Do you have or plan to get Google Fiber?

KC topics that don't fit anywhere else.

Do you have or plan to get Google Fiber?

Currently have Google Fiber - 'free' 5M service
14%
Currently have Google Fiber - 100M or 1 Gigabit service only
20%
Currently have Google Fiber - TV + 1 Gigabit service
41%
Am in a deployed Google Fiber area but sticking with current or moving to other ISP
1%
Am in a planned area, intend to get Google Fiber
10%
Am in a planned area, sticking with current ISP
1%
None of the above/something else
13%

Total votes: 87

earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Re: Do you have or plan to get Google Fiber?

Post by earthling »

Just noticed that North KC not only offers 'free' Gigabit after $300 activation fee but now offers many higher speeds up to 100Gb. A 2Gb connection only $50. No idea how reliable but am not aware of anything like this elsewhere in US at residential level.

http://www.kcfiber.com/residential

If NKC gets streetcar extension and can beef up downtown with broader variety of eats/attractions along with this perk that would be attractive to biz/startups, NKC could become a nice additional power center that is easily accessible to other side of river.
davidc
Pad site
Pad site

Post by davidc »

I currently have the 1g Fiber (1g down/1g up) + TV + phone service.

I was just checking their website: I can get 2g Fiber (2g down/1g up) but no options for TV or phone service.

grovester
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by grovester »

davidc wrote: Fri Apr 30, 2021 12:43 pm I currently have the 1g Fiber (1g down/1g up) + TV + phone service.

I was just checking their website: I can get 2g Fiber (2g down/1g up) but no options for TV or phone service.

Think they've been trying to get out of the tv biz, delicately, for a while now.
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

Yeah, no longer available to new plans/customers. If you currently have GFTV, will apparently lose it if you change plans. Must use YTTV, Sling, Hulu Live, etc. if you want cable-like TV. For phone, Obitalk is the same box Google used IIRC. I have Obitalk, no complaints.
Eon Blue
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by Eon Blue »

We got an email today that as Fiber TV subscribers we are "eligible to upgrade" to a different streaming TV service. They're throwing in Chromecast replacements for each TV box plus a Google wifi router. Didn't see a timeline on when they'll officially pull the plug on Fiber TV, but we knew it was coming eventually.
cknab1
Ambassador

Post by cknab1 »

So what's the best streaming service to get local stations plus everything else. I've got chromecast on a couple of tv's but I hate having to sign in to ESPN and NFL network everytime I watch. At least on fiber TV I don't have to worry about that.
swid
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by swid »

It seems the current consensus is "Sling if you're cheap and don't mind using an antenna for locals, and any one of YouTube TV/Hulu Plus/Fubo TV if you're not cheap".

We lost Fiber TV when we moved and have yet to decide if we'll subscribe to one of the cable replacement services or just go all in on getting every last whatever+ service.
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

I like YouTube TV.