Next Mayor 2019

KC topics that don't fit anywhere else.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Re: Next Mayor 2019

Post by KCPowercat »

This James guy seems kind of anti but seems he is known by a few on here?
Steve52
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by Steve52 »

smh wrote: Fri May 15, 2020 12:40 pm
horizons82 wrote: Thu May 14, 2020 6:33 pm
Steve52 wrote: Thu May 14, 2020 12:57 pm

She's obviously inexperienced, generic, and typical. Likely won't contribute much dynamic and original thinking to the mix.
What a weird ass thing to say.
Consider the source!
Okay maybe I am being a little harsh. I didn't say she isn't competent in her particular areas of discipline.
bspecht
New York Life
New York Life

Post by bspecht »

KCPowercat wrote: Sat May 16, 2020 1:45 pm This James guy seems kind of anti but seems he is known by a few on here?
Active on Twitter, pretty anti when incentives.
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

bspecht wrote: Sun May 17, 2020 2:51 pm
KCPowercat wrote: Sat May 16, 2020 1:45 pm This James guy seems kind of anti but seems he is known by a few on here?
Active on Twitter, pretty anti when incentives.
It doesn’t seem like he has much actual experience.
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

City Manager short list is out. Our choices are Assit. CM Phoenix, Deputy CM Long Beach, CM New Jersey City, and a consultant from Augusta GA.
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

normalthings wrote: Tue Aug 18, 2020 1:58 pm City Manager short list is out. Our choices are Assit. CM Phoenix, Deputy CM Long Beach, CM New Jersey City, and a consultant from Augusta GA.
https://www.kctv5.com/news/local_news/k ... user-share
Chris Stritzel
Penntower
Penntower

Post by Chris Stritzel »

normalthings wrote: Tue Aug 18, 2020 1:58 pm City Manager short list is out. Our choices are Assit. CM Phoenix, Deputy CM Long Beach, CM New Jersey City, and a consultant from Augusta GA.
I’m new to this...

So why can’t there be a City Manager from the City of KCMO itself? Why is Mayor Lucas considering people from those cities? It just doesn’t make sense to me
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

Either...

a) No one from KCMO was qualified
b) No one from KCMO applied
c) No one from KCMO was short-listed
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

And let's say someone was qualified who applies. There's reasons to not pick them over someone from outside.

1. without having a history with the local businesses there's no one they owe favors to. Look at how with the airport it felt some council members wanted to choose the company they got money from.

2. they don't know the people under them. Too often when you promote someone their buddies all get promoted too regardless of qualification. This helps counter that because no one is their buddy, with fresh eyes they can find the good workers. They have to hire people into a lot of positions as this thread shows, so fresh eyes to find who's actually qualified will have a huge impact on the city for years.

3. Let's say your goal is to do X. You bring in someone to manage a group who has background implementing whatever X is.
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

I should add that I know there was at least one internal candidate in running, but clearly they didn't make the short list.
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

Recall petition for Lucas is out. 10,000 signatures are required at which point he has five days to step down. The group has 9,000+ followers already and an established schedule of where they will be.

https://fox4kc.com/news/petitioners-fil ... om-office/
Last edited by normalthings on Tue Aug 25, 2020 4:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Chris Stritzel
Penntower
Penntower

Post by Chris Stritzel »

It's goofy that they're going after him over mask mandates and what not but whatever I guess. Here is the link to the Facebook Group: https://www.facebook.com/groups/305983127343958

And the signing petition locations...
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

Chris Stritzel wrote: Tue Aug 25, 2020 1:40 am It's goofy that they're going after him over mask mandates and what not but whatever I guess. Here is the link to the Facebook Group: https://www.facebook.com/groups/305983127343958

And the signing petition locations...
I have no idea how these people gained 10,000 seemingly legitimate followers in one weekend. Their platform is far-right and I doubt they actually pull this off. Otherwise, I think you could run a pretty solid centrist campaign against him. Both sides have a plethora of reasons to support a recall. Something not mentioned by the group is the negative impacts of a shakeup during a crisis period.
Chris Stritzel
Penntower
Penntower

Post by Chris Stritzel »

normalthings wrote: Tue Aug 25, 2020 2:05 am
I have no idea how these people gained 10,000 seemingly legitimate followers in one weekend. Their platform is far-right and I doubt they actually pull this off. Otherwise, I think you could run a pretty solid centrist campaign against him. Both sides have a plethora of reasons to support a recall. Something not mentioned by the group is the negative impacts of a shakeup during a crisis period.
I actually find the posts in the group funny to read. Free entertainment to me and I get a good laugh out of some things posted there. I joined the group just for that reason.

But yes, the far-right stuff turns a lot of people who would otherwise be in support of a recall/resignation petition. There are other issues they could've chosen to spotlight for reason to support removal than a mask mandate and what not. And I doubt the group members are legit. It's probably most made up of people from outside the City limits who do not qualify to sign the petition.
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

Chris Stritzel wrote: Tue Aug 25, 2020 2:13 am
normalthings wrote: Tue Aug 25, 2020 2:05 am
I actually find the posts in the group funny to read. Free entertainment to me and I get a good laugh out of some things posted there. I joined the group just for that reason.

But yes, the far-right stuff turns a lot of people who would otherwise be in support of a recall/resignation petition. There are other issues they could've chosen to spotlight for reason to support removal than a mask mandate and what not. And I doubt the group members are legit. It's probably most made up of people from outside the City limits who do not qualify to sign the petition.
Good point in regards to city limits. I was thinking in terms of bot accounts.
Chris Stritzel
Penntower
Penntower

Post by Chris Stritzel »

^ That too.
WoodDraw
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by WoodDraw »

Wow, that Facebook page is something else.
longviewmo
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by longviewmo »

This could backfire on them too... it’s not like they get to handpick someone to replace Lucas.
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

Facebook counts are never a reliable predictor of anything. For all we know, that's 1,000 Kansas Citians and the rest are QAnon or Russian bots.
mean
Administrator
Administrator

Post by mean »

Even that is pretty optimistic. It's probably more like a couple dozen actual people.