Re: Poll shows support for NKC to secede from KC

Post by Riverite »

Loaded poll, doesn’t seem that relevant
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

Seems like a politically-motivated poll.
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

https://twitter.com/kclightrail/status/ ... 7756375044
We should probably question the unsolicited polls on hypothetical questions that won’t ever be posed to voters. #JustSayin
alejandro46
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by alejandro46 »

100% in favor of NKC Succeeding from Kansas City.

Oh wait.

Also, the people that think this will ever happen are sadly deranged. Too much OANN and Parlour fried their brains.
AlkaliAxel
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by AlkaliAxel »

This is just designed to get O'Neill and the northland members to start going against downtown projects.
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

alejandro46 wrote: Tue Sep 07, 2021 9:11 pm 100% in favor of NKC Succeeding from Kansas City.

Oh wait.

Also, the people that think this will ever happen are sadly deranged. Too much OANN and Parlour fried their brains.
How would the debt get split? I assume per person. If 25+% of tax revenue is generated downtown, would "City of Northland" be under water? There are efficiencies in having suburbs and urban together.
AlkaliAxel
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by AlkaliAxel »

At this point, it seems Mayor Lucas is holding most things back more than Northland is.
TheSmokinPun
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by TheSmokinPun »

I lived in the Northland for years until very recently & my parents are still there. I'll go ahead & say 75% of residents up there don't care about anything to do with the city or whatever, they won't vote for it either way. There just isn't a worry or anything, so this is an absolute nothing.
Anthony_Hugo98
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by Anthony_Hugo98 »

AlkaliAxel wrote: Tue Sep 07, 2021 11:08 pm At this point, it seems Mayor Lucas is holding most things back more than Northland is.
This right here, he’s had very little of note in his current term, mostly just riding Sky’s coat tails with an apparent shift in development attitude.
Riverite
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by Riverite »

Goonies wrote: Tue Sep 07, 2021 10:24 pm
Riverite wrote: Tue Sep 07, 2021 4:57 pm Loaded poll, doesn’t seem that relevant
Yeah this board has a history of dismissing polls they dont agree with. Looking back at the last mayoral race polls showing Lucas ahead were routinely dismissed.

I dont think this will ever happen because of money but there is a divide growing.
It’s literally bad research, you can’t ask leading questions.
chaglang
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by chaglang »

That 59% of northland residents pushpolled wish to stay in KCMO seems like the bigger story.

Curious what the SOTR numbers would be.
moderne
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by moderne »

I got that poll on my land line. I have not lived north in 7 years. It was questions stated as fact and they kept repeating dubious "facts" then asking "knowing this would you then vote for de-annexation?"
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

Goonies wrote: Tue Sep 07, 2021 10:24 pm
Riverite wrote: Tue Sep 07, 2021 4:57 pm Loaded poll, doesn’t seem that relevant
Yeah this board has a history of dismissing polls they dont agree with. Looking back at the last mayoral race polls showing Lucas ahead were routinely dismissed.
The big difference is that this question is not -- and will not be -- before voters. Even if the someone sought authorization, you'd falsely assume the legislature would advance it or just bungle it.

So it's release (by Remington!) is very suspect. Do we even know who funded it? You know Remington ranks low for accuracy. On top of that, it was framed as "41% support!" rather than "59% oppose!". Just think of the headlines for light rail polls -- voters love light rail 45%!
KCFan
New York Life
New York Life

Post by KCFan »

I wouldn't say 59% opposed. It was 41% for, 25% against, 33% unsure.

But is it seriously possible to secede from a city? What has to happen procedure-wise for that to happen? Would the Northland have to pay KC to leave or pay KCMO ongoing? I can't imagine the Northland can just secede and then leave all the debt behind with KCMO.
swid
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by swid »

DaveKCMO wrote: Wed Sep 08, 2021 12:43 pm So it's release (by Remington!) is very suspect. Do we even know who funded it?
I'm guessing the polling was funded by the same entities that paid for a "secede from KC" banner or billboard along southbound I-29 between I-635 and US 169. I don't remember offhand if it had a URL printed on it, but if there is one, the WHOIS record for that would at least give you an idea of the professionalism/competence of the group behind it. (And before *someone* drives by to technically-correct me, having generic/hidden WHOIS details is a data point for the "competent" bucket.)
dukuboy1
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by dukuboy1 »

I have lived in the Northland all my life with stints away for college. I enjoy it up here and liked how the cost of living relative to other suburban areas was so much lower. Now that lack (or lag rather as it has continued to grow) in population left us short on amenities for years but things are starting to boom more, especially in the last 10-20 years. The Northland should be very important to KCMO, as it is its last chance to expand its tax base in terms of land to put new residents, housing, businesses, etc. Yes there are other opportunities in other parts of KCMO but the Northland represents their best shot to duplicate a JOCO type of region. Most in the Northland have been tuned out politics and such unless it's something they are passionate about. I can't recall the data but I believe we did well on Bi-state taxes for Union Station, Stadium funding, and supporting the Zoo. So I think our residents get the "greater good" concept of KCMO. There are nuts in all corners of the Metro who would want to secede from KC, or the state, or whatever. I take it all in passing. But I would encourage leadership to take some time to look into the needs of the Northland, especially as we see increases of homelessness, crime, etc. as the sprawl creates vacuums that are being infilled in some spots by non-productive people. There are other areas that need more help and attention and we should focus on resolving those as we can. But ignoring the early signs of sickness doesn't mean it will go away or heal itself. There are opportunities along with needs and by looking to nurture both can help all of KCMO become better
SWFan
New York Life
New York Life

Post by SWFan »

I got this poll on my cell phone. As has been mentioned all the questions were very misleading. I went ahead and answered every single one with a no I'm not for secession. After the second question it was very clearly not intended to take the pulse of anything, but rather some organization trying to convince KC North citizens to think about secession under dubious claims.

Seemed like a bunch of JoCo people moved to KC North and decided it should be like JoCo where all money should be spent within their district and nothing for the amenities outside JoCo that serve and benefit the entire KC Metro area. For instance, yes for a soccer field for my kids and only my kids, and no to any tax money going to the KC Zoo as an example.
AlkaliAxel
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by AlkaliAxel »

For God's sake, the Northland just got the biggest project in KC history with the airport. They got the soccer fields. They're even now getting the streetcar to be studied to go across into the northland. How the hell are they being "mistreated"?? They're getting plenty right now. Not to mention they ALSO use downtown like everyone else does too. It's asinine that they'd be complaining.
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

AlkaliAxel wrote: Wed Sep 08, 2021 2:36 pm For God's sake, the Northland just got the biggest project in KC history with the airport. They got the soccer fields. They're even now getting the streetcar to be studied to go across into the northland. How the hell are they being "mistreated"?? They're getting plenty right now. Not to mention they ALSO use downtown like everyone else does too. It's asinine that they'd be complaining.
The northland is almost half of the city, about 2.5 council districts worth of people

By your logic is it getting almost half the money in the city budget?

Just one example, there's hundreds of miles of missing sidewalks. t Te city hasn't built them in some places the streets existed before annexation. The Go Bond is replacing existing sidewalks and ignoring building new ones less than a block from a school, in some places directly across the street.
AlkaliAxel
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by AlkaliAxel »

Anthony_Hugo98 wrote: Wed Sep 08, 2021 12:41 am
AlkaliAxel wrote: Tue Sep 07, 2021 11:08 pm At this point, it seems Mayor Lucas is holding most things back more than Northland is.
This right here, he’s had very little of note in his current term, mostly just riding Sky’s coat tails with an apparent shift in development attitude.
I think I know the answer to this, but do you think that if Lucas was the mayor instead of Sly James we would have this new airport?