2019 Mayor/Council Elections

KC topics that don't fit anywhere else.
WoodDraw
Valencia Place
Valencia Place
Posts: 1575
Joined: Tue Jan 27, 2004 8:53 pm

Re: 2019 Mayor/Council Elections

Post by WoodDraw » Thu Aug 01, 2019 5:14 pm

Didn't we pass an East side tax that basically hasn't been spent? 🙄

I mean we can throw a lot of stones. Downtown should get more money than other places. It's, by definition, the center for everyone.

kboish
Broadway Square
Broadway Square
Posts: 2554
Joined: Mon Nov 26, 2007 12:25 am
Location: West Plaza

Re: 2019 Mayor/Council Elections

Post by kboish » Thu Aug 01, 2019 6:39 pm

Committee assignments are out. Loar is T&I chair...

User avatar
chaglang
Bryant Building
Bryant Building
Posts: 3579
Joined: Wed Jan 04, 2012 12:44 pm

Re: 2019 Mayor/Council Elections

Post by chaglang » Thu Aug 01, 2019 6:53 pm

Since everyone since the founding of the city has run on the platform of reducing crime, what can Lucas do to reduce crime that hasn’t been done already? Personally, I’d love to see KCPD come under local control and have to combine duplicate services with the city in order to be better stewards of the taxpayers money. But I suspect that that won’t do anything to the crime rate.

Edit: Bunch as T&I Vice Chair is a coup. What’s everyone’s read on the new PZ+E? Seems like is could be a mess, or it could be a development rubber stamp.

User avatar
DaveKCMO
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Posts: 17619
Joined: Sun Nov 27, 2005 6:22 pm
Location: Crossroads
Contact:

Re: 2019 Mayor/Council Elections

Post by DaveKCMO » Thu Aug 01, 2019 8:12 pm

KCPowercat wrote:
Thu Aug 01, 2019 4:26 pm
Those are pretty generic except "downtown handouts" which is oddly specific. Shouldn't the focus be on unnecessary handouts which would include areas like the plaza and suburbs that don't need "handouts" as well?
NORTHLAND COSTCO TIF

User avatar
KCPowercat
Power & Light
Power & Light
Posts: 29565
Joined: Mon Oct 07, 2002 12:49 pm
Location: Quality Hill
Contact:

Re: 2019 Mayor/Council Elections

Post by KCPowercat » Thu Aug 01, 2019 11:45 pm

So loar. Why? Longevity? Does Q owe her? Not the pick I'd want out of our new mayor that wanted to be so open a collaborative. She is the opposite of both.

flyingember
One Park Place
One Park Place
Posts: 7746
Joined: Tue Jul 17, 2012 7:54 am

Re: 2019 Mayor/Council Elections

Post by flyingember » Fri Aug 02, 2019 8:16 am

KCPowercat wrote:
Thu Aug 01, 2019 11:45 pm
So loar. Why? Longevity? Does Q owe her? Not the pick I'd want out of our new mayor that wanted to be so open a collaborative. She is the opposite of both.
Seniority drives who runs things at all levels of governance starting with a PTA meeting.

User avatar
KCPowercat
Power & Light
Power & Light
Posts: 29565
Joined: Mon Oct 07, 2002 12:49 pm
Location: Quality Hill
Contact:

Re: 2019 Mayor/Council Elections

Post by KCPowercat » Fri Aug 02, 2019 9:26 am

So much for Quinton trying new things.

johnmatrix
Strip mall
Strip mall
Posts: 276
Joined: Wed Feb 19, 2014 11:10 pm

Re: 2019 Mayor/Council Elections

Post by johnmatrix » Fri Aug 02, 2019 10:40 am

chaglang wrote:
Thu Aug 01, 2019 6:53 pm
Since everyone since the founding of the city has run on the platform of reducing crime, what can Lucas do to reduce crime that hasn’t been done already? Personally, I’d love to see KCPD come under local control and have to combine duplicate services with the city in order to be better stewards of the taxpayers money. But I suspect that that won’t do anything to the crime rate.

Edit: Bunch as T&I Vice Chair is a coup. What’s everyone’s read on the new PZ+E? Seems like is could be a mess, or it could be a development rubber stamp.
We need a fully staffed police force. We were supposed to have around 1,500 about 50 years ago and never reached that. It is interesting however in 2013 & 2014 we were close and crime was down. Aside from police we need some economic free zones in parts of East & South KC. Encourage growth and jobs you will see a slide in violence.

Probably not popular on here but free busing is a good first move by Lucas.

User avatar
chaglang
Bryant Building
Bryant Building
Posts: 3579
Joined: Wed Jan 04, 2012 12:44 pm

Re: 2019 Mayor/Council Elections

Post by chaglang » Fri Aug 02, 2019 10:46 am

Why wouldn't the free busing be popular here? If the city subsidizes parking garages, and the streetcar is free, we absolutely should make buses free.

It's a topic for a different thread, but if the KCPD wants to build out its officer count, I my preference is that they be more efficient with their money and reduce admin redundancy... basically that audit that came out 3-4 years ago.

User avatar
normalthings
Valencia Place
Valencia Place
Posts: 1935
Joined: Mon Mar 30, 2015 9:52 pm

Re: 2019 Mayor/Council Elections

Post by normalthings » Fri Aug 02, 2019 11:07 am

johnmatrix wrote:
Fri Aug 02, 2019 10:40 am
chaglang wrote:
Thu Aug 01, 2019 6:53 pm
Since everyone since the founding of the city has run on the platform of reducing crime, what can Lucas do to reduce crime that hasn’t been done already? Personally, I’d love to see KCPD come under local control and have to combine duplicate services with the city in order to be better stewards of the taxpayers money. But I suspect that that won’t do anything to the crime rate.

Edit: Bunch as T&I Vice Chair is a coup. What’s everyone’s read on the new PZ+E? Seems like is could be a mess, or it could be a development rubber stamp.
We need a fully staffed police force. We were supposed to have around 1,500 about 50 years ago and never reached that. It is interesting however in 2013 & 2014 we were close and crime was down. Aside from police we need some economic free zones in parts of East & South KC. Encourage growth and jobs you will see a slide in violence.

Probably not popular on here but free busing is a good first move by Lucas.
1. Free Bus is something I heard of from members of this board first. It should be supported on every level of government.

2. Independent KCPD wastes funds on administration that could be streamed lined with city control.

3. More police is an expensive and reactionary solution to the problem. I’ve not heard Quentin talk much about preventative measures. We need a plan to intervene before our children take the path of crime/violence/joblessness. Early Childhood education and reading levels have been linked to future jail and jobless rates. The ROI for investing in our children is significantly higher than just hiring more office after the problem happens.

johnmatrix
Strip mall
Strip mall
Posts: 276
Joined: Wed Feb 19, 2014 11:10 pm

Re: 2019 Mayor/Council Elections

Post by johnmatrix » Fri Aug 02, 2019 11:28 am

normalthings wrote:
Fri Aug 02, 2019 11:07 am
johnmatrix wrote:
Fri Aug 02, 2019 10:40 am
chaglang wrote:
Thu Aug 01, 2019 6:53 pm
Since everyone since the founding of the city has run on the platform of reducing crime, what can Lucas do to reduce crime that hasn’t been done already? Personally, I’d love to see KCPD come under local control and have to combine duplicate services with the city in order to be better stewards of the taxpayers money. But I suspect that that won’t do anything to the crime rate.

Edit: Bunch as T&I Vice Chair is a coup. What’s everyone’s read on the new PZ+E? Seems like is could be a mess, or it could be a development rubber stamp.
We need a fully staffed police force. We were supposed to have around 1,500 about 50 years ago and never reached that. It is interesting however in 2013 & 2014 we were close and crime was down. Aside from police we need some economic free zones in parts of East & South KC. Encourage growth and jobs you will see a slide in violence.

Probably not popular on here but free busing is a good first move by Lucas.
1. Free Bus is something I heard of from members of this board first. It should be supported on every level of government.

2. Independent KCPD wastes funds on administration that could be streamed lined with city control.

3. More police is an expensive and reactionary solution to the problem. I’ve not heard Quentin talk much about preventative measures. We need a plan to intervene before our children take the path of crime/violence/joblessness. Early Childhood education and reading levels have been linked to future jail and jobless rates. The ROI for investing in our children is significantly higher than just hiring more office after the problem happens.
I agree with you mostly but I've spoken to several people in the law enforcement field who said we need more police. People may not like it but the new security in Westport for example has worked. i've read conflicting data about more police = less crime though.

flyingember
One Park Place
One Park Place
Posts: 7746
Joined: Tue Jul 17, 2012 7:54 am

Re: 2019 Mayor/Council Elections

Post by flyingember » Fri Aug 02, 2019 11:30 am

The first item shows he was paying attention to everyone saying about how the cost of a bus pass as a percentage of income is tied to affordable housing.

Crime is heavily tied to the perception someone can have a better life without crime. Educated individuals are less likely to commit violent and petty crimes by providing these opportunities. We know that a family that doesn't move around as much keeps their kid in school and staying in school is connected to educational outcome. If we can reduce evictions and demand for the lowest income housing more people will stick with where they live today.

Crime is thus indirectly tied to our transportation policy.

Think of how many less people will drive on a suspended license if they can hop on a bus for free. And I would not be surprised to learn people who drive on a suspended license are also the type to speed, drive drunk and ignore pedestrians.

User avatar
KCPowercat
Power & Light
Power & Light
Posts: 29565
Joined: Mon Oct 07, 2002 12:49 pm
Location: Quality Hill
Contact:

Re: 2019 Mayor/Council Elections

Post by KCPowercat » Fri Aug 02, 2019 12:26 pm

johnmatrix wrote:
Fri Aug 02, 2019 10:40 am
chaglang wrote:
Thu Aug 01, 2019 6:53 pm
Since everyone since the founding of the city has run on the platform of reducing crime, what can Lucas do to reduce crime that hasn’t been done already? Personally, I’d love to see KCPD come under local control and have to combine duplicate services with the city in order to be better stewards of the taxpayers money. But I suspect that that won’t do anything to the crime rate.

Edit: Bunch as T&I Vice Chair is a coup. What’s everyone’s read on the new PZ+E? Seems like is could be a mess, or it could be a development rubber stamp.
We need a fully staffed police force. We were supposed to have around 1,500 about 50 years ago and never reached that. It is interesting however in 2013 & 2014 we were close and crime was down. Aside from police we need some economic free zones in parts of East & South KC. Encourage growth and jobs you will see a slide in violence.

Probably not popular on here but free busing is a good first move by Lucas.
How in the world did you arrive at the conclusion that free buses wouldn't be popular here? Do you understand this site at all?

Educate me on what the right amount of police officers is for KC. I have no idea what the right number is and I come from a law enforcement family.

User avatar
smh
Hotel President
Hotel President
Posts: 3310
Joined: Tue Jun 08, 2010 10:40 pm
Location: Central Loop

Re: 2019 Mayor/Council Elections

Post by smh » Fri Aug 02, 2019 12:42 pm

smh wrote:
Wed Jul 31, 2019 12:23 pm
DaveKCMO wrote:
Wed Jul 31, 2019 11:37 am
The Standing Committees of the Council shall be:

(a) Finance, Governance, and Public Safety

(b) Transportation, Infrastructure, and Operations Committee

(c) Neighborhood, Planning, and Development
http://cityclerk.kcmo.org/LiveWeb/Docum ... hJDkVivsW5
a) Shields

b) Loar

c) Barnes?
Nailed it, and yet....

kboish
Broadway Square
Broadway Square
Posts: 2554
Joined: Mon Nov 26, 2007 12:25 am
Location: West Plaza

Re: 2019 Mayor/Council Elections

Post by kboish » Fri Aug 02, 2019 12:46 pm

While Quinton says violent crime and supporting KCPD is a high priority, I have never heard Quinton say we need more police officers. In fact, I have heard not only him, but several council people say that is exactly not what we need. This is one of those areas where I think people hear what they want to hear from Quinton. And eventually, they will not get what they want. Just read his write up on his priorities. He says public safety and supporting KCPD is important, but how he wants to support them is very different than adding officers.

Nothing holds us back more than the many lives cut short each year by violent crime and the pervasive fear of danger felt by many Kansas Citians.

While it’s not just a police conversation, we do have to provide the tools necessary to recruit and train a diverse law enforcement workforce.

We need to support their efforts through Police Athletic Leagues in Kansas City and Kansas City, Kansas, to provide more hope and investment in young people.

We need to make permanent our investment in the Kansas City Police Department’s social work program, to ensure we are prioritizing mental health, substance abuse treatment and prevention, and support for survivors of domestic violence as key elements in our fight against crime.

I commend Blunt for his advocacy both for increased funding for mental health and substance abuse addiction treatment. We need support for access to better mental health services in every community of our region.

kboish
Broadway Square
Broadway Square
Posts: 2554
Joined: Mon Nov 26, 2007 12:25 am
Location: West Plaza

Re: 2019 Mayor/Council Elections

Post by kboish » Fri Aug 02, 2019 12:54 pm

And yes, free transit is an awesome priority! It is definitely something i think bubbled up from talks on this board.

johnmatrix
Strip mall
Strip mall
Posts: 276
Joined: Wed Feb 19, 2014 11:10 pm

Re: 2019 Mayor/Council Elections

Post by johnmatrix » Fri Aug 02, 2019 1:06 pm

KCPowercat wrote:
Fri Aug 02, 2019 12:26 pm
johnmatrix wrote:
Fri Aug 02, 2019 10:40 am
chaglang wrote:
Thu Aug 01, 2019 6:53 pm
Since everyone since the founding of the city has run on the platform of reducing crime, what can Lucas do to reduce crime that hasn’t been done already? Personally, I’d love to see KCPD come under local control and have to combine duplicate services with the city in order to be better stewards of the taxpayers money. But I suspect that that won’t do anything to the crime rate.

Edit: Bunch as T&I Vice Chair is a coup. What’s everyone’s read on the new PZ+E? Seems like is could be a mess, or it could be a development rubber stamp.
We need a fully staffed police force. We were supposed to have around 1,500 about 50 years ago and never reached that. It is interesting however in 2013 & 2014 we were close and crime was down. Aside from police we need some economic free zones in parts of East & South KC. Encourage growth and jobs you will see a slide in violence.

Probably not popular on here but free busing is a good first move by Lucas.
How in the world did you arrive at the conclusion that free buses wouldn't be popular here? Do you understand this site at all?

Educate me on what the right amount of police officers is for KC. I have no idea what the right number is and I come from a law enforcement family.
Free busing would take away from street car ridership.

I'm going based off Mayor Davis's report from over 50 years ago. That goal has never been reached.
https://www.kshb.com/news/safe-kc/kcpd- ... r-old-goal

User avatar
chaglang
Bryant Building
Bryant Building
Posts: 3579
Joined: Wed Jan 04, 2012 12:44 pm

Re: 2019 Mayor/Council Elections

Post by chaglang » Fri Aug 02, 2019 1:45 pm

Others can speak to this with more precision, but my hunch is that free buses would have zero impact on streetcar ridership.

That 1500 officers number probably needs to be updated, given that it's 50 years old, policing strategies have changed drastically, and the report was made on the heels of a riot.

shinatoo
One Park Place
One Park Place
Posts: 6338
Joined: Wed Jan 19, 2005 3:20 pm

Re: 2019 Mayor/Council Elections

Post by shinatoo » Fri Aug 02, 2019 2:02 pm

I would think free busses would increase streetcar ridership.
Quocunque Jeceris Stabit

User avatar
KCPowercat
Power & Light
Power & Light
Posts: 29565
Joined: Mon Oct 07, 2002 12:49 pm
Location: Quality Hill
Contact:

Re: 2019 Mayor/Council Elections

Post by KCPowercat » Fri Aug 02, 2019 3:07 pm

John doesn't get what this site is about.

Post Reply