Fairway vs. Waldo

KC topics that don't fit anywhere else.
chrizow
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: Fairway vs. Waldo

Post by chrizow »

bobbyhawks wrote: Hate to continue off-topic, but wouldn't someone from Waldo have to take tests and be accepted into Lincoln Prep?  SM East was also in the top 2% in the country along with Lincoln, and all you have to do is live in the borders.  And to say that any of the top 500 schools are "significantly" better is ridiculous.  There are, according to sketchy internet sources, 27.5k high schools in the country.  Measuring school quality isn't exactly like looking at baseball stats either, so I doubt that school #500 is really that much worse than school #1.  I get that Lincoln is an amazing school, but I can't stand this need to discount JOCO and the hatred for Kansas.  Lincoln is ranked better.  From all accounts, they deserve it and are likely a better school.  But don't act like SME is some hack school in comparison.
i don't think anyone is saying that SME is some sort of hack school.  it's clearly a great school.  it's just that folks living in KCMO also have at least one great option for high school in lincoln prep.  and, yes, you have to test in to it, but i don't think it's like getting in to harvard.  i don't have any way to measure this, but based on ACT scores and whatnot from Lincoln i would guess that a somewhat above-average student would be able to test into Lincoln.  

SME, BVN, etc. are no doubt good schools, but their students' extremely high overall performance is likely more due to the homogenously wealthy/educated population they serve vs. any magical curricula or amazing teachers there.  that lincoln prep can achieve the same or better results with a much more economically diverse population is amazing.

i'll also throw out there that Acadamie Lafayette is a great option in KCMO.  sure, there is a lottery process to get in, but it's still a good possibility for people and an asset to the BKS/Waldo area.  i don't understand why it's such a bad thing to share this information after people predictably and robotically recite the ZOMG JOCO SCHOOLS!! mantra time and again.
Last edited by chrizow on Tue Jun 28, 2011 3:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
KC_JAYHAWK
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by KC_JAYHAWK »

I was halfway expecting this to get into a KS vs. MO debate but not school districts  :?  Oh well, I still can't decide.  :-k  Not that I have to make a decision soon.
THE KID KEPT ONLY TWO COLORS IN HIS CRAYON BOX.....ONE RED……THE OTHER BLUE!
WSPanic
Supporter

Post by WSPanic »

chrizow wrote: i don't think anyone is saying that SME is some sort of hack school.  it's clearly a great school.  it's just that folks living in KCMO also have at least one great option for high school in lincoln prep.  and, yes, you have to test in to it, but i don't think it's like getting in to harvard.  i don't have any way to measure this, but based on ACT scores and whatnot from Lincoln i would guess that a somewhat above-average student would be able to test into Lincoln.  

SME, BVN, etc. are no doubt good schools, but their students' extremely high overall performance is likely more due to the homogenously wealthy/educated population they serve vs. any magical curricula or amazing teachers there.  that lincoln prep can achieve the same or better results with a much more economically diverse population is amazing.

i'll also throw out there that Acadamie Lafayette is a great option in KCMO.  sure, there is a lottery process to get in, but it's still a good possibility for people and an asset to the BKS/Waldo area.  i don't understand why it's such a bad thing to share this information after people predictably and robotically recite the ZOMG JOCO SCHOOLS!! mantra time and again.
Obviously, the board Lancers (myself included) took the other post in the worst possible way. LP is a great school and, as a KCMO resident, I hope it serves as an example all other KCMO schools can follow. In reality, though, I don't think it's wrong to say Fairway is a better choice than Waldo if a quality high school education is your top prority.
If it doesn't have street-level retail, it's an abortion.
chrizow
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by chrizow »

WSPanic wrote: Obviously, the board Lancers (myself included) took the other post in the worst possible way. LP is a great school and, as a KCMO resident, I hope it serves as an example all other KCMO schools can follow. In reality, though, I don't think it's wrong to say Fairway is a better choice than Waldo if a quality high school education is your top prority.
there is nothing wrong with fairway or SME.  it is just tiresome to hear the same anti-KCMO arguments made again and again when, in reality, thousands of KCMO kids are receiving adequate-to-excellent educations in a number of settings.  

plus, one can live within walking distance of excellent private schools in KCMO and the difference in the cost of comparable real estate, related taxes, transportation expenses, etc. between a home in fairway/PV and KCMO would pay for tuition for at least one child at all but the most ritzy schools.    

of course, if you mention these realities to a joco booster (not nec. on this board) it would be like you just pushed their grandmother down a staircase.
WSPanic
Supporter

Post by WSPanic »

chrizow wrote: there is nothing wrong with fairway or SME.  it is just tiresome to hear the same anti-KCMO arguments made again and again when, in reality, thousands of KCMO kids are receiving adequate-to-excellent educations in a number of settings.  

plus, one can live within walking distance of excellent private schools in KCMO and the difference in the cost of comparable real estate, related taxes, transportation expenses, etc. between a home in fairway/PV and KCMO would pay for tuition for at least one child at all but the most ritzy schools.    

of course, if you mention these realities to a joco booster (not nec. on this board) it would be like you just pushed their grandmother down a staircase.
You were acting like a normal person there for a minute and then had to start chanelling GRID and MO Man.

You could say the same thing about Northland people (who are even more separatist than JoCo), Lee's Summit or Blue Springs. But you don't. The JoCo persecution complex on this board is insane.
If it doesn't have street-level retail, it's an abortion.
KC_JAYHAWK
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by KC_JAYHAWK »

I can't wait to read Grid's viewpoint :).  
chrizow
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by chrizow »

WSPanic wrote: You were acting like a normal person there for a minute and then had to start chanelling GRID and MO Man.

You could say the same thing about Northland people (who are even more separatist than JoCo), Lee's Summit or Blue Springs. But you don't. The JoCo persecution complex on this board is insane.
no, i agree that the same could be said to your average anti-KCMO lee's summit or northland resident who believes that sending your kids to school in KCMO is like marching them into fallujah.  

however, it is absolutely true that JoCo folks are even more fervently evangelical about their schools.  i have had people from olathe or OP look me straight in the eye and tell me that the schools are "the best in the country."  i would bet $500 that no one in the history of lee's summit or the park hill district have said this about their own schools.
bobbyhawks
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by bobbyhawks »

WSPanic wrote: Obviously, the board Lancers (myself included) took the other post in the worst possible way. LP is a great school and, as a KCMO resident, I hope it serves as an example all other KCMO schools can follow. In reality, though, I don't think it's wrong to say Fairway is a better choice than Waldo if a quality high school education is your top prority.
Full disclosure.  I have to admit that I am a Lancer as well, and I know teachers who work there currently.  I am also a KCMO resident and am extremely proud of Lincoln Prep and the possibilities for the future of the district.

As for Lincoln, I estimate there to be around 5k high school students in KCMO, so Lincoln gives you approximately a 1 in 5 shot without considering placement exams.  If you are smarter than 80% of the district, I'm just guessing that you have a near 100% shot.
chrizow wrote: there is nothing wrong with fairway or SME.  it is just tiresome to hear the same anti-KCMO arguments made again and again when, in reality, thousands of KCMO kids are receiving adequate-to-excellent educations in a number of settings.
Again, I live in KCMO.  I love that Lincoln Prep is an amazing school in my district (no kids though to worry about for me at the moment).  My preference in this argument is probably for the Waldo area, but the disdain for things in Kansas is sometimes overwhelming here.  So perhaps I overreacted to the "fact"-based assertion that Lincoln is "significantly" better.  They are both great schools.  They aren't the only great schools around.  Nobody need get defensive trying to convince people they are better than everyone else.  That is what the idiotic Blue Ribbon award is for.
chrizow
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by chrizow »

as proof that i am not an anti-JoCo KC-homer like MoMan or GRID, i will throw out there that, for the right house, we would move to fairway or wherever and enjoy the fruits of the SME area.  moreover, you could not pay me to move to 98% of the northland or any part of suburban east Jax.
Last edited by chrizow on Tue Jun 28, 2011 4:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
kcmetro
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by kcmetro »

Both those houses are very nice.  I'd opt for the one with more bedrooms, especially since the 2BR house in Waldo is priced 25k higher.  But I think the exterior of the Waldo house looks a little nicer.  I'd just go with your gut and ask yourself which house you like better overall, and try to forget about the city it's in.  I imagine both neighborhoods are fairly safe.  Tough decision.
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

We looked at Fairway for about five minutes, but one of the biggest turnoffs for us at least was that there is a friggin state highway running right past your neighborhood.
SAVE THE PLAZA - FROM ZOMBIES! Find out how at:

http://twitter.com/TheKCRag
slimwhitman
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by slimwhitman »

Full disclosure: I have always lived in the SM district.  That said, I'd pick the Waldo house (if you have no school-age kids planned for the next few years). 

That funky (cheap) little zone of Fairway (Mission Highlands) is full of weirdness.  You have lots of young couples in their first house, some singles, some retirees, and some homebound nerdy freaks that collect star wars figures and cannot keep their grass mowed and roof gutters clean.  Mission Highland houses tend to be overpriced because they are insulated by the expensive big homes around them.

If you work downtown and don't need a car while there, the Waldo transit option is the winner for me.  As with any house purchase, visit with the next door neighbors before you sign on the dotted line.  A sh!tty neighbor can make life hell.
KC_JAYHAWK
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by KC_JAYHAWK »

I just need to go with my gut and not be concerned about what everybody else thinks (not implying this thread because I asked for feedback).  Unfortunately for me, I'm a single guy, late 30's that has a lot of female friends that love everything PV or Fairway and can't understand why I would even consider Waldo.  Ugghhh, I just want a nice tudor or bungalow that doesn't need a ton of work....I've done the whole "house re-model" when I had my tudor in RP for 5.5 years and don't want to spend my weekends and weeknights repairing/replacing everything for the next 2-3 years.  The cheaper tudors in Waldo ($130k-$150k) I've looked at look great from the outside, but need a ton of work inside.  I just don't want to do that again, hence I am looking for a home that is mostly re-modeled and needs little upkeep.  Okay, I feel better now :)
SAC
Pad site
Pad site

Post by SAC »

As yet another Lancer (3 in one thread!), it took a lot of restraint for me to not comment on the "fact" that Lincoln is a better school than SME.   :D

That said, I don't think anyone on this forum would really criticize you for going with the Waldo option.  
pstokely
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by pstokely »

WSPanic wrote: There are plenty of Waldo parents that are scared to death to send their kids to Lincoln Prep. It's still 21st/Woodland - regardless of where it's ranked.
and not white enough for some people
KC_JAYHAWK
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by KC_JAYHAWK »

Well I'm going to look at both of them again tomorrow evening and a few others so we shall see.  I SUCK at making these decisions and you all are confusing the hell out of me :)  Thanks for all the feedback..keep it coming.
aknowledgeableperson
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by aknowledgeableperson »

You started in the right direction by doing the plusses and minusses of each location now you just need to decide which items are more or less important.  Yes you got some feedback but in the end it is your decision to make so make sure you consider what items are important TO YOU.
And before you make a final decision look at your choices and decide which house you like the best.  You will spend more time in the house and yard than you will in the neighborhood.

Now, for the final decision.  Put it all the info and feelings together and go with your gut as to which is the best choice for you.  And let the others fight it out another time as to whether Kansas or Missouri is the best choice.
I may be right.  I may be wrong.  But there is a lot of gray area in-between.
KC0KEK
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by KC0KEK »

KC_JAYHAWK wrote: Reasons I don't like Fairway:
- less walkable
I used to live a block away from the Catalina house you're considering. It's a surprisingly walkable and bikeable area. The PV Shopping Center, Fairway Shops and the Johnson Drive-Martway areas are less than 30 minutes on foot. Roeland Park stuff, such as the library branch, is about 15 minutes by bike.

PM me if you want more info about the Mission Highlands neighborhood, which is where the Catalina house is.
kclofter
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by kclofter »

What is it that you do inside the house?  What is it that you do _outside_ of the house?  How many hours each?  Which has a more meaningful livability factor for you?  Consider taking the time and write down _the details_ of how you live, when you do it, how long you do it, what you do on weekdays/weekends/holidays, etc.  Do you have family/friends over? How often? How long? What do you do? What is the flow?  How long are they there?

I planned our reno down to the individual activities that occurred in each area of the house and then designed accordingly.  ie, foyer - not much time spent there - mostly, meeting occasional arriving and departing guests.  Remainder of the time, it sat unused.  Secondly, dining room got used 6 times per year (2 major holidays and a few dinners) for 3 hours each. Jeez, 18 hours a year - for a whole room??!  Office, bedroom, media room and kitchen got used a whole lot more.  We found that when we entertained, we always were in the kitchen.  Guess where the majority of time/space/$$  were devoted in the condo reno?

Houses are about time, motion, activities and comfort - neighborhoods tend to be similar.  What you _think_ you might do and what you _actually_ do, may be totally different.

PM me if you want a copy of the detailed list as a place to start.
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

I choose Waldo, just because I could never ever say that I live in Kansas or drive around the country with Kansas plates.  Just can't do it. :).

But Fairway is nice.  I like Fairway.

I thought about you guys yesterday when I saw this fat tourist looking dude walking near galleryplace subway station in chinatown with a very ugly bright blue KU tshirt on and a giant jayhawk on the front.  He was really classing it up!  I wish I had taken a photo!  :mrgreen:

chrizow, I have never thought of you as a kansas hater at all.  Actually, I have always thought you were more of a closet JoCo fan.  You will end up out there someday when you have kids.  I'll bet you a gates mixed plate on that one.  (sorry, no okjoes) ;)