Sky Box

People say they enjoy Kansas City. Find out why.
WorldTraveler
New York Life
New York Life

Sky Box

Post by WorldTraveler »

It was Kabal and now it is Kabal with plasma screens. Thumping electronic music downstairs and hip hop/top 40 upstairs. Very hot and sweaty with a fairly diverse crowd. Most of the same people that used to go to Kabal. I give it a 5/10.
scooterj
Ambassador

Re: Sky Box

Post by scooterj »

So it's not the upscale sports bar like they were saying it was going to be?
chrizow
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by chrizow »

5/10?  what do other clubs in KC get?  a 1/10?  :lol:

i'll have to check SkyBox out.  if it's anything like Kabal downstairs, i'd say it's a positive addition to the KC scene.  Kabal had great sound and the downstairs was a great space for deep house. 
Moniker
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by Moniker »

Skybox has done exactly the opposite of what they said they were going to do - they implimented top 40 hip hop.

Hello, Club Chemical.
kc-vino
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by kc-vino »

I was their for the Grand Opening and it was great.  The AC went out around midnight so that was not kind at all.  The walls were still drying.  Overall their is room for about 50 more bodies dancing in the basement.  All the old walking bottlenecks are gone.  The DJ booth is moved up on the wall. 

If you want to see pictures check out this link.  http://www.phocas.net/gallery/thumbnail ... m=886  The place is sleek and it isn't done.  The TV's look great.  And yes it will be a great place for sports.  The food will be good also I'm hoping.  September 9th with D:Fuse will be incredible.  If anybody wants to experience interactive dance music at its finest see this guy spin with woman's live vocals and a bongo team accompanying him.
Put your money where your mouth is...live downtown.  Get out of the car and walk, shop, and play in the city.  Don't bring a suburban attitude/lifestyle to the city, rather be apart of changing the urban fabric for the better.
kcmetro
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by kcmetro »

kc-vino wrote: I was their for the Grand Opening and it was great.  The AC went out around midnight so that was not kind at all.  The walls were still drying.  Overall their is room for about 50 more bodies dancing in the basement.  All the old walking bottlenecks are gone.  The DJ booth is moved up on the wall. 

If you want to see pictures check out this link.  http://www.phocas.net/gallery/thumbnail ... m=886   The place is sleek and it isn't done.  The TV's look great.  And yes it will be a great place for sports.  The food will be good also I'm hoping.  September 9th with D:Fuse will be incredible.  If anybody wants to experience interactive dance music at its finest see this guy spin with woman's live vocals and a bongo team accompanying him.
Did you make it into any of those pics? It looks like a pretty cool place. Is there a strict dress code?
scooterj
Ambassador

Post by scooterj »

Well, it's obvious from the pix that this is the kind of place I'll never have any desire to set foot in.  :(

I give it 3 months max before the next shooting.
LenexatoKCMO
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by LenexatoKCMO »

scooterj wrote: Well, it's obvious from the pix that this is the kind of place I'll never have any desire to set foot in.  :(

Too many sports fans?  :lol:
kc-vino
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by kc-vino »

scooterj wrote: Well, it's obvious from the pix that this is the kind of place I'll never have any desire to set foot in.  :(

How about an issue with to much negativity on this forum
Put your money where your mouth is...live downtown.  Get out of the car and walk, shop, and play in the city.  Don't bring a suburban attitude/lifestyle to the city, rather be apart of changing the urban fabric for the better.
kcmetro
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by kcmetro »

Well let's just hope it doesn't become an America's Pub someday. That is the WORST club/bar in KC.
Tosspot
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by Tosspot »

kcmetro wrote: Well let's just hope it doesn't become an America's Pub someday. That is the WORST club/bar in KC.
Its completely unoriginal name clued me into that right away, so I never have stepped foot in the place. I get vindicated everytime people confirm my initial analysis.

photoblog. 

until further notice i will routinely point out spelling errors committed by any here whom i frequently do battle wit
Moniker
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by Moniker »

kc-vino wrote: How about an issue with to much negativity on this forum
It is an undeniable fact that practically every time a club in Kansas City makes a move to host top 40 hip hop on a Friday or Saturday night to draw more people in, that violence ensues. There are over a handful of clubs that lend credit to this fact. I've been involved with the electronic music and club scene in KC since 1995 and have seen this thing done over quite a few times. If you're one of the city's scene veterans, you can certainly attest to this as well.

I have yet to go to Skybox, but I was genuinely hoping that the new owners would stick to their word. A shame, really as I enjoyed Kabal for what it was. Who knows? Perhaps we'll see a better turn-around and larger crowds during Frisky's heyday. I am curious to see how long the electronic music scene can last in a bar that is catering primarily to a sports crowd. A very strange choice of things to mix together, all in all.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

kc-vino wrote: How about an issue with to much negativity on this forum
Agreed....I see nothing in those photos that would be "threatening" to even the littlest old ladies....top 40 music can be done right or it can be done wrong (ala Club Chemical).

Seems like a great place....I do hope they keep the crowd civil and classy.
http://downtownkcmo.blogspot.com

Tweeting live from Big 12 tournament @downtownkc
WorldTraveler
New York Life
New York Life

Post by WorldTraveler »

Moniker wrote: It is an undeniable fact that practically every time a club in Kansas City makes a move to host top 40 hip hop on a Friday or Saturday night to draw more people in, that violence ensues. There are over a handful of clubs that lend credit to this fact. I've been involved with the electronic music and club scene in KC since 1995 and have seen this thing done over quite a few times. If you're one of the city's scene veterans, you can certainly attest to this as well.

I have yet to go to Skybox, but I was genuinely hoping that the new owners would stick to their word. A shame, really as I enjoyed Kabal for what it was. Who knows? Perhaps we'll see a better turn-around and larger crowds during Frisky's heyday. I am curious to see how long the electronic music scene can last in a bar that is catering primarily to a sports crowd. A very strange choice of things to mix together, all in all.
Top floor: top 40/hip hop
Bottom: electronic or whatever you want to call it

The atmosphere is just like Kabal, so I am not sure where the sports theme comes in. My personal thoughts are this is essentially the same thing as Kabal with a renewed interior. After looking through the 200+ pictures it is pretty easy to see that many of the people in attendance were there due to the promotion of opening night. Unfortunately the broken AC means that more than a few people walked out with a bad impression.

Those things aside I do not know how Kabal did financially before closing and remodelling. Kansas City seems to be a saturated right now with club venues. It is almost like each area of the city is only allowed one club; hopefully more people moving downtown means NV and Sky Box can coexist.
kc-vino
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by kc-vino »

KCPowercat wrote: Agreed....I see nothing in those photos that would be "threatening" to even the littlest old ladies....top 40 music can be done right or it can be done wrong (ala Club Chemical).

Seems like a great place....I do hope they keep the crowd civil and classy.
Exactly, their isn't anything threatening to this place.  Is New York a threatening city because it has over 100 establishments similar to this?  Is the threatening element the fact that their is money pooring into the club culture and Kansas City is just to hick to do this right.  Or is it just pre-judging the place on how clubby it looks. 

I think it is the negative attitudes like this that do and will continue to keep this great city hovering around cowtown status.  Seriously, this place is trying to raise the bar, in the same way that Record bar does with live music, or the brick downtown, or ReVerse on the plaza.  Should we aspire that all drinking establishments in the urban core are as familiar as Chilis on Westport Road or as Fratty and comfortable as Harpos, or as predictable as Tanners?

Come on people...think big and respect those who raise the bar and also think big.
chrizow
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by chrizow »

i hope they are able to continue "raising the bar" and not stoop to let in riffraff on slow nights of the week.  once an "upscale" club gets a rep for being "ghetto," it's pretty much over. 

i don't get the Top 40/mainstream rap obsession either.  obviously people seem to like it, but i would think there would be a substantial market of people who are looking for different music and a different vibe.  those people are probably staying at home instead of going out to hear club-rap from four summers ago. 

on that note, it's time to retire "back that ass up" and "yeah."  for the love of god.
Last edited by chrizow on Mon Aug 28, 2006 3:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
kc-vino
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by kc-vino »

kcmetro wrote: Did you make it into any of those pics? It looks like a pretty cool place. Is there a strict dress code?
Yes I'm in the back in a couple.  The dress code is in place but it isn't as strict as NV.  Although it is premature to say it seems like it will be similar to Kabal in that they have a dress code but it isn't over the top.  You approach a pretentious element when you strictly enforce it, and it unfortunately becomes almost counterproductive to encouraging all listeners of electronic music from getting in and having a good time.  I know (unless something totally changes) this place will not be blond or probably not as strict as NV.  But you dress for the event.  And dress codes are really for the people who don't approach it right.  3/4 of people dress up and enjoy getting all decked out when they go to a club or go to dance, but their are always those who don't give a shit or like to thug it out when they club.
Moniker
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by Moniker »

Seriously, a sports bar that plays Top 40 is not "raising the bar". It's saturating it with more mediocrity.
kc-vino
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by kc-vino »

chrizow wrote: i hope they are able to continue "raising the bar" and not stooping to let in riffraff on slow nights of the week.  once a club gets a rep for being "ghetto," it's pretty much over. 

i don't get the Top 40/mainstream rap obsession.  obviously people seem to like it, but i would think there would be a substantial market of people who are looking for different music and a different vibe.  those people are probably staying at home instead of going out to hear club-rap from four summers ago. 

on that note, it's time to retire "back that ass up" and "yeah."  for the love of god.
Could not agree more.  DJ Ataix who plays up stairs really plays more funky stuff.  It isn't like you are listening to Mix 93 or 95.7 The VIBE (thank all the gods!!)  

But I agree, I would like to see them keep it just a lounge on the week days.  You are right....when you dip low for business, you get the ass clowns who just sitting in the place with Range Rovers with sparkly rims.  Put on some downtempo music and make it a chic neighborhood bar where the creative residents of the Rivermarket meet and hang out.  I'd like to see it like a ReVerse on the weekdays
Moniker
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by Moniker »

WorldTraveler wrote: Top floor: top 40/hip hop
Bottom: electronic or whatever you want to call it

The atmosphere is just like Kabal, so I am not sure where the sports theme comes in. My personal thoughts are this is essentially the same thing as Kabal with a renewed interior. After looking through the 200+ pictures it is pretty easy to see that many of the people in attendance were there due to the promotion of opening night. Unfortunately the broken AC means that more than a few people walked out with a bad impression.

Those things aside I do not know how Kabal did financially before closing and remodelling. Kansas City seems to be a saturated right now with club venues. It is almost like each area of the city is only allowed one club; hopefully more people moving downtown means NV and Sky Box can coexist.
It was being advertised as a sports bar in print and by word of mouth. The theme certainly didn't seem prevalent by those pics or from folks who attended that evening. Hard to say really what will end up happening there.

I hope that it can find its own niche. However, the club scene in Kansas City is not thriving by any means and is very self-contained. Perhaps the urban core will find a way to fill all of those empty condos sitting on Broadway, or bring people back from the 'burbs. An entirely different can of worms, but nonetheless a valid concern with revitalizing Kansas City's nightlife. Operators can open up seventeen entirely unique clubs, with great drink specials, food and offer a different type of atmosphere at each yet if you don't have the people to fill them, they're doomed to becoming (yet another) empty husk of a club that will soon be converted into condominiums that can not even be filled or into another club that will see the same, insular crowd albeit under a different name.

Call me a cynic, but I just don't see the club scene exploding anytime soon, unless we intend to snatch up a boatload of Mexicans and dump them into rent control downtown. Hey, at least the Hispanic demographic is brand loyal. :)