Re: Kansas, Missouri battle over companies

Post by brewcrew1000 »

I saw an article that said AMC is owned by 80% retail investors
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

^Naive retail investors. But it is fascinating how Robinhood investors can impact the market or at least certain stocks and screw with shorts. AMC is benefiting nicely, for now, and great they are making the most of it.
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

AMC eyeing ArcLight, Pacific theaters shuttered by pandemic
Some ArcLight Cinemas and Pacific Theatres may again see the light of a projector.

The Los Angeles-based chains, which shuttered during the coronavirus crisis, have caught the eye of Leawood-based AMC Entertainment Holdings Inc., which announced on Tuesday that it aims to raise $230.5 million to acquire additional theater leases and invest in its existing theaters, as well as pursue deleveraging opportunities.
ArcLight Cinemas had 11 locations, including a half-dozen in the L.A. area, as well as San Diego; two in Chicago; the Washington, D.C., area; and Boston. Pacific Theatres had six cinemas, all in the L.A. area.
https://www.bizjournals.com/kansascity/ ... 2021-06-03
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

With AMC's unrealistic meme stock boost they'd probably be better off taking advantage of that by diversifying into other entertainment areas rather than buy out more theaters given that movie theater attendance has been declining the last 20 years.
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

earthling wrote: Sat Jun 05, 2021 2:54 pm With AMC's unrealistic meme stock boost they'd probably be better off taking advantage of that by diversifying into other entertainment areas rather than buy out more theaters given that movie theater attendance has been declining the last 20 years.
Mainevent by AMC?

AMC’s Dave & Busters?
DB market cap is less than AMC’s cash stockpile now I think.
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

^D&B great idea, would be a good fit and can open them up within theaters or next door (where not already present). D&B needs to keep evolving though to whatever recreational games are hot at the moment and broaden out as well. They should have a family line of stores and a line under a hip named brand that attracts older or urban mindset, with foodie items/drinks, etc. But AMC is blowing it buying theaters that are closing up anyway.
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

earthling wrote: Sat Jun 05, 2021 5:18 pm ^D&B great idea, would be a good fit and can open them up within theaters or next door (where not already present). D&B needs to keep evolving though to whatever recreational games are hot at the moment and broaden out as well. They should have a family line of stores and a line under a hip named brand that attracts older or urban mindset, with foodie items/drinks, etc. But AMC is blowing it buying theaters that are closing up anyway.
Chicken N Pickle. Bar-K great concepts to take national.
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

normalthings wrote: Sat Jun 05, 2021 4:50 pm
earthling wrote: Sat Jun 05, 2021 2:54 pm With AMC's unrealistic meme stock boost they'd probably be better off taking advantage of that by diversifying into other entertainment areas rather than buy out more theaters given that movie theater attendance has been declining the last 20 years.
Mainevent by AMC?

AMC’s Dave & Busters?
AMC will start selling pre propped popcorn via retail, take out, and delivery. Microwaveable unpopped at home options coming as well.

I wonder if we see them offer ghost kitchen items.
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

^That doesn't sound like enough of a revenue generator to offset slowdown of theater attendance but might work if able to penetrate retail widely with a big push. However they obviously can't charge that much for popcorn in retail stores. Liked your idea about acquiring D&B, seems a better way to diversify.
WoodDraw
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by WoodDraw »

I assume it’s a licensing play?
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

normalthings wrote: Thu Nov 04, 2021 9:48 pm
normalthings wrote: Sat Jun 05, 2021 4:50 pm
Mainevent by AMC?

AMC’s Dave & Busters?
AMC will start selling pre propped popcorn via retail, take out, and delivery. Microwaveable unpopped at home options coming as well.

I wonder if we see them offer ghost kitchen items.

https://beltmag.com/movie-palaces-golden-age-rust-belt/
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

Creative Planning crossed $100 billion in AUM.
Highlander
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by Highlander »

Another company leaving KCMO for OP Kansas. I do not, however, see any mention of incentives being used in the deal. Unfortunately, one of the downsides of Sprint's demise is that it left a lot of quality space open in the burbs for various local companies to occupy. The company that is moving was located at 83rd and Ward Parkway so it's not a loss to downtown or the Plaza.

https://www.kshb.com/news/local-news/oc ... UuuPkPgRZ0
AlkaliAxel
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by AlkaliAxel »

Highlander wrote: Tue Nov 30, 2021 12:22 pm Another company leaving KCMO for OP Kansas. I do not, however, see any mention of incentives being used in the deal. Unfortunately, one of the downsides of Sprint's demise is that it left a lot of quality space open in the burbs for various local companies to occupy. The company that is moving was located at 83rd and Ward Parkway so it's not a loss to downtown or the Plaza.

https://www.kshb.com/news/local-news/oc ... UuuPkPgRZ0
You gotta admit though the renderings of that new Sprint campus are really fucking cool. It’s look like Silicon Valley type campus it’s so big and exciting.
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

BizJournal doesn't mention incentives either.
https://www.bizjournals.com/kansascity/ ... ampus.html

Reasons given are for what the campus has to offer involving $750M upgrades. A recent hybrid trend as mentioned in Office thread, they are upgrading to nicer but lesser space - in this case with a lot of 'Zoom rooms'.
dukuboy1
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by dukuboy1 »

also I know there is a "bummer impact" to employees when they move across the state lines. Some employees who had not been paying 2 state income taxes will now have too. I know I always disliked owning KS money when I worked in KS but lived in MO (happens in reverse as well)
AlkaliAxel
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by AlkaliAxel »

earthling wrote: Wed Dec 01, 2021 9:53 am BizJournal doesn't mention incentives either.
https://www.bizjournals.com/kansascity/ ... ampus.html

Reasons given are for what the campus has to offer involving $750M upgrades. A recent hybrid trend as mentioned in Office thread, they are upgrading to nicer but lesser space - in this case with a lot of 'Zoom rooms'.
Missouri has nothing like this Aspiria space. I don't think many states around the country do either tbh, that campus is a gem. I can't blame anyone for moving there.
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

It looks like The Glade (formerly Oxford on Blue) project will compete against the Aspiria space--but on the Missouri side.

https://martincitytelegraph.com/2021/1 ... nce-world/

https://thegladekc.com/
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

^That's a healthy kind of competition as KCMO will have both urban and these kinds of trending products to offer. JoCo constantly evolving as well while densifying. As long as incentives aren't used to steal companies, each side of state line one upping each other can potentially help the metro stand out over other metros.
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

dukuboy1 wrote: Wed Dec 01, 2021 6:21 pm also I know there is a "bummer impact" to employees when they move across the state lines. Some employees who had not been paying 2 state income taxes will now have too. I know I always disliked owning KS money when I worked in KS but lived in MO (happens in reverse as well)
Maybe most employees of that company already live on KS side and wants to avoid KCMO income tax.