KC topics that don't fit anywhere else.
Riverite
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Closing streets for restaurants.

Post by Riverite »

Saw this posted on reddit.

https://www.kansascitymag.com/westport- ... sure-plan/

How likely is this, it seems like a good way to make sure local businesses can survive. Would be amazing if some streets stay that way after and remain pedestrianized. Also since the restaurants can do takeaway booze and open container has been lifted, how likely is that to stick around.

Not allowing people to drink in public seems silly, and I doubt it would have much negative impact,
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Re: Closing streets for restaurants.

Post by earthling »

I like the idea for Westport but hopefully it doesn't attract corporate chains. The Plaza could do the same along Nichols Rd. It should be a pedestrian street COVID or not. And time to establish a ped only street for downtown too, maybe even one per district.
Riverite
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by Riverite »

earthling wrote: Mon May 04, 2020 4:38 pm I like the idea for Westport but hopefully it doesn't attract corporate chains. The Plaza could do the same along Nichols Rd. It should be a pedestrian street COVID or not. And time to establish a ped only street for downtown too, maybe even one per district.
That’s what I’m hoping, I think even Delaware could be a good street for it too, but not on the team line obviously. Just no cars and tables on the sidewalk
smh
Supporter

Post by smh »

Downtown: 14th Street in P&L; 9th Street from Baltimore to Wyandotte

River Market: Delaware, City Market Parking Lot/Refreshed Walnut

Crossroads: Whatever Dave suggests. Haha.

The only issue I see with this in places outside Westport is that by selecting certain blocks we're really "picking winners and losers" as the phrase goes. Opening up 14th doesn't help the restaurant at 11th. Which isn't necessarily an argument against pursuing this path. Perhaps just an argument that we need to do more numerous block closures.

Also in Westport I think it is important that the City ensure this is actually for dining/sitting and not just a way for Bill Nigro to get his party district going. Because I think we can all agree Bill Nigro and to a lesser extent Westport Business League don't care a great deal about social distancing they just want all the party dollar they can get. Or at least historically that has been the case.
Riverite
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by Riverite »

I think those are all good ideas, I was thinking 18th for crossroads, you would have to mitigate it somehow to make sure other businesses could take advantage. Perhaps they could reserve a certain amount of space for each business. Even if it is a bit of a pain it will give them more space to work with. Or have some tables put out from the city where anyone can use them
Riverite
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by Riverite »

If they want to get really crazy with it, they could turn streets into one lane only for east and west streets and let people put tables in the other lane, or give more space for walkers and bikers. Could be done, would be quite extreme and some would be unhappy, but would probably be fairer. And not to much of a hassle in reality as long as every other lane is shut down for each street
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

We could also just take over some street parking versus closing entire streets. That might make it more "fair" for other places where a whole street might not be feasible.
dukuboy1
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by dukuboy1 »

I would love for them to adopt this for Westport forever. Close Penn on the South side just before the parking are by Californos. West side just before the entrance to parking lot by Pickleman's. North end of Penn right at entrance to parking garage by Char Bar. East side limit access to Penn from Broadway. Create grand archway entrances that say welcome to Westport something like that but make it an all walking area. Basically do what they do with the security checkpoints in the summer. I'm not sure the impact on deliveries and such but I would think it is feasible. You lose some street parking but not a lot and you would not miss it. If need be look to use space to create a new garage East of Broadway toward Main. With Street car coming it could be a nice spot for people to park and then ride the street car, like a lot of people do in River Market on the weekends. Make Wesport a real entertainment. retail district with no traffic going through the heart. Could solve for a lot of issues.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

It also introduces a lot of issues we brought up when they decided to close streets for weekends and frisk including interrupting bus service and turning Westport into a mega block without good traffic flow around it which is best described here: http://urbanangle.net/great-westport-gi ... -property/
ToDactivist
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by ToDactivist »

KCPowercat wrote: Tue May 05, 2020 12:00 pm We could also just take over some street parking versus closing entire streets. That might make it more "fair" for other places where a whole street might not be feasible.
and for that - and everything - there is a permit, review, process, Q&A, more process, maybe an additional permit. You'd think some walls can be torn down to just make things happen without petty fiefdoms. been working on closing Delaware now for 2 weeks. still no love. then permit to do "street cafe" which is taking away parking per your idea gets posted monday I think. then more process. by the time everything may be approved the virus will have mutated and gone away.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

ToDactivist wrote: Fri May 08, 2020 12:59 pm
KCPowercat wrote: Tue May 05, 2020 12:00 pm We could also just take over some street parking versus closing entire streets. That might make it more "fair" for other places where a whole street might not be feasible.
and for that - and everything - there is a permit, review, process, Q&A, more process, maybe an additional permit. You'd think some walls can be torn down to just make things happen without petty fiefdoms. been working on closing Delaware now for 2 weeks. still no love. then permit to do "street cafe" which is taking away parking per your idea gets posted monday I think. then more process. by the time everything may be approved the virus will have mutated and gone away.
Bough/Bunch were on twitter saying they were trying to fast track this process.
TheLastGentleman
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by TheLastGentleman »

Anyone know if this is still happening?

Eon Blue
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by Eon Blue »

Nothing has happened on Walnut downtown yet.
smh
Supporter

Post by smh »

KCMO is doing no additional closures from my understanding but neighborhoods can apply to do their own.
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

smh wrote: Tue May 05, 2020 11:23 am Crossroads: Whatever Dave suggests. Haha.
1800 block of McGee, 1500 block of Walnut, 1900 block of Baltimore, 2100 block of Central, 18th (between Baltimore and Central and between Oak and Cherry). Seems like most of these have parking facilities with multiple entry points, plus a smattering of restaurants/bars/retail.
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

Eon Blue wrote: Sat May 09, 2020 4:20 pm Nothing has happened on Walnut downtown yet.
Blame commercial tenants who complained about parking, so PW gave up quite early.
Eon Blue
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by Eon Blue »

It’s nice to see some things haven’t changed in these times.
Riverite
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by Riverite »

Any movement on this in any area?
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

Committee was addressing/approving today
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

KCPowercat wrote: Wed May 20, 2020 3:43 pm Committee was addressing/approving today
Full council approved.