Hotel President

Re: Layoffs at The Star

Post by WoodDraw »

earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

Nice, hopefully the parking lot mentioned is also developed even if just a garage with streetfront retail.
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

I'd also develop the parking lot facing E. 18th and McGee.

A big get would be the Locust St. parking lot. It's big enough to have a below-grade garage and apartments above. If one could assemble it with the parking lot to the south clear to E. 18th Street, one could put in a pretty large apartment building with some retail facing 18th Street, and provide a good number of parking spaces below grade.

http://tinyurl.com/moqzwrq
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

FangKC wrote:I'd also develop the parking lot facing E. 18th and McGee.

A big get would be the Locust St. parking lot. It's big enough to have a below-grade garage and apartments above. If one could assemble it with the parking lot to the south clear to E. 18th Street, one could put in a pretty large apartment building with some retail facing 18th Street, and provide a good number of parking spaces below grade.

http://tinyurl.com/moqzwrq
that series of lots is three companies

Crossroads East, the paper and the south one a bank holds in trust, goes with the brewery
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

Sold! https://www.bizjournals.com/kansascity/ ... ch-42.html
Bryant said that his partnership, 1729 Grand LLC, is investigating several redevelopment opportunities for the headquarters property, which besides the two adjoining buildings that make up the headquarters includes surface lots of 44,000 square feet to the south and 35,000 square feet to the north of the buildings.

Bryant said his group is talking to hotel groups about potentially developing on one of the lots. It is exploring the possibility of building a 600-space garage on the other to serve the site's new users and provide additional parking for the surrounding Crossroads Arts District.

The developers also are looking at several options for the buildings, including as much as 180,000 square feet of office, which is twice the volume 3D Development and co-developer Copaken Brooks helped create in the Corrigan Building.
pash
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by pash »

longviewmo
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by longviewmo »

Star editor now in charge of four newsrooms, continuing hollowing-out of smaller operations. https://www.bizjournals.com/kansascity/ ... annin.html
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

The Kansas City Star is donating its' news clippings morgue to the Miller Nichols Library at UMKC.

The Star’s clips – generations of news – donated for public use at UMKC
The Kansas City Star has donated its morgue — generations of news clippings on individuals and subjects — making them directly available to the public through the University of Missouri-Kansas City.

http://www.kansascity.com/news/business ... 62389.html
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

The Star’s circulation continues to sink…It offers a new online product
Between June 30, 2017, and June 30, 2018, home delivery of the Sunday Star fell by nearly 13 percent, from 92,247 copies to 80,444 copies.

During the same period, home delivery of the Monday-Friday Star dropped by slightly more than 16 percent, from 74,660 to 62,470.

In addition, the much-touted — and highly hoped for — transition from print to digital wheezes along, with The Star reporting slightly less than 7,700 stand-alone, digital subscriptions.
https://jimmycsays.com/2018/08/23/the-s ... e-product/
smh
Supporter

Post by smh »

I really want to subscribe to the Star but I just haven't been able to pull the trigger. I value local coverage but every time I pick up a copy of the paper it is thin, mostly car ads and reprints from Wapo and NYT. I want deep local coverage that they simply aren't offering anymore. It's a vicious cycle to be sure. This $3 sports product is sure to cannibalize a decent chunk of the remaining base.
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

I wonder how many unique web hits per day.
grovester
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by grovester »

smh wrote: Fri Aug 24, 2018 4:50 pm I really want to subscribe to the Star but I just haven't been able to pull the trigger. I value local coverage but every time I pick up a copy of the paper it is thin, mostly car ads and reprints from Wapo and NYT. I want deep local coverage that they simply aren't offering anymore. It's a vicious cycle to be sure. This $3 sports product is sure to cannibalize a decent chunk of the remaining base.
If you subscribe to the digital addition it doesn't seem as thin! I'm OK with their local coverage. While maybe not every day, they do some in depth features on a weekly/monthly basis. In this time of history I feel it's my obligation to subscribe.
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

Ditto the digital subscription. I wish it meant there were no ads, but you really should support local print because the TV people are vacuous and incapable of anything more than a few talking heads and police scanner retreads.
maison rustique
Pad site
Pad site

Post by maison rustique »

We still subscribe, but let it lapse for a couple of weeks because the cost had gone up so much. We knew if we waited, they would come up with a deal to re-subscribe and sure enough they did. Home delivery costs way too much for what it is and the distributors they use are the worst. It has gotten better for us, but I used to have to call at least 4 days each week to report non-delivery. And you sit on hold for nearly an hour if you have to call.

I was just looking...a 26 week home delivery subscription to KC Star is $4.86/week; home delivery of Los Angeles Times is $4.99/week. And the LA Times is at least twice the size of this one, with actual staff instead of 80% of it being picked up off wire service.

We argue about it constantly. My husband reads 4 or 5 newspapers online every day. I prefer to get my hands black with ink while reading it over the cat in my lap and sipping my coffee.
WoodDraw
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by WoodDraw »

The problem for the star is that there is just better coverage online now than what they provide. You have Kevin Collison reporting on city issues, the athletic hiring all the best sports reporters, and twitter to fill in the gaps. I'd love to pay them, but I'm getting better coverage other places for things I care about.
herrfrank
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by herrfrank »

FangKC wrote: Fri Aug 24, 2018 2:28 pm
Between June 30, 2017, and June 30, 2018, home delivery of the Sunday Star fell by nearly 13 percent, from 92,247 copies to 80,444 copies.

During the same period, home delivery of the Monday-Friday Star dropped by slightly more than 16 percent, from 74,660 to 62,470.

In addition, the much-touted — and highly hoped for — transition from print to digital wheezes along, with The Star reporting slightly less than 7,700 stand-alone, digital subscriptions.

https://jimmycsays.com/2018/08/23/the-s ... e-product/
These are really bad numbers. Like death-knell bad.

A broadsheet serving a metro of 2 million plus should be in the 150,000 to 250,000 subscriber range. Even my previous hometown paper, the slender Hartford Courant manages 155,000 Sunday subscribers with a county population of less than one million. My current hometown paper, the Palm Beach Post, does 150,000 daily and more on weekends. These are smaller metro areas.

I didn't realize the numbers had fallen that far.
brewcrew1000
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by brewcrew1000 »

They are smaller Metros but they probably have older aging populations that grew up only knowing Newspapers. I guarantee Palm Beach has a sizebale old people population
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

I predict the Star will soon go to a weekly Sunday printed paper, and update daily online.
JLowe2018
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by JLowe2018 »

As well as those are largely more affluent areas you mentioned. I don’t think your typical middle class person around here is gonna be too interested in shelling out the money for a paper subscription when there’s all those other free or “free” methods of media and information that were mentioned too.

IMHO: Unfortunately, a newspaper paper subscription is now truly becoming a luxury, discretionary spending item rather than the informative necessity it used to be.
bobbyhawks
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by bobbyhawks »

They have two options. Race to the bottom by cutting costs when the margins won't do, or provide a better product. They have done zero to provide a better product in the last 10+ years, so they are left with dropping elements until they are left with very little to provide. There is no saving this paper unless someone buys it and completely transforms it. Small bumps in any direction won't do a thing.