Next Mayor 2019

KC topics that don't fit anywhere else.
smh
Supporter

Re: Next Mayor 2019

Post by smh »

How's that CM search going? No doubt CV has monopolized attention, but a search committee should still be moving forward, no?
kboish
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by kboish »

kboish wrote: Tue Apr 21, 2020 10:37 am Not sure where to put this, but The Public Works director is retiring effective May 1. Ralph Davis is appointed as Acting Director.

The city currently has an Acting City Manager, Acting HR, Acting PW, Acting General Services, and Acting EDC President. Not a lot of leadership right now.
and an Acting City Attorney.
chaglang
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by chaglang »

^ we've had an acting Public Works Director for years.
smh
Supporter

Post by smh »

chaglang wrote: Tue Apr 21, 2020 3:28 pm ^ we've had an acting Public Works Director for years.
ba dum ching!
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

kboish wrote: Tue Apr 21, 2020 10:37 am Not sure where to put this, but The Public Works director is retiring effective May 1. Ralph Davis is appointed as Acting Director.

The city currently has an Acting City Manager, Acting HR, Acting PW, Acting General Services, and Acting EDC President. Not a lot of leadership right now.
We need to get a new City Manager pronto. The City is going to face a lot of financial problems, and thus issues with service delivery in all areas because of budget constraints.
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

New CPC members announced, I’m not sure what to think but the mayors comments about not approving projects that further the city’s goals doesn’t encourage me.
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

normalthings wrote: Tue May 12, 2020 3:50 pm New CPC members announced, I’m not sure what to think but the mayors comments about not approving projects that further the city’s goals doesn’t encourage me.
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

DaveKCMO wrote: Tue May 12, 2020 4:00 pm
normalthings wrote: Tue May 12, 2020 3:50 pm New CPC members announced, I’m not sure what to think but the mayors comments about not approving projects that further the city’s goals doesn’t encourage me.
What are your thoughts?
horizons82
New York Life
New York Life

Post by horizons82 »

Sorta perplexed what the hell a current USC grad student is doing on KC planning commission. The last two names also seem unconventional.
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by beautyfromashes »

It’s a 4-4 split, half people that know what the hell theyre talking about and half hacks. They’ll both pull in opposite directions and nothing will get done.
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

horizons82 wrote: Tue May 12, 2020 5:49 pm Sorta perplexed what the hell a current USC grad student is doing on KC planning commission. The last two names also seem unconventional.
Coby Crowl - Only reappointed member.

Forestine Beasley - Frmr. PIAC rep and current commercial broker. Frmr President of Broadway-Westport Council (that's NIMBY right?) and member of Maincor & Broadway CID,

Cokethea Hill - Frmr 5th district council person (Voted yes on convention center hotel and other downtown projects) and frmr. KCPS Board Member. Also worked on MARC Green Impact Zone. I think she is big into to education and pro-train? Voted yes on convention center hotel

Bruce Allender - Water infrastructure and P3 experience?

Ashley Sadowski worked at Odimo and DRAW before heading to USC (I assume online program?). Experience includes 6 KCMO neighborhood plans, Ghilliam Row, Summit & Apex in Quality Hill, and Hospital Hill student housing. She could actually be a good add.

James Baker - 99% sure he does marketing and write up for BNIM. Doesn't seem to have much applicable experience

Tyler Enders appears to have no applicable experience (I could be wrong). However, maybe he can provide a view point on how developments can build for small/local businesses? He seem's like a pro downtown/KC guy so that's good.

Paul Rojas on the other hand appears to be all about preserving "historic character" and fighting "gentrification" aka any redevelopment. Quick Google search looks like he has been fighting the new developments in west side. However, it does seem like he has dedicated his life to supporting and building his urban community.
horizons82
New York Life
New York Life

Post by horizons82 »

Thanks for the clarification normalthings. Seems odd to only list her as a grad student if she has (substantial) real world experience.
dukuboy1
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by dukuboy1 »

horizons82 wrote: Wed May 13, 2020 7:13 am Thanks for the clarification normalthings. Seems odd to only list her as a grad student if she has (substantial) real world experience.
I think they are wanting to emphasize that she is getting a Masters in URBAN DEVELOPMENT. USC is a good school and maybe one of the better programs in the country? Not sure on that But with USC being in LA I'm sure they are wanting people to draw those parallels as well.

I think it was a quick way in a press release to say we have someone with knowledge as it relates to Urban Planning, so some people don't get into a tizzy their voices will not be heard
Steve52
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by Steve52 »

horizons82 wrote: Wed May 13, 2020 7:13 am Thanks for the clarification normalthings. Seems odd to only list her as a grad student if she has (substantial) real world experience.
She's obviously inexperienced, generic, and typical. Likely won't contribute much dynamic and original thinking to the mix.
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by beautyfromashes »

What does ‘Associate’ mean at an architecture firm? An associate at a law firm is a lot different than an associate in other businesses. When I worked at the Gap in 1990, we were called associates. Just sayin.
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

dukuboy1 wrote: Thu May 14, 2020 11:22 am
I think they are wanting to emphasize that she is getting a Masters in URBAN DEVELOPMENT. USC is a good school and maybe one of the better programs in the country? Not sure on that But with USC being in LA I'm sure they are wanting people to draw those parallels as well.

I think it was a quick way in a press release to say we have someone with knowledge as it relates to Urban Planning, so some people don't get into a tizzy their voices will not be heard
I know Ashley. She's a perfect candidate for CPC.
dukuboy1
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by dukuboy1 »

Good deal, glad she is on board.
smh
Supporter

Post by smh »

Also worth mentioning USC is a top 5 graduate urban planning program, so good for her on that. It's a great place.
horizons82
New York Life
New York Life

Post by horizons82 »

Steve52 wrote: Thu May 14, 2020 12:57 pm
She's obviously inexperienced, generic, and typical. Likely won't contribute much dynamic and original thinking to the mix.
What a weird ass thing to say.
smh
Supporter

Post by smh »

horizons82 wrote: Thu May 14, 2020 6:33 pm
Steve52 wrote: Thu May 14, 2020 12:57 pm
What a weird ass thing to say.
Consider the source!