Next Mayor 2019

KC topics that don't fit anywhere else.
snigglefritz
Strip mall
Strip mall

Re: Next Mayor 2019

Post by snigglefritz »

Regarding the proposed cap on incentives, are there any other comparably-situated metros that have a 50% cap in place? Also, are there actually any data that support a move from 75% to 50%, or otherwise hint that the current cap is not sufficient?
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

snigglefritz wrote: Tue Feb 19, 2019 10:08 am Regarding the proposed cap on incentives, are there any other comparably-situated metros that have a 50% cap in place? Also, are there actually any data that support a move from 75% to 50%, or otherwise hint that the current cap is not sufficient?
The proposal to cap incentives at 50% is not based on data, and the petitioners are not interested in data that would counter their narrative.
snigglefritz
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by snigglefritz »

That's kind of what I figured. Assuming the proposal passes, how much does a 50% cap handicap us as compared to other cities?
johnmatrix
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by johnmatrix »

I'm voting for Miller. Justice seems unwilling to learn from the mistakes of this admin, Lucas isn't qualified, everyone else is pretty much a mediocre council person.
tower
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by tower »

Voting for an unknown just because the other options aren't perfect isn't usually the best strategy.
smh
Supporter

Post by smh »

tower wrote: Tue Feb 19, 2019 4:29 pm Voting for an unknown just because the other options aren't perfect isn't usually the best strategy.
See: White House occupant
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

After crime and schools, keeping up infrastructure should be a focus. Especially after this harsh winter. Was driving through JoCo the other day on those nicely plowed streets with no potholes. Enter KCMO and there's a pothole every hundred yards or so - or having to dodge something. We need a pro-development mayor but spending for development shouldn't be a higher priority than basic services and infrastructure. At least mayor candidates should not campaign on development over infrastructure/crime/schools.
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

earthling wrote: Tue Feb 19, 2019 5:16 pm After crime and schools, keeping up infrastructure should be a focus. Especially after this harsh winter. Was driving through JoCo the other day on those nicely plowed streets with no potholes. Enter KCMO and there's a pothole every hundred yards or so - or having to dodge something.
It's a symptom of the too many roads problem everyone is aware of.

We need a mayor and council that is willing to review everything we do. Can't all do it at once, but starting the process has value.

After all, when the city still allows someone to get a permit for a hand pushed candy wagon for $18.75 annually (40-85) or insurance for an oil well in the amount of no more than $5000 (32-55) it's clear there's a regular review of everything we do.
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

johnmatrix wrote: Tue Feb 19, 2019 4:24 pm I'm voting for Miller. Justice seems unwilling to learn from the mistakes of this admin, Lucas isn't qualified, everyone else is pretty much a mediocre council person.
Other than the obvious suspicion that you might be a Russian bot, what about Miller's record entices you so much? MoDOT road/bridge orgy? White Catholic Brookside credentials? Did I miss an amazing forum performance where he really socked it to those currently serving on the Council?

#ForumToughTalk
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by beautyfromashes »

^ “White Catholic Brookside credentials”. What does that even mean? I guess there are people who choose a candidate for race or gender or religion or some other life marker. It just seems offensive to suggest that someone doesn’t have a valid reason for a choice and is being racist or sexist or religiously biased for making that choice.
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

"I'm voting for Miller" with zero context left an opening for #ForumToughTalk.
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

Miller is using Axiom strategies - the same consultant behind Sam Graves, iirc Kevin Yoder, Ted Cruz for President, etc. They are a very experienced (but expensive) group. If he can bring in money , which he has, then they can push him into the top 2/3.

https://axiomstrategies.com/about/
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

Mayoral candidates need to be listening. They need to put personal and previous agendas, talking points, aside and really listen to residents from all neighborhoods. The one who does, and reflects that to voters, will probably be the next mayor,

I am supportive of downtown development and overall economic and civic progress. I think my years of posting proves that. However, I have been observing what my neighborhood residents are talking about, bitching about, etc. I don't agree with some of it, but I recognize that there is a groundswell of anger that may manifest itself in this next election. A lot of it is legitimate, and it's just not this neighborhood.

It's not all about TIF downtown either. It's a lot of things like dumping, vacant houses, codes, crime, constant gunfire at night, lack of snow removal for days, trash service, water bills, etc. The consensus revolves around city leaders' history of ignoring complaints, input, etc. Showing up.

When Councilman Lucas was offered two dates for a solo appearance at a neighborhood public forum, he didn't respond in time to attend. The scheduled dates had to be cancelled. He never offered to reschedule. It's things like this that have enraged members of the neighborhood that were reaching out to him. Yet residents are getting a group email from him asking to donate to his campaign.

I mentioned the other day I know which council members always answer me themselves, and the ones that never respond. Well, a lot of other residents have noticed the same, and are complaining about it. They are posting names, lists.

People that have never been actively involved are now registering voters.

I don't know how this plays out.
johnmatrix
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by johnmatrix »

DaveKCMO wrote: Tue Feb 19, 2019 8:56 pm
johnmatrix wrote: Tue Feb 19, 2019 4:24 pm I'm voting for Miller. Justice seems unwilling to learn from the mistakes of this admin, Lucas isn't qualified, everyone else is pretty much a mediocre council person.
Other than the obvious suspicion that you might be a Russian bot, what about Miller's record entices you so much? MoDOT road/bridge orgy? White Catholic Brookside credentials? Did I miss an amazing forum performance where he really socked it to those currently serving on the Council?

#ForumToughTalk
Russian Bot? Jesus new mccarythism is a real thing.

I laid it out pretty clear. The current city council is a crop of failures, Miller would provide new leadership and a connection with Kaine could be huge for getting funding for the city. His answer to crime is something different than the current *shrug* by the other elected officials.
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

Miller has made no real stands on most issues. Most of what we know about him stems from his time at MODOT, where he continued the highway agenda. He also seems to support Hyperloop as a real transit option for the state. I would say more highways and Hyperloop are both failures and distractions from the investments we need to be making. The Tim Kaine connection is being blown out of proportion. There is very little evidence or reason for why he would act as you expect him to.

If you truly want a council outsider, vote for Phil Glynn. He seems to actually understand the issues facing downtown and would support continued sustainable growth.
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by beautyfromashes »

^ Yeah, Glenn is probably my least favorite candidate. I’d take most anyone over him. Soooo, he’ll probably win. :(
alejandro46
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by alejandro46 »

I'd say Justus will win. Sly will endorse her and that will put her over the top. Simple as that, name recognition and Sly is widely known and liked.

I think she is not a bad choice, she seems to know how government operates, politically moderate and someone who can get things done.
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

beautyfromashes wrote: Wed Feb 20, 2019 4:43 pm ^ Yeah, Glenn is probably my least favorite candidate. I’d take most anyone over him. Soooo, he’ll probably win. :(
I’d be surprised if he did.
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

Miller refused to say if he supports the pre-K plan tonight. It's, like, on the ballot in April and you can't commit to more than just "studying the proposal"? All of the other candidates quickly confirmed a yes/no position.

I can cut him some slack -- sort of -- for hedging on the pro choice question because it's not a local government issue (again, the only candidate to do so), but this is literally something that we'll be voting on in 45 days.
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

Three Mayoral Candidates respond to questions from Northeast Forum
Eight Kansas City mayoral candidates lined the stage at Northeast High School Saturday, Jan. 26, 2019, to address their plan of action if elected the next mayor. The panel discussed issues pertinent to the Historic Northeast, such as blight, incentivizing small businesses, trash pickup scheduling, transient camps, plans for revitalization, and the Pre-K tax.

Many of the questions posed by the audience were not answered during the forum due to time constraints. The Northeast News sent the remaining questions to all candidates who attended the forum as a follow-up questionnaire. Three candidates responded and we have posted their answers below.
http://northeastnews.net/pages/three-ma ... ast-forum/

Glynn, Justus, and Wagner were the only candidates that completed the forum followup questionnaire.