2023 KCMO Election

KC topics that don't fit anywhere else.
mean
Administrator
Administrator

Re: 2023 KCMO Election

Post by mean »

I don't have any reason to suspect these are the same people posting as sock puppets.

I do question the insistence on a "cultural issue" in the black community regarding "absentee fathers" when we have incarcerated young black men at insane rates, made penalties harsher for crimes young black men are likely to commit, and outlawed things like marijuana because they might make white women tap their feet to that negro jazz music. Denying that the problems are in any way systemic and placing the blame on the victims is... victim blaming. Again.
phuqueue
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by phuqueue »

DColeKC wrote: Mon Jun 21, 2021 3:56 pm
phuqueue wrote: Mon Jun 21, 2021 3:21 pm I don't actually find most of what you say about race to be even remotely respectful to the actual people you are talking about, even if you remain cordial toward the people you are talking to
Well, let's just dance around the hard topics out of fear of being disrespectful why don't we. That'll fix this countries issues! I'm not sure how you'd find anything I've said in this conversation disrespectful. I don't deny the history. I don't disagree with who suffers the most from poverty in this country. I just don't think more reparations will do anything positive for black Americans. You have a portion of this country who may disagree with how to help the problem, but won't say anything realistic or honest. If we are going to acknowledge the issues facing black Americans, you have to include the issues that outside help can't and won't address. If my willingness to bring those topics up is somehow disrespectful, I'm ok with it.

Do you think reparations will help fix the issues facing the black community?
Do you admit or deny there's a major cultural issue in the black community in regards to absentee fathers?
If you admit that's a problem, do you think having more present fathers would be beneficial?

It's pathetic that we can't have open and honest conversations about race without someone being called racist or it being implied that being against certain liberal movements must mean you don't care about minorities or the issues they face.

Wrong - I don't want anyone being forced into crime to survive. I don't want anyone living on the streets or in a neighborhood where street violence is just a part of everyday life. I know crime would be so rare if poverty was rare. I just disagree with some of the suggestions or ideas on how to fix the issues.

But here we are, a small portion of this countries citizens so easily offended we will never solve the issues that need solved the most.
The main politics thread is already a cesspool, so why do you have to spill it over into other threads? If you really want to air all your noxious views, just go back to that thread and reread all the posts from the last time we did this and pretend they're new, cuz writing them all over again is all I'd end up doing anyway if I indulged you again.
im2kull
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by im2kull »

Please don't refer to slavery in the past tense. It still exists and is widespread in much of the African continent today.

And no, I'm not talking about "Modern Day Slavery" and the woke downplaying of what "Slavery" is. I could care less about millennial's who think they're "Slaves" to the banks they knowingly borrowed money from, and other idiotic nonsense. I'm talking about people being dragged around in chains, sold to other people, and put to work, raped, and shot to death slaves. In case ya'll didn't notice that kind of slavery STILL exists in the world today. I suggest starting there if you want to have ANY conversation about how "terrible" and "unjust" it is being Black in America or "Modern Day Slavery".

And one last thing - America WAS NOT the driver of the Atlantic slave trade, the slave trade wasn't about America, and by far, MOST slaves were sold and transported to South America. Americas part of the slave trade was pretty small. Ya'll need to seriously brush up on your history and help put a stop to these dumb common misconceptions.
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

mean wrote: Mon Jun 21, 2021 6:49 pm I don't have any reason to suspect these are the same people posting as sock puppets.

I do question the insistence on a "cultural issue" in the black community regarding "absentee fathers" when we have incarcerated young black men at insane rates, made penalties harsher for crimes young black men are likely to commit, and outlawed things like marijuana because they might make white women tap their feet to that negro jazz music. Denying that the problems are in any way systemic and placing the blame on the victims is... victim blaming. Again.
Blaming people because of their race is 100% wrong but blaming them because they're idiots is not victim blaming.

This is just juvenile crimes:
https://www.ojjdp.gov/ojstatbb/crime/ucr.asp?table_in=2
Excluding "other" from the numbers

Whites and Blacks commit drug crimes at equal rates as youth
Blacks have assault, violent crimes at higher rates as youth
Whites have drunkeness and DUI at higher rates as youth.

So of course blacks will have higher sentencing as juveniles. DUI by itself isn't as serious a crime and will come with lower penalties.

Disparities in drug sentencing is a problem we need to solve, disparities for assault is not. And figuring out why black kids commit more violent crimes is something worth focusing on.

im2kull wrote: Tue Jun 22, 2021 12:46 am Please don't refer to slavery in the past tense. It still exists and is widespread in much of the African continent today.
US government (federal, state or local) formally legalized slavery is what's relevant for US reparations.

Reparations for modern day slavery should come from the organizations that benefit from the practice. If your supply chain uses slaves because you didn't trace your materials or labor your business is complacent.
DColeKC
Ambassador

Post by DColeKC »

phuqueue wrote: Mon Jun 21, 2021 6:55 pm
DColeKC wrote: Mon Jun 21, 2021 3:56 pm
phuqueue wrote: Mon Jun 21, 2021 3:21 pm I don't actually find most of what you say about race to be even remotely respectful to the actual people you are talking about, even if you remain cordial toward the people you are talking to
Well, let's just dance around the hard topics out of fear of being disrespectful why don't we. That'll fix this countries issues! I'm not sure how you'd find anything I've said in this conversation disrespectful. I don't deny the history. I don't disagree with who suffers the most from poverty in this country. I just don't think more reparations will do anything positive for black Americans. You have a portion of this country who may disagree with how to help the problem, but won't say anything realistic or honest. If we are going to acknowledge the issues facing black Americans, you have to include the issues that outside help can't and won't address. If my willingness to bring those topics up is somehow disrespectful, I'm ok with it.

Do you think reparations will help fix the issues facing the black community?
Do you admit or deny there's a major cultural issue in the black community in regards to absentee fathers?
If you admit that's a problem, do you think having more present fathers would be beneficial?

It's pathetic that we can't have open and honest conversations about race without someone being called racist or it being implied that being against certain liberal movements must mean you don't care about minorities or the issues they face.

Wrong - I don't want anyone being forced into crime to survive. I don't want anyone living on the streets or in a neighborhood where street violence is just a part of everyday life. I know crime would be so rare if poverty was rare. I just disagree with some of the suggestions or ideas on how to fix the issues.

But here we are, a small portion of this countries citizens so easily offended we will never solve the issues that need solved the most.
The main politics thread is already a cesspool, so why do you have to spill it over into other threads? If you really want to air all your noxious views, just go back to that thread and reread all the posts from the last time we did this and pretend they're new, cuz writing them all over again is all I'd end up doing anyway if I indulged you again.
This threads title is 2023 election and you don’t want us talking about politics???

If politics and local elections aren’t your thing, try staying out of those threads.
DColeKC
Ambassador

Post by DColeKC »

mean wrote: Mon Jun 21, 2021 6:49 pm I don't have any reason to suspect these are the same people posting as sock puppets.

I don’t disagree that there’s systemic issues. I fully agree that ridiculous policies like the war on drugs has led to far too many black men being locked up. I think all nonviolent marijuana related charges should be dropped immediately. I’ll admit that some of the absenteeism is due to fathers being locked up but that doesn’t account for most of it.

We have a problem with both victim blaming and people constantly playing victim.
phuqueue
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by phuqueue »

DColeKC wrote: Tue Jun 22, 2021 10:00 am This threads title is 2023 election and you don’t want us talking about politics???

If politics and local elections aren’t your thing, try staying out of those threads.
The thread title is, specifically, 2023 KCMO Election, and I was lurking in here because I don't live in KC anymore and am not that plugged into what's going on there and was interested in keeping tabs. But then somebody who claims to be disappointed in Lucas because "he's tried to bring national issues into city politics" made the head-scratching decision to, uh, bring national issues into the city politics thread, which has as a predictable result become further poisoned by all of the board racists taking this as your cue to crawl out of the woodwork again to voice all the same disgusting shit we've already heard from you before.

Listen, I'm not a mod, it's not my job to police threads, so I won't keep harping on it (and I'd add that this board's mods typically take an appreciated light touch, so I am not suggesting that a mod should come in here and forcibly shut this down). I only wanted, first, to warn people who typically steer clear of the politics thread that no good would come of engaging with you on this topic (not because it's "scary" to talk about but because it's a waste of time to try to have a good faith conversation about race with somebody who has no interest in confronting their own racism), and second, to suggest that if you really want to flaunt your ignorance further, there's already a better thread for that. Now I've done those things, so I'll leave it at that.
DColeKC
Ambassador

Post by DColeKC »

phuqueue wrote: Tue Jun 22, 2021 10:37 am
DColeKC wrote: Tue Jun 22, 2021 10:00 am This threads title is 2023 election and you don’t want us talking about politics???

The thread title is, specifically, 2023 KCMO Election, and I was lurking in here because I don't live in KC anymore and am not that plugged into what's going on there and was interested in keeping tabs. But then somebody who claims to be disappointed in Lucas because "he's tried to bring national issues into city politics" made the head-scratching decision to, uh, bring national issues into the city politics thread, which has as a predictable result become further poisoned by all of the board racists taking this as your cue to crawl out of the woodwork again to voice all the same disgusting shit we've already heard from you before.

Listen, I'm not a mod, it's not my job to police threads, so I won't keep harping on it (and I'd add that this board's mods typically take an appreciated light touch, so I am not suggesting that a mod should come in here and forcibly shut this down). I only wanted, first, to warn people who typically steer clear of the politics thread that no good would come of engaging with you on this topic (not because it's "scary" to talk about but because it's a waste of time to try to have a good faith conversation about race with somebody who has no interest in confronting their own racism), and second, to suggest that if you really want to flaunt your ignorance further, there's already a better thread for that. Now I've done those things, so I'll leave it at that.
I’m not sure how repeating ideas I’ve learned from black conservatives is racist. I’m also not ignorant about the topic. You seem to be on the side of things that will never actually help the issues. I’ve never said this country doesn’t have a racist past and I’ve never denied why black Americans are in the situations they’re in. To blame it all on slavery or America’s past is shortsighted and won’t help.

And how can you have a good faith conversation about this topic when your first response is I’m racist?

I’m not looking for an excuse to crawl out of the woodwork and show off my racism as you’d suggest. I’m confident I’m not racist and because of that, I’m always willing to talk about racial issues as much as I can. It’s because I have these conversations in real life with people that don’t look like me that I’m ok and confident in what I say on here. Disagree all you want but this apparent eagerness to call anyone who doesn’t jump on the “black people are held down by the white man and that’s to blame for all their issues” a racist is intellectually dishonest. I’m against reparations, I must be racist right?
DColeKC
Ambassador

Post by DColeKC »

Goonies wrote: Tue Jun 22, 2021 3:35 pm My intent for posting that article about Lucas and reparations wasnt to start a debate about reparations that's a topic for another thread. My point was thats yet again another pie in the sky thing Lucas is wasting his time over. Just another example like today's back and forth with the police board. This really isnt accomplishing anything.
I agree with you and I’ll stop debating the issue of reparations.

If someone wants to tell my ignorant self what I’ve said that’s flat out racist, feel free to message me. Please keep it to what I’ve said and not what you think I said or think I’m implying.
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

Director of Innovation of New Jersey City has joined KCMO as an assistant CM.
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

Anthony_Hugo98
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by Anthony_Hugo98 »

Goonies wrote: Sat Jul 17, 2021 2:43 am
FangKC wrote: Sat Jul 17, 2021 1:55 am The hotel program ended Thursday.

https://fox4kc.com/news/kansas-citys-ho ... a-success/
Right. So the city spent millions and we are back to where we were in Feburary. This doesnt look good.
Yeah, I’m confused as to what the goal was? We’re they just trying to keep them out of the elements? Cause I mean if so, kinda successful. Overall the entire program doesn’t look super solid rn, especially if all the claims that there has been thousands up to millions of dollars in damages have any weight to them. What’s the solution going forward? Simply housing the homeless population didn’t seem to solve it, so what’s the next step?
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by beautyfromashes »

I know it's cynical, but perhaps the programs was just providing every last opportunity to help people and a cover to remove people who are still on the street? "You had jobs training options, temporary housing to get on your feet, drug rehabilitation services. We have nothing left to give you, leave the area." ?
Anthony_Hugo98
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by Anthony_Hugo98 »

beautyfromashes wrote: Sat Jul 17, 2021 12:12 pm I know it's cynical, but perhaps the programs was just providing every last opportunity to help people and a cover to remove people who are still on the street? "You had jobs training options, temporary housing to get on your feet, drug rehabilitation services. We have nothing left to give you, leave the area." ?
I mean, where’s the lie though? We’re all these people offered access to all of those programs? If so…that sounds like it’s on them at this point.
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

Anthony_Hugo98 wrote: Sat Jul 17, 2021 12:28 pm
beautyfromashes wrote: Sat Jul 17, 2021 12:12 pm I know it's cynical, but perhaps the programs was just providing every last opportunity to help people and a cover to remove people who are still on the street? "You had jobs training options, temporary housing to get on your feet, drug rehabilitation services. We have nothing left to give you, leave the area." ?
I mean, where’s the lie though? We’re all these people offered access to all of those programs? If so…that sounds like it’s on them at this point.
I'm hopeful there were some success stories and those who wanted help and did the hard work are doing better. I would guess that the effort was largely wasted but doesn't mean it wasn't a worthy pursuit. The results metrics (I assume they aren't very good) will likely influence whether such expensive programs will continue.
KCKev
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by KCKev »

The goal was to stop covid spread. All homeless gathered up and tested keeping them from wandering around and super spreading.
Think things are bad today, could have been many times worse. Feds payed for it not you or the City.
If you're not on the EDGE, you're taking up TOO MUCH ROOM!
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

KCKev wrote: Sat Jul 17, 2021 12:48 pm The goal was to stop covid spread. All homeless gathered up and tested keeping them from wandering around and super spreading.
Think things are bad today, could have been many times worse. Feds payed for it not you or the City.
So, we only really care about the homeless if they can possibly kill us by spreading a disease. Sounds about right.
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

In some of the coverage, they said how many people transitioned in to housing and/or got jobs while they were in hotels. Another gave birth.
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

Goonies wrote: Mon Jul 19, 2021 10:05 am The camp in Westport didn't last long this time I believe they were moved to Pen Valley?
Out of sight, out of mind?
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

Nope. Penn Valley camping also illegal, per Parks. CM Shields said Monday they were offered open beds at shelters, but many of those shelters have restrictions (no drugs, men only, etc.). Pallet shelter is on finance committee agenda this morning.