Re: Unbuilt KC

Post by TheLastGentleman »

Stole my idea! /s
grovester
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by grovester »

I wondered. This board is the source of many good ideas, be proud.
TheLastGentleman
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

grovester wrote: Fri May 03, 2019 8:20 am KC Modern is doing an "Unbuilt KC" exhibit for FF at Studio Build 2119 Washington.
BTW Is it open now? How long will it be there for?
grovester
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by grovester »

I think it's just a FF pop up. Tried to find a link, but not luck. I got an email about it.

KCmodern presents unbuiltKC — Stop by Studio Build at 2119 Washington on First Friday, May 3rd between 5–7 pm. This is a pop-up exhibit featuring structures designed for the metro area, but were never erected. Refreshments provided. .

Crosstown Center by Environmental Associates, which was a partnership between David B. Runnells, AIA, Architect and W.G. Roeseler, AIP, City Planner. The project demonstrates early 70s style semi-brutalist architecture not unlike the built Crown Center urban renewal projects.
Midtownkid
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by Midtownkid »

I'm planning to go. Kinda disappointed it's only open for a 2-hour window! I'm planning my night around it accordingly.
TheLastGentleman
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Please take photos and post them here!
Anthony_Hugo98
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by Anthony_Hugo98 »

Midtownkid wrote: Fri May 03, 2019 2:53 pm I'm planning to go. Kinda disappointed it's only open for a 2-hour window! I'm planning my night around it accordingly.
Did you ever end up making it to the event?
Midtownkid
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by Midtownkid »

I did. It was interesting. The 'exhibit' was set up on their computer screens. Cool little office.
Anthony_Hugo98
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by Anthony_Hugo98 »

Midtownkid wrote: Wed Aug 07, 2019 12:59 pm I did. It was interesting. The 'exhibit' was set up on their computer screens. Cool little office.
I imagine, did they have much that hasn't been shown here? or more info on the background of some of the designs?
Midtownkid
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by Midtownkid »

They had a couple of things I hadn't seen and they had some write-ups about each project. Mostly stuff I'm familiar with though.

I didn't take any pictures and I can't really remember what was new to me...so that's all I got
grovester
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by grovester »

I was a bit underwhelmed, basically a bunch of powerpoints, and the office layout wasn't very conducive to lingering.
TheLastGentleman
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

TheLastGentleman wrote: Sun Sep 15, 2019 3:40 pm Image

Building 1 could have looked great if done with 1930s detail and materials.
TheLastGentleman
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Found on Twitter

dukuboy1
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by dukuboy1 »

funny How some of this is coming to plan with the P&L buildings, HR Block, Waddell & Reed, etc. Would love to see something like G & E enter the Skyline. I like the look of G, but We won't ever need anything bigger than One KC Place honestly. Maybe some day if KC becomes an huge boom town like Dallas Metro did in the 90's
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

dukuboy1 wrote: Mon Apr 27, 2020 3:52 pm funny How some of this is coming to plan with the P&L buildings, HR Block, Waddell & Reed, etc. Would love to see something like G & E enter the Skyline. I like the look of G, but We won't ever need anything bigger than One KC Place honestly. Maybe some day if KC becomes an huge boom town like Dallas Metro did in the 90's
The side of me that still loves towers wants G&E to happen. However, I feel like those design would have made our skyline feel dated vs what we have now.
dukuboy1
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by dukuboy1 »

Agreed. E is nothing special, at least G has some elements of modern design. That said the "twisted" building proposed by Sprint Center would be great. Love what Strata could be. I also like the the renderings for 1300 WY, next to the Aladdin. That building could be a great focal point for activity with Barney Allis Plaza re-do. I prefer some of the more bold designs, within reason, but overall new building to bring density is great.

Just wish the Lowes design team would have been a bit more bold in their design. The inside looks great but the outside is, eh? I mean it's not even a good looking glass box. Those beige strips are lawful. It looks like a huge Holiday Inn Express :) . Some of the early Hilton renderings and even the Lowes ones would have been better. But we got it, now we just need to use it.
Anthony_Hugo98
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by Anthony_Hugo98 »

dukuboy1 wrote: Mon Apr 27, 2020 4:29 pm Just wish the Lowes design team would have been a bit more bold in their design. The inside looks great but the outside is, eh? I mean it's not even a good looking glass box. Those beige strips are lawful. It looks like a huge Holiday Inn Express :) . Some of the early Hilton renderings and even the Lowes ones would have been better. But we got it, now we just need to use it.
As much as I do agree that the building is aesthetically displeasing, I’d still so much rather have the building than the blank lot that we had before. I will argue that something is better than nothing.
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

I noticed that KC is on the active projects map for Solomon Cordwell Buenz

https://www.scb.com/app/uploads/2019/11 ... s-2019.png

This is an architect on a lot of higher-end projects and has worked with MAC Properties before.

5252 is a recent MAC-SCB project in Chicago.

missingkc
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by missingkc »

That map is of completed projects, isn't it?