Do you have or plan to get Google Fiber?

KC topics that don't fit anywhere else.

Do you have or plan to get Google Fiber?

Currently have Google Fiber - 'free' 5M service
14%
Currently have Google Fiber - 100M or 1 Gigabit service only
20%
Currently have Google Fiber - TV + 1 Gigabit service
41%
Am in a deployed Google Fiber area but sticking with current or moving to other ISP
1%
Am in a planned area, intend to get Google Fiber
10%
Am in a planned area, sticking with current ISP
1%
None of the above/something else
13%

Total votes: 87

mailman641
Strip mall
Strip mall

Re: Do you have or plan to get Google Fiber?

Post by mailman641 »

yes, I used a hard wired connection for those ping times. my router does have wifi but I only use it for my phone and tablet. my desktop is hardwired.
im2kull
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by im2kull »

I think a lot of people here tend to forget that the famed T1 lines of the early 2000's only had 1-1.5mbps of bandwidth. Google Fiber has 1,000 times that amount of bandwidth..in each direction. Worrying about a slowdown, even during peak usage or while being "Throttled" is pointless. There are no comparisons of Google Fiber to any other type of internet you have ever used. The speed you get from Google Fiber is the same as the speed you get while connecting one PC in your house to another directly with an advanced Cat6 Gigabit Ethernet cable. They could throttle you 90% and you would still have 100 Megabits of speed..or roughly 400% of what almost any competitor can offer during their fastest performance.
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

The T1 was first implemented in 1961 and was way outclassed by 2000. 5 mbit fiber was implemented in 1988.

that you're even trying to have an understanding of how out of date (and cheap) a T1 was in 2000 shows how much you don't know.

you're more showing just how much consumer ISPs have sat on speed increases in recent years than anything
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

It will get interesting as more ISPs rollout a Gbit as there is more to delivering a Gbit than just the last segment to home. Not all networks are designed the same. There needs to be enough capacity at the neighborhood level for many active home and designed well to peer/interconnect with long haul providers. Verizon FIOS offers 300M but are struggling with Netflix, which only needs 3-6M max, because of peering issues. Google doesn't have this issue.

AT&T Gigapower (Overland Park is supposed to get it) and other Gbit ISPs share 48-64 households on a 2.5G GPON, which comes to about 40-50M avg. They might get by with that for a while but there's a good chance that users will conflict with each other in a hood with many DVR recordings, Netflix activity, etc, going on at once. Many may not get anywhere near a Gbit at prime time. Google is supposedly doing a more modern hybrid fabric (called WDM-PON) that allows everyone to have at least 800M even under heavy loads in a fiberhood.

The other thing Google appears to be doing is building their own longhaul nodes across the country, which reduces latency to the coasts and allows for higher performance before switching off to other backbone providers - from what I can tell, other ISPs aren't doing this as well. Ping tests are supporting this.

It will still be a while before there is super heavy usage that justifies a Gbit but many services are increasing throughput over time and it will add up to more bandwidth needed in each neighborhood. Google Drive/Dropbox syncs at 200-300M, Netflix will soon be boosting 6M streams to 15M, backup services are boosting the max they can support. While torrenting most content isn't legit, I can pull up to 500M on single computer. Legit video services are considering using torrent like protocol in near future to deliver content. It will add up over the next few years and KC having Gbit infrastructure will be ready for it, but other Gbit ISPs need to do it end to end like Google is, not just create appearance of a Gbit established connection to end user. Is just as important to have enough capacity at neighborhood level and interconnects/peering with long haul providers.
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

earthling wrote: It will still be a while before there is super heavy usage that justifies a Gbit
Online gaming quality has been held back by bandwidth limits.

you can only send so much real time game data at once without more bandwidth.'

imagine an MMO where you're actually sharing a single world with every other character and the environment changes based on the actions in the game. the kind of information that would be sent out
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

NKC residents will get 'free' Gbit with $300 install. They found someone to take over operating it. They've had fiber for almost 10 years but poorly priced and not near a Gbit...

http://www.lightreading.com/broadband/g ... -id/710885
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

So does anyone know if TimeWarner has started the 300Mbps rollout and which areas?
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

earthling wrote:So does anyone know if TimeWarner has started the 300Mbps rollout and which areas?
It starts next year near me

Briarcliff
cknab1
Ambassador

Post by cknab1 »

I've had Google fiber with the TV package for some time now and over all pretty happy with it. My only complaint is that since I live in a concrete building the Wifi doesn't extend all the way to the back rooms as strong as I would like. They only made one drop and won’t add any others. And that drop was at the end of my unit where I have the TV. Do any of the WiFi range extenders work as advertised?
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

cknab1 wrote:My only complaint is that since I live in a concrete building the Wifi doesn't extend all the way to the back rooms as strong as I would like. They only made one drop and won’t add any others. And that drop was at the end of my unit where I have the TV. Do any of the WiFi range extenders work as advertised?
this is a serious problem for us. never had this many issues with our apple router. we recently dropped the TV service (gbit data only) and now everything has to run on wifi because the fiberjack is in our bedroom. have considered buying the TV box just to get the coax connection, but the price is steep for a single ethernet port (the network box has four, but has to be wired to the fiberjack leaving it out of reach of our entertainment center).
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

cknab1 wrote:I've had Google fiber with the TV package for some time now and over all pretty happy with it. My only complaint is that since I live in a concrete building the Wifi doesn't extend all the way to the back rooms as strong as I would like. They only made one drop and won’t add any others. And that drop was at the end of my unit where I have the TV. Do any of the WiFi range extenders work as advertised?
How many TV boxes do you have? They can be enabled as WiFi extenders. I haven't used an extender (am in a condo) but a friend uses a Netgear extender and it works fine. You may not get high performance but will at least allow covering home.

I think he has this one...
http://www.amazon.com/NETGEAR-Range-Ext ... er+netgear

This one costs more as it supports WiFi 802.11ac (techies just say AC), which is higher performing but you would need to be using Google's 2nd Gen network box (or add your own) that supports AC - Google just started rolling it out just recently. Don't bother with AC unless you have modern devices/computers that support 802.11ac...
http://www.amazon.com/NETGEAR--802-11AC ... ++802.11ac
cknab1
Ambassador

Post by cknab1 »

Thanks, I just have the one TV on Fiber and the rest on TimeWarner. I'll have to run a cable back to the bedroom if I want a box at the other end. I have TW on the other TV's because it's included in our HOA and we have a channel dedicated to the front entry and i would not have that if I switch all the TV's. I will try the netgear range extender.
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

cknab1 wrote: Do any of the WiFi range extenders work as advertised?
Yes
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

Surewest/Consolidated announced upgrading their fiber network to Gigabit for $70/month. They already have fiber service in Lenexa/parts of JoCo and Central KCMO. Unlike Google they'll also offer low/mid tiers, which will be interesting to see how they price out. For those who can get it, you might consider them if you want cheaper high enough speed (100Mbps?) but don't want to pay $70 for internet.

http://www.lightreading.com/gigabit/gig ... RSS_LR_EDT

If anyone finds how they price new low/mid tiers, please post. I'll guess they'll do 100M for $60 - some will go for it to save $120/year and others will just assume pay $10 more for 10X speed.
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

earthling wrote:NKC residents will get 'free' Gbit with $300 install. They found someone to take over operating it. They've had fiber for almost 10 years but poorly priced and not near a Gbit...

Anyone in NKC have this yet?
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

earthling wrote:
earthling wrote:NKC residents will get 'free' Gbit with $300 install. They found someone to take over operating it. They've had fiber for almost 10 years but poorly priced and not near a Gbit...

Anyone in NKC have this yet?

Re-read your article

It goes live Jan 1
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

Ah, it used to say Nov 1, or maybe that was KC Star article.
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

TimeWarner is ready to rollout 300Mbps and digital TV upgrade in KC, starting next week. Is anyone at this point planning to stay with TWC or move back from GF? (Vote or change vote above). I got a flyer the other day for TV/phone/50Mbps for $80 first year, beware it goes up after that. That 50M speed will be upgraded to 200 with new rollout at no charge, but they have much slower uplink. There is an online deal for $90 TV/phone/100M that bumps up to 300 when available. I'm not moving back but good to see them competing. Would like to see Google offer a middle speed tier (100M or 300M) for less but doubt they will unless losing customers.

http://www.timewarnercable.com/en/about ... ernet.html
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

I want the uplink speed.

the middle tier seems popular with other systems being put in, I would bet Google comes up with one at some point.
bobbyhawks
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by bobbyhawks »

earthling wrote:TimeWarner is ready to rollout 300Mbps and digital TV upgrade in KC, starting next week. Is anyone at this point planning to stay with TWC or move back from GF? (Vote or change vote above). I got a flyer the other day for TV/phone/50Mbps for $80 first year, beware it goes up after that. That 50M speed will be upgraded to 200 with new rollout at no charge, but they have much slower uplink. There is an online deal for $90 TV/phone/100M that bumps up to 300 when available. I'm not moving back but good to see them competing. Would like to see Google offer a middle speed tier (100M or 300M) for less but doubt they will unless losing customers.

http://www.timewarnercable.com/en/about ... ernet.html
I'm willing to pay extra to never have to deal with TWC again. With TWC, I got a call almost every month asking me if I was happy, which made me very unhappy. My bill was a moving target, and they were constantly throwing limited time deals at me, knowing full well that I would forget my deal expires 12 months from getting it (where they probably make back the entire savings in a one or two month period). Basically, you have to constantly argue and complain (playing the game) to get a fair price, where with Google Fiber... I have the deal they offer. They offer it to everyone. With the number of devices I now have connected to the Internet, I couldn't imagine dropping in speed to 300Mbps to save a few hundred bucks, all the while getting to endure TWC again. The DVR and interface alone are reasons to stick with Google Fiber. They are so much better than I have seen with any implementation of TWC or AT&T U-Verse.