Kansas, Missouri battle over companies

KC topics that don't fit anywhere else.
earthling
Oak Tower
Oak Tower
Posts: 5404
Joined: Sun Sep 11, 2011 2:27 pm

Re: Kansas, Missouri battle over companies

Post by earthling » Wed Jul 17, 2019 11:52 am

USDA: Many decline move to KC.
https://www.npr.org/sections/thesalt/20 ... -wont-move

Sounds like they'll end up in temp office space or existing USDA space over by Swope Park until a new site is selected. So might be possible they wait for new construction for a permanent location.

User avatar
Highlander
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower
Posts: 9130
Joined: Mon Jun 28, 2004 1:40 pm
Location: Houston

Re: Kansas, Missouri battle over companies

Post by Highlander » Wed Jul 17, 2019 11:57 pm

earthling wrote:
Wed Jul 17, 2019 11:52 am
USDA: Many decline move to KC.
https://www.npr.org/sections/thesalt/20 ... -wont-move

Sounds like they'll end up in temp office space or existing USDA space over by Swope Park until a new site is selected. So might be possible they wait for new construction for a permanent location.
I think it's rather insulting the way this is playing out in the national press. I realize there are political issues at play here but the press is playing it up as Republicans/Trump forcing DOA professionals to move to a farm town and/or unsophisticated dump in middle America as some kind of revenge for being a science based organization. I would be willing to bet that the number of scientists that ultimately make the move is far greater than currently being advertised. I've worked in the scientific community for 30 years. It's not that easy to walk off the job and into another job. In most cases, it's a small community and the number of attractive positions are usually very limited. I would suspect that most that stay do so because of other concerns - spouse employment, family, near retirement.

Nonetheless, the media making this into a circus has had collateral damage for KC's reputation which actually has been on the rise.

earthling
Oak Tower
Oak Tower
Posts: 5404
Joined: Sun Sep 11, 2011 2:27 pm

Re: Kansas, Missouri battle over companies

Post by earthling » Thu Jul 18, 2019 8:17 am

Most articles I've seen have been more about USDA employees not wanting to leave DC than specifically not wanting to move to KC. Many view that it's about breaking up research that doesn't agree with the Trump admin. Others also say that they need close ties to Congress, but isn't the case anymore with web conferencing.

Reality is... There are far more USDA jobs in KC than DC already. There are over 100 Fed agencies in KC with 35K employees, no issues with ties to DC ecosystem given technology. And there will still be about 100 USDA based in DC after move. But the move is also being handled poorly and too quickly, as HR leaders have pointed out.

flyingember
One Park Place
One Park Place
Posts: 7761
Joined: Tue Jul 17, 2012 7:54 am

Re: Kansas, Missouri battle over companies

Post by flyingember » Thu Jul 18, 2019 11:31 am

earthling wrote:
Thu Jul 18, 2019 8:17 am
And there will still be about 100 USDA based in DC after move.
100 would effectively mean just HQ. The Secretary won't leave DC. The heads of all the agencies are based out of DC even when the agency is elsewhere.

User avatar
FangKC
City Center Square
City Center Square
Posts: 14123
Joined: Sat Jul 26, 2003 10:02 pm
Location: Old Northeast -- Indian Mound

Re: Kansas, Missouri battle over companies

Post by FangKC » Fri Jul 26, 2019 4:40 pm

Despite Pending Deal, Kansas And Missouri May Not Be Done With Border War

https://www.kcur.org/post/despite-pendi ... r#stream/0

earthling
Oak Tower
Oak Tower
Posts: 5404
Joined: Sun Sep 11, 2011 2:27 pm

Re: Kansas, Missouri battle over companies

Post by earthling » Fri Aug 02, 2019 3:46 pm

Kansas Gov. Laura Kelly signed an executive order Friday morning that effectively ended the economic border war between Kansas and Missouri.

Kelly’s order mirrors legislation Missouri Gov. Mike Parson signed in early June, which won’t take effect until Kansas matches it and the Missouri Department of Commerce verifies that. But Kelly’s order includes one key difference: It calls for local incentive granting authorities in both states to participate in the truce as well.

The order goes into effect on or after Aug. 28, and the two governors plan to discuss the issue at a summit hosted by the Greater Kansas City Chamber of Commerce on Aug. 13.
https://www.bizjournals.com/kansascity/ ... s_headline

earthling
Oak Tower
Oak Tower
Posts: 5404
Joined: Sun Sep 11, 2011 2:27 pm

Re: Kansas, Missouri battle over companies

Post by earthling » Mon Aug 05, 2019 11:44 am

More ammo for those who think the USDA move is more about breaking up scientific research that doesn't agree with Trump admin than cost cutting. USDA is backtracking on those on the fence about moving to KC. Wouldn't USDA want to retain as many as possible on the relocation?

https://www.govexec.com/management/2019 ... ck/158816/

User avatar
FangKC
City Center Square
City Center Square
Posts: 14123
Joined: Sat Jul 26, 2003 10:02 pm
Location: Old Northeast -- Indian Mound

Re: Kansas, Missouri battle over companies

Post by FangKC » Thu Aug 08, 2019 3:43 pm

Hostess moving headquarters to Kansas.

https://www.bizjournals.com/kansascity/ ... ansas.html

User avatar
Steve52
Colonnade
Colonnade
Posts: 913
Joined: Sat Nov 05, 2005 7:26 pm

Re: Kansas, Missouri battle over companies

Post by Steve52 » Thu Aug 08, 2019 4:07 pm

FangKC wrote:
Thu Aug 08, 2019 3:43 pm
Hostess moving headquarters to Kansas.

https://www.bizjournals.com/kansascity/ ... ansas.html
Looks like their rent is going up. 2018 $2,052,000 2019 $3,577,549

User avatar
Highlander
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower
Posts: 9130
Joined: Mon Jun 28, 2004 1:40 pm
Location: Houston

Re: Kansas, Missouri battle over companies

Post by Highlander » Fri Aug 09, 2019 12:18 am

FangKC wrote:
Thu Aug 08, 2019 3:43 pm
Hostess moving headquarters to Kansas.

https://www.bizjournals.com/kansascity/ ... ansas.html
Incentives?

Weren't they bankrupt pretty recently?

brewcrew1000
Broadway Square
Broadway Square
Posts: 2579
Joined: Fri Feb 11, 2011 10:10 am
Location: Broadway/Gilham according to google maps

Re: Kansas, Missouri battle over companies

Post by brewcrew1000 » Fri Aug 09, 2019 8:29 am

I could see them moving to the Century Link Building at New Century, Century Link is moving out soon and its a nice building, plus they will be 5 minutes from the Edgerton Opertations

https://www.google.com/maps/@38.8155809 ... 312!8i6656

User avatar
Highlander
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower
Posts: 9130
Joined: Mon Jun 28, 2004 1:40 pm
Location: Houston

Re: Kansas, Missouri battle over companies

Post by Highlander » Sat Aug 10, 2019 6:01 pm

brewcrew1000 wrote:
Fri Aug 09, 2019 8:29 am
I could see them moving to the Century Link Building at New Century, Century Link is moving out soon and its a nice building, plus they will be 5 minutes from the Edgerton Opertations

https://www.google.com/maps/@38.8155809 ... 312!8i6656
800 employees. A big loss for the metro. I take it all of the transfers are to offices outside the KC area? Sounds like the Kansas version of TransAmerica.

langosta
Strip mall
Strip mall
Posts: 179
Joined: Mon May 27, 2019 4:02 am

Re: Kansas, Missouri battle over companies

Post by langosta » Sun Aug 11, 2019 12:25 am

Highlander wrote:
Sat Aug 10, 2019 6:01 pm
brewcrew1000 wrote:
Fri Aug 09, 2019 8:29 am
I could see them moving to the Century Link Building at New Century, Century Link is moving out soon and its a nice building, plus they will be 5 minutes from the Edgerton Opertations

https://www.google.com/maps/@38.8155809 ... 312!8i6656
800 employees. A big loss for the metro. I take it all of the transfers are to offices outside the KC area? Sounds like the Kansas version of TransAmerica.
I can't help but think that it was hard for them to attract and keep qualified workers.

flyingember
One Park Place
One Park Place
Posts: 7761
Joined: Tue Jul 17, 2012 7:54 am

Re: Kansas, Missouri battle over companies

Post by flyingember » Mon Aug 12, 2019 8:14 am

langosta wrote:
Sun Aug 11, 2019 12:25 am
I can't help but think that it was hard for them to attract and keep qualified workers.
I always turned them down when recruiters mentioned they had openings, they were too far south.

brewcrew1000
Broadway Square
Broadway Square
Posts: 2579
Joined: Fri Feb 11, 2011 10:10 am
Location: Broadway/Gilham according to google maps

Re: Kansas, Missouri battle over companies

Post by brewcrew1000 » Mon Aug 12, 2019 8:43 am

Not sure if this fits in this category but I really think the Traffic Going South on 35 from Downtown to 435 in the Morning is now worse than the Traffic going North into downtown, same with the evening commute, the backup to go on 635 sometimes backs up to Shawnee Mission in the Evening. Are more people just choosing to live in Missouri/Wyandotte and choosing to commute to Kansas, is it more companies in Kansas now? The traffic has really gotten bad over the last 4-5 years

User avatar
normalthings
Valencia Place
Valencia Place
Posts: 1961
Joined: Mon Mar 30, 2015 9:52 pm

Re: Kansas, Missouri battle over companies

Post by normalthings » Mon Aug 12, 2019 9:37 am

brewcrew1000 wrote:
Mon Aug 12, 2019 8:43 am
Not sure if this fits in this category but I really think the Traffic Going South on 35 from Downtown to 435 in the Morning is now worse than the Traffic going North into downtown, same with the evening commute, the backup to go on 635 sometimes backs up to Shawnee Mission in the Evening. Are more people just choosing to live in Missouri/Wyandotte and choosing to commute to Kansas, is it more companies in Kansas now? The traffic has really gotten bad over the last 4-5 years
Downtown employment is down more than 50% of what it was in 2000. Downtown residential on the other hand has more than doubled (maybe tripled).

User avatar
Highlander
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower
Posts: 9130
Joined: Mon Jun 28, 2004 1:40 pm
Location: Houston

Re: Kansas, Missouri battle over companies

Post by Highlander » Sun Aug 18, 2019 6:43 pm

langosta wrote:
Sun Aug 11, 2019 12:25 am
Highlander wrote:
Sat Aug 10, 2019 6:01 pm
brewcrew1000 wrote:
Fri Aug 09, 2019 8:29 am
I could see them moving to the Century Link Building at New Century, Century Link is moving out soon and its a nice building, plus they will be 5 minutes from the Edgerton Opertations

https://www.google.com/maps/@38.8155809 ... 312!8i6656
800 employees. A big loss for the metro. I take it all of the transfers are to offices outside the KC area? Sounds like the Kansas version of TransAmerica.
I can't help but think that it was hard for them to attract and keep qualified workers.
Why would they have issues? KC's low unemployment rate? low pay? Wasn't this mostly a call center?

shinatoo
One Park Place
One Park Place
Posts: 6343
Joined: Wed Jan 19, 2005 3:20 pm

Re: Kansas, Missouri battle over companies

Post by shinatoo » Mon Aug 19, 2019 6:49 pm

75th and Quivira
Quocunque Jeceris Stabit

earthling
Oak Tower
Oak Tower
Posts: 5404
Joined: Sun Sep 11, 2011 2:27 pm

Re: Kansas, Missouri battle over companies

Post by earthling » Fri Oct 18, 2019 2:16 pm

https://www.missourinet.com/2019/10/17/ ... -agencies/
The USDA’s Deputy Undersecretary for Research says the transfer of two research agencies to Kansas City is complete and hiring is underway.
Another past report said most went to the existing USDA location near Swope Park. Given only about 60-100 are moving to KC (depending on report), they'll apparently be hiring the rest. But will they seek a large office lease or simply find more space in Swope Park office park as they go? Or squeeze them in with shared tables instead of cubicles?

Post Reply