Unbuilt KC

KC topics that don't fit anywhere else.
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Re: Unbuilt KC

Post by normalthings »

missingkc wrote: Tue Apr 28, 2020 4:23 pm That map is of completed projects, isn't it?
Nope. Its a map for their 220+ active projects.
Chris Stritzel
Penntower
Penntower

Post by Chris Stritzel »

I would think the SCB mention could be put under the Rumors section. It’s not unbuilt and is most likely in design. I’d pay attention to things moving forward since there’s always stuff going on behind the scenes.
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

Chris Stritzel wrote: Tue Apr 28, 2020 4:35 pm I would think the SCB mention could be put under the Rumors section. It’s not unbuilt and is most likely in design. I’d pay attention to things moving forward since there’s always stuff going on behind the scenes.
true. I will post it there
dukuboy1
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by dukuboy1 »

Anthony_Hugo98 wrote: Tue Apr 28, 2020 9:07 am
dukuboy1 wrote: Mon Apr 27, 2020 4:29 pm Just wish the Lowes design team would have been a bit more bold in their design. The inside looks great but the outside is, eh? I mean it's not even a good looking glass box. Those beige strips are lawful. It looks like a huge Holiday Inn Express :) . Some of the early Hilton renderings and even the Lowes ones would have been better. But we got it, now we just need to use it.
As much as I do agree that the building is aesthetically displeasing, I’d still so much rather have the building than the blank lot that we had before. I will argue that something is better than nothing.
I agree, something is better than nothing and the function of the hotel & what it was intended to do is a huge opportunity for the city to draw major events and just keep the momentum rolling.
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

The aesthetics will prove to be irrelevant in a year.
shinatoo
Ambassador

Post by shinatoo »

flyingember wrote: Wed Apr 29, 2020 11:04 am The aesthetics will prove to be irrelevant in a year.
No they won't.
dukuboy1
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by dukuboy1 »

shinatoo wrote: Wed Apr 29, 2020 11:48 am
flyingember wrote: Wed Apr 29, 2020 11:04 am The aesthetics will prove to be irrelevant in a year.
No they won't.
Agreed, ugly is ugly. It might be less noticeable as it just becomes part of what you are used to seeing. If anything it may become more stark over time as more building pop up around it with better designs and people wonder "what drunk SOB designed that building" :)
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

2006 Broadway Condo Tower Proposal. 17 floors. 133 Condominium Units.

More renderings and a 7 minute video.

https://www.accardoarts.com/the-broadway

Chris Stritzel
Penntower
Penntower

Post by Chris Stritzel »

^ Good looking project. Too bad the current site is a green space. Would be much better if that building was built. There are other parcels in the Crossroads that could support a project like this.

Being almost 14 years since that project was initially proposed, the neighborhood has changed enough to where new, high-end condominiums could sell easily. Walkability has increased greatly with basically every new project is bringing something of use to the neighborhood. All the projects in the pipeline will also add to increasing the walkability of the area.

I admit, condos are tricky to sell and get off the ground since lenders often require a certain percentage of units be sold prior to construction starting and buyers want to make sure that the building will get built. If there's no indication will start, you will lose interest from potential buyers. Maybe take a 3 Light approach to get condos going. Do a mix of apartments and condos and if condos do well, gradually increase condo amounts to where a full condo building can be built.

The unbuilt building's design could be updated a little bit but overall, the massing is great and some street level activation is there.

Sorry to sort of derail this thread, but it's just a thought I had over "The Broadway".
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

Chris Stritzel wrote: Mon May 04, 2020 10:29 pm ^ Good looking project. Too bad the current site is a green space. Would be much better if that building was built. There are other parcels in the Crossroads that could support a project like this.

Being almost 14 years since that project was initially proposed, the neighborhood has changed enough to where new, high-end condominiums could sell easily. Walkability has increased greatly with basically every new project is bringing something of use to the neighborhood. All the projects in the pipeline will also add to increasing the walkability of the area.

I admit, condos are tricky to sell and get off the ground since lenders often require a certain percentage of units be sold prior to construction starting and buyers want to make sure that the building will get built. If there's no indication will start, you will lose interest from potential buyers. Maybe take a 3 Light approach to get condos going. Do a mix of apartments and condos and if condos do well, gradually increase condo amounts to where a full condo building can be built.

The unbuilt building's design could be updated a little bit but overall, the massing is great and some street level activation is there.

Sorry to sort of derail this thread, but it's just a thought I had over "The Broadway".
This would work well on the Hotel Bravo block. Similar topography and similar views
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

Power & Light Condos: The project consists of 700 stalls of parking, 102 condominium units, 10,000 square feet of retail space, restoration of the historic Power and Light office building, and the addition of a 200,000 square foot Class “A” office tower.

http://www.alsationlandco.com/project/p ... ht-condos/
TheLastGentleman
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by TheLastGentleman »

I like what got built well enough, but wow, this plan would've been awesome
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

Downtown Rail Loop

chaglang
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by chaglang »

Chris Stritzel wrote: Mon May 04, 2020 10:29 pm ^ Good looking project. Too bad the current site is a green space. Would be much better if that building was built. There are other parcels in the Crossroads that could support a project like this.

Wasn't part of the blowback on this project also that it would block the views from the PAC to Liberty Memorial?
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

chaglang wrote: Wed Nov 11, 2020 4:07 pm

Wasn't part of the blowback on this project also that it would block the views from the PAC to Liberty Memorial?
The project was approved and sold a good number of units. Its cancellation occurred when the developer grew worried that the upcoming financial crisis would make the project hard to pull off. Yes, the PAC people complained.
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

there are a bunch of unbuilt projects here

ToDactivist
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by ToDactivist »

I now understand why there are so many architects in KC.
dukuboy1
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by dukuboy1 »

what year is this from? 1970's, late 60's after the Interstate system was in place? Would be neat to show a current map of what we have and what is proposed
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

dukuboy1 wrote: Thu Jun 17, 2021 4:52 pm what year is this from? 1970's, late 60's after the Interstate system was in place? Would be neat to show a current map of what we have and what is proposed
670 is shown with a tunnel for reference
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

dukuboy1 wrote: Thu Jun 17, 2021 4:52 pm what year is this from? 1970's, late 60's after the Interstate system was in place? Would be neat to show a current map of what we have and what is proposed
Guessing ~1959-1961, give or take

Missing:

Commerce Tower from 1965
Crown Plaza from 1968
Federal Building from 1966
Ten Main from 1968
1125 Grand from 1963