Medtronic considering KC for relocation

KC topics that don't fit anywhere else.
Highlander
City Center Square
City Center Square

Medtronic considering KC for relocation

Post by Highlander »

http://economy.kansascity.com/?q=node/1439

1400 Jobs in during this recession would be a huge boost for the area.  KC is in competition with San Antonio on this one.  They are looking at the former Applebee's complex in Lenexa (which is strange because I thought the former Applebees office was on 435 in Overland Park....did they move again?).  The Kansas burbs are probably in a better position to offer the necassary incentives to hook this one than KCMO.   
Gretz
Colonnade
Colonnade

Re: Medtronic considering KC for relocation

Post by Gretz »

Highlander wrote: http://economy.kansascity.com/?q=node/1439

1400 Jobs in during this recession would be a huge boost for the area.  KC is in competition with San Antonio on this one.  They are looking at the former Applebee's complex in Lenexa (which is strange because I thought the former Applebees office was on 435 in Overland Park....did they move again?).  The Kansas burbs are probably in a better position to offer the necassary incentives to hook this one than KCMO.   
Applebees built a new corporate headquarters in Lenexa just off Renner road that opened a year or two ago.  I watched them build it out of my window at my old office.  It is a god-awfull 3 story sprawling monstrosity.  Not sure if Medtronics is considering the old HQ or hopes to buy/lease the new one after Applebees is consolidated into IHOP's corporate structure.
Highlander
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by Highlander »

Gretz wrote: Applebees built a new corporate headquarters in Lenexa just off Renner road that opened a year or two ago.  I watched them build it out of my window at my old office.  It is a god-awfull 3 story sprawling monstrosity.  Not sure if Medtronics is considering the old HQ or hopes to buy/lease the new one after Applebees is consolidated into IHOP's corporate structure.
With 1400 employees, the old one in OP is probably too small, must be the new one. 
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

1,400 jobs with an average salary of $31,000 per year.
Go get em JoCo.  Where will these people live making 31k?  Certainly not Johnson County.  This will do more for the MO side and KCK than JoCo. ;).
KC-wildcat
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by KC-wildcat »

average salary of $31k?  Does this statistic include janitors and maintenance personnel? 
Maitre D
The Quiet Chair
The Quiet Chair

Post by Maitre D »

That's barely telemarketing wage.
[img width=472 height=40]http://media.kansascity.com/images/champions_blue.gif[/img]

"For 15 years...KU won every time. There was no rivalry" - Frank Martin
kcmetro
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by kcmetro »

You could barely survive on 31k.  No way you could raise a family on that without skipping meals.  What a joke.
kcdcchef
The Quiet Chair
The Quiet Chair

Post by kcdcchef »

kcmetro wrote: You could barely survive on 31k.  No way you could raise a family on that without skipping meals.  What a joke.
i have many employees that make between 24-32k and lead very happy lives, and are very happy with their wage and their lot in life. they really are. many of them raise kids on that wage, and i have been to a couple of their homes, decent homes. the low 30's may seem like peanuts to a lot of us, but you can easily make a nice living on that.
MU FINISHED THE YEAR RANKED HIGHER IN HOOPS AND FOOTBALL THAN THE KAY U JAYDORKS. UP YOURS KAY U JAYDORK FANS!!!! :D :D :D :D :D
K.C.Toga
Parking Garage
Parking Garage

Post by K.C.Toga »

I have been a correctional officer I for 11 and a half years. I only make 30,200.00 a year. Please show me how to raise a family and save for retirement on that!  :)
A snake in the grass is an asp, but a grasp in the asp is a goose.
LindseyLohan
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by LindseyLohan »

Allied National bought their old HQ. I know they have some extra space they wanted to rent out, but not near enough for 1400 people...
Highlander
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by Highlander »

GRID wrote: Go get em JoCo.  Where will these people live making 31k?  Certainly not Johnson County.  This will do more for the MO side and KCK than JoCo. ;).
OK, I'm not the most attentive reader in the world but I can find no reference to an average salary of 31,000$ per year in the article I posted.  All I read is that the workers would be "highly skilled".  I agree that 31,000$ would be tough to support a family on but that's an average (if it is even the official average) and there will be a substantial number of employees making significantly more than that. 
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

It was in the newer article that's in the paper today.  The star typically does a more in debth follow up article after a little teaser story comes out the day before.

1400 jobs is 1400 jobs.  It's good for the metro.  But if you are a college grad and make only 30k, then you are at the very bottom of the demographics of most colleges grads.

No way can you support a family on that salary.  You could, but you would have to live in a very modest home in a very modest part of town unless you have a dual income.

I almost think that has to be an error really.

I don't even understand this story.  That new Applebee's HQ is not that big.  Are they going to cram 1400 cubes in that?  Is Applebees all but gone from the area?
kcdcchef
The Quiet Chair
The Quiet Chair

Post by kcdcchef »

GRID wrote:

No way can you support a family on that salary.  You could, but you would have to live in a very modest home in a very modest part of town unless you have a dual income.

yet lots of people do. best cooks in kc still make like $14 an hour, and have to support a family on that. it can be done. sure, you wont have a loft in dtkc, and wont be driving a brand new car, and your kids will be clothed in clothes from wal mart and dollar general, but many people do support families on 30-35k. usually a second income in there, but modest even then.
MU FINISHED THE YEAR RANKED HIGHER IN HOOPS AND FOOTBALL THAN THE KAY U JAYDORKS. UP YOURS KAY U JAYDORK FANS!!!! :D :D :D :D :D
cityscape
New York Life
New York Life

Post by cityscape »

Most recent grads are typically just supporting themselves and not families.  31K allows you to live decently by yourself (if you spend wisely). 
Highlander
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by Highlander »

cityscape wrote: Most recent grads are typically just supporting themselves and not families.  31K allows you to live decently by yourself (if you spend wisely). 
31,000 is pretty poor for any recent grad in a skilled profession.  What I suspect is that the average salary that is quoted is skewed by clerical, facilities, and other unskilled workers and the skilled workers they speak of are far less than 1400 but make much more than 31,000$ on average. 
Last edited by Highlander on Wed Mar 11, 2009 6:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
kcdcchef
The Quiet Chair
The Quiet Chair

Post by kcdcchef »

Highlander wrote: 31,000 is pretty poor for any recent grad in a skilled profession.  In my industy, a recent grad with a masters degree makes practically double that.  What I suspect is that the average salary that is quoted is skewed by clerical, facilities, and other unskilled workers and the skilled workers they speak of are far less than 1400 but make much more than 31,000$ on average. 
depends on profession. typical sous chef in a city like kc, pitts, cleve, baltimore, will command like $31-35k, with experience. most people leave culinary school and get an hourly paying cook job at between $11-$15 an hour. some professions better, some worse. my wife as a resident had to put in a couple of years making crap pay. salesman for sysco and us foods, right out of business school, make 33k.

you can support a family on 31-35ish, just not very well. but think about it, you can get an apartment in certain areas still for 500 a month, or less. nothing with a view or anything, and probably in not a newer area of town, but they are still out there. and you drive a crap car, pay liability on it. dont eat out often. trust me, go out where a lot of our beloved fourmers live in suburbua, you would be suprised what people make.
cityscape
New York Life
New York Life

Post by cityscape »

My wife lived on about 26k after college for quite a while and lived decently.  It can be done.  I agree that 31K is not glamorous after just graduating from college, but in this economy/market I'll bet there are several students at local colleges drooling over this potential employer.