Rankings, lists, and such

KC topics that don't fit anywhere else.
chrizow
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: Rankings, lists, and such

Post by chrizow »

all this said, i should probably do more of an apples-to-apples comparison of lifestyle. nearly all of the times i've been to STL, it's to visit friends or family and we end up driving all over creation to see a bunch of stuff. when youre bouncing around south city, downtown, CWE, clayton/U City, let alone west county, you just feel like you're in the car forever b/c all of these areas of town are 20-30 minutes from each other.

if i was relocated to STL for work and basically adopted the same life choices i have now, i am guessing it would be a very similarly "easy" life experience. i'd live in U City, "commute" to downtown clayton, and live the same leafy streetcar-suburban family life i do now, with rare 1x/month jaunts downtown or elsewhere in the urban core. so from that perspective i actually would probably be totally fine with living in STL and i take back what i said. 8)
warwickland
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by warwickland »

i commute to creve coeur inside 270 so its 15 minute easy car trip on olive. i *am* endlessly jealous of the people who commute by foot to downtown clayton- i’m under thirty minute walk to forsyth so i’d do it if i could. it’s a whole thang.

the deep south city to west county commute when i worked west of 270 was fucking hell though. i even endured the I-64 rebuild closure. i just tightened my world up a bit into the central corridor and it made all the difference. everything* is like 15 minutes or less now, even the airport.

*not like deep south city it feels like my lost world when i go there
TheLastGentleman
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by TheLastGentleman »

chrizow wrote: Fri Sep 06, 2019 3:58 pmi kinda feel like KC and STL have comparative juice but disparate squeeze.
Carve this in stone.
brewcrew1000
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by brewcrew1000 »

I wish we would open the st Louis thread back up.i do have a deep love for St Louis but it's like the loser brother in the movie Parenthood (set in St Louis) in that a don't see a future for it's core and it will struggle for a long time.
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

^There's a bunch of them. Or feel free to create another.
brewcrew1000
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by brewcrew1000 »

earthling wrote: Sat Sep 07, 2019 8:07 am ^There's a bunch of them. Or feel free to create another.
I thought the main St Louis one was deleted
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

There have been many, pick a topic and create another if you want.
warwickland
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by warwickland »

brewcrew1000 wrote: Fri Sep 06, 2019 10:50 pm I wish we would open the st Louis thread back up.i do have a deep love for St Louis but it's like the loser brother in the movie Parenthood (set in St Louis) in that a don't see a future for it's core and it will struggle for a long time.
are you originally from st. charles county or something damn that’s dark haha.

excuse me while i turn east and do my provel salutations for the day with anime cry-eyes.
brewcrew1000
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by brewcrew1000 »

Lol no. I just love St Louis. It's probably the best city for a weekend trip with kids in the entire country.
I also love all the regional food found only in St Louis.
warwickland
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by warwickland »

i'm going to have to re-watch the movie parenthood, not even sure i've seen it. i'm sure the reference is NOT FLATTERING. ha.

really weird that the movie was set in st. louis (although the late 80s was a golden age of films set in the midwest, particularly st. louis but primarily chicago) but filmed in florida.
chrizow
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by chrizow »

"parenthood" is a deep cut. i'm not sure i've ever seen it, although the not-really-related TV series is must-see content.

i think STL is a really interesting place. i am sure folks who live there feel a lot of momentum and have optimism for the city, but as an outsider it's hard to look past the faded glory of what was truly a great american city. but looking simply at its present and future, i think it's a pretty cool city. honestly, if nothing else, it's a spectacular example of an urban center where it is possible to live inexpensively and carve out a pretty cool niche. i think KC still is, also, but a lot of people seem to be making a lot of noise about how this is not true anymore, or won't be soon. not sure if that is objectively accurate but this rampant perception of KC becoming a low-level nashville with attendant and fast-paced yuppification is not helpful--nor do i think it is true.

i repented for digs at STL by ordering an "STL style thin crust" pizza from Waldo Pizza last night. it was glorious.
warwickland
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by warwickland »

chrizow wrote: Mon Sep 09, 2019 10:00 am i think KC still is, also, but a lot of people seem to be making a lot of noise about how this is not true anymore, or won't be soon. not sure if that is objectively accurate but this rampant perception of KC becoming a low-level nashville with attendant and fast-paced yuppification is not helpful--nor do i think it is true.

i repented for digs at STL by ordering an "STL style thin crust" pizza from Waldo Pizza last night. it was glorious.
haha, nice.

interesting about the fears of the "nashvilleification" (my brain just melted) of kc...kc is in a really great sweet spot in that it is receiving a lot of the attendant pros of investment, positive demographics, etc without the crazy downsides of becoming overheated. nashville is really a complete shock to me, to see an inland city on the verge of overheating with what i think are extreme house prices (in central tennessee!?), a complete overload of the same, cheap wood-frame apartment boxes, and a complete meltdown of infrastructure (i've sat on gallatin pike for what seems like hours since the interstate/expressway was trashed). i don't see that happening in kc, yet.

also, you want to talk about attitude nashville got it...just not sure what it is it's such a bizarre mix. very interesting to watch from a little distance, though.
chrizow
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by chrizow »

https://www.thepitchkc.com/what-happens ... vanishing/

articles like this seem to pop up all the time, and in KC it has become somewhat routine to hear folks complain along these lines--not just for artists but everyone. KC is not experiencing anywhere near the population influx (and attendant strains on infrastructure and real estate) as nashville, let alone longtime boomtowns like denver, austin, portland, etc., but there are a lot of concerns regardless. honestly, i think people in KC got so used to KC being completely under-the-radar for so long that it is startling to experience this kind of momentum. if i were to compare KC to any city, it would probably be Mpls, which i feel like is our larger sibling and has grown a lot in stature but has managed to absorb it and wear it well without overheated prices or people freaking out.

there are isolated pockets of the city that have definitely seen a sharp increase in home values. when we moved to south hyde park in 2008, for years it was almost unheard-of for a house to sell for more than $199K, except maybe one of the few truly enormous houses that are sprinkled in the area. (for that matter, it wasn't long before 2008 that houses in SHP were probably across the board less than $100K, so we were kind of midstream gentrifiers in that regard, maybe?) it is a little shocking now to see pretty normal shirtwaists in South Hyde Park selling for $250-300K. it's maybe even more shocking to see $30K houses east of troost in midtown being flipped and sold for $180K-250K. but even with these trends, it's still quite possible to live inexpensively in KC, just not as easy to do so in the central corridor.
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

chrizow wrote: Mon Sep 09, 2019 2:43 pm
there are isolated pockets of the city that have definitely seen a sharp increase in home values. when we moved to south hyde park in 2008, for years it was almost unheard-of for a house to sell for more than $199K, except maybe one of the few truly enormous houses that are sprinkled in the area. (for that matter, it wasn't long before 2008 that houses in SHP were probably across the board less than $100K, so we were kind of midstream gentrifiers in that regard, maybe?) it is a little shocking now to see pretty normal shirtwaists in South Hyde Park selling for $250-300K. it's maybe even more shocking to see $30K houses east of troost in midtown being flipped and sold for $180K-250K. but even with these trends, it's still quite possible to live inexpensively in KC, just not as easy to do so in the central corridor.
And there's room for substantial price increases too to the tune of $100-150k. The urban market is going to continue to heat up.
I would expect people looking for deals will need to move east.

This home shows you the price disparity across much of the part of town
https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/1332 ... 5152_zpid/
At $395k it's $246/sq ft

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/2737 ... 7731_zpid/
$380k is $138/sq ft

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/2820 ... 6851_zpid/
$350k is $122/sq ft

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/3012 ... 7034_zpid/
$280k is $101/sq ft

Built new these three homes would sell in the $450-600k range.
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

Conde Nast Traveler: 16 Cities to Visit Before All of Your Friends Catch On
Kansas City, Missouri

This soulful locale just got its first designer hotel, Crossroads. But it's the Americana—BBQ, blues, denim (see Vogue favorite Baldwin)—that give it appeal when so many other U.S. towns have been hipsterfied.
https://www.cntraveler.com/story/16-cit ... s-catch-on
grovester
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by grovester »

Ha! Thought that was the tease, that's all of the KC portion.
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

At least KC didn't make list of top 50 murder rate of world cities (yet). STL is 15th, Baltimore, Detroit and New Orleans also in top 50.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_c ... urder_rate
brewcrew1000
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by brewcrew1000 »

earthling wrote: Thu Oct 03, 2019 8:44 pm At least KC didn't make list of top 50 murder rate of world cities (yet). STL is 15th, Baltimore, Detroit and New Orleans also in top 50.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_c ... urder_rate
If we didn't have the Northland we probably would be 16th
warwickland
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by warwickland »

kc is at around 180 murders
WSPanic
Supporter

Post by WSPanic »

LOL. I was JUST about to post something about that "unironic finger pointing" comment. Well done, Warwick :)