Google picks KCK/KCMO for ultra fast fiber network

KC topics that don't fit anywhere else.
heatherkay
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Re: Google picks KCK/KCMO for ultra fast fiber network

Post by heatherkay »

I got the free service and found that it was giving me upload and download speeds that were pretty much identical to my DSL service. I live by myself, so not competing with a bunch of other users, but I've found that I'm able to stream Hulu or Netflix and still do a little light internet surfing, with no noticeable slowdown or unusual buffering. The Gig would certainly improve my streaming, but I'm not sure if I'll still be in this house in a year, so the contract didn't seem worth it.
KCtonic
New York Life
New York Life

Post by KCtonic »

heatherkay wrote:I got the free service and found that it was giving me upload and download speeds that were pretty much identical to my DSL service. I live by myself, so not competing with a bunch of other users, but I've found that I'm able to stream Hulu or Netflix and still do a little light internet surfing, with no noticeable slowdown or unusual buffering. The Gig would certainly improve my streaming, but I'm not sure if I'll still be in this house in a year, so the contract didn't seem worth it.
Interesting. Could you post a screen print of a speedtest with your service. I'm just curious on how it compares - especially the upload speed.

Thanks!
heatherkay
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by heatherkay »

I'll do it when I get home. Upload wasn't great, but I don't really need it to be. When I say the numbers were nearly identical, I mean that. It looks like they've choked the free service to match DSL.
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

For the 'free' 5Mbps service the upload is only 1Mpbs. Would be interesting to see the real world result but I'd think it would be able to maintain close to 1. Heather, please try http://www.speedtest.net and post results.
Last edited by earthling on Thu Nov 14, 2013 10:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
KCtonic
New York Life
New York Life

Post by KCtonic »

heatherkay wrote:I'll do it when I get home. Upload wasn't great, but I don't really need it to be. When I say the numbers were nearly identical, I mean that. It looks like they've choked the free service to match DSL.
Thanks! That's honestly pretty impressive still. If one can afford the install cost it's quite a deal.
heatherkay
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by heatherkay »

$25 a month is still much, much less than I was paying for DSL
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

OK, so this is a cool way to get an indication how many are using Google fiber compared to TWC.

This site shows Ookla speedtests (speedtest.net) and report the unique IP addresses for each ISP by city. In KCK, Google has surpassed TimeWarner in unique users who ran tests lately. And Gfiber rollout is nowhere near complete...

KCK...
http://www.netindex.com/download/4,1057 ... ity/?tab=3

Here is KCMO..
http://www.netindex.com/download/4,158/ ... ity/?tab=3

Google shows about 1500 tests in KCMO, TWC shows about 10K. Given that Gfiber is only available in Central KCMO so far and TWC is available in all of KCMO, TWC might be around 3300 tests in central KCMO. Considering Google is not nearly complete with central KCMO rollout, is plausible to highly likely they will pass up TWC.
bobbyhawks
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by bobbyhawks »

earthling wrote:OK, so this is a cool way to get an indication how many are using Google fiber compared to TWC.

This site shows Ookla speedtests (speedtest.net) and report the unique IP addresses for each ISP by city. In KCK, Google has surpassed TimeWarner in unique users who ran tests lately. And Gfiber rollout is nowhere near complete...

KCK...
http://www.netindex.com/download/4,1057 ... ity/?tab=3

Here is KCMO..
http://www.netindex.com/download/4,158/ ... ity/?tab=3

Google shows about 1500 tests in KCMO, TWC shows about 10K. Given that Gfiber is only available in Central KCMO so far and TWC is available in all of KCMO, TWC might be around 3300 tests in central KCMO. Considering Google is not nearly complete with central KCMO rollout, is plausible to highly likely they will pass up TWC.
I could be wrong, but I think those Google numbers could be a bit low in comparison. Google's speeds are not actually measurable by speedtest.net as there is actually a bottleneck on their end with testing a 1 gig connection (so sayeth Google). Google claims that the only way to test their connection is through speedtest.googlefiber.net. Then again, the Google numbers could also be partially inflated by a higher number of people who know what speedtest.net actually is.

https://support.google.com/fiber/answer/2476956?hl=en
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

I was more focused on the count of users than the speed. Given that Google has its own speedtest, many of them aren't using Ookla either. The avg of around 300Mbps makes sense though as many have the 5Mbps service and also many with Gbit have older computers and most older Wifi/NICs can only do about 300Mbps if that.

Is still probably a good _indicator_ of uptake. Is interesting Google passed up TWC with testers in KCK.
pash
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by pash »

Last edited by pash on Thu Feb 09, 2017 8:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
TheBigChuckbowski
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by TheBigChuckbowski »

I don't think that means anything. Most people getting Google are probably testing their speed (like I did multiple times on multiple devices) whereas I can't remember the last time I went to speedtest.net when I had TWC internet.
KCtonic
New York Life
New York Life

Post by KCtonic »

If anyone missed out signing up for Google Fiber before their fiberhood's deadline, Google Fiber is offering another chance over the next month.

http://googlefiberblog.blogspot.com/201 ... ansas.html
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

We also have some news for those of you who are in areas that haven’t been able to get Fiber yet. In March, folks in Kansas City, North, South Kansas City, Mo, Gladstone, Grandview and Raytown will be able to start signing up for Google Fiber. Just like our first wave of sign-ups, we’ll divide these areas into small sections called “fiberhoods.” In each fiberhood, a certain percentage of homes will need to sign up for service in order to qualify their area for Google Fiber — so get ready to rally your neighbors! We’ll have more info to share (along with a map of the fiberhoods) in the beginning of 2014.
Eon Blue
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by Eon Blue »

bobbyhawks wrote:
PumpkinStalker wrote:Not to turn this into a tech help blog, but I can get connected for about a minute, then it loses VPN and has to reconnect, then again, and again. It happens regardless of WiFi or plug in.

As for the network equipment, I don't have any big problems. The installer did say the box projects in an arc out in front of it. Our main living room is at the back of the house and the tv faces the backyard. He noted that it's ugly, but ideally we need to have the router/network box turned around to face the rest of the house. Otherwise we get great wireless in our backyard and crappy in the house. So sitting on the couch we have to look at all the wires and flashy lights which isn't as pretty but it's not that big of a deal. I also saw on the "known issues" on the Google page that some people report interference between the network box and the TV box. So they recommend users with issues space the two at least 8' apart. Mine are about 5' apart but I haven't noticed an issue there. The other big issue with wireless signal that many have (according to my installer) was with plaster walls in the older homes. They just do a better job of blocking your signal so it's tough to get uniform coverage. I do have problems with that in the second floor room at the front of my house. Wonder if there is a repeater gadget I can hook up to re-broadcast the signal halfway?
Sounds like you have ruled out wifi being the issue as the wired connection gives the same problem. I've heard of problems with the devices being too close together for wifi connections. If each access point is assigning a new IP via wifi, or if the device is moving back and forth, then the switching between access points could cause the VPN to cut out. If a wired connection with a static IP on the laptop does not work, then the only other thing you could change on your end (that I know of) would be the firewall configuration.
I had this problem, too. I managed to get a static IP sorted out for one session, but I was curious if it would be something I have to do each time I remote connect, or will it remember my work computer?
bobbyhawks
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by bobbyhawks »

Eon Blue wrote:I had this problem, too. I managed to get a static IP sorted out for one session, but I was curious if it would be something I have to do each time I remote connect, or will it remember my work computer?
I think flyingmember better described what should be happening, but I do know a networking pro friend of mine that is still having issues with the provided wireless mesh, or whatever the GOOG is calling it.
flyingember wrote:roaming with wifi requires only three things

1. the device support the same wifi amendments for roaming. these days anything in recent years should. it's quite an old tech for wifi.
2. set it up both devices with the same wireless settings exactly. same ssid, same security, etc.
3. the device to roam supports the same roaming amendment

if everything matches, it should flip between the two automatically. the question becomes how good is the signal to the device. marginal for you may be good enough to not flip between APs. hard to test without doing it real world

you really want to have a single back end handing out DHCP for this to work right. if you get a new IP everything starts over. so turn off DHCP on the second device. then it's just a wireless bridge which won't effect ethernet connectivity. just depends on if the flip over is finished within the tcp timeout period.
On a side note, my Fiberhood was promised for Fall of 2013, then October 2013, then late October, then December, then late December, and I just received a notice to schedule an appointment yesterday. I'm thrilled, but they are clearly a bit behind schedule. If anyone has some setup recommendations or words of caution, please let me know. I'm thinking 2 or 3 TV boxes, and I would like to use my own wireless AC router. Unfortunately, I don't have my house wired for ethernet, and I've heard they will not pull any cables for you on installation. I will rarely have reason for 100 MBPS, but it is a bit of a bummer that the ethernet port on the TV boxes is limited to that. Does anyone know if the TV box communicates to other computers on the LAN via wireless or via the cable/ethernet wall connection? Basically, if you are connected via legacy cable (not ethernet), are you still on the same LAN if the wireless on the TV box is not working. My house isn't super easy to run cable through (for me at least), so I'm still trying to plot out the design while avoiding the wireless congestion in my neighborhood. A lot of my devices are next to the TV and can be connected via a cheap/old router.
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

bobbyhawks wrote:
Eon Blue wrote:I had this problem, too. I managed to get a static IP sorted out for one session, but I was curious if it would be something I have to do each time I remote connect, or will it remember my work computer?
I think flyingmember better described what should be happening, but I do know a networking pro friend of mine that is still having issues with the provided wireless mesh, or whatever the GOOG is calling it.
I have my CCNA and I still have semi-dead spots in my house. networking is just frustrating sometimes. I setup a router/AP one time that didn't work (couldn't get an IP from the ISP). wiped it back to factory and set it up the exact same way and it worked.

it's one reason to stick with a single brand, because if something doesn't work they can't blame someone else
aknowledgeableperson
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by aknowledgeableperson »

Was in the old Red Bridge neighborhood this am. Putting the fiber in there.
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

Kiva shows atlantic engineering with permits for google conduit install as far as NW of Barry and I-29. and a facebook friend had a picture of their equipment they claimed was google and that confirmed it

because there's so little pole structure guess they're working in front of the prequal to be certain they're ready for if an area qualifies

or maybe they just figure that certain fiberhoods will qualify for sure
dmtony
Parking Garage
Parking Garage

Post by dmtony »

My fiber in KCK was installed in late summer 2013. One thing I can say is that the installers really tried to give me what I wanted. One thing I would suggest to anyone who is going to have it installed is to leave some room around your Network and Storage boxes (try not to have them up against a wall). I had mine installed on a large swivel TV stand that can easily be moved if I need to put more computers, etc behind it.

I share my experience and speed tests, etc at my site below (Netpressionist). The following url is to the blog section, where I have most of my Google Fiber entries. Also, anyone who has Google Fiber, or is interested in GF, is welcome to join and share their experience or interest as well.

http://netpressions.com/Member-Blogs/Ca ... fiber.html
bobbyhawks
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by bobbyhawks »

I just got mine installed this weekend. I have to say, with the hurry they are in to install everything, they have their folks trained to give you a great installation experience. My initial impressions of the TV package is that the offering is lightyears ahead of what I experienced with TWC. Minus a few channels, the built-in Netflix, silent (and tiny) tv box, 8 channel tuner, whole-house integration, huge storage capacity, smart recording of tv shows and sports events by team (can tell it to record all KU basketball games), +5 minutes of recording on either end of all DVR'ed shows to ensure nothing is cut off, free tablet, TV via app, etc. make up for anything they don't have yet (AMC and HBO Go). I'm starting to think that some of the people I've been talking to with Google Fiber were so immediately spoiled, their expectations are now on another plane. Granted, I'll see what issues I encounter with reliability, but I'm thrilled with Google Fiber before I even talk about how awesome the Internet speeds are. I plan to tinker with a wireless AC router next, but the default Google Fiber setup is far better than my 30 Mbps TWC connection with the same AC router before (AC was worthless and just in anticipation of GF).

I'm very interested to find out the tech specs on the TV box, which are not really listed anywhere. The only information I could gather (now remembering that I never tried to read the box) is that it is running a Linux kernel, which leads me to believe it is a version of Android OS. I'm not brave enough to try to over-tinker, but once the install base is a little bit greater, I'd have to think there is a way to install custom apps like XBMC, which would be a killer feature. Also, Google has so many opportunities to build in features like chromecast and their own music service that seem almost inevitable.