LiveKC! But DriveWV! (or Bannister)

KC topics that don't fit anywhere else.
smh
Supporter

LiveKC! But DriveWV! (or Bannister)

Post by smh »

I am wholly unimpressed by this effort. I maintain that if Cerner, as by far the largest company involved, truly wanted to "attract millennials" they would build a walkable urban campus and not these far-flung sprawlplexes. But Cliff Illig doesn't call me for advice--yet.

http://www.kansascity.com/2014/05/07/50 ... nt_refhome

Also, honest question: Do millennials play golf? I'm a millennial, apparently, and no one I know plays golf or owns clubs or has more than a middling interest in the sport .
brewcrew1000
Hotel President
Hotel President

Re: LiveKC! But DriveWV! (or Bannister)

Post by brewcrew1000 »

It says it intends to make the area more appealing to millennials not just the Urban Core. So they don't care if the young person lives over by Legends or an Amli Apartment in Overland Park. I don't understand how they want to recreate the 16th hole at PHX Open atmosphere, that is just a drunken frat party.

This is like the equivalent of rush to a frat expect its rushing cities/businesses not fraternities?

I think a Scavenger Hunt or something like that would be a little cooler.
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

awkward. manufactured culture will more likely be a turnoff for many.
smh
Supporter

Post by smh »

brewcrew1000 wrote:It says it intends to make the area more appealing to millennials not just the Urban Core. So they don't care if the young person lives over by Legends or an Amli Apartment in Overland Park. I don't understand how they want to recreate the 16th hole at PHX Open atmosphere, that is just a drunken frat party.

This is like the equivalent of rush to a frat expect its rushing cities/businesses not fraternities?

I think a Scavenger Hunt or something like that would be a little cooler.
I'm saying millennials want walkable urban environments. This doesn't necessarily mean dense downtown areas, but it does mean the ability to take transit (that is convenient, not a 1+ hr ride) and/or walk and bike. I know of several people who work for Cerner, some of whom started at the NKC campus but were later transferred to the Legends, who are quite dissatisfied with the location of their job despite otherwise liking Cerner.
grovester
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by grovester »

earthling wrote:awkward. manufactured culture will more likely be a turnoff for many.
The best marketing for this kind of thing would be no marketing. Organize it and let it spread word of mouth. Front page of the star just seems plain weird.
brewcrew1000
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by brewcrew1000 »

I know what your saying and agree, maybe these Healthcare Software companies need these campus type environments, Epic Software who is just like Cerner has over 6000 employees and is based in Verona WI which is like 15 miles from downtown Madison.

This is a quote from Netsmart that recently relocated to KC and was looking for a new office ""health care is not a big corporate environment, it's not a good downtown fit."

Maybe they to rethink that strategy if they want to keep and retain young people
Eon Blue
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by Eon Blue »

smh wrote:I am wholly unimpressed by this effort. I maintain that if Cerner, as by far the largest company involved, truly wanted to "attract millennials" they would build a walkable urban campus and not these far-flung sprawlplexes. But Cliff Illig doesn't call me for advice--yet.

http://www.kansascity.com/2014/05/07/50 ... nt_refhome

Also, honest question: Do millennials play golf? I'm a millennial, apparently, and no one I know plays golf or owns clubs or has more than a middling interest in the sport .
I read the same thing this morning, to much consternation. I don't have anything to add to your opening volley, besides confirming your golf observation--I own clubs and have a middling interest.
brewcrew1000 wrote:I know what your saying and agree, maybe these Healthcare Software companies need these campus type environments, Epic Software who is just like Cerner has over 6000 employees and is based in Verona WI which is like 15 miles from downtown Madison.

This is a quote from Netsmart that recently relocated to KC and was looking for a new office ""health care is not a big corporate environment, it's not a good downtown fit."

Maybe they to rethink that strategy if they want to keep and retain young people
I read the Netsmart thing as simply, "the bigwigs don't want to drive to downtown." How can they imply that a thriving, mixed-use downtown is more corporate than a monolithic, single-use suburban office park?

Many companies' offices followed leadership as the leadership moved their residences out of the city; hopefully soon we will see a reversal in that trend as younger urban dwellers age into leadership roles. Compared to housing, office location has historically lagged behind trends (with KC lagging even further behind the national average. :(
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by beautyfromashes »

Eon Blue wrote:Many companies' offices followed leadership as the leadership moved their residences out of the city; hopefully soon we will see a reversal in that trend as younger urban dwellers age into leadership roles.
I've thought this too, but it probably will take several decades for this to happen. If the oldest millennials were born in 1982 (32) it will take them awhile to reach a place of power enough to make those decisions.
TheBigChuckbowski
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by TheBigChuckbowski »

brewcrew1000 wrote:I know what your saying and agree, maybe these Healthcare Software companies need these campus type environments,
I don't know. This would work downtown if you replace the surface parking with a garage.

Zorobabel
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by Zorobabel »

Cerner wants the cheapest real estate, the most tax incentives, and the biggest parking lots it can find in the KC area.
pash
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by pash »

Last edited by pash on Fri Feb 10, 2017 12:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

I like the LiveKC thing but yeah pretty funny considering their real actions.
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

grovester wrote:
earthling wrote:awkward. manufactured culture will more likely be a turnoff for many.
The best marketing for this kind of thing would be no marketing. Organize it and let it spread word of mouth. Front page of the star just seems plain weird.
+1
Eon Blue
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by Eon Blue »

TheBigChuckbowski wrote:I don't know. This would work downtown if you replace the surface parking with a garage.

Properly sited, I'd take them in a heartbeat.
chaglang
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by chaglang »

Mike Hurd, marketing director for the Downtown Council, which has launched its own initiative to attract millennials through a program called “tactical urbanism,” said his agency fully embraces the LiveKC initiative.
Shoutout to officially sanctioned guerrilla urbanism!
smh
Supporter

Post by smh »

A nice article from the Guardian on Amazon's new Seattle HQ. It is a brilliant contrast to the direction Cerner has taken in KC while the East Village sits waiting.

Amazon's new downtown Seattle HQ: victory for the city over suburbia?
rxlexi
Penntower
Penntower

Post by rxlexi »

Anybody attending the Fiery Stick Open? I'll be in StL but would absolutely check it out if I was in town...love the idea of a pop-up country club activating that big expanse of front lawn at Liberty Memorial. Also, beer pong and bocce ball!

https://fierystickopen.splashthat.com/
bobbyhawks
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by bobbyhawks »

rxlexi wrote:Anybody attending the Fiery Stick Open? I'll be in StL but would absolutely check it out if I was in town...love the idea of a pop-up country club activating that big expanse of front lawn at Liberty Memorial. Also, beer pong and bocce ball!

https://fierystickopen.splashthat.com/
I am skeptical but will be there, because free tickets.
grovester
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by grovester »

I believe I am too old for the target demographic, but I wish it all the best!
pstokely
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by pstokely »

I guess they expect them to eventually buy houses in the suburbs when their kids reach grade school