Home prices across KC neighborhoods

KC topics that don't fit anywhere else.
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Re: Home prices across KC neighborhoods

Post by flyingember »

missingkc wrote: Thu May 13, 2021 5:26 am I suspect that if incomes and wealth were widely increased among folks that currently inhabit low income, amenity and resource deprived neighborhoods like the East Side, they would hightail it out of there on their own volition. Forced displacement wouldn’t be much of an issue.
It’s happening even without income increases. The Star maps in the article above started in 2000 and this is MARC’s maps showing movements for 2000-2010

https://www.marc.org/Data-Economy/Maps- ... nge_4.aspx
The square for black population change is the most telling

I’m hoping they make new maps of the same for 2010-2020. I bet the trend will be seen to continue.
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/1230 ... 7831_zpid/

A home in NKC just hit $235 per square foot.

Our house would have increased in value by 50% since 2017 if it sells at that amount.
Highlander
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by Highlander »

flyingember wrote: Thu Oct 28, 2021 11:57 am https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/1230 ... 7831_zpid/

Our house would have increased in value by 50% since 2017 if it sells at that amount.
Tell me about it. I recently bought into the KC market. I've been searching for 3 years but we finally had to jump in and it was pretty painful dealing with the elevated prices. Certainly elevated compared to the way the market has increased where I live now. Would have been better off buying 2 years ago and owning two homes for a while.

On that note, you would think with the housing market as it is, there would be a lot more tear down/rebuilds in the Waldo and West/North Plaza area. There are very few compared to the Kansas side. With the price per square foot that new inboard homes in KC are getting, I am surprised there is not more rebuilds and renovations in the areas peripheral to Brookside and the Plaza.
TrolliKC
Supporter

Post by TrolliKC »

Highlander wrote: Fri Oct 29, 2021 5:07 pm
flyingember wrote: Thu Oct 28, 2021 11:57 am https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/1230 ... 7831_zpid/

Tell me about it. I recently bought into the KC market. I've been searching for 3 years but we finally had to jump in and it was pretty painful dealing with the elevated prices. Certainly elevated compared to the way the market has increased where I live now. Would have been better off buying 2 years ago and owning two homes for a while.

On that note, you would think with the housing market as it is, there would be a lot more tear down/rebuilds in the Waldo and West/North Plaza area. There are very few compared to the Kansas side. With the price per square foot that new inboard homes in KC are getting, I am surprised there is not more rebuilds and renovations in the areas peripheral to Brookside and the Plaza.
I think the unique style of housing in Brookside and Waldo prevents most of that - but I always thought it was strange. I can only think of one or maybe two houses near me that would be good candidates (Armour Hills)
AlkaliAxel
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by AlkaliAxel »

TrolliKC wrote: Sat Oct 30, 2021 6:26 am
Highlander wrote: Fri Oct 29, 2021 5:07 pm

I think the unique style of housing in Brookside and Waldo prevents most of that - but I always thought it was strange. I can only think of one or maybe two houses near me that would be good candidates (Armour Hills)
In Brookside there have actually been quite a few. On my block there, I think more than half the homes are getting and put onto the market right now. From going on walks around this summer, there were a good amount more in Brookside too getting renovated and sold.
kboish
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by kboish »

West plaza has had a bunch of complete renovation flips recently. There are also a steady trickle of tear downs and rebuilds. There are 3 foundations being poured right now. I know of another vacant lot getting ready reqdy to start soon. And there are at least 2 others with signs advertising new builds. One they already tore down and the other is in front of a bungalow not yet demo’d

Ive been thinking of making a map of all the renovations/new builds in the neighborhood in the past 5-7 years. You would be surprised
Elrod
Parking Garage
Parking Garage

Post by Elrod »

The house that I grew up in (Country Club district, a few blocks north of the John Wornall house) was built in 1915. Three full floors and a basement. My grandparents bought it in 1949, and my mother's generation grew up there also. Interior walls were plaster and lath - no sheetrock. When my grandparents died, the house was sold (around 1990). The developer that bought it did not tear it down, but they had to gut the interior, completely modernize the electrical wiring, etc. They added a new bathroom and laundry on the second floor with a new standpipe and roof vent. They opened up the little rat-maze that was the kitchen/back room/breakfast nook. I believe they moved the stairway from the first floor down to the basement to a different location. They closed off the exterior entrance to the basement-level garage (which was at the end of a narrow curving driveway and did not accommodate modern cars anyway), filled in the driveway, and built a new detached garage above ground. I'm sure they replaced the gravity furnace with a modern heating/AC unit. There was no central air conditioning the whole time we were there. There was a commercial window unit in the living room on its own 240v circuit that had been added later, but that was it for AC.

After the renovation, the house sold for over $500,000.

For a long time, I couldn't figure out why there were two chimneys. There is a fireplace in the living room and another one immediately above it in a bedroom that share a chimney. But there was a second chimney on the other end of the house with no obvious explanation. Eventually, I figured out that the odd bumped-out wall in the kitchen was the original 1915 kitchen fireplace that had been sealed and plastered over; we always had the kitchen table in front of the bump. The second chimney is still there. I don't think the developer opened this up inside during the remodel.
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by beautyfromashes »

Probably the flue for the furnace, not a kitchen fireplace. Those are very rare in Kansas City, especially in an area built up after the turn of the century.
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

The kitchen chimney might have been a gas/wood/coal flue for the cooking stove as well depending on what they used to cook. There were setups where the cooking stove sat in an alcove under the chimney flue.

https://www.pinterest.com/pin/383157880793702627/

https://www.pinterest.com/pin/383157880774933935/

https://www.pinterest.com/pin/383157880773522899/

https://www.pinterest.com/pin/383157880773223207/
Elrod
Parking Garage
Parking Garage

Post by Elrod »

beautyfromashes wrote: Wed Nov 03, 2021 1:52 pm Probably the flue for the furnace, not a kitchen fireplace. Those are very rare in Kansas City, especially in an area built up after the turn of the century.
Good point - had not considered that.

There was a coal chute door in the foundation, but it was permanently sealed shut with concrete.
alejandro46
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by alejandro46 »

$150k 4bd 2 bath
Brand new flip
3301 Cleveland ave - right next to Central High School.
https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/3301 ... e=txtshare
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

alejandro46 wrote: Wed Nov 03, 2021 3:41 pm $150k 4bd 2 bath
Brand new flip
3301 Cleveland ave - right next to Central High School.
https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/3301 ... e=txtshare
I think the size may be wrong. There's no way they're selling for $50/sq ft.

If that's right, it shows just how big the disparity is between a highly diverse east side and a highly diverse NKC.
moderne
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by moderne »

Looks like the floors are those awful vinyl planks they put down in way too many flips.
alejandro46
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by alejandro46 »

I disagree that LVP is "awful," especially if there was carpet or nothing under there. I just put it in our basement and I have so far found it extremely easy to install, affordable, and most imporantly super durable. Plus it looks fine. I should have done LVP or thicker manufacturered hardwood upstairs, which are already all dinged and scratched from pets and wear and tear. The square footage listed, price and pictures don't really add up, I would say more like 1800 sqft than 2800.
Anthony_Hugo98
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by Anthony_Hugo98 »

alejandro46 wrote: Thu Nov 04, 2021 1:36 pm I disagree that LVP is "awful," especially if there was carpet or nothing under there. I just put it in our basement and I have so far found it extremely easy to install, affordable, and most imporantly super durable. Plus it looks fine. I should have done LVP or thicker manufacturered hardwood upstairs, which are already all dinged and scratched from pets and wear and tear. The square footage listed, price and pictures don't really add up, I would say more like 1800 sqft than 2800.
I’ve seen a lot of landlords staring to use LVP because of the durability and longevity it gives. It definitely doesn’t look EXACTLY like high end wood floors, but it passes enough that I don’t understand the hate towards it.
kcjak
Penntower
Penntower

Post by kcjak »

LVP is all over the home remodeling shows and given it's relatively inexpensive I'm sure it'll be the new go-to for house flippers.
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

LVP is a huge benefit comes in the renal market where they aren't going to put wood in.
I checked our cost and our hardwood flooring was $6.40/sq ft installed in 2017

Not having to replace carpet every 3-5 years in a rental has to be a benefit for cost.
moderne
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by moderne »

Its awful when there are hardwood floors underneath that can be restored and refinished. There is a flip across the street from me where they did this and they even painted 125 year old craftsman woodwork and built ins that had never been painted. Too many flipped houses are not remodeled they are remuddled.
chaglang
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by chaglang »

Vinyl is an environmental nightmare from a manufacturing standpoint. There's a little greenwashing being done by manufacturers, but ecovinyl or whatever they call it is basically the same stuff. LVT is more durable than carpet but the low cost, ease of removal/install, and relative inability to repair it means it's designed to be disposable.
bobbyhawks
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by bobbyhawks »

moderne wrote: Fri Nov 05, 2021 10:42 am Its awful when there are hardwood floors underneath that can be restored and refinished. There is a flip across the street from me where they did this and they even painted 125 year old craftsman woodwork and built ins that had never been painted. Too many flipped houses are not remodeled they are remuddled.
This x1000. Watching home flipping shows where they whitewash brick exterior and interior is the most depressing thing ever, but it's obviously quite popular. People keep laying waste to the most unique elements of their homes because of a complete lack of imagination and inability to think outside the HGTV box.