Homicides 2011

KC topics that don't fit anywhere else.
brewcrew1000
Hotel President
Hotel President

Homicides 2011

Post by brewcrew1000 »

I have been trying to keep track of homicides this year and have been noticing that KCK is the in the early lead 9-7, i highly doubt this will keep up.
KCMO technically should have 6 cause the cops killed one of the 7.

If we look metrowide though, the number is 11 or 12 vs 7 in KCMO

This brings up the question, could metrowide lead this year in homicides as opposed to  KCMO always being the leader?
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: Homicides 2011

Post by KCMax »

brewcrew1000 wrote: I have been trying to keep track of homicides this year and have been noticing that KCK is the in the early lead 9-7, i highly doubt this will keep up.
KCMO technically should have 6 cause the cops killed one of the 7.

If we look metrowide though, the number is 11 or 12 vs 7 in KCMO

This brings up the question, could metrowide lead this year in homicides as opposed to  KCMO always being the leader?
For awhile now I've wanted to keep a database of KCMO murders vs. suburban fatal car accidents but have never gotten around to it.
SAVE THE PLAZA - FROM ZOMBIES! Find out how at:

http://twitter.com/TheKCRag
brewcrew1000
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by brewcrew1000 »

Here are Traffic Fatalities for 2008 and 2009 numbers by county

Kansas        
Wyandotte 13 26
Johnson  20  21
Miami  6  6

Missouri
Jackson 83  80
Cass  7  11
Clay  18  31
Platte  9  13

Metrowide Total
2008 - 156
2009 - 188

Most homicides are easily prevented if you are not involved with gangs, drug dealing, loan sharking or prostitution, while driving and getting in an accident is something that is very hard to prevent

So
Why aren't people afraid of driving?
http://www-fars.nhtsa.dot.gov/States/St ... ctims.aspx
Total 2008 -
Highlander
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by Highlander »

KCMax wrote: For awhile now I've wanted to keep a database of KCMO murders vs. suburban fatal car accidents but have never gotten around to it.
My guess is the fatal accident rate is also higher in the city.  Just goes along with socio-economic class and poorly developed concepts of risk/reward.  The stats offered by Brewcrew, while not broken down exactly along urban/non-urban lines, suggest the same with mostly urban Jackson County having 4 times as many car fatalities than mostly suburban Johnson County.  I do not think Jackson County is anywhere near 4X larger. 

I do not necassarily agree with this statement either:  "Most homicides are easily prevented if you are not involved with gangs, drug dealing, loan sharking or prostitution, while driving and getting in an accident is something that is very hard to prevent."

All accidents are preventable.  Even if you are not at fault, one could have probably avoided the accident by driving defensively.  I am afraid of driving.  I've been a mountain climber all of my adult life and I've been on some pretty hairy terrain, I travel to the Middle East and over much of the world but driving is the single most dangerous thing I've ever done.   
brewcrew1000
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by brewcrew1000 »

It could be socio economic but Jackson County is also kind of like a crossroads for the metro, they have more people working and traveling greater distances. For example its not uncommon for a family in Blue Springs to have one member of the family working in Johnson county, thus that longer commute would lead to a higher chance of a fatality.  A person who lived in Eastern Clay county and worked on 119th and Metcalf would also be traveling a great distance in Jackson County contributing to these numbers as well.  Another factor might be all the Trucks on I-70.

It would be interesting to see what the traffic accident breakdown is by county
brewcrew1000
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by brewcrew1000 »

Olathe Homicide ruled today and KCMO cops killed a man in south kc

Totals
Metro KC 12 or 13 Homicides
KCMO - 8 Homicides (2 are non-criminal since the cops killed them)
dangerboy
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by dangerboy »

County car crash rates are pretty meaningless without some context like crashes per 1000 people or crashes per total miles driven in each county.  You need a way to make the numbers relative to something like population or the amount of driving that occurs in the county.

It's also helpful to look at injuries vs. fatalities.
Highlander
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by Highlander »

dangerboy wrote: County car crash rates are pretty meaningless without some context like crashes per 1000 people or crashes per total miles driven in each county.  You need a way to make the numbers relative to something like population or the amount of driving that occurs in the county.

It's also helpful to look at injuries vs. fatalities.
That's a pretty simple calculation to make since we know the population of the counties.  What struck me was that there were 4X more fatal accidents in Jackson County than in Johnson county, the two largest counties in the metro.  Jackson County population is estimated at 705,000 while JoCo is estimated at 543,000 so the difference is less than half the poplulation of Johnson County (certainly nowhere near 4X larger).  Obviously there are differences that are pointed out here (employment base and truck traffic on the interstates; both of which Joco also has) but 4X more suggests to me that there are some inherent issues that Jackson County has that Johnson County does not have.      

brewcrew1000 wrote:
Totals
Metro KC 12 or 13 Homicides
KCMO - 8 Homicides (2 are non-criminal since the cops killed them)

Could be worse I guess, Ciudad Juarez has had 53 homicides in the last 3 days. 
Last edited by Highlander on Mon Feb 21, 2011 11:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
brewcrew1000
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by brewcrew1000 »

Northland muder last night, makes the new total

12 or 13 entire metro
9 KCMO (2 Non-Criminal, and 2 are Northland)

KCMO will most likely pass entire metro around March 10th I believe
brewcrew1000
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by brewcrew1000 »

Looks like KC might pass entire metro by end of the month, 2 dead in Northland last night, even though 435 and 210 where it happened is no mans land, i thought that was Randolph or Jackson County and not KCMO

12 or 13 entire metro
11 KCMO (2 Non-Criminal and 4 Northland)

Seems like there has really been an uptick in Northland crime, i think there were only 4 murders in the entire northland last year.
Joe Smith
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by Joe Smith »

brewcrew1000 wrote: Looks like KC might pass entire metro by end of the month, 2 dead in Northland last night, even though 435 and 210 where it happened is no mans land, i thought that was Randolph or Jackson County and not KCMO

12 or 13 entire metro
11 KCMO (2 Non-Criminal and 4 Northland)

Seems like there has really been an uptick in Northland crime, i think there were only 4 murders in the entire northland last year.
That Red Roof Inn is in Randolph and K.C. and both are in Clay County.
There's nothing wrong with shooting as long as the right people get shot.   Harry Callahan

For every moment of triumph, for every instance of beauty, many souls must be trampled.  Hunter S. Thompson
brewcrew1000
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by brewcrew1000 »

I'm gonna tally this as entire metro because it looks like this party started in Independence and just ended up in Randolph, so this shooting could have ended deadly in Independence but they had to break the party up. I'm assuming its gang related.
3rd person died in that shooting

15 or 16 entire metro
9 KCMO (2 Non-Criminal and 2 Northland)
Last edited by brewcrew1000 on Sun Feb 27, 2011 5:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
brewcrew1000
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by brewcrew1000 »

Blue Springs police killed a person last night

16 or 17 entire metro (1 Non-Criminal)
9 KCMO (2 Non-Criminal and 2 Northland)
elextendo
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by elextendo »

Kinda like the wild west all over again. Maybe if they build a new hotel this will bring more people and the crime will go away?
P&L Free since 2008
Joe Smith
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by Joe Smith »

Not homicides, but deaths nonetheless.

-------------------------------------

2010 K.C. Biker Deaths.

#1  February 16,2010
--------------------------
Motorcyclist Killed In I-470 Crash

POSTED: 10:40 am CST February 16, 2010

LEE'S SUMMIT, Mo. -- A motorcyclist was killed in a single-vehicle crash on Interstate 470 at Colbern Road.

Missouri Highway Patrol officials were investigating the crash, which occurred around 9:25 a.m. The scene had been cleared as of 10:40 p.m.
========================================================================================================
#2  April 3,2010
-----------------------
KANSAS CITY, Kan. - A motorcyclist lost control and hit a tree Saturday night.

The wreck happened just before 8 p.m. on Wolcott Drive near 97th Street.

Interstate 435 just south of the Missouri River was shut down temporarily to allow a life-flight helicopter to land.

The driver of the motorcycle died on the scene, allowing the helicopter to leave the scene without transporting the victim.

The victim's identity has not been released pending notification of family.
========================================================================================================
#3  April 4,2010
----------------------
KANSAS CITY, Mo. - A motorcyclist has died after a crash in the northbound lanes of U.S. 71 in the Grandview Triangle.

Police shut down two right lanes of 71 south of Bannister Road near Interstate 435 during the investigation.

The wreck occurred just after 8 p.m. Distraught family members came to the scene. The road was kept closed until a representative of the Jackson County Medical Examiner's Office came to the scene to take pictures and remove the body.
----------
UPDATE: 
----------
The motorcyclist who died in a wreck on U.S. 71 Sunday night was Antonio D. Alcorn Sr., 33, of Kansas City, police said today.

According to a Kansas City police report, Alcorn was approaching Bannister Road at a high rate of speed when he rear-ended a northbound pickup truck about 8 p.m.

Witnesses told officers the motorcyclist was speeding and changing lanes erratically just before the impact, which threw him from the motorcycle and into a guardrail.
#4 May 1, 2010
------------------------------
LENEXA, Kan. - A Shawnee man died Saturday evening in a motorcycle crash in Johnson County.

The Kansas Highway Patrol reports 28-year-old Randal Lozano was headed north on Kansas 7 just south of 83rd Street in Lenexa.

Lozano passed a slower vehicle headed north in the right lane.

He moved his 2008 Yamaha back into the right lane, lost control and ran into a ditch.

The impact threw Lozano from the motorcycle.

Lozano was not wearing a helmet.
#5 May 2, 2010
KANSAS CITY, Mo. – One person was killed Sunday after a motorcycle collided with another vehicle.

The crash happened around 6:30 p.m. in the northbound lanes of US 169 Highway near MO 9.

The driver of the motorcycle was transported to the hospital and later died.

The northbound lanes were closed for a shot time while officers began their investigation.

Officials have not yet released the name of the victim pending notification of family.
#6 May 25, 2010
A Leavenworth man has died from injuries he sustained in a motorcycle wreck last week on the Kansas Turnpike.

Mark Olin Baker, 54, was southbound on the highway near El Dorado Friday afternoon when, for unknown reasons, he ran off the road and overturned, according to a report from the Kansas Turnpike Authority.

Baker was taken to a hospital, where he died Monday, the report said.
#7 June 5, 2010
A St. Joseph man was killed last night after his motorcycle left Interstate 29 and hit a highway traffic sign.

Carl M. Dunn, 39, was pronounced dead at the scene. The crash occurred at about 9:45 p.m., according to a Missouri Highway Patrol report.

Authorities say Dunn was traveling north on I-29 in Platte County when his motorcycle left the highway. After hitting the sign, Dunn’s motorcycle overturned and he was thrown off.
#8 June 28, 2010
OAK GROVE, Missouri - A Blue Springs motorcyclist, 20-year-old Matthew Kellogg, was killed Monday evening in a traffic crash near Oak Grove.

The Missouri Highway Patrol reports Kellogg's motorcycle collided with a car on "F" Highway, south of Colbern Road, about 6:30 p.m.

Kellogg died at the scene. The driver of the car, 33-year-old Andrea Williams, of Independence, was seriously injured in the crash. Investigators say Williams was attempting to turn left into a private drive when the motorcycle struck her car.
Update of June 28 crash
Authorities have identified a 20-year-old motorcyclist who was killed and his passenger who seriously injured when they collided with another vehicle.

The deceased was identified as Matthew D. Kellogg of Blue Springs. His passenger was identified as Andrea J. Williams, 33, of Independence.

The crash occurred about 6:30 p.m. Monday along Missouri 7 just south of Northeast Colbern Road.

Kellogg was driving a 2003 Suzuki motorcycle north when he overtook a northbound 2008 Ford driven by Dennis R. Deischer, 64, of Oak Grove, Mo., according to the Missouri Highway Patrol.

Deischer was attempting to turn left into a private drive when the motorcycle struck his vehicle, according to the highway patrol.

Kellogg was pronounced dead at the scene. Williams was flown to a hospital with serious injuries.

Deischer was not injured.
#9 July 16, 2010
KANSAS CITY, Mo. -- A Lee's Summit man died in a motorcycle crash Friday night.

Independence police said that around 9:15 p.m. Friday the 54-year-old man rear-ended a minivan in a construction zone on southbound Interstate 470 near 40 Highway.

The man was taken by ambulance to an area hospital, where he later died.

The cause of the crash is under investigation.
================================================================================================
========
#10 July 27, 2010
Police have identified a motorcyclist killed Tuesday as Danny L. Kreiling, 54, of Kansas City.

The crash occurred about 11:45 a.m. on Stadium Drive near Beacon Avenue. Kreiling, who was westbound, had just passed a semi on the right. He apparently was speeding when he locked up his rear brake, crossed the center line and hit an eastbound semi, police said
================================================================================================
========
#11 August 10, 2010
One person died when a truck and a motorcycle collided Tuesday night in Leawood.

The accident happened around 9:45 p.m. near 151st Street and Nall Avenue, according to Leawood police.

Johnson County ambulance dispatchers said one person died and another person was taken to the hospital with injuries.
=======
#12 August 25, 2010
A 59-year-old man died late Wednesday after he hit a motorist assist vehicle on the shoulder of Interstate 35 in the Northland.

The victim was identified as Richard D. Brummett of Liberty.

The Missouri Highway Patrol reported that Brummett was driving a 2005 Triumph motorcycle when he tried to pass another vehicle on the right shoulder of Interstate 35, just south of Parvin Road. He struck a Missouri Department of Transportation motorist assist vehicle.

The motorist assist vehicle had stopped on the right shoulder and had its emergency lights activated. Brummett was pronounced dead at the scene, according to investigators.
=======
#13 September 30, 2010
-----------------------------------
A motorcyclist hurt in a Sept. 14 wreck at 32nd Street and Broadway Boulevard has died from his injuries, police said today.

Billy E. Ellis, 50, of Claycomo, died at Research Medical Center Thursday afternoon. Police said he was southbound on Broadway about 10:20 a.m. Sept. 14 when an eastbound sport-utility vehicle pulled out from a stop sign and collided with him. Two city buses parked along Broadway blocked the SUV driver’s view of southbound traffic, according to a police report.

Ellis’ death marked the 47th traffic fatality in Kansas City this year compared with 57 by the same date last year.
#14 October 8, 2010
-----------------------------
A 51-year-old man was killed Friday when his motorcycle collided with a car at 119th Street and Three Lakes Parkway, a few blocks west of Antioch Road in Overland Park.

Johnson County Med-Act personnel attempted resuscitation, but the motorcyclist was declared dead at the scene. The accident happened about 9:30 p.m.

Witnesses said the man was traveling eastbound on 119th Street when it entered an intersection at Three Lakes Parkway and collided with a car.

The 23-year-old woman who was driving the car was not injured. The name of the victim was not released. The Overland Park police traffic safety unit is conducting an investigation.
#15 October 13, 2010
-------------------------------
A motorcyclist wrecked on northbound Interstate 35 about 8:40 this evening, and later died.

The rider was found near the railroad tracks under the interstate near Cambridge Circle, Kansas City police said. The accident temporarily blocked traffic on the interstate.
#16 October 16, 2010
A motorcyclist died and his passenger was critically injured late Saturday afternoon in a crash in Independence.

Police said the crash occurred at 5:38 p.m. Saturday at U.S. 24 and Elsea Smith Road in the northeast part of the city.

An 18-year-old motorist turned off of U.S. 24 and into the path of the motorcycle. The motorcycle struck the car, throwing off both the 60-year-old driver and his 66-year-old passenger.

Both cyclists were wearing helmets, but the driver died later at a hospital. The female passenger remained hospitalized today with life-threatening injuries.
#17 October 16, 2010
A man died after losing control of his motorcycle overnight.

According to Overland Park police, a man riding a black Honda Sport motorcycle was southbound on U.S. 169 near 151st Street and traveling at a high rate of speed when he lost control, drove off the embankment on the west side of the highway and crashed.

The man died at the scene. The name of the victim is being withheld until his family has been notified.
There's nothing wrong with shooting as long as the right people get shot.   Harry Callahan

For every moment of triumph, for every instance of beauty, many souls must be trampled.  Hunter S. Thompson
brewcrew1000
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by brewcrew1000 »

Homicide in Old Northeast

http://www.kansascity.com/2011/03/01/26 ... spect.html

16 or 17 entire metro (1 Non-Criminal)
10 KCMO (2 Non-Criminal and 2 Northland)
Joe Smith
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by Joe Smith »

4th quarter homicide year in review from the KCPD

http://www.kcmo.org/idc/groups/policevi ... report.pdf

brewcrew1000
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by brewcrew1000 »

KCK Homicide last night

18 or 19 entire metro (1 Non-Criminal and 10 KCK)
Joe Smith
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by Joe Smith »

brewcrew1000 wrote: KCK Homicide last night

18 or 19 entire metro (1 Non-Criminal and 10 KCK)
That would be 3 Northland, not 2

brewcrew1000
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by brewcrew1000 »

How is it 3 Northland?

The triple shooting i counted as Metro, because it was in Clay County/Randolph

The 2 northland are a stabbing and a shooting of a gas station worker