Home prices across KC neighborhoods

KC topics that don't fit anywhere else.
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Re: Home prices across KC neighborhoods

Post by FangKC »

bobbyhawks wrote: Tue Nov 09, 2021 4:56 pm
moderne wrote: Fri Nov 05, 2021 10:42 am Its awful when there are hardwood floors underneath that can be restored and refinished. There is a flip across the street from me where they did this and they even painted 125 year old craftsman woodwork and built ins that had never been painted. Too many flipped houses are not remodeled they are remuddled.
This x1000. Watching home flipping shows where they whitewash brick exterior and interior is the most depressing thing ever, but it's obviously quite popular. People keep laying waste to the most unique elements of their homes because of a complete lack of imagination and inability to think outside the HGTV box.
Yes, I feel the same way. It's also upsetting when they take sledgehammers to perfectly good cabinets that were installed by the previous tenant that might not even be five years old just because it's not their taste. Carefully remove them. Reuse them in the garage or basement, or take them to Habitat Restore

It's only my opinion, but I think there Is simply too much of this "not my taste" business. Sometimes the cabinets being installed are not that different than the ones removed. It's also not that hard to resurface existing floors, and should be done a lot more than laying something over the top that will deteriorate in a few years anyway.

Then they sell the house in five years, and repeat. The new owners undo whatever the last owners did. Remove all the white paint from the original woodwork, and question why anyone would have done that. Rip up the "durable" flooring and restore the original. Wash and repeat.

All this stuff ends up in landfill. Forty percent of landfill is various forms of building rubble -- much of which has toxic elements in it.

I've noticed on Million Dollar List Los Angeles that a lot of flippers buy out-dated houses and renovate them to sell only the have the new homeowner state they will be ripping out all the finishes and cabinets the renovator just put into the house months ago.
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Re: Home prices across KC neighborhoods

Post by flyingember »

The trend of buying to tear out seems more likely to happen when a house is under priced or if the home is older.

My mother's home is from the 1940s and we could see a lot of those same things.

I think it's this idea is with older or cheaper anything new is better than doing nothing.

The major problem with flooring is timing. To redo hardwoods you basically need to stay out of the house to let the stain and clear coat to both dry. For a flip trying to move super fast they just aren't going to take the time.