American Royal leaders propose tearing down Kemper

KC topics that don't fit anywhere else.
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Re: American Royal leaders propose tearing down Kemper

Post by FangKC »

Bill Haw, owner of the Livestock Exchange Building, said today on the KCUR Central Standard program, on a broadcast about the history of Kemper Arena, that one of the biggest downfalls for Kemper and the American Royal was when the American Royal stopped trying to appeal to spectators with big public events and draws (musical acts, etc.). He also indicated it was the beginning of the decline of the American Royal itself. He cited the decline in attendance at Royal events.

Kaw supports the Foutch Brothers plan to repurpose the arena for youth sports, and then build a new American Royal facility on the surface parking lot in the area.

The program will be posted at some point.

http://kcur.org/programs/central-standard
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

FangKC wrote:Bill Haw, owner of the Livestock Exchange Building, said today on the KCUR Central Standard program, on a broadcast about the history of Kemper Arena, that one of the biggest downfalls for Kemper and the American Royal was when the American Royal stopped trying to appeal to spectators with big public events and draws (musical acts, etc.). He also indicated it was the beginning of the decline of the American Royal itself. He cited the decline in attendance at Royal events.

Kaw supports the Foutch Brothers plan to repurpose the arena for youth sports, and then build a new American Royal facility on the surface parking lot in the area.

The program will be posted at some point.

http://kcur.org/programs/central-standard
Interesting take. I bet you could say the same thing about the State Fair. Music, carnival would be the two draws for most people.

Both my parents and my wife have mentioned going to a music event at the fair They have never once mentioned going to see the animals. Which ironically is why I want to go this year (depends on our schedule), to take photos of animals.

After all, how many people here have been to any county fair? They have much the same personal interest events as the American Royal (as in if you like horses you're apt to look into both kinds of events)
aknowledgeableperson
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by aknowledgeableperson »

The American Royal dropped most of the musical acts because of the cost. The cheaper acts no one wants to see. The acts people want to see became too expensive. Crown Center faced the same issue.
The AR's best year for entertainment was 1977. Kenny Rogers, Crystal Gayle, and Dolly Parton. All were signed months before, before they became hot.
im2kull
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by im2kull »

I just don't get the thinking behind wanting to tear down a full-fledged arena that exceeds what you need, to build a building that meets what you need but provides nothing more. It eliminates the possibility of growth. Why would anyone pay more, for less?

The answer: "Anyone" wouldn't. Someone who will personally benefit from it (IE: NOT the city) would. Lining pockets is the motivator behind most things. Unfortunately.
taxi
Penntower
Penntower

Post by taxi »

aknowledgeableperson wrote:... Kenny Rogers, Crystal Gayle, and Dolly Parton...
You got to know when to hold 'em.
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

im2kull wrote:I just don't get the thinking behind wanting to tear down a full-fledged arena that exceeds what you need, to build a building that meets what you need but provides nothing more. It eliminates the possibility of growth. Why would anyone pay more, for less?
it's quite simple, operating costs.
LenexatoKCMO
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by LenexatoKCMO »

flyingember wrote:
im2kull wrote:I just don't get the thinking behind wanting to tear down a full-fledged arena that exceeds what you need, to build a building that meets what you need but provides nothing more. It eliminates the possibility of growth. Why would anyone pay more, for less?
Yeah but what is the real world delta between operating costs of Kemper vs. a new smaller arena. Several Millions of $$? I doubt it. I think there are agendas at play.
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

LenexatoKCMO wrote:
flyingember wrote:
Yeah but what is the real world delta between operating costs of Kemper vs. a new smaller arena. Several Millions of $$? I doubt it. I think there are agendas at play.
the entire american royal center has a $1.9 million operations budget for this fiscal year with a staff of 4.

the difference certainly depends on the scope of events held there. it's possible that if a new arena were busier that it would have a higher budget with higher income to account. but I don't really expect that to happen
aknowledgeableperson
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by aknowledgeableperson »

The answer: "Anyone" wouldn't. Someone who will personally benefit from it (IE: NOT the city) would. Lining pockets is the motivator behind most things. Unfortunately.
From what I can gather there is way more to this than size. Think of the old multipurpose stadiums that were built in the 70's and later. They worked but they had shortcomings for one sport or the other and some for both. Kemper is an arena built for hockey and basketball with horse shows and rodeos coming in a lower priority. The current floor is a few dozen feet below grade meaning the show horses have to go down two ramps to get to the floor. The 'possible' new floor would be at grade. Other accommodations would be included to make the arena more for AR type of shows than bb and hockey.
For the AR, Kemper is not an arena that doesn't meet what the AR needs.
loftguy
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by loftguy »

aknowledgeableperson wrote:

From what I can gather there is way more to this than size. Think of the old multipurpose stadiums that were built in the 70's and later. They worked but they had shortcomings for one sport or the other and some for both. Kemper is an arena built for hockey and basketball with horse shows and rodeos coming in a lower priority. The current floor is a few dozen feet below grade meaning the show horses have to go down two ramps to get to the floor. The 'possible' new floor would be at grade. Other accommodations would be included to make the arena more for AR type of shows than bb and hockey.
For the AR, Kemper is not an arena that doesn't meet what the AR needs.
If all this is true, coupled with their stated need for a smaller facility, then retrofit by raising the floor level and cut at grade entries to the floor.
im2kull
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by im2kull »

What he said ^

Not to mention this: Since when did the AR become who WE pander to? They, the private organizations of the world, are supposed to pander to the people and cities for business. Not the other way around it. Kemper is perfectly useful, but we need someone willing to manage it ..to manage it. Not the AR, who we sold that redicoulous lease to for $1 a year. Kemper was still well booked after the Sprint Center opened, up until the point that we handed the reigns of Kemper AND SC to AEG. They proceeded to run ransack Kempers image while stealing all of it's business to prop up the SC. Needless to say the SC didn't need to be propped up. If memory serves me right AEG has also managed to weasel it's way out of paying the $10 million per year fee that they were originally required to pay if the SC didn't obtain a professional sports team (NBA or NHL).
shinatoo
Ambassador

Post by shinatoo »

If the lease is $1 isn't the max liability for breaking the lease $1?
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

shinatoo wrote:If the lease is $1 isn't the max liability for breaking the lease $1?
not necessarily.

you can write in penalties for a lease. imagine the city wanted to redevelop somewhere and they used a great private science museum as a central piece, they give them the $1/year terms. but the museum has performance or time requirements. if the city decides to pull the plug maybe they have to fund a new facility for the museum to move into. if the museum closes maybe the city gets to keep some of the exhibits for a temp showing in another building, the building and stuff inside becomes the city's

the city is expecting to make money off sales taxes from the area so breaking the least has very real financial effects.
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

If I recall what was said by Bill Kaw on the KCUR radio show, AEG has a management contract that states all concerts and events have to be referred first to Sprint Center. So, even if Kemper has a different management company booking events, all interested parties must be referred to AEG and Sprint Center first.
mean
Administrator
Administrator

Post by mean »

LenexatoKCMO wrote:
aknowledgeableperson wrote:And the BBQ isn't?
Its only two nights and you can only cram so many people into that event. I am dreaming bigger. Put on a SXSW scale music festival throughout the city. Book headliner commercial country acts to play both the arenas throughout the week. On non-BBQ nights, operate a carnival, beer garden, and more music around the Royal venues. Close streets in Westport/P&L for more street party. Make the parade a bigger deal than it has been in the past.
pash wrote:I want to see some fucking cows meandering through the streets. Not a parade, just a bunch of cows walking around downtown. I mean, really: set up a lawn chair and your smoker on the sidewalk, kick back with a Boulevard, and watch the cows stroll by. How could that be anything but fantastic?
How can we make this happen!? It would be amazing. A citywide street party and music festival complete with a humorous parody of the running of the bulls... the walking of the cows through city streets? Does it even have to be related to the AR at this point?
pash
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by pash »

Last edited by pash on Fri Feb 10, 2017 8:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mean
Administrator
Administrator

Post by mean »

Well, I know a guy out by Lone Jack with a small herd... doubt he'd be willing to transport it to the city and let it roam the streets. Can you rent livestock for something like this? Frankly, the thought had never occurred to me before.
rxlexi
Penntower
Penntower

Post by rxlexi »

Exactly. An annual strolling of the cows seems just KC's speed.
This is amazing. How do we make it happen? American Royal needs a big kick in the pants and I'm digging the ideas put forth, but this really takes the cake.

Also, I might be one of the few the doesn't mind the idea of a Kemper tear down and AR rebuild IF and only IF it creates a beautiful new agricultural facility that will grow the status of the AR significantly. I want to see this city re-embrace it's agricultural roots. At the least, c'mon now, everyone loves the BBQ and many love country music (look at Hot Country Nites at P&L), seem like a few no-brainers to use to take the whole event to the next level.

That said, I am totally open to and would probably prefer keeping Kemper if the right plan came along.
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

Looks like the American Royal is trying to steal the Foutch Brothers thunder.

American Royal claims progress toward a new building
As the Kansas City Council prepares to decide the fate of Kemper Arena, American Royal leaders disclosed two breakthroughs Wednesday that they say strengthen their case for demolition and a new building.

The organization said it has surpassed its goal of raising $10 million toward a new facility to replace Kemper Arena, and it has a verbal agreement with Sporting Kansas City’s investor group to fill the building with youth sports when it’s not occupied with agricultural events.
http://www.kansascity.com/news/local/article743341.html
im2kull
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by im2kull »

It's actually more sad than comical to watch KC blow itself to bits from far away. 99.9% of the people living there, while realizing what a unique city they have, take NO initiative to support it and maintain it. Worse yet, they simply go along with any money grabbing scheme that comes along the way...even if it's stealing money from their own (Ignorant) pockets and ruining the thing they take pride in. KC is quickly becoming a generic, downtrodden American city. Sad.

'Merica