WTF is going on July 23/25 downtown KC?

KC topics that don't fit anywhere else.
trailerkid
City Center Square
City Center Square

WTF is going on July 23/25 downtown KC?

Post by trailerkid »

Trying to get a hotel for my mom and rates are extraordinarily high. Additionally, it appears Westin, Hyatt, Hilton Prez, Downtown Marriott and Plaza Sheraton Suites are all sold out. checked out the CVB schedule and didn't see anything...
Last edited by trailerkid on Mon Jun 14, 2010 1:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
TheSmokinPun
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Re: WTF is going on July 23/25 downtown KC?

Post by TheSmokinPun »

Well, there are two pretty big events in town that weekend. Paul McCartney on the 24th and Manchester United plays the Wizards at Arrowhead the 25th, which is bringing in a ton of out of towners.
trailerkid
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by trailerkid »

TheSmokinPun wrote: Well, there are two pretty big events in town that weekend. Paul McCartney on the 24th and Manchester United plays the Wizards at Arrowhead the 25th, which is bringing in a ton of out of towners.
my mom is coming for macca. i'm guessing it's the soccer eating up all the downtown rooms because availability wasn't  very good even when paul mccartney was first announced some weeks ago. kc is going to be rocking that weekend. most of the plaza rooms are still open.

thanks.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

Few other smaller conventions in town as well.
http://downtownkcmo.blogspot.com

Tweeting live from Big 12 tournament @downtownkc
kcjak
Penntower
Penntower

Post by kcjak »

Hallmark is having a national Gold Crown store owner's conference at the Hyatt that is taking up rooms from July 20-23 and I've heard attendees aren't able to book any additional nights because downtown hotels are all sold out.
PumpkinStalker
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by PumpkinStalker »

kcjak wrote: Hallmark is having a national Gold Crown store owner's conference at the Hyatt that is taking up rooms from July 20-23 and I've heard attendees aren't able to book any additional nights because downtown hotels are all sold out.
Yep.

And many of those rooms are booked on speculation of attendees, so look for some to possibly open later on. 

Huh, I guess there is a need for another big convention hotel.  Weird.
trailerkid
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by trailerkid »

PumpkinStalker wrote: Yep.

And many of those rooms are booked on speculation of attendees, so look for some to possibly open later on. 

Huh, I guess there is a need for another big convention hotel.  Weird.
people making last minute travel arrangements for that weekend are gonna have to stay in OP or at the airport. my mom will be in town for the concert, but she'll probably end up staying in JoCo which sucks. i'm debating whether it's worth $20+ extra dollars/night to scale at a mid-scale hotel on the Plaza vs. one in Lenexa.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

Twenty bucks?  That seems like am easy decision.
http://downtownkcmo.blogspot.com

Tweeting live from Big 12 tournament @downtownkc
trailerkid
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by trailerkid »

KCPowercat wrote: Twenty bucks?  That seems like am easy decision.
i hear you. i also want the room tax to go to KCMO where it actually does some good. there'd be 2 rooms over 2 nights so it'd likely be an $80 total difference.
aknowledgeableperson
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by aknowledgeableperson »

Give her your bed and charge her.  So you sleep on the couch, or floor, but you could make some money.  Maybe even enough to throw in some food.
I may be right.  I may be wrong.  But there is a lot of gray area in-between.
ColumbusParkian
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by ColumbusParkian »

i'd use hotwire or priceline. i always find awesome deals with those...
loftguy
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by loftguy »

ColumbusParkian wrote: i'd use hotwire or priceline. i always find awesome deals with those...
Sorry to divert the thread, but I quit using priceline years ago as I was consistantly ending up in locations that were far from the
action/desirable zone.  Have you suggestions for better control over this?
aknowledgeableperson
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by aknowledgeableperson »

trailerkid wrote: people making last minute travel arrangements for that weekend are gonna have to stay in OP or at the airport. my mom will be in town for the concert, but she'll probably end up staying in JoCo which sucks. i'm debating whether it's worth $20+ extra dollars/night to scale at a mid-scale hotel on the Plaza vs. one in Lenexa.
On the serious side you could try the Courtyard at Holmes and 435 or the Residence Inn(?) next door to it.
I may be right.  I may be wrong.  But there is a lot of gray area in-between.
trailerkid
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by trailerkid »

should i buy a room now or wait in hopes that rates drop or open up on better properties? i'm a total cheap ass when it comes to hotels, but kind of a hotel snob as well. i'm not happy about going for a 3 star which will probably end up being a Holiday Inn @ $60+night. when you're staying in a different city it ruins the trip staying in a property that gives you anxiety.
ColumbusParkian wrote: i'd use hotwire or priceline. i always find awesome deals with those...
i use hotwire...but like i said downtown is all sold out. there's a 3 star on the plaza for $70, Intercontinental for $130, and a cluster of 3 stars in Joco for $50 and under. apparently JoCo now has a 4 star hotel which is also super cheap on those days--$60. i'm guessing it's the Sheraton, but maybe Marriott? i just don't want people from out of town (aunt coming too) staying the suburbs for an event downtown.
LenexatoKCMO
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by LenexatoKCMO »

trailerkid wrote: i'm not happy about going for a 3 star which will probably end up being a Holiday Inn @ $60+night. when you're staying in a different city it ruins the trip staying in a property that gives you anxiety.
The Westport Holiday Inn looks like ass, but you can't beat the convenience of the location. 
trailerkid
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by trailerkid »

LenexatoKCMO wrote: The Westport Holiday Inn looks like ass, but you can't beat the convenience of the location. 
it may sound weird, but i'd rather have my mom stay @ the Lenexa Holiday Inn than the Westport Holiday Inn. I get the walkable neighborhood thing, but I'm not going to put my mom through staying at a hotel that looks like a flophouse when she visits Kansas City.
WSPanic
Supporter

Post by WSPanic »

LenexatoKCMO wrote: The Westport Holiday Inn looks like ass, but you can't beat the convenience of the location. 
Could try The Q (Quarterage) in Westport.
If it doesn't have street-level retail, it's an abortion.
kcjak
Penntower
Penntower

Post by kcjak »

Try betterbidding.com - they list hotels for each city as defined by Hotwire and Priceline, as well as winning bids for certain dates.  You can look up which hotel Priceline lists by amenity and also seeing how much people paid for them during your dates.  Also, if you have AAA, there are some good bargains on their website...although if the city is booked, of course rates will be higher.
kcmetro
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by kcmetro »

Did you try the Embassy Suites near the Plaza & Westport?
trailerkid
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by trailerkid »

kcmetro wrote: Did you try the Embassy Suites near the Plaza & Westport?
I don't like that property, but ES might be a good idea.