KC topics that don't fit anywhere else.
flyingember
One Park Place
One Park Place

Re: Affordable Housing

Post by flyingember » Fri Jul 26, 2019 3:51 pm

FangKC wrote:
Thu Jul 25, 2019 8:49 pm

The Oak Park-Northwest/Palestine East neighborhood shown is Indiana to Cleveland, and Linwood to 39th Street. The image is labeled Palestine West, but that is incorrect.
You're confusing three different neighborhoods.

Here's the map
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B1yGWT ... sp=sharing

That square is neighborhood #61

Palestine East is #62 (east of Cleveland), Oak Park Northwest is #58 (west of Indiana)
The Foxcroft and Glen Arbor neighborhood is south of St. Joseph's Medical Center (I-435), north of W. 115th Street, east of State Line, and west of Wornall Road
I'll save the description, just look at the map I linked, but it doesn't go to 115th St, nor is it the first neighborhood south of St. Joseph's.

FangKC
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by FangKC » Fri Jul 26, 2019 4:24 pm

flyingember wrote:
Fri Jul 26, 2019 3:51 pm
FangKC wrote:
Thu Jul 25, 2019 8:49 pm

The Oak Park-Northwest/Palestine East neighborhood shown is Indiana to Cleveland, and Linwood to 39th Street. The image is labeled Palestine West, but that is incorrect.
You're confusing three different neighborhoods.

Here's the map
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B1yGWT ... sp=sharing

That square is neighborhood #61

Palestine East is #62 (east of Cleveland), Oak Park Northwest is #58 (west of Indiana)
Thank you for the correction. I didn't have access to that map. I only saw that Palestine East label on Google maps, and no label for Palestine West appears there.

https://www.google.com/maps/@39.0639508 ... ,15z?hl=en
Last edited by FangKC on Fri Jul 26, 2019 4:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

FangKC
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by FangKC » Fri Jul 26, 2019 4:27 pm

flyingember wrote:
Fri Jul 26, 2019 3:51 pm

I'll save the description, just look at the map I linked, but it doesn't go to 115th St, nor is it the first neighborhood south of St. Joseph's.

I was giving general area so people who didn't know where it was could get a sense of where the neighborhoods are--not the precise borders.

FangKC
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by FangKC » Fri Jul 26, 2019 7:56 pm

Residents in KC’s urban core neighborhood feel harassed by predatory buyers

https://fox4kc.com/2019/07/25/residents ... ry-buyers/

brewcrew1000
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by brewcrew1000 » Mon Aug 19, 2019 12:57 pm

Not sure where to put this but has anyone noticed more homeless people this summer? I am seeing larger groups living and roaming together, there is a decent sized camp under the bridge at West Pennway and 35. I am seeing more camps being built up around Penn Valley Park.

The guy at Costco who waves and has the sign will work for food is homeless and i see him roaming all over midtown and working in a pack of other homeless people.

Not sure what the solution is and they are generally harmless but I really think the homelessness situation in the city has gotten worse.

earthling
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by earthling » Mon Aug 19, 2019 1:13 pm

I don't think it's growing as much as shifting around. Homeless used to practically run downtown streets until CID formed. There used to be a tent city along MO River near I435 years ago that was broken up. It's shifted but not necessarily higher. Something to still address with aid no matter if more or less.

According to this there are fewer in MO than in 2012 and shrinking. It shows KC area and others but not the change....
https://endhomelessness.org/homelessnes ... /missouri/

Denver area has almost more than all of MO combined. Over the years there has been a battle between Denver and Minneapolis. MSP was shipping homeless partly to Denver with a 'bus ticket forward' program. Denver responded saying they'd send 2 for every 1 MSP sent. Not sure what has happened since, has been a while.

The Veteran homeless program for tiny homes along Troost seems to be a good way to address. We need broader programs like that. And programs to help abled ones to become self-sufficient.

kcjak
Penntower
Penntower

Post by kcjak » Mon Aug 19, 2019 1:20 pm

brewcrew1000 wrote:
Mon Aug 19, 2019 12:57 pm
Not sure where to put this but has anyone noticed more homeless people this summer? I am seeing larger groups living and roaming together, there is a decent sized camp under the bridge at West Pennway and 35. I am seeing more camps being built up around Penn Valley Park.

The guy at Costco who waves and has the sign will work for food is homeless and i see him roaming all over midtown and working in a pack of other homeless people.

Not sure what the solution is and they are generally harmless but I really think the homelessness situation in the city has gotten worse.
There's been a group of 5-6 homeless guys living in Roanoke Park near the community center. One of the guys approached my a month or so ago asking for work and told me there were several of them living in the park and didn't want housing assistance, just wanted to live off the grid. They've been leaving trash, blankets, etc. throughout the park and going to the bathroom throughout. I took my son to the playground a couple of weekends ago and it was completely empty on a beautiful afternoon. Neighbors have said they feel uneasy taking their kids to play and I have to agree - we won't be back.

brewcrew1000
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by brewcrew1000 » Mon Aug 19, 2019 1:25 pm

^Is this the older playground by the Tennis Courts or the new one with ZipLine?

Wonder if the trash is making its way on the hiking trails at Roanoake. I really love those trails and our kids love it.

The trash really pisses me off, its only a matter of time before we start seeing needles

kcjak
Penntower
Penntower

Post by kcjak » Mon Aug 19, 2019 2:51 pm

brewcrew1000 wrote:
Mon Aug 19, 2019 1:25 pm
^Is this the older playground by the Tennis Courts or the new one with ZipLine?

Wonder if the trash is making its way on the hiking trails at Roanoake. I really love those trails and our kids love it.

The trash really pisses me off, its only a matter of time before we start seeing needles
The older playground near the tennis courts (although the equipment is pretty new). No way I would even think about doing the trails at this point - one of the tents has been near the northern part of the trail that overlooks Karnes Blvd and the smell from the human excrement the day I was at the playground was overpowering. I'm going to bring it up at our next neighborhood association meeting.

alejandro46
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by alejandro46 » Mon Aug 26, 2019 10:21 am

https://cityscenekc.com/streetcar-linke ... city-hall/
The PIEA is asking the city to allow it to offer up to the maximum property tax abatement allowed by state law, 25 years at 100 percent, for developers who follow the guidelines of a proposed city affordable housing ordinance being considered by the Council.

Currently, the PIEA, like other development agencies, is restricted by the city to offer a maximum property tax abatement of 75 percent for 10 years and 37.5 percent for 15 years.

The affordable housing legislation currently being considered by the Council would require any residential developer seeking city tax incentives to reserve at least 15 percent of the total number of units in their project as affordable housing.

The city would define affordable as units available to households with incomes at or below 80 percent of the median income for all Kansas City households. Rents, including utilities, could be no more than 30 percent of an eligible household income.

Would be nice if we could combine this proposal along with (a) eliminating minimum parking requirements and (b) imposing some minimum height requirements/density bonuses.

kcjak
Penntower
Penntower

Post by kcjak » Mon Sep 30, 2019 9:51 am

I took a side street on the way to work this morning and was surprised to see four small homes clustered in a lot that used to be a community garden - on the NW corner of 32nd/Oak (behind the original Lamar's). Anyone have any info? Looks like a nice little development for possible affordable housing.