Need advice = New Windows for an Old House

KC topics that don't fit anywhere else.
dangerboy
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Need advice = New Windows for an Old House

Post by dangerboy »

I'm starting to think we need a Gentrification forum for those of us rehabbing or maintaining old houses...

Anyway, we need to replace windows in a 100 year-old shirtwaist.  It currently has a mix of original wood windows and crappy aluminum replacements from mid-20th Century.  It would be nice to retrofit the original windows to double pane, argon, etc. - but we're open to brand new windows that are historically sensitive.

So, any advice?  Any referrals? 
studentper
Strip mall
Strip mall

Re: Need advice = New Windows for an Old House

Post by studentper »

New windows made a world of difference in our house in brookside.  We just went with Pella windows from Lowe's, and they carried windows to match the pane pattern of the old ones.  We were able to save a ton of money by buying "new construction" windows, because the installer had access to the back of the outside wall through the space where the lead weights used to sit.  (That space also meant we could fudge 1/2 inch on the width and get standard size windows, as opposed to custom order ones.)  See if it will work for your situation, because the exact same size replacement window was about $150 more per window.  Also, make sure the windows qualify for the energy tax credit for 2009.  Good luck.
mlind
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by mlind »

If possible, get wood frame to be historically accurate.  Some cities' building codes require dual pane for energy conservation.  Out here in sunny California, there is a big business in recycled building materials and people buy used windows from old buildings that have been torn down.
PumpkinStalker
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by PumpkinStalker »

I would do some reading in the This Old House forums.  Here is an example where a couple of regulars agree that plenty of single pane wood frame windows are just as efficient as argon filled ones when glazed and weather stripped.  I too would be tempted to maintain your old ones if it can be afforded.  If they have the chain/rope pulley systems hidden in the jams, I know those can be a pricey fix but it's worth checking into.  My house had all new vinyl windows put in prior to me purchasing it or I'd attempt to save them.  As for replicating originals that have been replaced with aluminum, that might be your biggest expense if you want them to all be original.  You could also make all the front windows original for curb appeal, and replace others.

http://advice.thisoldhouse.com/showthread.php?t=5465
chrizow
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by chrizow »

shockingly my house has 100% of the old windows - including the original glass, which has migrated downward in the frames for a distorted "antique glass" look. 

i bet you can find old windows at the re:store - maybe a long shot though in terms of sizes.  however, the re:store folks do demolitions of old houses in town, and i bet a lot of them are probably similar to your house!
barkerr
New York Life
New York Life

Post by barkerr »

chrizow wrote: shockingly my house has 100% of the old windows - including the original glass, which has migrated downward in the frames for a distorted "antique glass" look. 

i bet you can find old windows at the re:store - maybe a long shot though in terms of sizes.  however, the re:store folks do demolitions of old houses in town, and i bet a lot of them are probably similar to your house!
Our 124 year-old home has all of its orginal windows too, giving the same anique glass affect, which I love. Of all the projects we have to do, getting the windows done is easily the last on the list due to the cost. I was told it amounts to about $300/window. Does anyone have any legitimate prices for replacing these old windows?
dangerboy
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by dangerboy »

chrizow wrote: i bet you can find old windows at the re:store - maybe a long shot though in terms of sizes.  however, the re:store folks do demolitions of old houses in town, and i bet a lot of them are probably similar to your house!
I'm not looking for old windows.  This is one area where I don't mind violating the historic integrity of the house.  I'm going for maximum energy efficiency, but if I can find an historically sensitive design then that's OK.
LenexatoKCMO
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by LenexatoKCMO »

dangerboy wrote: I'm not looking for old windows.  This is one area where I don't mind violating the historic integrity of the house.  I'm going for maximum energy efficiency, but if I can find an historically sensitive design then that's OK.
Should have gone to the home show this last weekend - there were several aisles worth of lonely, desperate window salesmen/women standing around waiting to make a deal with all of the home remodeling customers that weren't showing up. 
chrizow
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by chrizow »

dangerboy wrote: I'm not looking for old windows.  This is one area where I don't mind violating the historic integrity of the house.  I'm going for maximum energy efficiency, but if I can find an historically sensitive design then that's OK.
ah, i read the original post incorrectly.  carry on! 
PumpkinStalker
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by PumpkinStalker »

Here's a company located in Harrisonville that makes wood windows.

http://www.historicalwoodwindows.com/contact.htm

I'm thinking we might be needing the gentrification section of the forum afterall!
chrizow
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by chrizow »

PumpkinStalker wrote: I'm thinking we might be needing the gentrification section of the forum afterall!
i actually would like to see a DIY-type section.  hmmm...
PumpkinStalker
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by PumpkinStalker »

chrizow wrote: i actually would like to see a DIY-type section.  hmmm...
Seconded.  Someone else ....im2kull?  suggested it a while ago.  I support it.
LindseyLohan
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by LindseyLohan »

PumpkinStalker wrote: Seconded.  Someone else ....im2kull?  suggested it a while ago.  I support it.
Thirded...

I know this site is supposed to be about development, but I don't want to start a habit of checking multiple forums everyday. Talking to locals is nice too because you can share info on contractors, stores, sales, etc.