Worst City For Dating?

KC topics that don't fit anywhere else.
Rev
Parking Garage
Parking Garage

Worst City For Dating?

Post by Rev »

According to Sperling's Best Places, Kansas City is the worst city in the country for dating. Followed by Wichita???

http://houseandhome.msn.com/move/BestCi ... ating.aspx

One thing I noticed. Part of the criteria was percentage of singles 18-24. So college towns got a BIG boost.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Worst City For Dating?

Post by KCPowercat »

Austin is the city list darling......

file this with all the other lists....because we all know # of coffee shops is very important in the dating scene. :roll:
http://downtownkcmo.blogspot.com

Tweeting live from Big 12 tournament @downtownkc
Rev
Parking Garage
Parking Garage

Worst City For Dating?

Post by Rev »

KCPowercat wrote:....because we all know # of coffee shops is very important in the dating scene. :roll:
I thought that was great criteria also. [/sarcasm]

KC has a couple of things working against it on this list. First it's not just a college town (see Ann Arbor). And second, people get married at a younger age around here than say, San Diego.
Slappy the Wang
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Worst City For Dating?

Post by Slappy the Wang »

I would have guessed Baltimore would have been the best. It has the nations highest percentage of STD's....you'd think the two would coincide.
Be green or go Broke Tryin'
scooterj
Ambassador

Worst City For Dating?

Post by scooterj »

Rev wrote:And second, people get married at a younger age around here than say, San Diego.
Jeez, how old are they marrying in San Diego then? Most of my friends are in their 30s and still dating, never married. The few people I know who did marry in their 20s married in their late 20s and about half of those are divorced already and dating again. :)
staubio
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Worst City For Dating?

Post by staubio »

I'm also quite annoyed with these rankings.

Keep in mind that they are built from data the represents a snap-shot in time. The data is old and there was lag when the data was collected. I see Kansas City's demographics changing rapidly and there is no way this is captured when using census and CDC data that is probably dated.

Also, Kansas City's large geographic area skews the numbers. Many cities on the list probably don't have the mass of families and suburban-like developement in their cities proper. If we compared midtown/downtown alone to the other cities, I think we'd fare much better. Throw the Northland in and of course we've got far fewer bars, coffee shops and hookups per capita.

There are so many variables that it drives me insane. The only thing that really bothers me is that people might take these things seriously or that they might perpetuate themselves. As a single guy in KC, I'm quite tired of hearing how hopeless everything is based on a dated analysis of questionably relevant data from some deoderant company somewhere.

Apples and oranges, really. I feel quite positively for Kansas City as it emerges as a better and better city by the month and I'm along for the ride, even though this list tells me I have to move to Austin to get a date.

:roll:
ignatius
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Worst City For Dating?

Post by ignatius »

Read the article. The one reason KC scored the lowest was because they say KC ranks highest in per capita divorce.
scooterj
Ambassador

Worst City For Dating?

Post by scooterj »

ignatius wrote:Read the article. The one reason KC scored the lowest was because they say KC ranks highest in per capita divorce.
I read the article. The word "divorce" appears nowhere in it at all, nor does it offer any explanation for why it listed KC dead last.

If anything, divorces free up more singles. So for the purposes of finding dates, that would technically be a plus.

Also I'd take with a grain of salt any statistical analysis calculated by a site that lists the 64105 zip code's neighborhood type as "suburban" in its Neighborhood Profiles section.
KCK
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Worst City For Dating?

Post by KCK »

Ok, if we rate so high in divorce in KC, the dating pool should be enlarged by all of the new divorcees :D :D :D

Also how can Austin be so great for dating if it is also like so highly rated by homosexuals. I mean that doesn't help my chances of getting a date in Austin at all. (no offense)
New Body, New Job, New SOUL!!!!

KCK IS BACK!!!!
chrizow
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Worst City For Dating?

Post by chrizow »

Austin is like a gigantic college town (because, well, it IS). but in addition to UT, the city itself attracts tons of young single people. i am not surprised it is at the top of the list.

KC is probably ok, but the scene seems to be pretty homogenous. either youre puking on your shoes at XO or youre hoping to bump into someone at Muddy's. i havent really "dated" in KC but that's what i gather. if you're not in the Meathead/TrophyWife pool, it's pretty hard.

i for one don't go for the anorexic blondes doing the Handbag Dance, but more power to those that are. i'll just have to keep skulking around the Nelson's Sculpture Garden...heheh.

honestly, from what i understand, KC has a good dating scene if you're gay. the gay dating scene seems much more healthy in KC than the hetero scene. this might just be a product of the company i keep though.
bahua
Administrator
Administrator

Worst City For Dating?

Post by bahua »

Every city has lots of young single people, at least in the area. It's just that in KC, they mostly seem to be living in drive-up apartments in JoCo, which keeps them basically off the streets in the city, and largely out of the dating scene.
bahua
Administrator
Administrator

Worst City For Dating?

Post by bahua »

RE: anorexic blondes,

I loves me a woman with a little bit of meat stinking out between her shirt and her pants, and blondes are trouble, because 95% of blondes are really brunettes who think it's better to be blonde.
Slappy the Wang
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Worst City For Dating?

Post by Slappy the Wang »

bahua wrote:RE: anorexic blondes,

I loves me a woman with a little bit of meat stinking out between her shirt and her pants, and blondes are trouble, because 95% of blondes are really brunettes who think it's better to be blonde.
Dude, eating disorder chicks are bad news. You don't want some chick who throws up all the time. If Lewinski had left a barf stain on Bill's trousers instead of getting a goo stain on the blue dress...well, skip it, but stay away from sick chicks.
Be green or go Broke Tryin'
Electric_Cactus
Pad site
Pad site

Worst City For Dating?

Post by Electric_Cactus »

I agree with what Bahua said, about the young people living in drive-up apartments in Johnson County.

A good friend of mine sells insurance in Midtown KC. He's 34 and has connections everywhere through his job. He calls Kansas City a "retirement city." I believe him, even though that might be changing slowly.

Now i'm not in retirement, but honestly...I don't really meet a lot of "single" younger people either. I like to think I get out pretty often, and I do the Westport scene every now and then as well. But I'll be damned if I'm going to look for a girlfriend (even a friend, for that matter) at XO or America's Pub...lol
"Quiet people aren't the only ones who don't say much."
TheDude
Strip mall
Strip mall

Worst City For Dating?

Post by TheDude »

all ya need to do for a date in this town is cruise Indy Ave or West Bottoms with a $20 bill; you will still have $5 left over for a #2 @ McD's on the way home.
"ALWAYS be closing"
Electric_Cactus
Pad site
Pad site

Worst City For Dating?

Post by Electric_Cactus »

That's not a date! It's an excuse to go to the doctor for emergency STD testing. #-o
"Quiet people aren't the only ones who don't say much."
staubio
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Worst City For Dating?

Post by staubio »

Electric_Cactus wrote:I agree with what Bahua said, about the young people living in drive-up apartments in Johnson County.

A good friend of mine sells insurance in Midtown KC. He's 34 and has connections everywhere through his job. He calls Kansas City a "retirement city." I believe him, even though that might be changing slowly.

Now i'm not in retirement, but honestly...I don't really meet a lot of "single" younger people either. I like to think I get out pretty often, and I do the Westport scene every now and then as well. But I'll be damned if I'm going to look for a girlfriend (even a friend, for that matter) at XO or America's Pub...lol
I have the same thought about XO and America's Pub... but look at you, you are going there. :-) There is bound to be anomolies.

Perhaps this is the problem. Stop going to America's Pub. There are excellent places with more appealing clientele. Why do we doom ourselves to mediocrity by acting as if Westport is our only choice? Westport is where uninformed or unimaginative people go to get hammered. I've met a lot more people by simply branching out. Spend some time on the Main Street corridor in the Crossroads or in the River Market. The crowds are much more professional and much more polished. I would most certainly go on a date with a girl I met at Harry's Country Club, Kabal, Bulldog or Bar Natasha.

I think the drive-up aspect is changing in some respects, just as the city begins to gain in popularity. Are any of us really interested in girls that feel compelled to live in the suburbs in the first place? I consider that an effective filtering mechanism.

I REFUSE TO ACCEPT that Kansas City is an impossible place for a young single person. You get what you expect.
MidtownGrrl
Strip mall
Strip mall

Worst City For Dating?

Post by MidtownGrrl »

There seems to be a bit of a pickup scene at Davey's when I've been there for shows. I've been partnered for long time now, and we go there for the music, but we always seem to catch a bit of the Kansas City mating ritual.
QueSi2Opie
Bryant Building
Bryant Building
Location: Hangin' with the cons, crazies, and crackheads on 11th & Grand.

Worst City For Dating?

Post by QueSi2Opie »

Electric_Cactus wrote:But I'll be damned if I'm going to look for a girlfriend (even a friend, for that matter) at XO or America's Pub...lol
C'mon now, I met my beautiful lil' wife at America's Pub! Although that place sucks, I guess it was good for something.

Problem is that most of these girls are either plastic snobs or fat bitches with kids already. It's difficult to find a good wholesome, college educated, down-to-earth, cute alternative chic that isn't a lesbian in KC.
The Pendergast Poltergeist Project!

I finally divorced beer and proposed to whiskey, but I occassionally cheat with fine wine.
MidtownGrrl
Strip mall
Strip mall

Worst City For Dating?

Post by MidtownGrrl »

Problem is that most of these girls are either plastic snobs or fat bitches with kids already. It's difficult to find a good wholesome, college educated, down-to-earth, cute alternative chic that isn't a lesbian in KC.
](*,)
Stellar attitude. I’m so sorry I’m not single and can’t experience this firsthand. No wonder my non-lesbian “college educated, down-to-earth, cute alternative chicâ€