Do you subscribe to the Kansas City Star?

Come here to talk about topics that are not related to development, or even Kansas City.

Do you subscribe to the Kansas City Star?

Yes - everyday
46%
Yes - weekend/Sunday
6%
No - I read it online
26%
No - Who reads the paper?
23%

Total votes: 35

chrizow
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: Do you subscribe to the Kansas City Star?

Post by chrizow »

i read the Star, but basically only the Local section, the Business section, the Preview, and Sports during Chiefs season. 

the front page is completely worthless.  if i want to read AP wire tripe, i'll get my news from Yahoo. 

my daily news intake consists of:

1.  KC Star, as decribed above.
2.  New York Times (online).
3.  Washington Post (online).
4.  bbc.co.uk.
5.  cnn.com.
6.  slate.com (news analysis and general hilarity).

unlike Bahua, i want to know what is going on in the world.  i agree that it's frustrating that the news is so frequently ugly, but life is ugly...besides, news outlets (particularly the NYTimes) contain incredibly positive, poignant, and just generally interesting stuff as well.
MidWestSider
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by MidWestSider »

doesnt the star have an 'actual' online version..  layed out identical to the print version?  I've seen kcp post it here a few times.
lock+load
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by lock+load »

MidWestSider wrote: doesnt the star have an 'actual' online version..  layed out identical to the print version?  I've seen kcp post it here a few times.
The front page is online, but I believe that is it.
kard
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by kard »

MidWestSider wrote: doesnt the star have an 'actual' online version..  layed out identical to the print version?  I've seen kcp post it here a few times.
They have a digital delivery version hosted by some other company.  You can see each page of the paper as a pdf or gif or something.  Not bad if you're out of town.

http://kansascitystar.newsstand.com/?KC ... 120050705P

It's *really* expensive, though.

But yeah, their front page is avail. as a free pdf every day.
Haikus are easy
But sometimes they don't make sense
Refrigerator
Brodees
Ambassador

Post by Brodees »

KCMax wrote: I'll admit, its hard to carry my PC into the bathroom to read the Star online when I'm doing my business.
I mastered the art of toilet surfing after the introduction of wireless web--just swing the trashcan around for a stand and set the old laptop down.  It beats the old days of having to flip through newspaper or resort to reading the deodorant/shaving cream bottle if I didn't have the regular material on me.  :shock:

On the topic: I have subscribed to the star since my freshman year in college when they'd just stuff the damn thing into my little mailbox at Naismith Hall.  I even kept my subscription when I moved to D.C. just to support KC's paper even though I'd be getting old news.  Since I moved back, I do not get it because of the apartment complex I'm at now, but I'll resubscribe soon enough.  But I think the Star online and the actual paper both offer their own respective benefits...
bahua
Administrator
Administrator

Post by bahua »

Brodees wrote: I mastered the art of toilet surfing after the introduction of wireless web--just swing the trashcan around for a stand and set the old laptop down.  It beats the old days of having to flip through newspaper or resort to reading the deodorant/shaving cream bottle if I didn't have the regular material on me.  :shock:
I bet you love it when the TSA people handle your computer at the airport.

"Enjoy my hand-chlamydia, suckah!"
Brodees
Ambassador

Post by Brodees »

bahua wrote: I bet you love it when the TSA people handle your computer at the airport.

"Enjoy my hand-chlamydia, suckah!"
Precisely
Gladstoner
Penntower
Penntower

Post by Gladstoner »

I check the birdcage-liner, network news, internet news, etc. to get some background on world events, and then sample the blogs to find out what's really going on.  :wink:

Sometimes, though, it does seems like the traditional media are no different than the blogs, except for the pretense of objectivity.

Regarding the Star.... it's been years since I've subscribed. Printed news has been tedious ever since the advent of internet news. Since national and world events often change by the hour, the Star is already outdated by the time it would reach my porch. Local events? That's what this forum is for.
A fool and your money are soon united.
KC0KEK
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by KC0KEK »

I wish that the Star offered a Tuesday-through-Sunday subscription. The Monday paper is useless as tits on a bull. There's so little in it that it takes about five minutes to read.
lock+load
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by lock+load »

^^Yeah, they charge more for the (larger) Sunday paper, but the same price for the much small Monday paper.  Rip off.
kard
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by kard »

KC0KEK wrote: I wish that the Star offered a Tuesday-through-Sunday subscription. The Monday paper is useless as tits on a bull. There's so little in it that it takes about five minutes to read.
I seem to have a 6 day subscription.  One paper usually walks off my porch each week.
Haikus are easy
Refrigerator
nota
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by nota »

I wish they had an option for an insert free paper.

Hubby and I separate out the junk every Sunday AM. Sometimes the throw away part weighs more than the reading part.
lock+load
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by lock+load »

Save some $$$ with the coupons.

Anyone else only occassionally receive the Best Buy circular on Sundays?  I get one about every third week it seems.  I got one every week without fail in OP.  Maybe Best Buy doesn't believe downtowners are worth advertising to?
kard
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by kard »

lock+load wrote: Save some $$$ with the coupons.

Anyone else only occassionally receive the Best Buy circular on Sundays?  I get one about every third week it seems.  I got one every week without fail in OP.  Maybe Best Buy doesn't believe downtowners are worth advertising to?
I've noticed that, too.  Really annoying.  Circuit City, too.  CompUSA usually shows up.

Thanks for reminding me.  I'm going to send them an email.
Haikus are easy
Refrigerator
nota
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by nota »

I'm a pretty good paper sorter. I save the coupons, but there arent' that many that are for stuff we use.

As far as Best Buy, sometimes we get two or three in our paper. Same with some of the other ads.
lock+load
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by lock+load »

Kard wrote: I've noticed that, too.  Really annoying.  Circuit City, too.  CompUSA usually shows up.

Thanks for reminding me.  I'm going to send them an email.
I've tried using the form on their website to ask about it, but they just send out another paper.  The second copy didn't have the ad either.

I bet I've only seen a Circuit City ad twice in the last year.
kard
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by kard »

lock+load wrote: I've tried using the form on their website to ask about it, but they just send out another paper.  The second copy didn't have the ad either.

I bet I've only seen a Circuit City ad twice in the last year.
I sent Best Buy an email.  They can tell the Star which neighborhoods to send their circular to.  They're leaving us out--on purpose!    :o
Haikus are easy
Refrigerator
nota
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by nota »

Kard wrote: I sent Best Buy an email.  They can tell the Star which neighborhoods to send their circular to.  They're leaving us out--on purpose!    :o
Having worked in retail all my life, I can vouch for this answer. Many stores will snail mail you a copy of their circular if they dont' insert it in your area. Can't hurt to ask.
lock+load
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by lock+load »

The question is why would they not want to distribute their circular downtown?  I understand a grocery store like a Hen House that doesn't have any locations close to downtown, but people will drive 10 miles to Best Buy.
KC0KEK
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by KC0KEK »

Regarding missing inserts, it could be just an inserter malfunction. I haven't had a tour of the Star's new facility, but in other plants I've worked for, it's not uncommon for the inserter to miss here and there. All inserters have sensors to kick out papers that are missing one or more inserts, but not all operators turn them on, especially if they're running behind and don't want the extra work.

At other times, you've probably received two or three of the same insert. Again, the inserter is supposed to catch that, but it doesn't always happen. For example, the flimsy one-page inserts can be a pain in the ass when it comes to feeding doubles or triples.

For an example of what an old school inserter looks like, visit www.227parts.com. The second picture shows a "pocket," which is where the operator loads in stacks of inserts.