KC topics that don't fit anywhere else.
davidc
Pad site
Pad site

Re: KC's Big 5 needs for 2020s

Post by davidc »

flyingember wrote:
Thu Jan 23, 2020 9:27 am
Why do you think someone will suddenly need a fare when leaving KCMO? No one has announced this. All we have so far is a passed resolution to figure out how to fund free bus service. That's it.

The Austin trial lasted ~3 months. It apparently increased ridership by 75% (nearly a doubling) but increased bad riders. It's something to learn from for sure but notice how the streetcar has remained free for almost four years without major incidents. Did you ever consider that we have learned from the very lessons you mention?
I had to look it up to verify, the Austin test lasted over a year, from October 1989 to December 1990.

I hope the KC experiment goes better - but it seems odd not to be looking at others that have tried it in the past.

And comparisons to the streetcar are a bit silly, it has an extremely limited route.

Regarding buses leaving KCMO, that has been asked and answered by city officials. The free fare is ONLY for KCMO routes - will not include Johnson or Wyandotte Counties or other cities in MO (unless those jurisdictions want to pay the bill, and none have indicated they will even consider it).

earthling
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by earthling »

Do you know KCATA hasn't looked at other past attempts? Looking at cities that have tried in the past, a major reason they didn't continue was apparently due to vandalism in several cases. But these were a long time ago before live video streams were commonplace on buses. KC buses have video monitoring today and KC doesn't have a widespread vandalism problem that other cities have had. Though not sure if all KC buses have video. They should put 'Smile You're on Camera' stickers throughout the buses even if some don't have them. Could reduce issues.

It's worth trying for a couple years. If it doesn't work out, then simply end it.

flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

davidc wrote:
Fri Jan 24, 2020 8:26 am
Regarding buses leaving KCMO, that has been asked and answered by city officials. The free fare is ONLY for KCMO routes - will not include Johnson or Wyandotte Counties or other cities in MO (unless those jurisdictions want to pay the bill, and none have indicated they will even consider it).
What's your source? Something in writing.

FangKC
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by FangKC »

I would also add why should KCMO subsidize non-resident bus travel to/from Johnson and Wyandotte counties without financial contributions from them? Granted, it would likely benefit KCMO residents who work in those counties; but it would again be another example of suburbs who benefit from KCMO assets and don't contribute to them. If those jurisdictions contribute, then fine, extend the free fare to them. I don't know how it works now that KCATA has taken over operating the former Jo routes, and the funding mechanism there.

davidc
Pad site
Pad site

Post by davidc »

I'll admit I'm having a hard time finding a source that is not behind a pay-wall on the outside of the city bus stuff. But even in the ordinance itself it explicitly says "...to make fixed route public transportation fare free within the City."

I know it was discussed at least on Ruckus and on KC Week in Review. Also in numerous news reports about the proposal. (a good way to find is to search Johnson County and free fare, for example)