimsonInKC »

The U2 video was horrible.
KCKev
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by KCKev »

Joy Farm-  Psycho Probe will be on Tucson TV 08-11-08. This was a public access show in KC back in the day. If you want to see it get on the internet and go to accesstucson.org. click on what's on tv then go to watch online.
it will be on channel 72/120 at 5:00 am tucson time 7:00 am KC time monday morning 8-11-08. I'm doing the weekend programming for our 3 channels now and put it in for everyone back home in KC.
Not many of you remember public access in KC I bet. :(
If you're not on the EDGE, you're taking up TOO MUCH ROOM!