OFFICIAL: Kansas City Mayoral Race

KC topics that don't fit anywhere else.
kcsoil
Parking Garage
Parking Garage

Re: OFFICIAL: Kansas City Mayoral Race

Post by kcsoil »

ShowMeKC wrote: How did it go last night btw?
I thought it went great, but obviously I'm biased.  :wink:

It was cool to meet a few of the folks from this site. I'm sorry I didn't get a chance to visit more, and apologize if I seemed distracted. Hope our paths cross again soon.

To digress... Pretty cool stuff at the Dolphin, though, I thought. When I lived in Denver, we didn't have any commercial galleries that showed edgy work like that. You could find some at artist co-ops, but a lot of times that stuff was real sloppy.
ShowMeKC
Penntower
Penntower

Post by ShowMeKC »

who all went to it that were from this site?
Thrillcekr
Penntower
Penntower

Post by Thrillcekr »

midtown guy wrote: I was going to let it go, but I can't. 

First of all, read this article from the Pitch on the Citizen's Association.   It'll give you a bit of an idea who the people are who are supporting Brooks financially.  http://pitch.com/2007-02-15/news/power-to-some-people/

As for how people vote, one thing this election has taught me is that the majority of people in this city vote based on name recognition, not on what people can actually do.  It's too hard for people to find out what candidates actually stand for...how else woud McFaddin-Weaver get through the primary at this point.

As for Funkhouser's funding, he had very little up to this point.  I believe he, Henry Klein and DiCapo were the bottom three candidates in terms of funding...I can't find the numbers on KC Buzz Blog any more.  But he was completely low-budget on his campaign.

Again, vote for who you want to vote for.  But do it knowledgably.  Funkhouser doesn't oppose all TIFs. The Citizens associaiton isn't a group of nice neighborhood people.  At one point they were, not so much any more.

I won't be voting for Brooks. Given many attempts to say what he say what he stood for, he said he was against crime (which separates him from other candidates how?).  He has never given any scenerio of how he planned to actually do something about it.  I've tried to find out what his plans are.  I can't.  He won't say.  It leads me to the conclusion that he doesn't.  He's left me no option.  I posted four times the question, what's he stand for.  You still cannot answer me.  No one has been able to answer me on it...which is really scary.
It gives me a bit of an idea as to their opinion which is pretty much baseless.  By their own admission they don't really have any evidence of any wrongdoing.  I think you should reread it.  Speculation doesn't equal fact.  Given the Pitch's propensity for churning out trash and becoming a borderline tabloid over the last few years, I wouldn't put too much stock in anything they publish.

Personally, I can't see where there's anything wrong with real estate lawyers being involved in these organizations.  Citizens are made up of people of all walks of life and of course it makes sense to have people who know something about running a business being in charge of an association.  Here's a question for you though.   Do you think real estate lawyers would have a lot to gain by declining property values and escalationg crime rates?  I really can't see how it does.  I think just the opposite is probably true.  Even in the article you posted from the Pitch I'm not seeing anything said about any really major amounts of cash being thrown around.  Certainly not enough to buy anyone off.  So, I guess none of this really adds up to any kind of strong evidence of corruption.

I call bullshit on Funkhouser's campaign funding.  Show me some numbers.  I know I saw his commercials on television at least as many times if not more than Brooks.  In fact, most of the candidates had more air time than Brooks.  Nace and Riederer probably the most of all.

Apparently a ton of people must have voted for Funkhouser based on name recognition too then.  How many candidates were there?  12?  And he beat out 10 of them in the primaries.  Doesn't sound like he's at a competitive disadvantage to me in terms of dollars or name recognition.  What you're saying doesn't make sense.  What the hell happened?  Did God miracle Funk through the primaries against insurmountable odds?  I don't think so.  He's on a level playing field with the other candidates in terms of name recognition and financial support or he wouldn't be in the race today. 

If Funkhouser loses then he'll lose because he hasn't proven to the public that he has the right stuff so please, no more excuses.  He's in the Star daily for christ sakes.  In fact, didn't he get their endorsement?  How much more support would a person want than to be backed up by the most widely spread publication in the metro?

You've posted the question four times but since you singled me out and began trying to needle me first I asked you to back up your speculations and unsubstantiated claims with some facts and all you keep doing is responding with no facts.  If you're going to jump somebody on here then you're obligated to back your own ass up before you can demand that someone else does.  Ask yourself this question.  How good is your candidate if you can't back yourself up with anything but diversionary tactics rather than something concrete?

Now, do I think Brooks is the ultimate mayoral candidate?  Absolutely not.  I voted for Chuck Eddy and I would have picked him and probably 2 or 3 other candidates over the two that we have left.  In my mind Brooks is just the best one we have left.  The way I see it being a number cruncher isn't as valuable as far as experience on a  resume for a mayoral candidate as having spent time on the council, 10 years as a police officer interacting with the community, president of Ad Hoc Group Against Crime, Mayor pro tem, and prior experience as the assistant city manager of Kansas City.  You tell me what experience Funkhouser has that trumps all of that.  His own website says he's been an auditor and a social worker.  That's it?  Puhleez!

Anyways, this whole debate seems to be getting a bit redundant doesn't it?  I'll finish by saying vote for who you feel is the best candidate.  Whether I agree with you or not I'm glad you feel it's important enough to get involved.  So many don't care at all.  See you at the polls.
Last edited by Thrillcekr on Sat Mar 03, 2007 4:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
aknowledgeableperson
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by aknowledgeableperson »

Brooks did rasie a sum of money during the primary, quite a bit more than Funkhouser.  But he spent very little.  No need to spend when he didn't have to.  Polls taken by many placed him in the top two so he decided to save the money for the general election.  Nothing wrong with that decision.

Funkhouser did raise some cash but he was not in the top 6 of 12 in the amount raised.  He did spend more than Brooks since his survival to the general election did have some doubt.

At this point it is important to vote, no matter which one you vote for.  And if you decide not to vote for the mayor's position at least go to the polling place, leave that place vacant, and then vote for the rest of the council.
I may be right.  I may be wrong.  But there is a lot of gray area in-between.
staubio
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by staubio »

Was there any additional detail in the Funkhouser presentation for those of us that weren't able to attend?
dangerboy
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by dangerboy »

staubio wrote: Was there any additional detail in the Funkhouser presentation for those of us that weren't able to attend?
No. It wasn't really the major downtown policy address that is was promoted to be, and not much new from the debates I have seen.  Nevertheless, it was still interesting.
midtown guy
New York Life
New York Life

Post by midtown guy »

As far as reports go, this report from the Star shows campaign spending and $$ per vote the candidates received:  http://www.kansascity.com/mld/kansascit ... 806346.htm

It shows Brooks at $17 per vote, Funkhouser at $6 per vote.

If you use these results http://kctv5.com/Global/link.asp?L=213935 as the official vote tally, that gives Brooks 15,057 votes, to Funks 14,726. 

That would estimate the total spending for Brooks at this pont to be $256K, to Funks $88k

And as one other poster noted, Brooks "barely spent anything" at this point because he didn't need to.

Brooks has a LOT of city government experience.  And for all his experience, I see him strangely void of true accomplishments, and can't find anything on his website, through his campaign, through his supporters, etc that shows ONE THING that he plans to do as mayor.  All I'm saying is that if you have no platform and you're running for mayor, and you have major $$$ behind your campaign, you may not just be speaking your mind in office...but speaking the mind of your supporters.  It's fairly precedented in KC politics.

I like Alvin. He seems like a nice man...but I find his lack of any public vision for what he would want to do for this city (after 30+ years of public service) to be very concerning. You may not like Funkhouser's stance, but at least he has one...

And I really wish someone could prove me wrong and show me Brooks' platform of what he wants to accomplish...still waiting.
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

midtown guy wrote: I like Alvin. He seems like a nice man...but I find his lack of any public vision for what he would want to do for this city (after 30+ years of public service) to be very concerning. You may not like Funkhouser's stance, but at least he has one...

And I really wish someone could prove me wrong and show me Brooks' platform of what he wants to accomplish...still waiting.
i'm sure his handlers are telling him not to be specific; they probably think it's what caused the other candidates to fail. they're probably telling him that since funk has been so critical that he'll turn everyone off and he'll be the good-natured alternative. regardless, a vote for brooks is a vote for continuing the machine that nearly brought this city to ruin.
KCTigerFan
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by KCTigerFan »

The current administration "nearly brought this city to ruin?"  Please explain?
ShowMeKC
Penntower
Penntower

Post by ShowMeKC »

I wasn't the person who said that, but I would like to comment on it, they didn't drive us to ruin, but they did do a very good job of ignoring the rest of our city and ignoring the mounting problems around the city, especially in the urban core. Even though they improved Downtown, the Plaza and the Northland.
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

KCTigerFan wrote: The current administration "nearly brought this city to ruin?"  Please explain?
it's a more general comment about the business community and the democratic machine in the city and county. i'm not dissing kay specifically, but she plays the game with them.
Maitre D
The Quiet Chair
The Quiet Chair

Post by Maitre D »

aknowledgeableperson wrote: #2 TSC was already built and to build new DT would have cost the taxpayer mcuh more than what the cost is now.
LIAR.

The Cardinals got a new DT park and they are paying farrrrrr less than KC taxpayers are paying for the TSC renovation.

Worst case:  KC could've given the Royals that 250M as full payment for renovation, or seed money covering the vast bulk of a DT park.  And been a wash.
[img width=472 height=40]http://media.kansascity.com/images/champions_blue.gif[/img]

"For 15 years...KU won every time. There was no rivalry" - Frank Martin
mean
Administrator
Administrator

Post by mean »

Actually it remains to be seen what is improved and what isn't. If the P&L shortfalls and the city has to pay Cordish out of the general fund or whatever...let's just say it won't be pretty, and in that situation, Funkhouser would be the city's freaking saviour.
"It is not to my good friend's heresy that I impute his honesty. On the contrary, 'tis his honesty that has brought upon him the character of heretic." -- Ben Franklin
lock+load
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by lock+load »

mean wrote: Actually it remains to be seen what is improved and what isn't. If the P&L shortfalls and the city has to pay Cordish out of the general fund or whatever...let's just say it won't be pretty, and in that situation, Funkhouser would be the city's freaking saviour.
And what, exactly, is Funkhouser going to do to be the "saviour?"  Say "I told you so?"  That isn't a saviour in my book.  The P&L is a done deal, and we've got to make it work.
midtown guy
New York Life
New York Life

Post by midtown guy »

For one, he'll make sure that the next project makes sense financially so that we're not paying for 5, 6, 7 or more of these types of projects.

I also think he'll find ways to consolidate some duplication of functions in the city beaurocracy (like shared resources between animal control and KCPD for one) that will save $$ and improve services at the same time. 

Savior is probably way too big of a term for anyone to live up to...they're only one man with one vote.
tat2kc
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by tat2kc »

I absolutely agree that TIFF is a vital tool in the city's pitch to recruit businesses and spur development. I am concerned that there is no policy in place for these tax breaks though.  Every developer in the city shouldn't expect to get tax breaks. Briarcliff is one of the iffy projects.  If we actually had a policy, and guildelines, then we could see if this project was jusitified or not.  I am slightly in favor of the TIFF for the apartments on Armour, but I'm less happy with the size of the breaks.  It seems that some developers don't want ANY risk associated with their projects.  It seems sometimes that the city is like a homeowner who puts in a new pool while the roof is leaking on the house.  Yea, the pool looks great, but what about the house??? We are doing a lot of new stuff, but not taking care of what we already have.

I agree with Funk's stance that we need to carefully look at these projects, and make sure that the city isn't taking on too much.  I like his priorities: infrasctucture, deferred maintainence, public transit, and now education.  I am not so sure where Brooks stands on these issues, and what he's done to fix these problems.  He's been around for a while, and should have been more active on these issues before campaign season. 

I do like that the two gentlemen are being so civil at this point.  I'd love to see the mayor's race continue to the end in a respectful, civil vein. So far so good, but its still early after the primary.  Keep up the civility, guys!!
Are you sure we're talking about the same God here, because yours sounds kind of like a dick.
lock+load
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by lock+load »

Finally, a poll!  Leave it to KCTV-5 to get the first one done.

Poll shows Funkhouser over Brooks by three percentage points.

Interesting that the spread is only 8 points from those saying we're giving "too many" tax incentives.
kard
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by kard »

They should have asked where those polled live so they could subtract the Downtown residents.  &&&
Haikus are easy
But sometimes they don't make sense
Refrigerator
Thrillcekr
Penntower
Penntower

Post by Thrillcekr »

Odd that Brooks's biggest supporters come from the youngest age group.  I would have guessed just the opposite.
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

Thrillcekr wrote: Odd that Brooks's biggest supporters come from the youngest age group.  I would have guessed just the opposite.
wow... funk should have stood on the corner of 18th and vine last week, not 19th and baltimore.