Re: KC in TV and Movies

Post by normalthings »

I think this is a lead up to the olympics ad
taxi
Penntower
Penntower

Post by taxi »

Love Fraud is streaming on Showtime. Much of it takes place in KC and there are lots of shots of the subject's haunts, including Centropolis (where he rented a few apartments for short-term corporate housing), the River Market and random other b-roll stuff.

I met "Mickey" in the parking garage of Centropolis a while back and then he tried to rent a townhouse I was managing. He showed up to look at it with his fiancé, Tracy. I knew something was off about him – I try very hard not to be prejudiced but the Hummer, bedazzled jeans, twitching eye and stuttering at difficult questions were red flags. My first impressions are usually correct, but not always. A couple days later, Tracy called me to tell me she found out he is not who he says he is and sent me to his victims' blog http://scottthecrooksmith.weebly.com/. She's featured in the 4 episode series, along with her smart daughter.

I'm not a big fan of the genre but this series is very well done and the last episode is a doozy. The co-directors have done other excellent movies, mostly docs, including Jesus Camp and Detropia. They are very talented. I recommend it.
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

normalthings wrote: Wed May 19, 2021 12:17 am
Here is the complete ad.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GXucSVVYvGQ
TheLastGentleman
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by TheLastGentleman »

woah

Chris Stritzel
Penntower
Penntower

Post by Chris Stritzel »

FangKC wrote: Wed May 19, 2021 9:15 pm
Here is the complete ad.

So did they really put a rock climbing wall on top of that building when they did that ad? I'm not in town so I don't know. Also, and this is just me being picky, but when the guy goes into the building, it says Town Pavilion on the door but when he's on the roof of the building, it's Lightwell/City Center Square.
Chris Stritzel
Penntower
Penntower

Post by Chris Stritzel »

TheLastGentleman wrote: Wed May 19, 2021 11:42 pm woah

Cool perspective here and makes me want to recreate it with my drone, but restrictions are in place being so close to the Downtown Airport. The image is a few years old. You can notice the green from when McGownGordon's office was under construction on Main.
Riverite
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by Riverite »

Chris Stritzel wrote: Thu May 20, 2021 12:50 am

Here is the complete ad.

So did they really put a rock climbing wall on top of that building when they did that ad? I'm not in town so I don't know. Also, and this is just me being picky, but when the guy goes into the building, it says Town Pavilion on the door but when he's on the roof of the building, it's Lightwell/City Center Square.
That’s a cool commercial, that would be so cool if they had a permanent climbing wall on a roof like that
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

Chris Stritzel wrote: Thu May 20, 2021 12:50 am

Here is the complete ad.

Yes, they really put one up there.
droopy
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by droopy »

Not sure how this came up in my youtube feed but Charles Miller from War is apparently from Olathe originally as stated in a recently posted Low Rider remaster.
https://youtu.be/BsrqKE1iqqo
KCKev
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by KCKev »

Sitting here in Tucson watching FCKC women soccer. Didn't even know there was such a team. Must be to much "cordish Light" in everyone's eyes to mention it?
They just mentioned that kansas city and Portland shared BBQ. Makes me want a pound of pulled pork and brisket from AB's
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

KCKev wrote: Sun Jun 20, 2021 3:47 pm Sitting here in Tucson watching FCKC women soccer. Didn't even know there was such a team. Must be to much "cordish Light" in everyone's eyes to mention it?
They just mentioned that kansas city and Portland shared BBQ. Makes me want a pound of pulled pork and brisket from AB's
Team is new this year. Co-owned by Brittany Mahomes. Have they won a single game this year?
KCKev
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by KCKev »

Don't think they have won a game yet. Where do they play? Same as Sporting KC over in kansas? Wish them all the Luck this year but must be hard for a new team.
If you're not on the EDGE, you're taking up TOO MUCH ROOM!
kboish
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by kboish »

They play at Community America Ballpark next door to where Sporting plays in KCK.

I think i posted about the ownership group overall previously. They have big plans for their own soccer specific stadium. Seems like a good group overall if a bit ambitious. Mahomes’ wife is part of the ownership group.
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

kboish wrote: Sun Jun 20, 2021 5:45 pm They play at Community America Ballpark next door to where Sporting plays in KCK.

I think i posted about the ownership group overall previously. They have big plans for their own soccer specific stadium. Seems like a good group overall if a bit ambitious. Mahomes’ wife is part of the ownership group.
Links to those posts?
kboish
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by kboish »

normalthings wrote: Sun Jun 20, 2021 7:49 pm
kboish wrote: Sun Jun 20, 2021 5:45 pm They play at Community America Ballpark next door to where Sporting plays in KCK.

Links to those posts?

viewtopic.php?f=15&t=7575&p=614272&hili ... um#p614272

Over in a discussion about a stadium at the riverfront
normalthings wrote: Tue Dec 15, 2020 2:05 pm
kboish wrote: Tue Dec 15, 2020 1:57 pm https://www.kansascity.com/sports/spt-c ... 61715.html
Their vision is enormous: They’ll begin at T-Bones Stadium but then build the country’s first soccer-specific stadium for a women’s team, with around 10,000-seat capacity regularly sold out for families, young professionals and fans around the Midwest to watch the world’s best players.
What was their average attendance the first time they were here? MLS isn’t a profit making endeveour so any women’s stadium will require even higher levels of incentives. Sporting KC is one of few profitable teams with $1 million income. Probably would be a loss if not for Cerner events at their stadium.
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

Saw on the tele tonight that the doctor believed to have masterminded the Haiti assassination attended college in KC.
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

The National Geographic Channel is running a show about the Steamboat Arabia being dug up. The Show is called Drain the Oceans, the episode is entitled "The Mississippi River."
moderne
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by moderne »

History Channel running show "Road Warriors" about creation of interstate highway system. Before the Interstate Highway Act preliminary plans shown across US to local leaders to drum up support. Program showed about a dozen of city plans, one was KC. 35, 29, and 70 about same. 70 with same routing over Intercity Lewis & Clark Viaduct tightly coiled around DT. No Benton or Jackson curves however. 435 only planned from 35 in JoCo to Clay Co. Big difference in that at about Independence Ave it headed northwest and crossed river around present Chouteau bridge and continued to 29/35 split with big 4 way interchange. Basically staying on 435 north would put you on 29 north. 635 hit 29 further east around n. Oak.
KCKev
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by KCKev »

Watching SKC on Unimas here in Tucson. Playing at Children's Mercy Park.ahead 3-1 @ 78th minute.
If you're not on the EDGE, you're taking up TOO MUCH ROOM!
moderne
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by moderne »

Netflix showing docudrama "Procession" about adult men who were sexually victimized by priests. Shot mostly in KC, Lake Viking and Lake of the Ozarks. Some nice shots of downtown, but certainly not the type of notoriety the chamber of commerce would want. Archbishop Naumann is villified and cursed for his role. Most practicing Catholic I know do not like him at all.