Re: Modern Archeology

Post by missingkc »

That's cool.  Have you been down?
redperro
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by redperro »

missingkc wrote: That's cool.  Have you been down?
yes, the first time i did there was a down power line  :shock:, but i rode my bike a few weeks later and the city works cleared some of the brush and fixed the line,,,, ive shyed away from going back because the area that the staircase leads into is a creepyyyy street, ill snap some shots like ive been meaning to of this area, the marlborough east neighborhood...
mailman641
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by mailman641 »

hey redperro, that area is on my route so if you see the mail truck feel free to stop by and say hi.  Although the city did clean up a lot of trees and brush right next to the road, they didn't clear out the brush from the stairs. A resident in the area used a machete to clear it out a few months ago.  If you do go down it just watch out for dogs.  I don't see them out all the time but one of them likes to chase my truck(they're not on the gravel road part but across the small bridge).  There are no sidewalks on Agnes but I think the staircase is in the city right of way(there are power lines that run parallel with it). It serves as a good shortcut for anyone wanting to walk from 77th to 83rd st without having to walk all the way over to Prospect.
mlind
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by mlind »

mailman641 wrote: It serves as a good shortcut for anyone wanting to walk from 77th to 83rd st without having to walk all the way over to Prospect.
These staircases were built as shortcuts, often from residential areas to the streetcar line.
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

loftguy wrote: Correctamundu, Fang, it is Holly.  It's a housing and access layout that I have only seen in mountain/mining towns like Jerome, Az and Telluride, Co.

In related news, recently a westside old-timer told me that Jarboe, one block east of Holly used to run from 21st street straight down to SW Blvd.  A ridiculously steep grade.  In the late teens a milk  wagon broke loose on the hill, killing two milkmen and a horse.  After this the properties on the north side of Cesar Chavez, from Holly to Belleview, were purchased and cleared and Jarboe Street was filled in and the site leveled to make the existing park.

The cities only involvement was to facilitate the legalities and accept the park as a donation from the neighborhood.

Great story.  True..........?

Here is a link to a photo of the stairs on Belleview.

http://www.kchistory.org/cdm4/item_view ... OX=1&REC=1
There is no fifth destination.
Thaine
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by Thaine »

Great picture-must have had goats to keep the grass from getting too long.
mlind
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by mlind »

FangKC wrote: Here is a link to a photo of the stairs on Belleview.

http://www.kchistory.org/cdm4/item_view ... OX=1&REC=1
Great picture.  On the left are obviously men walking after work from a streetcar line to their homes.  Just what those stairways were designed for.
loftguy
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by loftguy »

That is a great picture.  Guess 20th and Belleview is now hidden in the wooded area below Observation Park.

Related to Thaines comment, does anyone know how lawns were trimmed back in those days?  Was a push mower used?
redperro
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by redperro »

8)

definately a neighborhood of character..
moderne
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by moderne »

Wondering about the african-american children in the photo.  Was this an african-american neighborhood before it became Hispanic? 
mlind
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by mlind »

loftguy wrote: Related to Thaines comment, does anyone know how lawns were trimmed back in those days?  Was a push mower used?
I would assume a push mower or a scythe.
redperro
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by redperro »

moderne wrote: Wondering about the african-american children in the photo.  Was this an african-american neighborhood before it became Hispanic? 
it was mixed area, but this area has been hispanic part of kc orignally, i guess it was an irish area too at one time
loftguy
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by loftguy »

redperro wrote: it was mixed area, but this area has been hispanic part of kc orignally, i guess it was an irish area too at one time
It was hispanic, black, scot/irish, and there was a pretty significant swedish population on the westside too(1870's-1940)
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

Parts of the Westside was also the homestead of Indian agent and fur-trader Major Andrew Drips.
There is no fifth destination.
SemenOV

Modern Archeology

Post by SemenOV »

Standard Modern are some of the best lathes ever built and are still made in Canada.  If you do not buy this tell me where it is
smh
Supporter

Post by smh »

SemenOV wrote: Standard Modern are some of the best lathes ever built and are still made in Canada.  If you do not buy this tell me where it is
Everyone recognizes that this dude is a bot...correct?
"It's only when you leave Kansas City do you realize truly how great a city it is. ... If you have to go away, go away for a while. You'll be back. And when you come back, bring your ideas and willingness to make Kansas City the best."- Sly James
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

smh wrote: Everyone recognizes that this dude is a bot...correct?
i thought i banned it...