2023 KCMO Election

KC topics that don't fit anywhere else.
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Re: 2023 KCMO Election

Post by normalthings »

Justin Short just announced running to replace Shields. 8 registered for city council.
alejandro46
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by alejandro46 »

In my opinion, and feel free to disagree, there is a distinction between creating "affordable" housing for low income workers versus dealing with transient/homeless individuals who may not necessarially want to seek help and in fact may like being homeless or camping in public areas. Both are very complex problems and require different and localized strategies.

The transients get the most attention and probably need the most resources, helping very low income renters is a much larger and more complex problem where there isn't one good solution. It may start with a subsidized Section 8 housing, but in order to get these people up on their feet the solution has to be better educuation, public transit and public safety. 3 things our city is not doing the best at.
TheLastGentleman
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by TheLastGentleman »

alejandro46 wrote: Sun Oct 17, 2021 10:07 pm In my opinion, and feel free to disagree, there is a distinction between creating "affordable" housing for low income workers versus dealing with transient/homeless individuals who may not necessarially want to seek help and in fact may like being homeless or camping in public areas. Both are very complex problems and require different and localized strategies.
I’d like to see a study of what % of the homeless love being homeless
alejandro46
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by alejandro46 »

TheLastGentleman wrote: Sun Oct 17, 2021 10:59 pm
alejandro46 wrote: Sun Oct 17, 2021 10:07 pm In my opinion, and feel free to disagree, there is a distinction between creating "affordable" housing for low income workers versus dealing with transient/homeless individuals who may not necessarially want to seek help and in fact may like being homeless or camping in public areas. Both are very complex problems and require different and localized strategies.
I’d like to see a study of what % of the homeless love being homeless
Often shelters have various restrictions. Shelters have structure and rules: curfews, schedules, no outside food, no alcohol, limited smoking breaks, and limits on visitors.

Often people who are homeless have mental challenges and they can't clearly reason or their reasoning is clouded by addicition. I probably didn't phrase that well, more that people like not living in an institutional setting where others tell them what to do. Also, I know some of the shelters in KC are only certain genders, only are open certain days, may fill up quickly or difficult to access. I don't pretend to be an expert on homelessness nor say that people "love" being homeless, they like not living in a shelter and having others restrict their activities.

https://www.brc.org/why-would-homeless- ... go-shelter
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

Wasn't this an issue that was brought up this past winter. Many that ended up getting housed in a hotel did not meet or did not want to meet the requirements of existing infrastructure(shelters,etc).
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

normalthings wrote: Sun Oct 17, 2021 11:15 am Justin Short just announced running to replace Shields. 8 registered campaigns for city council so far.
Shields has turned into one of my favorite CM's. Really the main leader in getting stuff done for downtown right now. Her potential replacement is of greatest interest to me at this point. Bunch backs some of the right stuff but is overly idealistic at times delaying or killing projects/initiatives, not supportive of the incentives/investments needed to continue growth. I'm less interested in the other seats but can do some research/posting if others are interested.

Did not know about JS before. Posts and retweets in support of transit, NBA, highway cap, more tower cranes downtown, etc. He is backed by Kay Barnes. Downtown resident with experience working for downtown businesses. I have yet to find anything related to specific policy. My initial reaction is supportive but could turn into Bunch 2.0.

https://www.justinshortforkc.com
I am also a development champion. At the risk of sounding disingenuous, I quite literally get emotional seeing tower cranes in the city. Why? Because tower cranes mean city development, city development means economic growth, economic growth means being able to support our great city and the incredible people who live in it. And THAT at my core is what I am most passionate about: taking care of my community. It is the reason why I am running, and the reason why my platform centers around Community Development, Transportation, and Equity.
I can get behind someone that also goes boing for development......
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

s

The transients get the most attention and probably need the most resources, helping very low income renters is a much larger and more complex problem where there isn't one good solution. It may start with a subsidized Section 8 housing, but in order to get these people up on their feet the solution has to be better educuation, public transit and public safety. 3 things our city is not doing the best at.
The other thing is people just assume that when people are priced out of their apartment that they can just get a Section 8 voucher. Yes, they can apply. However, they might be put on waiting list and wait years before getting approved for the voucher. Once approved, then there's the challenge of finding a house or apartment that accepts vouchers that suits their needs. Then there is the other issue of contracts. Apartment owners may at the end of their current contract with the Housing Authority decide to drop out of the program. Many of the newer apartments that have affordable housing as a percentage of their apartments will drop out of the program at soon as their contract is up so that they can rent to market-rate without having to deal with HUD paperwork and rules. This might mean that low-income residents have to regularly move -- incurring expenses they can't afford.

In Missouri:
The waiting time for Housing Choice Voucher (Section 8) program averages 1-3 years.
http://www.hakc.org/affordable_housing ... ction.aspx
Among the 50 largest housing agencies, only two have average wait times of under a year for families that have made it off of the waiting list; the longest have average wait times of up to eight years. On average nationally, families that received vouchers had spent close to two and a half years on waitlists first, exposing many to homelessness, overcrowding, eviction, and other hardship while they wait.
In 2019, for example, 2 million households used vouchers to rent housing but more than 16 million unassisted renter households paid more than 30 percent of their income for housing or lived in substandard or overcrowded homes. (The federal government considers housing unaffordable if it exceeds 30 percent of income.) Households on agency waiting lists typically continue to experience homelessness, overcrowding, or other housing insecurity for years before receiving a voucher. And many other households needing vouchers either don’t get on a waitlist — 53 percent of agencies had closed their waiting lists to additional applicants, a 2016 survey found — or drop off without ever obtaining assistance, even after waiting years.
https://www.cbpp.org/research/housing/f ... te-funding
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

getting a team
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

Robinson wants 3ts district bike lanes removed and no more built.
Anthony_Hugo98
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by Anthony_Hugo98 »

Goonies wrote: Sat Oct 23, 2021 9:22 am
normalthings wrote: Fri Oct 22, 2021 1:11 pm Robinson wants 3ts district bike lanes removed and no more built.
Shes got my vote
/s right?
swid
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by swid »

Based on every other post…no.

“Hurp derp”, just like all the others.
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

normalthings wrote: Fri Oct 22, 2021 1:11 pm Robinson wants 3ts district bike lanes removed and no more built.
Busses having bike racks must be lost on her.
swid
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by swid »

I mock people who don't explain their reasoning. It's perfectly OK to be against everything, but hopefully there's some thought and/or evidence behind it that's deeper than "things aren't the way they used to be, and that makes me uncomfortable".
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

swid wrote: Mon Oct 25, 2021 9:20 am I mock people who don't explain their reasoning. It's perfectly OK to be against everything, but hopefully there's some thought and/or evidence behind it that's deeper than "things aren't the way they used to be, and that makes me uncomfortable".
https://www.jasonfeifer.com/build-for-tomorrow/

There's an episode on bikes that connects well to this idea

"Bicycles Were a Misogynist's Nightmare"
swid
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by swid »

Then come out and say what changes you're looking for - it can't be that hard to express them, right?
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

Goonies wrote: Mon Oct 25, 2021 2:48 pm
swid wrote: Mon Oct 25, 2021 2:46 pm Then come out and say what changes you're looking for - it can't be that hard to express them, right?
I've talked about it several times try and keep up. You must be one of Bunchs boys.
There's tens of thousands of posts. Remind people.
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

Goonies wrote: Mon Oct 25, 2021 11:06 pm
flyingember wrote: Mon Oct 25, 2021 3:25 pm
Goonies wrote: Mon Oct 25, 2021 2:48 pm

I've talked about it several times try and keep up. You must be one of Bunchs boys.
There's tens of thousands of posts. Remind people.
One thing the mayor made a point of doing was improving our roads they were in bad shape theres still work to do in that regard. I'd rather see money spent on social programs that address the house less situation and crime. I also find the bike lanes on Armor for example to be a huge pain in the ass. To say I want "things to be how they used to be" is certainly taking what I've said out of context. I believe the development in KC is at a point or very close to self sustaining and the city government should turn their focus on the issues mentioned.
Bike lanes are a huge part of getting people into homes they can afford. The average cost of a sedan annually is $8600. (car loan for new vs higher repair costs when older) At average rental rates that's 7 months of rent. Bike lanes enable people to live in their community more affordably for far less than any other option we have.

Free bus is another piece of the puzzle. If you have one car and two riding the bus today cutting those two costs (compared to 2019) is 11 months worth of rent available, on average.

And riding your bike to the bus is super common, seeing as there's bike racks on the bus.

Development is possibly decades away from being self-sustaining. You'll know it's self-sustaining when homes on the east side sell within 5% of the same price per square foot as a home in the northland, johnson county and lee's summit/blue springs
Anthony_Hugo98
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by Anthony_Hugo98 »

Goonies wrote: Tue Oct 26, 2021 9:27 pm Mark Alford is making an announcement that hes running for political office tomorrow lol. It's not for mayor is it? I saw his video teasing of the announcement it was cringe. I actually like Mark aside from politics thought he was always a good guy.
One of the better news anchors for morning shows for sure! I enjoyed Fox4 in the morning over everyone else when he was on
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by beautyfromashes »

Goonies wrote: Tue Oct 26, 2021 9:27 pm Mark Alford is making an announcement that hes running for political office tomorrow lol. It's not for mayor is it? I saw his video teasing of the announcement it was cringe. I actually like Mark aside from politics thought he was always a good guy.
Running for House 4th district currently held by Nicky Hartzler who is running for Senate seat.
AlkaliAxel
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by AlkaliAxel »

I just have to say, the amount of STL praise Mayor Q does on social media is really annoying. He's always heaping praise on the STL mayor, promoting the Blues hockey team...and dressed up as a Blues hockey player for Halloween tonight and then posted it on twitter. I mean come on, really? The mayor KC is dressed up as a STL athlete? Sheesh.

The only explanation is that he's paving some sort of run for statewide office in Missouri and he's trying to coalesce the whole state on his side. But it's really annoying how much our mayor promotes our biggest rival cities sports & endeavors.