trader joe's.

KC topics that don't fit anywhere else.
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: trader joe's.

Post by KCMax »

aknowledgeableperson wrote: True, for you and others it may be absurd.  But for the locals it may just be a way to regulate liquor sales just like zoning may regulate what may or may not be built on property or how it is used.

It's quirky but this country is made of up of many types of people and beliefs.
It obviously doesn't regulate it if people are finding ways around it.
SAVE THE PLAZA - FROM ZOMBIES! Find out how at:

http://twitter.com/TheKCRag
aknowledgeableperson
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by aknowledgeableperson »

No.  There are just different ways of regulating sales.  In some states sales are only from state owned outlets.  In some states hard liquor is only sold at liquor stores, no food stores, etc. 
I may be right.  I may be wrong.  But there is a lot of gray area in-between.
chrizow
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by chrizow »

aknowledgeableperson wrote: No.  There are just different ways of regulating sales.  In some states sales are only from state owned outlets.  In some states hard liquor is only sold at liquor stores, no food stores, etc. 
yes, and all of these represent arbitrary, prohibition-era bureaucracy.  it has nothing to do with the morals or beliefs of "locals" in 2011.  do you really think that people in JoCo feel strongly that selling 4% beer in a grocery store is immoral or inappopriate-but placing 12 inches of sheetrock between the beer area and the groceries is congruent with the local values?  it is arbitrary regulation and, in 2011, the work-arounds or exceptions swallow the rule completely. 
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

aknowledgeableperson wrote: No.  There are just different ways of regulating sales.  In some states sales are only from state owned outlets.  In some states hard liquor is only sold at liquor stores, no food stores, etc. 
Right. And by and large, these regulations do a terrible job at achieving whatever the purported goals is supposed to be.

mlind
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by mlind »

What are the liquor laws in KS?

In mid-century 1900's, 18 year olds could buy 3.2 beer.  So, there were lots of taverns catering to that.  And fake IDs were sought after.

I don't think you (over 21) could buy hard liquor by the drink, so you joined a 'club' that bought the liquor and then sold it to you. So, in theory, you were drinking your own liquor.  
bobbyhawks
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by bobbyhawks »

mlind wrote: What are the liquor laws in KS?
2:00 AM bar closings, only 3.2 beer in grocery and gas stations, Sunday store sales only if approved in your city, liquor stores cannot sell anything without alcohol, including glasses/shot glasses not attached to a package of liquor...

I think that the Crossing (rest its soul) at KU had some funky rules to it a few years back since it was grandfathered into a local Lawrence liquor law (as it was next to a place of worship).  My Dad was either able to buy me 3.2 beer at 18 or the bartender made that up so he could sell me some beer.  They were only able to sell 3.2 beer, no liquor, and had to close at midnight, so I tend to believe it was still on the old rules.
mlind
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by mlind »

bobbyhawks wrote: 2:00 AM bar closings, only 3.2 beer in grocery and gas stations, Sunday store sales only if approved in your city, liquor stores cannot sell anything without alcohol, including glasses/shot glasses not attached to a package of liquor...

I think that the Crossing (rest its soul) at KU had some funky rules to it a few years back since it was grandfathered into a local Lawrence liquor law (as it was next to a place of worship).  My Dad was either able to buy me 3.2 beer at 18 or the bartender made that up so he could sell me some beer.  They were only able to sell 3.2 beer, no liquor, and had to close at midnight, so I tend to believe it was still on the old rules.
These were called blue laws.  Among other things, ommerce was prohibited on Sundays.  Other than restaurants (so you could go out to eat after church), nothing was open.  I think there are still some states than ban liquor sales on Sunday.

Coors was the big 3.2 beer.  It wasn't sold in Missouri or points east.  My father said it was because liquor distribution was controlled by the mafia and the Coors family wouldn't deal with them. 

The required proof for guys that they were 18 was to show your draft card.  How things have changed.

Everybody should check out Blackhand Strawman: The History Of Organized Crime In Kansas City.  I saw it a couple of years ago.  Really interesting.  I had no idea all that was happening when I was growing up. 
Sportster
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by Sportster »

So is this place open yet? Anyone been by? Mebbe its time to check on progress! Hmmmmm

Sportster
...smell a 3-buck chuck nite comin! 8) 8)
MidtownGrrl
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by MidtownGrrl »

I believe the last I heard was June/July 2011.  Can't remember the source of that info, though.
Sportster
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by Sportster »

MidtownGrrl wrote: I believe the last I heard was June/July 2011.  Can't remember the source of that info, though.
GAAAAAAA!!!!!!!
My two bottles of Chuck ain't gonna last that long.
ROAD TRIP!!!!

Sportster
...goin ta chesterfield
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

Opening sometime between July and Sept.

http://www.kansascity.com/2011/02/21/26 ... -jump.html

KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

Trader Joe's taking applications

http://economy.kansascity.com/?q=node/10819

kard
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by kard »

The sign is up...something about that makes it more real now.  Location is north east corner, below AMC and Target.  I didn't peek inside, but looks like the inside space is ready to be built out by TJ's.
Haikus are easy
But sometimes they don't make sense
Refrigerator
kansas
Pad site
Pad site

Post by kansas »

I've never been to a trader Joe's, but I shop at Aldi all the time.  It's my understanding that the same party owns both.  Anyone have any knowledge re:  similarity of the products?
midtown
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by midtown »

kansas wrote: I've never been to a trader Joe's, but I shop at Aldi all the time.  It's my understanding that the same party owns both.  Anyone have any knowledge re:  similarity of the products?
Whole Foods X Aldi = Trader Joe's.
hd87sportster
Parking Garage
Parking Garage

Post by hd87sportster »

kansas wrote: I've never been to a trader Joe's, but I shop at Aldi all the time.  It's my understanding that the same party owns both.  Anyone have any knowledge re:  similarity of the products?
Some of the cheese is the exact same stuff - just labeled differently. The gourmet lines at Aldi are the same, dips, and things. That's about all my wife can remember right off. There's probably more - given the Aldi inventory is fluid from week to week outside of some core items.

Sportster
...cointin the days
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

midtown wrote: Whole Foods X Aldi = Trader Joe's.
Whole Foods X Aldi = Trader Joe's + people that are too cool for Aldi, but think they are cool for shopping at Trader Joe's.

The place is okay, but highly overated IMO.
chrizow
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by chrizow »

who measures their "coolness" by shopping at a certain grocery store?  

i am firmly in the whole foods/brookside market (and trader joe's to an extent) camp myself, but not b/c i am cool.  it's more that places like sun fresh, price chopper, hy-vee, and hen house are weak and don't carry the shit i want, so i have to go elsewhere.  
aknowledgeableperson
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by aknowledgeableperson »

The shi* you want is what makes you "cool".
:P
I may be right.  I may be wrong.  But there is a lot of gray area in-between.